Author Topic: Touhou Genso Wanderer Gameplay Thread  (Read 18829 times)

Touhou Genso Wanderer Gameplay Thread
« on: March 19, 2017, 12:30:03 PM »
Touhou Genso Wanderer will be released this Tuesday (Friday in Europe), so I set up a thread for everyone to post any noteworthy achievements they've made there.

You may post your progress in dungeons (both story and side), show us you best equipment, and even share runs of your favorite (or least favorute) dungeons!

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
Re: Touhou Genso Wanderer Gameplay Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 02:21:46 PM »
...wait, there's a specific Europe release date? So this is like, an international game and not just japan, so it's in english from the get-go? What platform(s) is it on?
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 02:25:38 PM »
...wait, there's a specific Europe release date? So this is like, an international game and not just japan, so it's in english from the get-go? What platform(s) is it on?
It's actually an official translation of Fushigi no Gensokyo: The Tower of Desire (The original version, not Reloaded) which will be released on PS4 and Vita on March 21st in America and March 24th in Europe.

Gesh86

• Buddha may forgive you...
  • but Byakuren won't!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 03:06:28 PM »
I've got the game preordered and looking forward to it. Never actually played any of the Aquastyle Mystery Dungeons since none of them had English patches and they seemed way too complicated to play untranslated. I might like it, I might not? I am willing to take the risk nonetheless.
With early reviewers, it seems to sit a little better than Gensou Rondo and Touhou Koukishin did last time I checked (I enjoyed both no matter what anyone says  :3).

nyttyn

• Drill baby drill!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 02:59:07 AM »
Worth noting that, from what I've heard from a friend, this is a very paint-by-numbers Mystery Dungeon game. If you like those, you'll like this - but don't expect anything revolutionary or anything.

That being said I'm getting it day 1 on the vita. Caannn't wait~ I do hope Satori's accessed early on, gonna lug her around as my partner for as long as I can get away with it b/c im a huge dork.

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 09:18:44 PM »
I got a PsVita mainly for this. But now I got hooked on Disgaea 4. What a dillema :).

Released with it is Double Focus. Which seems a bit like Castlevania, except all enemies are fairies.

nyttyn

• Drill baby drill!
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 10:14:15 PM »
Worth keeping in mind that Double Focus is apparently only free with a physical copy of the PS4 version of Genso Wanderer. So if you get digital for PS4, or the Vita version (which is only digital), you'll have to get it separately. No cross buy either.

nyttyn

• Drill baby drill!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 05:49:26 PM »
Sorry for double post but the games are up now. There are also two free themes for the PS4 and Vita.

Game's 49.99 on the Vita, Double Focus is 19.99. Looks like they decided to apply the Atlus Tax =/

MetalStudios

• The Paladin of Phantasm
  • One day I'll get better
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 09:00:13 PM »
Just a friendly reminder that (at least for the PS4 version not sure on vita or not) you can download Momiji for free on the PSN store
Haven't tried her out yet but hey free stuff is cool I guess

As far as the games go i'm quite enjoying both of them, never been a fan of the Mystery Dungeon styled games but giving this one a shot I've really had fun with it, despite sucking and dying, a lot. As a Metroidvania fan I've been blazing through Double Focus as well, it's pretty fun and while it's difficult at points it's not as rage inducing as some other games in the genre can be, especially of the Touhou variety.
"Do you believe in gravity? That there's a reason why we meet?"

nyttyn

• Drill baby drill!
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 11:15:02 AM »
Goodness gracious, Byakuren puppets are actually evil. 100+ damage per round when you're only rocking 300ish HP that is not ok ;-;

Little bit of a tip for people struggling: Normally, you can only enhance every time you make your first pass by the Youkai Village by default. However, if you invest about 10k into Warp, you can simply warp to the Hakurei shrine, back to Youkai Village, and that will reset the enhancement allowances back to 1. Bit of a pain, but lets you get higher enhancement values earlier on.

Edit: More tips!

Danmaku is actually pretty potent. You'll mostly want to use Yin-Yang Shot and Youkai Buster, but with the power count being so high and plentiful you might as well consider them your real source of ranged attacks in this game - and mercifully, one that doesn't totally hog your inventory.

When you unlock Nito Fusion's Mix Function: Two Green Teas make a Refined Green Tea, which heals a lot of health. Don't neglect to craft!

Incompetence and Misfortune Talismans are your best friends. They're plentiful, easy to use (just push use!), and can help a lot with the more nasty foes.

You can use items directly out of Preserve Gaps, no need to pull them out (they'll even still show up in the main items menu!). Make sure to put your best food, spell cards, and talismans in Preserve gaps to protect them from traps/explosions and save inventory spaces!

If you're about to die, and are completely out of options, don't forget to use a Return-to-Hakurei spell card. Your level will still go back to 1, but that way you'll get to preserve your Money, which you can invest back in town.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 01:05:56 PM by nyttyn »

Neovereign

• Greatest Fairy
  • Everything will be daijoubu... hopefully
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 12:28:08 PM »
Warping was my first priority. Having to trek through floors I have a need to full clear, just to get back was not that fun...

nyttyn

• Drill baby drill!
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 03:58:32 PM »
Further investment into warping beyond the threshold to unlock the warp between the village and the shrine doesn't seem to unlock the ability to start on the later depths of the first dungeon - instead, it seems to unlock bonus dungeons.  The first one is the Junk Garden and hoo boy, it's a 150 floor can't bring gear monster. Maaybe go back to that one later....

Neovereign

• Greatest Fairy
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 04:35:28 PM »
I've mostly been using the donation shield, but now that I could get it's effect without it, I've started trying out Shiki Eiki's things. Wondering what the Judge effect will do. Also still confused on those Unzan tiles, but I'm probably overestimating what it actually does... Gonna consider going back into the dojo and doing the second training thing; maybe, maybe not.

Tashi

• Charming Devil!
  • For all of my life... A stranger I remain.
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 05:47:43 PM »
I haven't heard about this game until recently... I love pokemon mystery dungeon, and then I see this... Darn! This looks wonderful! If I only had any of the consoles and the game itself :derp:
ALL HAIL PROPOSALING-SAMA. SURPRISE FOR HIM.

nyttyn

• Drill baby drill!
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 11:47:53 PM »
Unfortunately the Tutorial doesn't explain a good number of things so it's been trial and error, but I can tell you that the Unzan titles exist as a sort of wall against projectiles - they don't seem to do anything else.

No idea about the Judge effect either, but I'll know when I can find something to resonate with it.

MetalStudios

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2017, 01:39:05 AM »
Keep investing and you'll eventually unlock warps to later points in the first dungeon.
Just beat the first dungeon and I really like how the game is designed, I initially thought that get reset back to level 1 would be annoyingly tedious but the games design actually compliments that pretty well.
And don't get me started on the Byakuren-san's in the Dream Mausoleum, probably my least favorite enemy thus far.

Also question, has anyone else gotten a weapon called Exorcism Rod 99? is there a way to remove the mercy skill on it? I'm assuming you have to level it up to make it super powerful but I'd like to know before I waste any time, and I'm having fun with my Nyan-Nyan Rod as is.

MetalStudios

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2017, 01:40:05 AM »
Unfortunately the Tutorial doesn't explain a good number of things so it's been trial and error, but I can tell you that the Unzan titles exist as a sort of wall against projectiles - they don't seem to do anything else.

Throw a weapon/armour at an Unzan to level it up, Ichirin hints at this if you talk to her when she shows up in the Yokai Village

Neovereign

• Greatest Fairy
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2017, 04:48:44 AM »
Got my exorcism rod 99 to +5 and it's still doing that mercy damage. Probably shouldn't have, but I'll be keeping it in my inventory in case there's some enemy that needs to be whittled down. Otherwise, it's back to continue gunning for understanding that Judge effect. Might try dying with a seal to revive me and see if it does anything when I get the time to...
Also, as for ranks, I've been hoarding lots of the rank down talismans, yet never have a good opportunity to use them. Hoping I come across an opposite version.
Also-Also, spent time playing Double Focus instead today. Immediately started on hardest difficulty, because it helps me know that dodging/blocking is crucial and don't screw up. Put a portal or two in a place I shouldn't have... Hardest is also helping me somewhat learn boss patterns well. First boss and second boss were both a cakewalk of a thousand bites thanks to it.

Will probably get back to Genso Wanderer tomorrow and actually go past the village instead of staying in between it and the shrine and hoping for that random chance encounter again. Got a good amount of Preserve Gaps now.
Wonder if anyone tried to steal from dungeon shops yet with certain techniques...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 12:17:31 PM by Miniking »

nyttyn

• Drill baby drill!
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2017, 12:05:06 PM »
Innates seem to only change when an item evolves, which only happens with item level. But if you want to evolve a weapon, the absolute best place for that early on is a bonus dungeon you can unlock by talking to Futo at the shrine after you take down the first dungeon. Jinryu Tenketsu, which gives Increased Character EXP, Increased Partner EXP, everything's ID'd, and you can bring items and partners so it's pretty well suited to getting things to a serviceable level before the next stage! Beware that ??? floor count...

You also cannot rechallenge Buyking by going back though Kourintower, you'll have to do that through Kasen's Dojo.

Spoiler:
Actually it's just 10 floors, and at the end of it you get what seems to be a random prize from a certain general. It's pretty easy though, and you run into only a upper limit of -Sans, so feel free to just slap that exorcism rod 99 on your partner to level it up!.

Also it doesn't seem like the Exorcism Rod 99 has a second evolution stage, which means it's probably intended to just be a joke weapon through and through.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 12:29:41 PM by nyttyn »

Neovereign

• Greatest Fairy
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2017, 02:00:16 PM »
Geez, I should really catch up for these experiences. Hopefully I get to play over spring break...
I've gotten used to not stepping on trap gaps with the intention of picking up a hopefully useful gap, actually knowing when it's a trap or not. Need to encounter more (re-triggerable) burn traps for cooking benefits too. Also had the terrible experience of having an explosion drug and getting surprised by Kogasa. Stood still for a moment processing just what happened and how much health I had left.

MetalStudios

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2017, 10:50:06 PM »
So Jinryu Tenketsu gets worse and worse every time since it gets longer, later floors start throwing -sama's at you and coupled with encounters with Youmu's...... Let's just say things go south pretty quick.
What's everyone been running anyway?
On Reimu I've been using The Seiga Nyan-Nyan Rod (upgrade to the all purpose chisel) and traffic safety

nyttyn

• Drill baby drill!
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2017, 04:28:10 AM »
Oh dear, it gets longer? ...Welp. Good to know.

As for me, I've been running Roukaken (upgraded to Soul Slicing Sword lv55+24 w/ Float&Puppet&ear&yokai&oni&ghost special, attack range up, chara exp fluc, release, and additional damage up.) and the eiki one (Lord Yama Danzaiger lev53+21, anti-theft, deteroation tolerance, paperweight, money offering, confused resistance, bad condition resistance, vitality up, slowed resistance). It's a pretty good setup imo, but due to how vicious certain attacks can be + how important various seals can be depending on the enemy, it might be worth it to have a more specalized loadout for later dungeons.

Neovereign

• Greatest Fairy
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2017, 06:24:24 AM »
I was having a pretty good run in the main story, much further than I have before, with learning of my gear evolving, and have Eiki's hat and Rod. Got into a situation where a few Phantom Halves escaped and put me up against a fully leveled Eiki. My run stopped thanks to having been reduced to just 3 power, being stunned and slowed by an annoying off screen Tojiko or something (that killed herself after a bit got killed by another Tojiko behind her), and two Hijiris going superhuman on me. Filled up a soul gap trying to get enough health to get back through the path and to the exit, but the gap put me to sleep forever after that. No Scapegoats were left either.
I've decided to let my partner keep the banana gear combo, since I think it'll still do the food dropping effects (fantastic when it works too). Got to get glimpses of possible evolutions for gear I had by nearly fusing them with my high level ones. Still not sure on what charm to keep though, so I'll stick with scapegoat ones, Longevity, or the Micro Hakkero.

I also got into a shop once, only to have items thrown at me and equipped or stored by Kyouko-san. Favorite part was accidentally throwing something at shopkeep (instead of setting it down) and getting killed... then reviving and trying to run, only to get killed again.

nyttyn

• Drill baby drill!
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2017, 09:19:29 AM »
Sounds like you've had quite the shenanagins, Miniking. Gotta watch out for the last item you put in a soul gap - I personally prefer tea for that reason. Though, no amount of HP recovery will save you if you get killed in one shot, like I did for the second dungeon boss in what was a pretty huge cheap shot...

In case anyone wants to know what attack I'm talking about:
Spoiler:
When feathers appear in Crimson Raven's fight, get away from them. They explode with a PBAoE radius of 1, and will deal enough damage to OHKO you pretty much no matter what.

Neovereign

• Greatest Fairy
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2017, 12:28:16 PM »
Yea, I realized early on that run that healing is useful for midbattle... But I ran out midbattle. I probably should've used an escape card.
I'd really like to put my partner to battle, but she either runs off right when I get into a pathway to go fight the enemy that just came in that room, gets stuck getting killed by an enemy while I can't help, or both. Follow doesn't fight enough when it's convenient...

nyttyn

• Drill baby drill!
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2017, 04:17:36 PM »
I just keep some roaring revivals on hand and expect that keeping my partner on attack or explore will get her killed eventually. Easy to just revive her when that happens.

Speaking of partners, you unlock Kasen via completing her Trial dungeons. Better hop to it! So far none of the three partners seem...all that much more useful than one another thanks to the fact them using their stuff in the first place is total RNG. I'm preferring Satori right now though because her utility is at least nice to have sometimes and gotta stick with the best girl.

I went ahead and gave Momiji a try on a different note. The differences are that she has Blocking instead of the piercing needles, which lowers the damage of the next received attack by a high amount and performs an immediate counter attack (only one counter-attack per use sadly), and she has a inferior youkai buster (only hits in a V pattern, thus two hits instead of three). She seems flat out inferior to Reimu due to Blocking being somewhat underwhelming and not worth giving up both piercing needle and having a crappier youkai buster, but she still has the basic 1 cost danmaku which you'll use 60%+ of the time so she's still pretty close. Also it probably goes without saying, but the game still treats you as Reimu for the purposes of cutscenes and other dialogue. However, she and Reimu have seperate spell cards, so don't bother bringing along say a Fantasy Seal as Momiji, or a Expelee's Canteen as Reimu.

The UI also changes when she's the main character and it looks pretty sweet.

On one final note, while you unlock the Junk Garden really early on, it's not worth doing until you unlock at least some weapons and armor in the Nito Fusion. Reason being that only materials drop in there - no other items at all, which means that you'll quickly run into a wall of what you can kill with just your bare fists alone.

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2017, 04:25:55 PM »
I haven't heard about this game until recently... I love pokemon mystery dungeon, and then I see this... Darn! This looks wonderful! If I only had any of the consoles and the game itself :derp:
There's a downloadable PC version on Melonbooks. For me it cost just under $40, including a $1 foreign transaction fee. Unfortunately it's only in Japanese and it doesn't look like a translation patch has been made yet, but if you use Google translator on your phone to take pictures of the text you can get a pretty good idea of what things are.

As for gameplay I'm just going to say that the 30-items limit can get pretty restricting about 20 floors in unless you manage your inventory well. Especially food. Save those as you'll need them when you least expect it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 04:33:48 PM by aUsernameIsFineToo »

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2017, 05:12:11 PM »
I just started playing this myself and honestly, it's rea;;y fun. Haven't beaten the first main dungeon yet, I'll get there in due time.

One thing I'd like to share is that investing a total of 30k yen into Warp will unlock a shortcut to the second checkpoint of the first dungeon (17F).

Also, one thing I personally found nifty is that in all the NISA published Touhou fangames (at least the PS4 versions as far as I know), setting the system language to Japanese will also change the ingame text to Japanese too. This makes them almost identical to the Japanese versions of them, with one oddity: in Double Focus the title graphic remains the same as the international version, despite the fact that every other instance of text is changed to Japanese.

Neovereign

• Greatest Fairy
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2017, 05:49:48 PM »
I've got a lovely collection of 15 or so preserve gaps, I think. 2 (5) limit gaps for weapons and armor that I come across. Unfortunately, still got those crappy (3) limit gaps. I think I'll leave any (3) limit gaps as extra while placing the good items in newer ones above that. Sorta wish it was pseudo-multiplayer so someone can play your partner, but there would still be a bunch of things you could abuse if it was like that...

On a quick note for Double Focus, I really hope it's possible to get pictures of people you missed... Then again, maybe the one I tried against doesn't have an entry in there.

Still no luck on finding out anything more about the Judge seal. The Unzans have been useful, but I really gotta start stacking up ways to get my power back or keep it from dropping.
Thoughts about the Hakurei Rod: Something at lv 99/100? Something from fusing it with a special recipe? Useful for certain enemies? Just a simple lowest possible damage weapon that I'm overthinking?

Update: I found an interesting charm in the normal difficulty Sage's Trials, and I quickly realized that this just made my gameplay into Birth by Sleep gameplay now.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 12:04:48 AM by Miniking »

DA

• Some dude on the internet
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2017, 01:27:32 AM »
Can someone please explain to me how you are suppose to do
Spoiler:
mystery house 1 at moon rabbit theme park because i don't understand how you are suppose to do the puzzle.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 08:01:41 AM by PrinnyAce »