Author Topic: Touhou Genso Wanderer Gameplay Thread  (Read 18810 times)

MetalStudios

• The Paladin of Phantasm
  • One day I'll get better
Re: Touhou Genso Wanderer Gameplay Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2017, 05:30:54 PM »
Still trying to get to the end of Jinryu Tenketsu, I got to about floor 42 and the Tenshi's just wouldn't stop spamming. I'm assuming the third run is the last time right? They're not gonna make me climb down there AGAIN..... I really hope they don't........
I kinda wish you could sell stuff at the in dungeon shops, would be pretty helpful but I guess that's all part of the challenge too
"Do you believe in gravity? That there's a reason why we meet?"

Neovereign

• Greatest Fairy
  • Everything will be daijoubu... hopefully
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2017, 05:39:08 PM »
Are the dungeon shops in there special? They won't let you sell?

MetalStudios

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2017, 05:40:22 PM »
It might be a glitch or something but when I drop an item on the ground nothing happens like it does in other dungeons.

Shadowlupus

• Crimson Blade Hidden Amidst the Darkness
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2017, 04:52:50 AM »
I don't have the game to confirm but from watching from livestream, you are supposed to talk to Mamizou once you place items on the floor to sell them.

Neovereign

• Greatest Fairy
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2017, 05:26:40 AM »
From what he's said about it working in other dungeons, I think he already knows how to sell them.
If you can't sell them, just throw them in their faces. But that's terrible idea...

Finished the main dungeon. Maybe my gear was too strong or I was over leveled, but it wasn't that difficult. Just a bit tedious. Futo wasn't doing much for nearly the whole match. Was doing great damage and almost finished the boss off, but then Futo decided it was her time to shine, and stole my kill with her spell card that did embarrassingly low damage comparatively... Still behind compared to you guys, though fun moments/times are still had.

I poked in on Double Focus after that, and got things finished there tonight as well. Found out good strats against the final boss and the other bosses after going to their battles again to no-hit/perfect them. Still a lot of things to do aside from map and items, but dang, I'm really not gonna wanna do time attack...

nyttyn

• Drill baby drill!
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2017, 04:35:27 PM »
That's only the first main dungeon anyway. You got a waaayyys to go!~

MetalStudios

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2017, 08:13:24 PM »
So I FINALLY beat Jinryu Tenketsu after dying on the last floor and just save scumming, but uh, not sure what I'm supposed to do now....... I'm assuming I've got to do something with the items I got from Nazrin but I'm honestly at a loss (please don't tell me I have to go all the way BACK down there)
I kinda wish the other dungeons had the same aesthetic variety that the buyking dungeon had, kept things a little more interesting.

EDIT: the shops are letting me sell stuff now, I think the time I tried to in Jinryu the shopkeeps were freaking out because Tenshi was hitting everyone with her quake attack
Also Nitori can steal the floor exit with he extending arm, causes the game to crash but I still find it humorous.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 08:16:38 PM by MetalStudios »

Neovereign

• Greatest Fairy
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2017, 09:56:17 PM »
Man... picking up an item just so shopkeeps can keep you safe in the room is great. Can just pick them off with danmaku from the corners too. I'll try to get back to the game when I've got DF's snap archive done or nearly done... Some of the silhouettes look pretty annoying to find...  Nevermind.

nyttyn

• Drill baby drill!
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2017, 02:47:36 AM »
Wow, I'm honestly shocked they implimented a combo I just found that utterly trivilazed Crimson Raven for me and probably utterly destroys just about any boss. Put into spoilers because, uh. It's kind of absolutely nuts.
Spoiler:
Equip any comb of items which allow you to ignore Sake's Accuracy Down (such as Unicon Horn + Oni Cup). Drink Sake. Proceed to do somewhere in the range of 4x+ damage (for reference, i was hitting for somewhere along 120-190 per hit without it, and 750+ with it.). Throw in a swift drug, and you have basically an 8x damage multiplier. On top of that, the combo has Range 3, which means you get two extra turns worth of swing (even if you don't need it, since I finished the raven off in something like four turns)

As for the solution to Mystery House 1: Here's a hint first. Remember, the shopkeepers are after a thief, so having anything on your person that might paint you as such might not be the best idea... Solution:
Spoiler:
In short, you have two objectives here. First of all, you need to kill the shadowy figures (Kappa, Cirno, Marisa) on floors 2, 3, and 4 to obtain the Witch Broom (Kappa), Marisa Hat (Cirno), Golden Orb (Marisa), and Note (Marisa) (I'm not sure if it's a requirement to not have them equipped at the end, but I de-equipped the weapon and shield to be safe). However, your second objective is to pick up absolutely nothing else. This includes money - which you can't put back down after picking up! So to circumvent this, you'll have to hold down the O button before stepping on a money title to keep from picking it up.

Yeah I think Bunnyland is probably my least favorite part of the game so far. I love the idea behind gimmick dungeons and individually they range from meh to funny, but it's so annoying that you not only have to go through all of them, but clear them before you get to move on. Such a pia :(
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 01:55:26 PM by nyttyn »

Neovereign

• Greatest Fairy
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2017, 09:38:32 PM »
Ah... I think I might've found out what Judge's effect does... Happened when I attempted to get a few trophies just now...

Spoiler:
Shiki Eiki is absolutely brutal and unforgiving. I'm sorry for stealing ;_; *Fainted from Judge's effect*

DA

• Some dude on the internet
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2017, 01:37:54 AM »
Wow, I'm honestly shocked they implimented a combo I just found that utterly trivilazed Crimson Raven for me and probably utterly destroys just about any boss. Put into spoilers because, uh. It's kind of absolutely nuts.
Spoiler:
Equip any comb of items which allow you to ignore Sake's Accuracy Down (such as Unicon Horn + Oni Cup). Drink Sake. Proceed to do somewhere in the range of 4x+ damage (for reference, i was hitting for somewhere along 120-190 per hit without it, and 750+ with it.). Throw in a swift drug, and you have basically an 8x damage multiplier. On top of that, the combo has Range 3, which means you get two extra turns worth of swing (even if you don't need it, since I finished the raven off in something like four turns)

As for the solution to Mystery House 1: Here's a hint first. Remember, the shopkeepers are after a thief, so having anything on your person that might paint you as such might not be the best idea... Solution:
Spoiler:
In short, you have two objectives here. First of all, you need to kill the shadowy figures (Kappa, Cirno, Marisa) on floors 2, 3, and 4 to obtain the Witch Broom (Kappa), Marisa Hat (Cirno), Golden Orb (Marisa), and Note (Marisa) (I'm not sure if it's a requirement to not have them equipped at the end, but I de-equipped the weapon and shield to be safe). However, your second objective is to pick up absolutely nothing else. This includes money - which you can't put back down after picking up! So to circumvent this, you'll have to hold down the O button before stepping on a money title to keep from picking it up.

Yeah I think Bunnyland is probably my least favorite part of the game so far. I love the idea behind gimmick dungeons and individually they range from meh to funny, but it's so annoying that you not only have to go through all of them, but clear them before you get to move on. Such a pia :(

also another thing about mystery house 1:
Spoiler:
if you picked up some money by accident you can always let Marisa steal your money or if you have way to much, you can gamble with whatever the gambling spellcard is called and lose a lot of money that way too

nyttyn

• Drill baby drill!
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2017, 02:30:53 AM »
If anyone wants to unlock Okuu - you have to go down to the Kouindou branch at the Old Capital at some point in chapter 3 (I'm not sure if you have to finish the inital bunnyland attractions first or if you dont have to) to trigger Okuu's quest, which is a pretty simple affair of 16 floors, no boss, can bring items. However keep in mind that the enemies start out at the -sama level, so you'll want to go into it through the Awaritium branch into the Old Capital to get to a level where you'll be able to handle the enemies.

Spoiler:
Okay technically there's a boss but it's pretty underwhelming and easy to beat.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 03:01:53 AM by nyttyn »

Neovereign

• Greatest Fairy
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2017, 02:48:33 AM »
I've found out how to enter Lunar war III and I'm just gonna stay away from that until I'm ready to go through down to the old capital path...
Currently just popping in and out of Jinryu Tenketsu without going to floor 10. Still just wanting to get gear I haven't before.

nyttyn

• Drill baby drill!
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2017, 03:06:14 PM »
DLC's up.

14.99 for Futo's 7 trials, and 6.99 for bullet reporter.

...14.99????????????????????? What on earth is wrong with NISA????

On a less...confused about bad pricing note, Rei'sen seems to be head and shoulders away the best partner. The issue with partners is that, inherently, due to the RNG and short lived nature of their effects you get little lasting or consistent value out of them - and then Rei'sen shows up with her Summon Moon Rabbit skill, which completely negates this issue. They're bulky, do good damage, she summons multiple of them per floor (I've gotten up to 9), and best of all in spite of it not showing up in the combat log anything they kill gives you (full?) EXP. They're meat shields, they tend to scatter due to AI which allows you to get EXP from halfway across the map - it just blows everything else out of the water. She does have a downside that's basically all she brings to the table, and that her "bomb" is the worse kind (frontal laser that requires a few turns to charge, unlike Futo or Satori who just nuke the whole room), but Summon Moon Rabbit alone makes her by far the best partner so that's okay.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 03:39:49 PM by nyttyn »

Shadowlupus

« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2017, 04:17:30 PM »
...14.99????????????????????? What on earth is wrong with NISA????

Yes, I agree with this 100%. WTF!?

Before the DLCs came up, I initially thought the prices would be reasonable like $1.99 - $2.99 for Bullet Reporter or $4.99 for Futo's trial but no, they had to do with altogether for $22, which could have been the price of Reloaded version by itself!

The future of this game's review is getting darker and darker...and I do not appreciate that fact at all, considering the game has got relatively good feedback during its first release.

P.S. Ah, I wonder how much Momiji will cost once it is no longer free. Oh, and Reloaded too once it is localised.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 04:27:04 PM by Kageshirou »

nyttyn

• Drill baby drill!
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2017, 12:48:04 AM »
I decided to take the bullet and, while I think 10 would've been the better price point, 15 makes sense and honestly isn't egregious. Futo's DLC is actually more like a expansion pack/mini sequel. It has a #(7, I think) of dungeons which share Jinryu Tenketsu's mechanic of getting harder each time you do them, with better rewards each time. Also it has its own little area, which is pretty cute. Bullet Reporter on the other hand is only one twp (albiet pretty and with fantastic music) dungeons that gives you the Aya PC, Aya Partner, and Momiji Partner. It's not terribly overpriced, but it's definitely higher than I'd put it.

As for how the playable characters rank in:
Reimu is probably the best over-all option, and is the yard-stick the others are measured to.
Momiji replaces her 5-cost with Blocking, which severely reduces all damage taken for 1 turn and responds to the first attack taken with a counter. Her 3-cost is also a V shape instead of 3 attacks. She's honestly the worst of the lot, but still has the 1 and 10 costs so not bad. Her 5-cost is also probably the best answer to Big multi-hitters in the game for melee range, so it gives you a safety net if you run into one in a corridor.
Aya's 3-cost is a auto-target that does a considerably high amount of single target damage. Her 10 cost is basically Reimu's but with the added effect of knockback. The defensive option, pretty solid.
Futo's 5-cost works as a chain reaction that splashes onto all touching foes. Her 10-cost is a hail mary to RNG that auto-targets everything in sight and does a varying amount of damage that can range from "whatever" to "holy shit." The best single target damage.

Over-all it doesn't make too much of a difference and you're fine taking anyone. As a fair warning, they all have their own version of Fantasy Seal and All Sides Lethal Dragon so you're gonna have to do some inventory management if you want to do Bring Items dungeons - but at the same time their effects are completely identical to Fantasy Seal / All Sides, so there's no pros or cons there.

Edit: bullet reporter actually has a second dungeon, and it's brutal as heck.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 03:11:15 PM by nyttyn »

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2017, 03:50:34 AM »
This is Fushigi no gensokyou right (sure looks like it but maybe it's 2 or something and it uses the same assets? I dunno)? I've been waiting for it for freakin' ever. I didn't get it though because it's 60 bucks! I mean 60 bucks is not high for a ps4 game but but.. ffs it's over 5 years old and it was like 12 bucks new imported from overseas.. paying 60 for something 5 years later just doesn't seem right to me.

I asked this on gamefaqs and was told that it includes 4 expansions. Now I remember when fushigi was new, the first expansion Ir ecall was a Cirno one (or was it a sanae one?), then it was the other of those 2.. then I think it was a momiji one? But I thought the expansions from the doujin game were stand-alone that included the original game as well.

Sorry for the complicated question but can someone please explain to me what exactly this game includes, in terms of what you'd have to purchase doujin-wise 5 years ago?

I normally support doujin localization but this year and last year is freakin amazing for games, and I still need civ 6, dark souls 3, Nioh, etrian odyssey untold 2, xanadu next, etc, etc.. I can't take it anymore I have to be even cheaper than usual!

Neovereign

• Greatest Fairy
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2017, 07:26:40 AM »
Have a sake seal and a crit/satisfying seal to my Yamaxanadu set and it's definitely satisfying for either situation to happen. Yama set now has, through many seals, extra damage to pretty much every type, food and money drops, range +1, and the effect of giving you a heart attack whenever you're in a shop with a high level Kyouko enemy.

Speaking of enemies, I'm still unsure on my favorites and least favorite ones. Yuugi's pretty ridiculous for the expressions and just doing whatever she wants. I've gotten to finally see the grand magician, but ran away out of fear of it's attack. Didn't get to see it again yet.

Not sure on if partner's shooting attacks count as danmaku that could be boosted with equipment or not. I hope it does.

At Bunnyland now and geez I'm so tired of that Talisman thing. I'm gonna try and see if I can use Momiji for it later and hope her danmaku moves are enough carry...

Despite destroying my donation box earlier, I'm still fine with how things are money-wise. It didn't take too long to gather and spend what I did though, and it was worth it.

DA

• Some dude on the internet
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2017, 07:33:51 AM »
I've gotten to finally see the grand magician, but ran away out of fear of it's attack. Didn't get to see it again yet.

Grand Magician takes awhile to do its attack and generally you can kill it if you are close enough to begin with otherwise you should definitely just run away from it from fear of getting nuked. Well assuming you have a weapon... I don't know if you saw it in the talisman dungeon.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 07:35:51 AM by PrinnyAce »

Neovereign

• Greatest Fairy
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2017, 12:21:04 PM »
It was a different one, but I still had weapons too weak, and after a couple of hits, just backed off into the nearest hallway instead.

nyttyn

• Drill baby drill!
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2017, 03:02:49 PM »
This is Fushigi no gensokyou right (sure looks like it but maybe it's 2 or something and it uses the same assets? I dunno)? I've been waiting for it for freakin' ever. I didn't get it though because it's 60 bucks! I mean 60 bucks is not high for a ps4 game but but.. ffs it's over 5 years old and it was like 12 bucks new imported from overseas.. paying 60 for something 5 years later just doesn't seem right to me.

I asked this on gamefaqs and was told that it includes 4 expansions. Now I remember when fushigi was new, the first expansion Ir ecall was a Cirno one (or was it a sanae one?), then it was the other of those 2.. then I think it was a momiji one? But I thought the expansions from the doujin game were stand-alone that included the original game as well.

Sorry for the complicated question but can someone please explain to me what exactly this game includes, in terms of what you'd have to purchase doujin-wise 5 years ago?

I normally support doujin localization but this year and last year is freakin amazing for games, and I still need civ 6, dark souls 3, Nioh, etrian odyssey untold 2, xanadu next, etc, etc.. I can't take it anymore I have to be even cheaper than usual!

You get the Rinnsouke dungen, the Satori dungeon, the Utsuho dungeon, Kasen's trials, Bunnyland, Mysterious Dimension, Old Well, Junk Garden (in other words, the base game and the plus disc content).  Futo's expansion is 7(?) dungeons and is a separate 14.99 purchase, and they haven't announced plans to localize the Sanae(Miracle Party) expansion. There's no Cirno xpac afaik.

The 50$ price point is definitely not ideal, but presumably this was the only way they could break even. It sucks, but I doubt their sales forecast for the title even hit a 5 digit number. Here's hoping it sold better than expected and they feel more comfortable bringing over future titles at a lower price point.

Neovereign

• Greatest Fairy
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2017, 09:10:34 PM »
Beat it after almost losing so closely to a spellcard-agro'd pair of Yuuka's. Thanks teammate. Though to be fair, teammate's antics elsewhere make it worth having them around...
I hope I never have to revisit that mission ever again. Drinks would've even been more fun than Talismans at least...

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2017, 01:55:28 AM »
You get the Rinnsouke dungen, the Satori dungeon, the Utsuho dungeon, Kasen's trials, Bunnyland, Mysterious Dimension, Old Well, Junk Garden (in other words, the base game and the plus disc content).  Futo's expansion is 7(?) dungeons and is a separate 14.99 purchase, and they haven't announced plans to localize the Sanae(Miracle Party) expansion. There's no Cirno xpac afaik.

The 50$ price point is definitely not ideal, but presumably this was the only way they could break even. It sucks, but I doubt their sales forecast for the title even hit a 5 digit number. Here's hoping it sold better than expected and they feel more comfortable bringing over future titles at a lower price point.

All right, thanks... I think I'll snag it on the first sale at 25% or higher.

Neovereign

• Greatest Fairy
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2017, 03:11:17 AM »
At the third boss and unfortunately, had to return because my items were gone. Freaking Big Yukari gapped away an important preserver, right before I fell into a subspace gap. I didn't even have my sake or ways to make it in time...
I am livid. Going back in there stacked and bringing the typical "Too good to ever use" stuff.
Spoiler:
The worst thing about this is that I picked up and started upgrading Miko's sword, and Kokoro had it last mission, so I can't get it back until I destroy her.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 03:13:39 AM by Miniking »

« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2017, 01:35:44 PM »
There are a lot of things that I like about this game. But after getting 1-shotted by the first boss after a 2.5 hour run I need some time away from it.

Neovereign

• Greatest Fairy
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2017, 06:07:55 AM »
Going to eventually try and get more talk scenes, then try a bunch of stuff in Nito-Fusion.
Actually, considering I just finished one of those trials and didn't realize that wasn't the last one, I think I'll hold off on it until that's done. Might also need to sell a lot of items I already have one of for more money...
Spoiler:
Reincarnation is gonna be a grind... Already wasted a Hieda Scroll on Wafer Blade, not knowing the process well... Really wanting to reincarnate the Seven Star Sword with something that has good green/combination abilities. Not sure what would be good to use though, and it's not max yet, so I have time. Might travel to the moon again for more items
before trying the Nito-Fusion things, despite how tempting it is to go for completing that.

Gesh86

• Buddha may forgive you...
  • but Byakuren won't!
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2017, 09:22:50 PM »
I finished the Buyking arc today and I think I actually have an opinion of the game now. I like it! It's almost a little too exciting at times :D. Your equipment being at risk all time can be nervewrecking. I was timid to challenge the boss again after fleeing just in time on my first attempt. Really happy to have at least made it to this early milestone, but I wonder how long it would take me to touch the game again would I lose my stuff at some point.

There are a lot of things that I like about this game. But after getting 1-shotted by the first boss after a 2.5 hour run I need some time away from it.

It's a good thing I read your post before and had the instinct that Battle Mode Buyking is probably someone you don't want to face in melee (it was him, right?)

Can I also say that I love the cutscenes, both the animated and vn-style ones? Curee's art always looks so sleek and shiny...only thing I don't get is their obsession with oversized ribbons  :3.

Shadowlupus

« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2017, 02:57:47 AM »
Your equipment being at risk all time can be nervewrecking.

I thought you lose only all money if you get defeated in a dungeon.

Speaking of which, why can't all review sites get the above info correctly is beyond me. The fact that they (might) deduct point for their own mistake for thinking that this is another "lose everything" roguelike is why I think game reviews are dumb.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 04:25:01 AM by Kageshirou »

Gesh86

• Buddha may forgive you...
  • but Byakuren won't!
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2017, 06:05:44 AM »
I thought you lose only all money if you get defeated in a dungeon.

That might be the case? The only time I died so far was in the 20 floor intermediate Kasen dungeon (where you can't jump back to the shrine) and I don't think it deposited anything I had on me?
When something happens to me out of the blue and I check if my only level 40 +30 pieces are still around, that's when I'll know for sure.  :D

Neovereign

• Greatest Fairy
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2017, 06:11:55 AM »
I think everything still in your inventory on defeat (aside from unpaid items and cash itself) stays with you.

With the details of certain things, I'm pretty sure losing things is still a terrifying and real possibility, sometimes out of your control. Losing money isn't that bad from dungeon defeat, but I've been terrified of accidentally throwing my main equipment at someone as a weapon and losing it that way, or god forbid an enemy making me lose valuables. Accidentally selling items and not being rich enough to buy back... Dropping your items (or having them be dropped) only for one to break on the ground unceremoniously, or sink into a swamp... Having one of your items on the ground destroyed by a landmine trap or other aoe.

I hopethere's just going to be an equipment that's Reimu's ribbon, but it's just thrice as large as your character...

Spoiler:
I like to think that I'm pretty far in the game, but from the trophies, it looks like someone already got a platinum finish on the game...