Author Topic: The Non-spells discussion topic!  (Read 4101 times)

The Non-spells discussion topic!
« on: April 07, 2017, 05:29:35 PM »
Spellcards are always the topic of discussion since they tend to be way flashier and more elaborated, But I think it cant hurt to appreciate certain non-spells for what they are, right?

Lets see... some notable nons for me. You may copy this list thingy or not:

Hardest non: Rings of Death. I literally cant think of a harder non than this. Its... a bit way too overly hard considering everything else in the game, IMO. Its like it would fit more in something like LoLK. Talking about LoLK, most of Hecatia?s nons are pretty hard to me, mostly because they have absurd HP and take forever to die.

Most fun to dodge non: Sanae?s first non comes to mind. I always enjoyed dodging that non. In fact, I think its the most enjoyable part of the fight tbh. I also like the not-Rings of Death nons of Mokou, because I like dodging amulets :)

Most elaborate non: All Doremy nons impressed me just about as much as the spellcards themselves. They also look cool, not bad for a stage 3 boss. Too bad about the weird difficulty these tend have.

Most annoying non: Kanako?s last non. You know the one. Its not that hard, but its REALLY annoying regardless. Oh and this is kind of a cheap shot, but... Junko. Sorry, but its pretty much the perfect example for this. Also talking about cheap shots, Remillia?s knife non is certainly one.

I could also say easiest non but that's like... anyone could say any random S1 nons... Not much of a point, I think.

Chill Observer

• Aimless fanatic
  • haHAA
Re: The Non-spells discussion topic!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 06:13:10 PM »
Byakuren's 2nd non-spell. Dumb attack. :V
Retired Touhou player. Not involved with anything Touhou anymore.

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 07:38:49 PM »
Good idea for a topic :)

Most fun: I'd agree with Sanae's first (I assume you mean of the boss fight). Oddly enough, I also rather like Merlin's opener, which I do with a satisfying side-to-side dodge. Another very fun one is Tensei's opener in SSS, at least on Normal.

Most elaborate: Any of Rakukun's, but especially the third, which actually varies its second phase depending on your movements in the first phase.

Most annoying: Eirin and Kaguya both have a nonspell that's all about small bullets hiding in the non-hitbox area of large bullets. That's just fake difficulty.

If StB counts, 4-1 is really annoying me at the moment; I've captured everything else in Stage 4, but this is just nonsense.  :(

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 09:11:47 PM »
Sagume's nonspells (mayhaps with the exception of her 1st) are the kind that make me feel I'm doing a good job and will finally capture them, until a very off-place stray bullet comes and hits me in the face.

I wish I knew how to do those without bombing :(

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 10:38:38 PM »
Hardest: Well, technically Gengetsu's time-out phase isn't a spellcard...

Most fun: Sanae has some good ones, but I've always been quite partial to Yuyuko's first and Kanako's third. And while I'm not particularly fond of EoSD as a whole, Sakuya does have some cool nons.

Most annoying: Junko. Definitely Junko. Her third S6 non and her extra nons can go straight to hell.

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 11:38:44 PM »
Hardest non: So many to choose from... I'd have to say Kanako's opener or Byakuren's second. I can survive several waves of Clownpiece or Ringo if I get lucky. But I die consistently on Kanako and Byakuren.

Most annoying: Once again, so many to choose from. Clownpiece takes the cake for this one, specifically her first and second nons. They aren't *hard* per se, but they last forever and are stupid. Micrododging fast bullets in a confined space made by lasers that spawn instantly. Junko's nons are cheapshots but I've warmed up to them a bit. Byakuren's second non is also a contender for top spot. Hecatia's purple nons, where she can fly all the way to the bottom of the screen if your luck is bad, are also a pain.

Most interesting: I've always loved Yuyuko's second non. It's basic streaming, but the way the bullets work out it turns into something way more fun. Orin's nons are also pretty cool (the boss ones, not the spammy cat version ones).

Most fun: Byakuren's fourth non is hands down the best. Besides that, those Eirin and Kaguya bubble nons are some of my favorites (the ones that the person above me said were annoying lol). Hecatia's yellow nons are fun. And despite their difficulty, Ringo's nons are pretty nice as well.
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

ZoomyTsugumi

• zoom zoom
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 12:55:00 AM »
My hardest I'd say is Byakuren's second and Rings of Death.

Most annoying is Junko's trembling shivering star non (only less uniform) and clownpiece's first.

Most interesting I think Byakuren's fourth non is really cool and well made.

Most fun I'd say is Kanako's opener, its super intense in the best possible way and is a good reflex dodge practice. I like Tensei's opener from SSS on Lunatic for this exact same reason.

RB

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 01:31:24 AM »
Hardest non: haven't fought rings of death much so can't really judge its difficulty compared to the other nons, certain contenders for hardest non are doremy's opener even waves (but that's only because no one understand how the waves unfold), shou's 2nd, byakuren's 2nd, hecatia's blue nons, kanako's opener and tensei's opener (SSS fanmeme)

Most fun to dodge non: sakuya's nons and eirin/kaguya's opener are pretty orgasmic. ichiyou's second non is pretty nice too.

Most elaborate non: doremy's, looks so fookin complex (edit: how could I forget about eirin's apollo 13-esque crisscrossy nons)

Most annoying non: kanako's last non cause it takes forever and pretty boring in general, clownpiece's first two for being major runkilling cucks, junko's third maingame non and extra nons can go choke on a dick along with hecatia's second pink non
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 01:41:39 AM by RB »

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 06:51:15 PM »
Hardest: All of the above

Fun: I like supergrazing Parsee's nons, and Yuugi's lasers. Eirin and Kaguya's are pretty nice as well

Annoying: "oh, you're restarting SA's stage 1 for the 100th time this day, it would really be terrible if someone was to go straight down...". Sukuna's nons are pretty nerve-racking too

Talking about LoLK, most of Hecatia?s nons are pretty hard to me, mostly because they have absurd HP and take forever to die.
Every non in LoLK has absurd hp and takes forever to die (except Sagume's, I guess, but she likes to move around a lot so they, too, last forever if you can't follow her)

Also

Why is this allowed?

Things I've done (and maybe will improve):
SA L6MNB | SA Lunatic 3b Scorerun | MoF LNB | PCB LNB |DDC LNB

Jimmy

• Shameless spender
  • gaining big pounds
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 09:31:44 PM »
Oh hey, a thread about nonspells, neat idea :3

Lemme see... I'll be mainly talking about the Normal mode nons here.

So far...

Hardest: Clownpiece out of everyone takes the biggest slice. Her first and second nons keep screwing me over on a regular basis, only possible way to get through is either to have godlike reflexes, Reimu's hitbox or Reisen's triple-shield bomb. Then comes Junko with her 3rd stage 6 non and both of her Extra nons, their density is absurd, it's near impossible to properly navigate through them unless you're using Reimu and make extremely precise movements. Orin's last two and Byakuren's last two nons tend to take most of my remaining resources as well. IN's Marisa takes a slice here too, all of her nons there are really damn tough and a huge difficulty spike compared to Keine.

Most annoying: Youmu and Lunasa. While not necessarily very hard, they're really dense and navigating through them is kinda a pain in the butt. Also there's Benben with her first and third nons, the randomness in the former and the tight squeezes through the slow musical notes while watching for fast ones in the latter tend to wreck me too. Raiko's fifth non and Yoshika also have a share here.

Most interesting: I've been taking a considerable liking to Doremy's spiraling nons, their patterns are simple but yet appear to be very elaborate and kinda elegant, mainly because of how they're alluding Doremy's ability being dreams-related and the fact that spiraling visual effects rather have an hypnotic effect on people and make them sleep, which I think is pretty clever. Sekibanki's nons, while a bit underwhelming in terms of difficulty, seem quite interesting to me as well, because of her being a rokurokubi/nukekubi-type youkai and the bullet trails coming out of her resemble both stretched necks and multiple heads flying away from her leaving a trail behind.

Most fun: Ringo's nons are a thrilling grazefest. Patterns are simple but they're kinda fun to dodge. Otherwise I somehow can't really recall any specific pattern that sorta stands out. I basically find all nons more or less fun, even if they're listed in the first two categories.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 09:35:03 PM by Jimmy »
Normal 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC, LoLK Legacy, HSiFS, WBaWC
Hard 1cc: IN, DDC, HSiFS
Extra clears: MoF, DDC, HSiFS, WBaWC

Goals: Going Extra Hard!

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 10:30:39 PM »
I always really liked Wakasagihime's nonspells! They're only stage 1 nonspells, but they look nice and I enjoy dodging them.

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 09:42:02 AM »
having played only Touhou 8,13 and 12, i'd say Byakuren's second, Murasa's Third and Shou's second are the hardest ones i've seen.

Nim

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2017, 02:31:42 AM »
I don't remember nonspells much. These are the ones that I remember the most for each category.

My Hardest Nonspell: Probably Mokou's nonspells after her second spellcard, along with Yuyuko's 2nd and 3rd nonspell.

My Most Interesting Nonspell: I really find Remilia's nonspell before Scarlet Shoot quite interesting. It really feels as if she is actually trying to kill you, even if that's not the case, and it's especially fitting with the "this is the end feel" part of her theme.

My Most Annoying Nonspell: Kanako's last nonspell...no, just no.

My Most Fun Nonspell: I really love Shou's nonspells. They aren't actually that bad to me. I find it quite fun identifying where the lasers will go. I also love most of Marisa's IN nonspells too, because grazing gives me a really good feeling.

TableCloth

• Call of Loli: Waifu Warfare
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2017, 12:25:32 PM »
Hardest: Junko's last non. That one took forever to beat and can be silly at times. Honorable mention to Kanako's and Mokou's Rings of Death, Clownpiece's 1st non, and Orin's 3rd non.

Easiest: Utsuho's 1st non, because lol. Honorable mention to Kanako's 2nd non, Yuyuko's last non, and Remilia's 3rd non. Wait, that was all from last bosses...

Most interesting: Shou's nonspells, obviously. They're also the rare case of nonspells that look better than the spell. Honorable mention to Doremy's last non, Kanako's 2nd non, and Utsuho's 3rd non.

Most annoying: Eirin's 3rd. RNG can either make it really easy or really hard. Honorable mention to Reisen's 2nd, Remilia's 1st on lower rank, and Junko's 3rd & last.

Most fun: Orin's 2nd. Being able to go YOLO all the way is just really fun. Then again, Orin is pretty fun as a bossfight overall. Honorable mention to Kanako's 3rd, Yuugi's 1st, and Doremy's 2nd.
Normal 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, LoLK, HSiFS
Hard 1cc: MoF, IN, SA, PCB
Lunatic 1cc: MoF, IN

Currently struggling against depression by writing a light novel. Also, stop talking about nazi. The fact that I have Swastika in my name makes me stressed whenever anyone brought up any topic related to nazi and neo-nazi (unless we're talking about history, then I'm up for it). No, I'm not a neo-nazi. Neither are my parents. F**k off.