Author Topic: What did Touhou taught you in Life?  (Read 5371 times)

What did Touhou taught you in Life?
« on: March 29, 2017, 01:51:12 PM »
Uh, hi. This is going to be my first thread. I hope I'm in the correct section.

So I was wondering if some of the fans here had some small realization because of Touhou. Like did it have some good and positive effect on your lives. Because from what I saw on Touhou (for the past 2 years), it had some interesting content. For example is the story itself, the mechanics of the game, the characters, the place, the power each girls have, everything. So I really think anyone here, or everyone here, had a new point of view because of Touhou.

And I'm gonna start with some simple things that Touhou taught me. First, Touhou taught me that completing Easy difficulty won't get you anywhere. You won't even be called as a good Touhou gamer if Easy is the only thing you can clear. You won't be called an average Touhou player if you can't at least master Normal or Hard difficulty. Same with life. As long as you always take the easy path, you're still not good enough.

I know this thread is a dumb idea. But I hope I can garner some lessons that Touhou taught you.

How about you? What did Touhou taught you in life?

Thank you so much for having me. :)

Suspicious person

• Just a humble wanderer
  • How suspicious~
Re: What did Touhou taught you in Life?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 03:05:21 PM »
Touhou taught me that violence solves everything  :)

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 04:19:50 PM »
Touhou has taught me that the Xbox 360 contoller's dpad is quite possibly the worst dpad that has ever existed, that display latency matters when precision movement is involved, and that no matter how hard a game looks to you at first it is still possible to clear/win/etc. if you spend enough time playing it.

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 04:42:59 PM »
Touhou taught me that violence solves everything  :)
Goodness I did not see that coming bruh lmao

Touhou has taught me that the Xbox 360 contoller's dpad is quite possibly the worst dpad that has ever existed, that display latency matters when precision movement is involved, and that

And woah. Never had any experience with controllers and display latency, but that is indeed true.

So is the fact that..
no matter how hard a game looks to you at first it is still possible to clear/win/etc. if you spend enough time playing it.

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 12:49:40 AM »

This aphorism summarizes perfectly what Touhou retaught me. I started playing Touhou pretty recently, and I joined in with the "I'll never get really good at this" attitude. By simply playing one round per day I managed to improve quite a lot. My first accomplishment being 1cc'ing EoSD on Normal. Not much, but for me it was quite the achievement.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 11:58:25 AM »
Touhou taught me to appreciate fantasy and magic again. The older you get, the more you get sucked into the Real World of duties, responsibilities, and practical matters. Sometimes everyday life becomes a series of repetitive movements, taking on and checking off one task after another on your daily list.

With Touhou, here you have a magical land of magical beings with rich lives. It's a violent world, and life is hard for a lot of characters, but not in the same way life is hard for us. When you think about Cirno at Misty Lake, Kaguya at Eientei, Reimu at her shrine, and so forth, you are asked to imagine these characters as real people with vibrant daily lives filled with magical forces that are sadly absent from our daily lives.

Not to say that real life sucks or something, or that Gensokyo can't be a stressful place. But ZUN has put so much effort into world-building, and it's refreshing and relaxing to let your mind wander into that world he built.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Jeremie

• MoonScraper
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 01:36:05 PM »
+ It has allowed me to acknowledge that vocals in video game music can be awesome.
+ I got to understand what Doujinshi is because of the series. I knew nothing about Comiket before.
+ That fanbases can be genuinely fun, friendly and even helpful when working on a fan project.

- It taught me that arcade mechanics in non-arcade games are outdated and can severely affect the overall quality of a game.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by Rumia.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 03:18:03 PM »
Large fandom communities breed elitism and sense of entitlement.

Shadowlupus

• Crimson Blade Hidden Amidst the Darkness
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 06:28:22 PM »
Large fandom communities breed elitism and sense of entitlement.

Second that with Japanese game breeding translation elitism and scorn, usually from Asia towards the West.

qMyon

• Chill - just chill
  • Keepin' it vanilla smooth
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 06:38:50 AM »
Tea is essential to peace negotiations.

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 03:45:48 AM »
Even though I had never played any official games ((it sucks for me  :()), Touhou has taught me quite a few things from its themes, characters, and morals.

First is that the weak and the strong (like youkai and humans) must always be balanced and not break too many rules so that neither side gains too much power (like for example, the rich and greedy global elites vs. the common people)

And second of all, Sakuya has taught me that nobody is perfect, and how I shouldn't give up on things that I love. (I'm referring to Sakuya's "Perfect Maid" status, and how she still manages to open a window in outer space and replaces a teacup with another broken teacup. However, these mistakes don't make her give up for her job, as she does her best at what she does and loves, which is working for Remilia.)

I have learned many more life lessons from Touhou, but I don't want to share them right now. Also, sorry for the weird wording, as I'm trying to explain my thoughts as best I can.

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 07:40:54 AM »
Woah, all of you have nice thoughts. I'm willing to read some more.
Even though I had never played any official games ((it sucks for me  :()), Touhou has taught me quite a few things from its themes, characters, and morals.

I have learned many more life lessons from Touhou, but I don't want to share them right now.

Do please share them. :)

Kurzov

• All good things must come to an end sometime.
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 03:40:27 PM »
There's always an "EXTRA" level to everything.
"Better think awhile
Or I may never think again
If this were the last day of your life, my friend
Tell me, what do you think you would do then?"
~ Genesis (Undertow, 1978)

MadokaMagica

• 魔法少女まどかマギカ
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2017, 02:54:19 PM »
First of all, it taught me this series isn't an anime, but a series of shmups with derpy faces everywhere -_-. 

The thing that really drove me into the series was the myriad of fan content (TBH I'm not a fan of brutally difficult shmups).  I especially love the RPGs (Genius of Sappheiros, Labyrinth of Touhou, Touhou Mother), and the RTS games (Age of Ethanols, Touhou Empires).  I've learned that Touhou is really the ideal community for content creators, where people are free to make and spread fan content without getting shut down by the copyright holder.  It makes the series what a series should be: not the narcissistic ramblings of a censoring, copyright-abusing author that conforms to one rigid vision but a world of games, manga, art, music, etc. created by all sorts of different people with all sorts of different perspectives, that are all allowed to exist (yeah, I'm very very anti-intellectual property).

It taught me alot about Japanese mythology and religion, like Kaguya/Tale of the Bamboo Cutter, the Yamas, Buddhism (with Bishamonten or their various heavens), Taoism, Shinto, a bit on Japanese history, and just how much are they obsessed with English (or, well, Engrish): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOKfaD7cSdE.  Hell, the series inspired me to start teaching myself Japanese (it's a pretty fun language, not as obnoxious as Spanish that's for sure :D) I think that if you want to get into Japanese culture in general Touhou is a great place to start.

Finally, it taught me that memes aren't bad not obnoxious: in fact they can add a lot of flavor and personality to otherwise bland characters or characters traditionally depicted one way in mythology.  Who doesn't love Princess Kaguya when she spends all day locked in Eientei playing videogames, bullying Reisen, and then yelling HELP ME EIRIN!! when Reisen gives her a paper cut.

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2017, 12:43:03 AM »
Touhou has taught me that the Xbox 360 contoller's dpad is quite possibly the worst dpad that has ever existed, that display latency matters when precision movement is involved, and that no matter how hard a game looks to you at first it is still possible to clear/win/etc. if you spend enough time playing it.
This sums it up pretty nicely.
Extra stages cleared : EoSD, PCB, PCB Phantasm, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC

Nim

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2017, 07:45:43 PM »
Touhou, in all honesty, taught me to think deeply about life, despite the game not being so dark.

Goomba98

• Touhou ga daisuki!
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2017, 08:20:43 PM »
It taught me alot about Japanese mythology and religion, like Kaguya/Tale of the Bamboo Cutter, the Yamas, Buddhism (with Bishamonten or their various heavens), Taoism, Shinto, a bit on Japanese history, and just how much are they obsessed with English (or, well, Engrish): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOKfaD7cSdE.  Hell, the series inspired me to start teaching myself Japanese (it's a pretty fun language, not as obnoxious as Spanish that's for sure :D) I think that if you want to get into Japanese culture in general Touhou is a great place to start.
This is pretty much what it's done to me as well.

MANoBadAssGar Jr.

• look at dat pose, look at dat face
  • GARDORABLE!
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2017, 11:39:45 PM »
I learn to appreciate the funguses.

GenericArrangements

• The Monthly Ghost of the Art Atelier
  • i do the music thing (!?)
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2017, 08:46:16 AM »
Touhou has made me realise that things I thought were good quality actually aren't as good as what they could be and now my standards for content have been raised as a result.

Also the games have taught me that I should be doing something else with my life besides trying to beat Extra Stages.
Please read my posts as if I'm not taking them too seriously.

i did a lunatic 1cc of MoF once and i'm happy enough with just that