Author Topic: Magical Lotus - Mahou Shoujou Byakuren - Episode 5  (Read 98323 times)

Re: Magical Lotus - Mahou Shoujou Byakuren - Episode 5
« Reply #480 on: June 24, 2017, 12:11:37 AM »
>Are there any tengu one could rightly call 'wild' around here?
>Well, I probably wouldn't say it around a tengu, at any rate.

>That depends on which definition of 'wild' we're talking about.
>Rin nods solemnly. Understood.

« Reply #481 on: June 24, 2017, 03:39:58 AM »
>Onward to the shrine

« Reply #482 on: June 26, 2017, 12:08:02 AM »
>Onward to the shrine

>Lessons in Eire phraseology over, you settle into the journey to the southern shrine. It's not the most comfortable bus transit you've ever had, but until the rail transit system in this city is completed, that's just a fact of life. But apart from the crowd, and the malodorous individual standing too close to you, the journey is uneventful. There are some of your schoolmates on the bus, you can tell from sight and sound of voice, but none of them seem to notice you. Bit of an event in and of itself.
>Like the other shrines, the Bird Shrine is located on a hill, and the bus stop to this one leaves you a little more walking to do than the Tiger Shrine. The activity in the sky above you leaves little doubt as to where you are. Mayoiga always has at least a few individuals flitting around the sky, but nowhere are they found in greater numbers or concentration around the Fire Bird shrine. It wouldn't surprise you to learn that this has caused some consternation to low-flying aircraft in and out of the airport. The woodlands around here are a bit thinner than that around the other three shrines, and the sounds of birds are much louder here. It's a nice place, but the sound is a bit marred by what sounds like a piece of heavy equipment in operation from the direction of the shrine.

>Your group is among the eight individuals that disembark the bus at this stop, and straightaway you begin looking around for a suitable place for you and your group to transform. You are here on business, after all. But what grabs your attention almost immediately is the brief flash of magical energy you detect from only a handful of feet behind you.

« Reply #483 on: June 26, 2017, 12:54:28 AM »
>Can we tell what it's coming from?

« Reply #484 on: June 26, 2017, 02:21:51 AM »
>Can we tell what it's coming from?

>It was very brief, and your senses in your human guise are not as sharp as they are in Lotus form. Although, you think they're a bit sharper than they were yesterday. However, you see enough to form a theory. There are two people currently standing behind you, where you felt that flash come from. One man and one woman, and around the woman's neck is a pendant set with a brilliant jewel, evidently a sapphire. This one is remarkable because it looks eerily similar to the Sapphire Jewel Hyozan bore. And from the familiarity of the flash, you believe the woman is Blood.

« Reply #485 on: June 26, 2017, 02:33:59 AM »
>Does she just seem to be going about her innocuous business, as far as we can tell?

« Reply #486 on: June 26, 2017, 02:37:29 AM »
>Does she just seem to be going about her innocuous business, as far as we can tell?

>It's... slightly hard to tell. The woman has a somewhat wary look on her scarred face, the sort of look one wears when they're expecting an unwelcome surprise. On the other hand, her Jewel no longer seems to be active, which presumably it would be if she was expecting some of trouble requiring magic to deal with.

« Reply #487 on: June 26, 2017, 02:46:43 AM »
>Well, let's keep our mystic senses peeled in case something changes and go find somewhere cloistered to transform

« Reply #488 on: June 26, 2017, 03:18:09 AM »
>Well, let's keep our mystic senses peeled in case something changes and go find somewhere cloistered to transform

>Tuning your sensors up a notch, you return to the task at hand. You sense a field of power from farther ahead, most likely some activity at the shrine, or perhaps simply the sensation of the building itself. It doesn't appear to be anything to be concerned about. And the Blood woman, a Tengu by the size and shape of her wings, does not activate her Jewel again as you troop towards the stairs leading up to the shrine. The forested area around here is not walled off, like it is around the Tiger shrine, and is most likely the easiest place to get away from prying eyes. Barring the occasional Divine ghost, of course.
>So the three of you head into the woods, trying to look casual about it, leaving the other temple-goers behind you. The thinner, less dense trees require you to trek farther into the woods to ensure some privacy. A trek less pleasant than usual, thanks to the buildup of snow on the ground. Rin takes the opportunity to change to her cat form, which handles the snow much more easily than you and Minoriko in your boots.
>You have to wait until the air above you is clear as well, as there is no leaf canopy to shield you. But eventually, after your mystic senses, and Rin's superior natural senses, tell you that the area is clear, you and your group transform into your Magical forms.

« Reply #489 on: June 26, 2017, 09:14:15 PM »
>Let's go track down Haruka, then

« Reply #490 on: June 28, 2017, 09:34:13 PM »
>Let's go track down Haruka, then

>With your new clothes on, you and your colleagues head back to the road, which now appears to be clear, and resume course for the stairs leading up to the shrine, like a proper visitor should.
>The stairway leading up to the Fire Bird Shrine has at least one addition the other shrines don't. At the foot of the stairs, leaning against the torii gate, are a pair of rather firmly built shrine maidens. They are there to help the elderly and disabled individuals make their way up to the shrine, either by offering assistance or sometimes by outright carrying them. As obviously none of your group require this assistance, the two women merely give you a friendly nod as you start your climb.

>The front yard of the Bird shrine is a hot bed of activity, a rather large number of people standing, milling, talking, and nearly as many doing the same thing in the air. This is despite the fact that a section of the yard has been cordoned off with safety cones and yellow tape, and a small gang of workers are hard at work replacing a section of damaged concrete.
>For all the winged beings present, none of them are Haruka, so you make for the entrance to the shrine. Given your recent status in the news, you find yourself slightly surprised that no one points you out or calls out to you, at least not as far as you can notice. And this is true right up until you hear the familiar voice of Lily White call out, "Ya-hoo, Lotus!" from the sky above you. The lively little blonde, also in her magical girl form, swoops in from the air. "Just getting here?"

« Reply #491 on: June 28, 2017, 11:50:48 PM »
>"That's right. You as well?"

« Reply #492 on: June 29, 2017, 03:35:26 AM »
>"That's right. You as well?"

>Lily shakes her head. "Been here 'bout ten minutes now." Lily smiles one of her big smiles. "I love this place! It feels like spring here all the time!"
>"Even on a day like today?" Minoriko asks lightly, glancing up at the snowy skies overhead.
>The weather does nothing to visibly dampen Lily's spirits. "Even on a day like today! Part of the magic of this place!"

« Reply #493 on: June 29, 2017, 05:17:52 AM »
>Does it feel like spring to us in any way here?
>Lily's taking our newest addition rather in stride, given that we never mentioned Minoriko to her. ...or did we?
>"Have you seen Chrysanthemum here yet?"

« Reply #494 on: July 01, 2017, 06:17:40 PM »
>Does it feel like spring to us in any way here?
>Lily's taking our newest addition rather in stride, given that we never mentioned Minoriko to her. ...or did we?
>"Have you seen Chrysanthemum here yet?"

>Not even in the slightest. In fact, it feels very much like the cold, snowy winter afternoon that it is. Perhaps there is something about this place that winged beings are uniquely sensitive to. Certainly none of the ones around seem to be suffering visibly in the cold, not even the two fairies that now seem to be following Lily's course down towards you. In fact, the only individual wearing winter clothes at all is a grey-haired elderly tengu miko who is harraunging the construction crew working on that concrete slab. One of them, a long-legged fellow with a slack jaw and bewildered look, is trying to settle her down, but the poor fellow is having no more luck than if he was talking to the tide.
>You did not.
>Lily shakes her head. "Haven't seen her or Poppy. Or you!" she cries happily, giving the surprised Pink Carnation a hug. "I didn't even know you were in town!"
>"I, uh... Had some holdups..." Minoriko stammers, giving you a surprised look.

« Reply #495 on: July 01, 2017, 07:50:50 PM »
>Smile slightly
>To Minoriko: Lily is rather... exuberant. One gets used to it.
>And on the group line: I suppose I neglected to mention our newest companion. Although... Reisen said she became aware of Minoriko joining us as soon as she got her ring. Was that true for you too, Lily?

« Reply #496 on: July 01, 2017, 10:04:56 PM »
>Smile slightly
>To Minoriko: Lily is rather... exuberant. One gets used to it.
>And on the group line: I suppose I neglected to mention our newest companion. Although... Reisen said she became aware of Minoriko joining us as soon as she got her ring. Was that true for you too, Lily?

>I know her by reputation, but, 'in town?' she asks privately.
>'round when was that? Lily asks.
>Around 10, I think? Minoriko replies.
>Ah, that might'a done it. I was asleep.

« Reply #497 on: July 01, 2017, 10:48:46 PM »
>Well, now you know!
>To Minoriko: And your guess is as good as mine. I suppose she thought it some sort of cover story?

« Reply #498 on: July 02, 2017, 12:48:54 AM »
>Well, now you know!
>To Minoriko: And your guess is as good as mine. I suppose she thought it some sort of cover story?

>And knowing is half the battle!
>I suppose I should have asked if our group had one at all. Minoriko admits.

« Reply #499 on: July 02, 2017, 01:06:07 AM »
>To be honest, I've never been very specific with one. I suspect a few people know full well that we're keeping something private, but they've been polite enough not to inquire. I've not implied that this is any sort of secret identity. I think the most reasonable impression is that we're from elsewhere - or at least have been lying low until matters have boiled over of late.

« Reply #500 on: July 03, 2017, 02:22:13 AM »
>To be honest, I've never been very specific with one. I suspect a few people know full well that we're keeping something private, but they've been polite enough not to inquire. I've not implied that this is any sort of secret identity. I think the most reasonable impression is that we're from elsewhere - or at least have been lying low until matters have boiled over of late.

>Lotta that goin' around. Rin remarks.
>It's probably best to keep any such story simple, as well. Minoriko adds. Just in case anyone eventually does ask.
>Someone like Hatate. says Rin. Ya know she will, she ever gets the chance. As if the thought might have summoned the inquisitive Tengu, Rin scans the skies quickly.

« Reply #501 on: July 03, 2017, 02:53:46 AM »
>I have no doubt.
>Let's go see about tracking down Haruka. The others can catch up when they get here.

« Reply #502 on: July 05, 2017, 12:57:24 AM »
>I have no doubt.
>Let's go see about tracking down Haruka. The others can catch up when they get here.

>With Lily added to your party, the four of you work your way towards the Red shrine, the tallest of the four shrines of Mayoiga. Despite Lily's exuberant greeting, you draw no attention as you pick your way through the crowd. Or at least, no one flags you down before you manage to make it to the front door, where within you find a much less active area, but with at least one more prestegious figure present. The head of the shrine, Youmu Konpaku, is standing in the entry chamber, with another miko standing at her right, this one with baby-blue wings and eyes to match. The two are talking to the same tengu woman you sensed use her Jewel just after she got off the bus behind you.
>As you enter the room, you catch Youmu's attention, and the half-ghost cuts herself off from what she was about to say to the Tengu. "Magical Lotus?" she calls to you.

« Reply #503 on: July 05, 2017, 01:01:02 AM »
>"Yes?"

« Reply #504 on: July 05, 2017, 01:20:30 AM »
>"Yes?"

>"We were expecting you yesterday. And it's a shame you weren't here. You and your friends could probably have handled the problem we had before it got out of control."

« Reply #505 on: July 05, 2017, 01:38:13 AM »
>"Yes, I heard about that. I do hope no one was seriously hurt?"

« Reply #506 on: July 05, 2017, 01:56:37 AM »
>"Yes, I heard about that. I do hope no one was seriously hurt?"

>Youmu shakes her head. "Fortunately the damage was limited mostly to the temple itself. You may have noticed we haven't quite finished repairs yet."
>"Goes to show how strong your people are, Youmu." the scarred tengu says to her in a gruff, slightly accented voice. "Rogue demtiaist only manages to peel some paint off the walls, you've got a damn good crew. And you," she adds, turning to face you and your friends. "You fought the Stunts and manged to keep the fight contained to a graveyard. That's no small potatoes either."

« Reply #507 on: July 05, 2017, 01:59:02 AM »
>"We do our best."

« Reply #508 on: July 05, 2017, 02:11:13 AM »
>"We do our best."

>The woman snorts. "Your 'best' and mine are obviously real different." she remarks sarcastically.
>Youmu clears her throat. "I realize you're not the most polite of your group, Cynthia, but I'll ask you not to speak that way to guests of the shrine."
>The scarred tengu makes an irritated, dismissive noise and moves off away from the two mikos, towards the east exit of the room.
>"That's Cynthia Walker." Youmu informs you. "She's here for the same reason you are." Her tone is mild and controlled, but the blue-winged miko next to her looks to be quietly fuming at the tengu's attitude.

« Reply #509 on: July 05, 2017, 02:46:59 AM »
>"Oh?"