Author Topic: So someone made ransomware that wants you to get 200M pts in UFO Lunatic...  (Read 4345 times)

They meant to use this as a joke, but apparently even they had trouble with it and eventualy made a neutralizer for it...

Zelinko

• The Wandering Mind
See with Ransomware makers I'm usually line em up and have em shot.

This guy deserves to suffer.
This Space For Rent

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
Well, this thing better not end up in the wild, if only because it is, apparently, terribly written and might malfunction in any number of ways. It might have been conceived as a joke, but the joke sort of loses appeal when actual encryption and real risk of irretrievable data loss is involved. Also I have a feeling most people would rather pay $200 or something than struggle with UFO Lunatic
Рабинович глядит на плакат ?Ленин умер, но дело его живет!?
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

The guy that made it took down the original source and replaced it with a version that had no file encryption stuff, and he also provides a program that just decrypts the files without having to get 200M points.

people got mad cuz they can't play Touhou
1CCs: EoSD (Normal, MarisaB)
Aiming for PCB Normal MarisaB next!

Holy crap, actual Touhou Hijack.

This is pretty disgusting.
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

Lt Colonel Summers

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Do not mess with a soldier
Someone took "Touhou Hijack LOL" to such literal extremes that it became illegally offensive.

Damn...
There's nothing inscribed on the dog tag...

Thankfully, this has a happy ending, the creator of the virus made a program that forces off the virus and apologized for his crimes.
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

Drake

guys do you not get that it was a joke the dude made for himself and did not actually go spread this or anything like holy shit calm down

literally this would have gone nowhere if not for the viral spread of its existence and the number of bad assumptions that this was a serious attempt at malware

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Lt Colonel Summers

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Do not mess with a soldier
guys do you not get that it was a joke the dude made for himself and did not actually go spread this or anything like holy shit calm down

literally this would have gone nowhere if not for the viral spread of its existence and the number of bad assumptions that this was a serious attempt at malware

But how can anyone be not worried about malwares in general in this modern age of digital information?
Thankfully the creator realized that his joke is downright offensive, and apologized to the whole world along with releasing a "cure" for the whole mess. But the point is, malwares are not funny at all even if you intend it to be.
There's nothing inscribed on the dog tag...

Drake

it isn't offensive, it isn't even tasteless, it was an entirely personal programming project that had zero effect on you

you're just being taken in by the rhetoric of news outlets that make it seem like he spread it out in the wild for the purpose of infecting people, when really all they did is stream their development and have the source code public on github, which was merely irresponsible at worst, but who the heck would care about some total rando's code repo? nobody, until its existence went viral by accident

if you're "worried" by how news outlets were reporting it then be mad at the news outlets, which are the only reason this even got any traction as a story

nav: Agreed!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 10:02:28 AM by Drake »

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
"Irresponsible" is the word. It's pretty damn irresponsible to leave a weapon lying around in a public place, no matter how unlikely you think it is for people to find it, or if it has a piece of paper saying "haha its just a joke lol" glued to it. Thus I'm very glad the author understood his actions were plain stupid. Releasing a fix and apologizing was a mature act and precisely what needed to be done in this situation.
Рабинович глядит на плакат ?Ленин умер, но дело его живет!?
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Kurzov

• All good things must come to an end sometime.
And now Danooct1 made a video about it. At least he's not calling it an anime ~~cough cough Kotaku cough cough~~
"Better think awhile
Or I may never think again
If this were the last day of your life, my friend
Tell me, what do you think you would do then?"
~ Genesis (Undertow, 1978)

Drake

danooct1's video is actually quite well-balanced, non-judgemental, and definitely worth a watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35mNhYY3O3k

trigger warning for extremely light teasing if you're a dumb fuck tho