Author Topic: Persona 5: As swag as you'll never be  (Read 26088 times)

commandercool

• alter cool
Re: Persona 5: As swag as you'll never be
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2017, 02:26:13 PM »
Spoiler:
I mean, there are skill cards in this game so he has all of the elements the rest of my party doesn't and a handful of statuses and healing spells. It's not like he just has his starting spells.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Lt Streko

• Gates of Yukari
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2017, 04:51:09 PM »
About social links...
Spoiler:
There's a real lack of parity so far with how useful the social link effects are. On one hand you have effects like "basically unlimited SP in exchange for a one-time money investment" (Death), "add a bunch of days to the calendar" (Temperance) and "use your whole party all the time" (Star), and on the other hand you have minor buffs to nearly-irrelevant mechanics like negotiation and security (Sun and Devil). Although I haven't maxed out a single social link yet, so maybe the very late bonuses even things back out and make rushing the seemingly-mediocre ones worth it after all.

Spoiler:
Honestly I think the Sun social link is really good. Skip negotiations sometimes, get loads of money, ect. I do agree some of the links are much stronger than others, though I think Star's strength is really situational, especially since I just stick with the same party (usually). I will agree though the Devil's link could be much better, though it's very useful if you just want to run by enemies and not fight them. Besides one of my favorite personas is Lilim and she's Devil...

Speaking of favorite personas, at this point I have almost all of them now that I got Scathach. I wasn't sure if one of them was in the game still, but I jumped in joy once I maxed out the Death social link
Spoiler:
ALICE HERE I COME MWAHAHA
. So all I need now is Cu Chulainn and I'll be happy
Spoiler:
and alice once i hit level 72 >.>
. Anyways just a few days away from resolving the 5th change of heart. Things are getting interesting.
Uwaaaa~

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2017, 12:08:16 AM »
I mean, thanks to
Spoiler:
the strength and sun arcanas I managed to accomplish this, so I'd say Sun is puretty good

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2017, 12:22:28 PM »
I'm at the end of November.

Shit is balls crazy.

But I love it.
Spoiler:
That said, that long scene with the two villains basically jerking each other off while explaining the plot was a bit on the nose. They could have done that scene much better, and much shorter.

Mr. Sacchi

• All shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.
  • Not postponed. Not in the end. Not for long.
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2017, 12:12:29 AM »
Okay so I can't write the extreme essay I want to so I can gush about how much I loved Persona 5, but I have enough time to ask this:

SPOILERS FOR BOTH PERSONA 5 AND PERSONA 3 TRUE ENDINGS:

Spoiler:
So, Mementos (and the Holy Grail, and Yaldabaoth) were explained as representing all of humanity right? And presumably, by stealing Memento's treasure at the end, we are changing humanity as a whole for the better. Wouldn't this sort of imply that people are no longer wishing for The Fall? Or at least not nearly as much? Wouldn't that make Erebus significantly weaker and unable to open Nyx's Door? Doesn't that mean that, if future Persona games continue in this continuity, that we could potentially see Yuki (P3 Protag) come back? After all, he isn't actually fully dead, and a good portion of the reason the SEES members are still fighting is to make the world better so people stop wishing for The Fall, and The Great Seal is no longer needed.

I know this is all speculative, but that was the first thing that popped into my mind while watching the credits, and the actions of the Phantom Thieves certainly had more direct effects on humanity as a whole than that of SEES or the Investigation Team, since the people of Tokyo actually get to watch Satanael descend and shoot Yaldabaoth in the face.

Also, can I just say how Satanael shooting Yaldabaoth in the face is the absolute most badass thing ever? Because it is.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2017, 05:25:31 PM »
Welp, I'm pretty sure I just got slapped upside the head with an unwanted, untagged major plot spoiler on another site. I guess I just gotta hope what I saw was just speculation and not an actual spoiler, because if it was then that's preeeeetty shitty. :wat:

I'm about halfway done with the fifth dungeon. My taste for the characters is starting to solidify and shift a little.
Spoiler:
Morgana has been my favorite since the beginning and still is. I really really like Haru although I haven't seen much of her, and I'm increasingly liking Yusuke. Meanwhile, Ryuji has tanked down to "can we just vote him off the team?"-tier. He's the whiniest, dumbest piece of shit ever who contributes nothing and I'm tired of him. He might be even worse than Yosuke, and I REALLY didn't like Yosuke.

The social links seem very strong so far for the most part in P5. After P4 had almost all forgettable social links I feel like P5 is giving P3 a run for its money for consistent quality. I know I'm still missing at least a couple of them, but aside from maaaaybe Devil I look forward to progressing all of the ones I have.

On another note, can we talk about the weird homophobia? What the fuck is with the Persona franchise and homophobia? Not only can we not get a single gay character since the franchise has backpedaled on Kanji apparently, but it periodically cracks pretty offensive gay jokes. I was really hoping there would be a male romance option in this game and while I don't know for sure that there isn't I suspect there's not because it probably would have been heavily covered by now. I feel like this game owed us a gay party member after how unfortunately homophobic Persona 4 was at times, but what we got was a couple of broad gay stereotypes who appear only as the butt of jokes. Ugh.
Spoiler:
I know this is a different thing entirely, but at least there's a pretty cool crossdressing character in the drag queen at the bar? I really wish he was the social link there instead of the reporter.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 05:27:04 PM by commandercool »

Teewee

• In the forest, lazing around...
  • ...building nothing but clay castles.
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2017, 05:59:42 PM »
Agreed about the homophobia. Seems especially weird since yaoi has been pretty popular in Japan for a while, but maybe the writers just didn't care about that and projected their own feelings.

I haven't bought the game yet, though I've been watching LPs, and I love what I've seen thus far. Between 3, 4, and 5, I'd say 5 has (by far!) the strongest philosophical ground with its main theme. Persona 3 was kind of Captain Obvious with the
Spoiler:
death theme
, Persona 4 was kind of hypocritical about the
Spoiler:
truth theme
, but I've not yet seen such problems in P5's delivery of its message.

On another note, was anyone else surprised to find out about the hostage mechanic? Man, that threw me for a loop.

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2017, 04:02:59 PM »
Beat the game. It was pretty damn great. There's only a few sticking points that I'm dissatisfied with, such as commandercool's observation about homophobia
Spoiler:
though at least they made a crossdressing or trans (it's unclear which) character that is very interesting and fun to interact with without being offensive (in my opinion, at least)
, and a certain character basically dropping off the face of the earth near the end, but I think overall this is my favorite out of the bunch.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2017, 07:07:06 PM »
Just beat the fifth boss. The boss fights are pretty interesting in P5, which is tricky to pull off.
Spoiler:
I'm finding myself getting nervous about what the often-referenced terrible thing that's going to happen will be, although I have a guess based on that spoiler I got ambushed by the other day. That's a good deal, since a game that can cause anxiety is a game where I really care what's going on.

Beat the game. It was pretty damn great. There's only a few sticking points that I'm dissatisfied with, such as commandercool's observation about homophobia
Spoiler:
though at least they made a crossdressing or trans (it's unclear which) character that is very interesting and fun to interact with without being offensive (in my opinion, at least)
, and a certain character basically dropping off the face of the earth near the end, but I think overall this is my favorite out of the bunch.

Spoiler:
If I'm not mistaken Lala is a drag queen, which is distinct from being trans. I hope I'm not confusing my terms here, but I believe drag queens identify as male, and I think it was mentioned at one point that that's what he was. And yeah, I really like him. He's a cool character and honestly doesn't really ever come off as just being a punchline, unlike those two gay guys. Like I said, I wish he had been a social link instead of the reporter lady. I want to know what his story is and I don't really care what her story is.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2017, 07:53:24 PM »
Finally beat it last night. 102:32 hours clear time, Hard Blind with like 10 hours lost to some 30 odd deaths or so. Amazing game.
Spoiler:
The cheater's Valentine's Day scene is amazing and you should all watch it
It was a bit challenging up to the 3rd Palace but then I maxed a few Confidants and the difficulty dropped quite a bit.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2017, 09:54:45 PM »
I'm about 40 hours in so far and have devoted this entire day to playing. Finished with 3rd dungeon not too long ago.

I really feel like this is one of the most well-polished games I have ever played-- the game moves slowly, but never feels like a drag. Though I will say the 3rd dungeon was annoyingly long and all I could think the whole time playing it was "god, there's MORE?"

I'm also liking all of the Confidants a lot so far as well-- I like how a lot of their skills actually feel useful, too-- it motivates me to actually want to focus on them as well as focus on leveling up personal stats.

That said, I'm growing more and more annoyed with how often you're given the illusion of choice in the evenings. Your time in the evening is either straight up taken away from you by whatever event during the day, or you're railroaded into an event in the evening, or you'll come home but Morgana's all HEY YOU SHOULD SLEEP-- so why give me any control at all and make me think I can do stuff when the only option I have is to sleep? That's really annoying.

Also, agreed on
Spoiler:
the homophobia and Lala Escargot. At the very least, the dudes seemed to be a one-off thing rather than the constant shit Kanji had to deal with?

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2017, 10:10:01 PM »
Unfortunately no, they appear several times later on. And it's always like that.

As for the Morgana monopolizing your evenings, that's one of the biggest complaints people have with the game and spawned this great shirt among other memes. Without spoiling anything specific I'll say there are contract abilities that ease up the restrictions a little, but it never stops being annoying.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2017, 11:46:20 PM »
I heard about a Confidant who does that, and I'm making a point of investing every chance I get into seeing them. It helps that I like them a lot and find them to be a really relatable character.

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2017, 08:17:37 AM »
http://kotaku.com/this-might-be-persona-5s-biggest-translation-fail-1794223069
This is where the art of localization, as opposed to straight translation, would preserve the experience?had the question simply been removed and replaced with a question about, say, the origins of a chess piece, it would have given American players the same type of challenge as is being presented to Japanese players here.
I swear to god, why are there whiny babies who like themselves catered to their every whim?

The network is there to help you, plus if you even have access to the network, I doubt you don't have the phone to google it off. I can understand the stiff translations, making it unnatural from time to time, but seriously this is just nitpicking even the stuff that shouldn't be bothered with.

Finally beat it last night. 102:32 hours clear time, Hard Blind with like 10 hours lost to some 30 odd deaths or so. Amazing game.
Spoiler:
The cheater's Valentine's Day scene is amazing and you should all watch it
It was a bit challenging up to the 3rd Palace but then I maxed a few Confidants and the difficulty dropped quite a bit.
100 hours? Did you get all the trophies and NG+? Looks like I'm still pretty far off.

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2017, 10:34:18 AM »
Nah just played the game

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2017, 12:55:52 PM »
Meh. I'm simply used to most Persona class/exam questions being more relevant to Japanese contexts and I have always just looked up the answer. I'd rather have that and not break the very obvious Japanese atmosphere (and maybe learn a bit of Japanese culture/trivia along the way) than have content changed just because it doesn't make as much sense to me. The shogi question was confusing, but it's not like it took any effort to look at the network for the answer.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2017, 02:30:58 PM »
See I didn't think the Shogi question was that confusing given the context it was presented in. My roommate lost his goddamn mind and ranted about how unfair and broken it was when he got to that part a bit before me so I expected way worse, but you can kind of feel that one out with context.

That said, it didn't have to necessarily break the atmosphere if they had wanted it to be able chess or something. There are already enough West-specific questions presented as "these Japanese kids are learning about the West in class" that it would have been unnoticeable.

Lt Streko

• Gates of Yukari
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2017, 05:36:09 PM »
So my attempt to complete Persona 5 before the weekend was over has failed (God damn it playoff hockey). I think I'm past the point of no return, and I'm so upset I JUST missed on maxing out the Empresses confidant rank. I'm pretty sure I'm near the end now, after all my Alice is level 92 (Going to be at least level 94 after I use the Gallows) and I'm halfway through the
Spoiler:
final (??) mementos dungeon
. So far my main personas are Cu Chulainn (78?) and Scatbach (70?) for the mobs, with Alice being my "Fuck everything" and boss fighting persona. Main party is Makoto, Ryuji, and Haru/Morgana. Either way I'm super pumped and once I get home I'm gonna push through to the end(?). I probably should have done more grinding, since I'm only level
Spoiler:
62ish
, but OH WELL.

But I must ask to those have completed the game:
Spoiler:
Am I almost done? I defeated Shido, and I'm in the mementos dungeon and they said I'm about halfway through. Is the upcoming boss whatever it is, the end or not? Try to keep spoilers to a minimum, I just want to know when I can resume my 'normal' social life.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 05:46:34 PM by Lt Streko »
Uwaaaa~

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2017, 05:53:15 PM »
It's easier to just say what date you're on so I know your exact progress

Lt Streko

• Gates of Yukari
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2017, 09:30:24 PM »
Rip, my bad. I couldn't remember off the top of my head since I was at work.

The date is
Spoiler:
12/24

Edit: Actually don't tell me. I'll figure it out.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 10:07:27 PM by Lt Streko »
Uwaaaa~

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2017, 09:33:22 PM »
Alright, I'm in late October and Ryuji
Spoiler:
did one of his characteristic whiny bitch freakouts, but actually apologized and acknowledged it this time.

I'm just going to pretend nothing else he's done after the first six hours of the game happened and let him have another shot. If the awful whiny bitching was actually part of his arc and it goes somewhere then fair enough I guess.

Mr. Sacchi

• All shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.
  • Not postponed. Not in the end. Not for long.
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2017, 12:51:21 AM »
That said, I'm growing more and more annoyed with how often you're given the illusion of choice in the evenings. Your time in the evening is either straight up taken away from you by whatever event during the day, or you're railroaded into an event in the evening, or you'll come home but Morgana's all HEY YOU SHOULD SLEEP-- so why give me any control at all and make me think I can do stuff when the only option I have is to sleep? That's really annoying.

I was annoyed at it too until I realized exactly why it's done, cutting your evenings off after dungeon crawling but still allowing you to move slightly makes sense when you consider that
Spoiler:
one of the Confidants removes that restriction
and the parts with Morgana telling you to go to sleep when you can't leave your room can be summarized in "the devs wanted you to be able to use the nutrients in the plant in your room whenever it was possible". Also the fact that you can craft tools the night you decide to send the calling card.

I think one of my biggest complaints with P5 right now is the bonus boss
Spoiler:
namely that you gain extra rewards for surviving a certain number of turns, and the first reward tier is an accessory that increases EXP gain by a whopping 50%... that you can't get early on because they kill you at turn 6 if you don't deal enough damage.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2017, 12:54:01 AM »
It also lets you save before getting forced onward to the next day

Lt Streko

• Gates of Yukari
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2017, 04:47:56 PM »
Billy Mays lives on in the Persona series. You think the end is near, but suddenly "WAIT THERE'S MORE!"

Anyways, I finally beat the game and holy crap was that amazing. Definitely my favorite Persona game and the best game I've played in many years. I have to say, I thought the characters were much stronger overall and felt less forced. There weren't really any characters that I disliked, unlike Persona 3 and 4 where I felt many of the characters were rather poor. Makoto is best girl, but the rest of the main party I found myself loving more and more as the game went on. At first I thought I was going to dislike Ryuji, as the main 'best friend' character in 3 and 4 were rather poor. It was hard to like Junpei when he kept blaming and yelling at the main protag for EVERY LITTLE THING. And Yusuke didn't really contribute anything to the plot and I couldn't get a good feel for his character. In Persona 5, I felt everyone had a well established character and I could understand them, even the Confidants/Social Links were much stronger than in the other persona games which made it worthwhile from a story standpoint to progress through them and level up their bonds. Not to mention the soundtrack was amazing.

MAJOR PLOT SPOILERS
Spoiler:
I have to say using the voice acting change as a red herring for the fake Igor was brilliant along with the whole fusion of Justine and Caroline. I was flipping the fuck out when that happened. I had wondered why they changed the English voice actor... Either way, nice job Atlas. Not to mention the whole rival thing with Goro Akechi was pretty cool, and I LOVED the fact that his persona was Loki. Also, the 'bad' ending where you strike a deal with the fake Igor is pretty interesting, and is worth checking out if you haven't already.

Anyways 10/10. Would fuse again.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 04:50:59 PM by Lt Streko »
Uwaaaa~

« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2017, 08:20:02 PM »
Lt Streko:
Spoiler:
The Japanese VA for Igor had passed away, so they were going to have a new voice for him anyways, and they took the opportunity to throw people off with the "new" direction Igor was going with. I don't think it was as effective in English, but I still enjoyed it and had fun theory crafting what was going on with Igor.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2017, 03:45:06 PM »
God, it's so hard to scroll through this thread and not touch the spoilers.

I'm almost through September myself, aka "the month where they rip the controller out of your hands and don't let you accomplish anything for two and a half weeks because of
Spoiler:
the vacation and Morgana's self-esteem issues
". That was... frustrating. I really am wondering how much time I have left in the game; I finished
Spoiler:
Kawakami
's Confidant path this morning, so I'm pleased to finally have that done because I liked her a lot and her level 10 ability should prove incredibly useful. I am stressing out a bit about getting my charm up for
Spoiler:
Takemi
, my knowledge maxed for
Spoiler:
Hifumi
and my guts up for
Spoiler:
Iwai
-- and I don't even know what I need for
Spoiler:
Haru
yet, and I heard that you don't have a lot of time to max her out. I really wish the game would stop making me feel like I'm not allowed to do anything. And it's kind of disappointing, because it's pretty much my only irritation toward what is an absolutely superb game so far. In fact, half the reason why I really want to get my Confidants maxed out is because for the first time in ever, I feel kind of motivated to try to get every trophy in the game, but this one will probably be one of the hardest if it means I have to go all the way through a New Game+ just to accomplish that, unless there's some way that you can make things go faster. I haven't even started the link for
Spoiler:
the politician
yet, because I heard the skills from his path aren't that useful. But since you meet him early on, I'm not too concerned that it would take too long to do if I focus solely on that.

Also,
Spoiler:
Futaba
is the best girl to end all best girls.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 03:46:49 PM by Matsuri »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2017, 03:55:47 PM »
Definitely do
Spoiler:
the politician
. I still question the value of the abilities he gives you, but I know some people who still insist they're top-tier. Aside from that though he's extremely easy to to rank up (I don't think I ever spoke to him without getting a rank) and I found him to be one of the best in the game from a story perspective.

Regarding
Spoiler:
Haru
, I delayed entering the sixth dungeon significantly because I wanted her to get Baton Pass, but she just won't talk to me after a certain point and there doesn't seem to be a stats reason for it, so you may have to be at a certain point in the story that I'm not at yet or something to do her social link beyond the first few ranks. I hope I didn't goof up my ability to finish it by waiting that extra week or so.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 03:56:18 PM by Suwako Moriya »

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2017, 05:27:31 PM »
Spoiler:
NG+ is 100% required to even get the plat trophy so don't worry about doing it first playthrough.

As for Haru, I know your party doesn't appear for links if you are able to send out the calling card, so it's probably just that they won't hang out until you finish the dungeon and send it out.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2017, 05:37:16 PM »
Also,
Spoiler:
Futaba
is the best girl to end all best girls.

Does anyone know how old she's supposed to be?
Spoiler:
I think she's supposed to be 14-15, right? But every time I look at her my estimation drops...
. She's a great character that I like a lot, but would not date ever.
Spoiler:
For multiple reasons, since her relationship to the protagonist definitely feels very little sister/big brother to me at this point. Maybe that changes later on, I don't know. I'm only a few ranks into her contract.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2017, 05:57:00 PM »
Spoiler:
I'm not entirely sure. 15 sounds about right, and protag is assumably 16-17, so I don't think it's necessarily out of line. Though it does kind of have a sibling vibe to it... we'll see how it goes, but I do know that she's definitely my favorite character by a long shot so far, and that's saying a lot when there aren't many characters I don't like to at least some degree (while Ryuji, Morgana, and Ohya are characters that kind of irritate me for various reasons, they aren't characters I straight up loathe like Yosuke from P4, for example.)

On the other hand,
Spoiler:
this is a game where you can just outright date the adult characters, too. It was hard to turn Kawakami down, because she's probably one of my new favorite NPC social links in the entire Persona series so far

And good to know re: 100%ing the game. Is it just straight up impossible to max everyone and everything out in one playthrough? I know you're supposed to be able to play perfect games of P3 and 4, but it does involve a very strict plan and a little RNG.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 06:01:08 PM by Matsuri »