Author Topic: Touhou 8 data reset  (Read 4464 times)

Touhou 8 data reset
« on: April 06, 2017, 08:47:32 PM »
When playing Touhou 8, I was trying to start a run over when the game stopped responding. I exited the game and went back in, but my save data was gone. I couldn't access Extra or Practice mode, my spell card list was empty, only my replays remained.

Could someone tell me how to restore the data? I was using the latest thcrap build too.

Drake

Re: Touhou 8 data reset
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 05:25:34 AM »
thcrap probably doesn't have anything to do with it. If you don't save backups, you're kind of in trouble. Save backups.

Recuva might potentially find a previous version of the score.dat file? But generally when a program has write-access and just writes over the file (rather than the user doing something like manually replacing the file or accidentally deleting it) it's basically gone. Touhou games will simply create a new score.dat on launch if it cannot read the old one (e.g. if it doesn't exist or is corrupt) so that is probably what happened.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 05:29:18 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 12:00:01 AM »
Recuva didn't seem to find anything. Could doing a System Restore help? I'm not that knowledgeable with computers, but I did set a restore point about 2 weeks ago.

Drake

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 02:47:23 AM »
Restore points only deal with important things like operating system files, settings, etc. You're out of luck there.

Windows 8 and on has a thing called File History that works to backup misc. files, but you have to opt into that and you'd probably already know if it were active.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -