Author Topic: LoCaA Contest #10 - Insider Obfuscation!  (Read 7428 times)

LoCaA Contest #10 - Insider Obfuscation!
« on: March 05, 2017, 04:33:58 AM »
It's that time once again boys and girls.

LOCAA Conest #10 - Insider Obfuscation!

This is a sequel to the previous and very successful Outsider Occupation. There's been a demand for something similar.

In this contest, you have to make a script based on a character from a non-danmaku game. If you're confused about what constitutes as a danmaku game feel free to ask me or one of the judges. As a general rule of thumb, you shouldn't have any bullet patterns to base your script off of.

Judges are currently Sparen of Iria, UltimaDragon88, and Vigor. We may need another one depending on how many people participate, so if you would like to judge please message me or one of the judges.

Sign up is not required, but is preferred, just so we have an idea of how many people will be participating.

Just to be clear, you ABSOLUTELY DO NOT have to be in locaa, or even motk to participate in this contest. This is an open contest for everyone to enjoy.

Deadline: April 2nd 23:59 EST
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 10:21:44 PM by TresserT »
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Re: LoCaA Contest #10 - Insider Obfuscation!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 07:05:10 AM »
What happened to the previous one?

Edit question 2:
This part of the description is bothering me: "In this contest, you have to make a script based on a character from a non-danmaku game"

If this contest has absolutely no connection to the Touhou Universe or Touhou characters, then in my opinion the contest doesn't belong here.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 07:11:45 AM by Helepolis »

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 08:16:38 AM »
1) I don't know, I wasn't really involved in that. Just like the range contests as a whole aren't really managed by a single person, these contests haven't been either. Each one's been managed by a different person. Honestly, I'm not too sure what the distinction between the two types of contests is anyway XP

2) If it's not allowed to be here then you can take it down from this website. This is the second contest of this type, and the first one was certainly touhou themed, but I can understand your logic. Personally I see this to be in the same vein as RaNGE 9. But if you don't want this here you're obviously free to remove it.
The theme is "people from the outside world have entered Gensokyo". It's meant to be a danmakufu/scripting contest, and I wanted to give all the scripters in this community a chance to participate, not just the ones in that smaller group. Though as I said, I can understand your reasoning as to why having it here isn't okay, if you decide to remove it.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 08:32:20 AM by TresserT »
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 05:59:53 PM »
About point 1: Well, I thought since several people here are involved with the whole Locaa thing, I thought someone would have an idea (wasn't naming anyone tbh). The previous contest had 0 replies and it left me in the dark about it. I don't even know whether it got held, finished, reviewed or any thing. I can assume things, but assumptions are the mother of(ry :V

About 2: It isn't necessary about allowed or not more like, the theme of the contest being non-danmaku. Perhaps I've misunderstood that on my part. I am not going to enforce or remove any thing (not before asking). Just hoping for Touhou to be part of it. Now that you've explained that it is similar to the 9th contest, then I see no issues.

Thanks for clarifying.

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 06:10:55 PM »
Oh, hahaha, I honestly don't know what happened to it. It kind of just fizzled away, I don't even know if the entries were judged or if the results were released. The people I've asked don't really seem to know either. I DO know that only 3 people wound up releasing scripts, so I would assume it just died.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 07:11:12 PM »
Ouch, :ohdear: only three scripts? That aint good.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 03:50:29 PM »
Contest Database

A few notes:

- This contest is in the same vein as LOCAA 7: Outsider Occupation
- There seems to be some confusion between RaNGE 9 and LOCAA 9. RaNGE 9 (what I assume Helepolis is referring to) is the Self-Insert contest, while LOCAA 9 is the failed Miracle Mallet Contest

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 04:09:58 PM »
There's no confusion. I was referring to RaNGE 9, the self insert contest. Both this and that are danmakufu contests heavily influenced and inspired by touhou despite featuring non-touhou characters as bosses, which is what I was implying.
It is pretty much a complete rip off the same idea as Locaa 7, but since that was never posted publicly I didn't refer to it. As I said, my only intention in posting this here was to allow everyone in the danmakufu community to participate.

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 02:29:33 AM »
Added a rule about multiple routes. The minimums and maximums apply to the total number of patterns you want to be judged across all routes. Meaning the total number of different patterns across all routes should not exceed 6 nons and 6 spells. I apologize if this inconveniences anyone.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 02:49:40 AM by TresserT »

Junky

• Just Another Scripter
  • *external screams*
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 09:31:41 PM »
1) I have a script I'm working on which contains someone's persona. It isn't from a bullet hell because it's an original character. Does that count?

2) I'm scared to enter danmaku contests because I'm scared of getting harshly judged. Any advice?

Anyone can be amazing at danmakufu. I believe in you! Push yourself to become the greatest!

(One day I'll become the greatest danmakufu scripter that there ever was.
...Got a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way to go.)

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 10:20:43 PM »
1) Yes, that's permitted. It's preferred that your boss have some kind of verifiable source material, though (so you can't just say "my character can do XYZ because I say they can now").

2) While it's called a contest, if you're not confident in yourself you don't have to think of it as competing. You're making a script, and these 3 people are going to tell you what they think is good, what's bad, and how you can improve in the future. Just think of it as a learning process instead of "judgement".

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 02:29:33 PM »
I don't really know where to ask this but I suppose this is the best place to ask:

Are there any issues with me doing a stream with all the public LoCaA submissions a day or so after april fools? Considering I am not part of the "official" judges or anything and I don't want to imply that either with my stream.  I can't really imagine anyone having a problem with it but at the same time I could understand if people are not waiting on attention from people who don't know danmakufu too well.

(also what does LoCaA stand for, I still don't know 🤔 )

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 03:45:43 PM »
I don't really know where to ask this but I suppose this is the best place to ask:

Are there any issues with me doing a stream with all the public LoCaA submissions a day or so after april fools? Considering I am not part of the "official" judges or anything and I don't want to imply that either with my stream.  I can't really imagine anyone having a problem with it but at the same time I could understand if people are not waiting on attention from people who don't know danmakufu too well.

(also what does LoCaA stand for, I still don't know 🤔 )

If you decide to stream, please do it AFTER the deadline. That makes it fairer for all participants.

LOCAA = the Land of Codes and Apertures.

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 08:43:47 PM »
Just a friendly reminder that contest entries are due this sunday at midnight.
Spoiler:
There were so many sign ups please don't let there be only one actual entry.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2017, 08:57:15 PM »
Spoiler:
There were so many sign ups please don't let there be only one actual entry.

Spoiler:
I see two on Bulletforge.

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2017, 02:36:56 AM »
I'll definitely be making a submission, I'm nearly done.

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2017, 04:11:41 AM »
The contest is now over. Any entries submitted after this point will not be judged.

Thank you for participating everyone~ Expect the results in a few weeks.

Trickysticks

• What am I? TRICKYSTEAKS I AM!
  • A stick of the tricky variety.
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2017, 08:41:12 PM »
Nine entries is a decent number. I'm looking forward to seeing the results. I did playthroughs of every script here so that those who don't want to or can't play them can view them.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 04:57:35 AM by Trickysticks »
Interested in playing some boss fights I made? Have Danmakufu? Then check out my Danmakufu creations!

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2017, 11:16:21 PM »
As a general update for those wondering, judging is currently ongoing. Vigor had some internet troubles, but now his internet is fine and it's a matter of time before he finishes.

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2017, 05:55:53 AM »
Thank you everyone for participating! Without further ado...

#1) Trickysticks and Exporygon - Leblanc the Deceiver - Leblanc (League of Legends)
#2) Conarnar - Insider Obfuscation Awakening - Robin (male) (Fire Emblem: Awakening)
#3) Meowstics - 201X invasion - Tenguman/Astroman (Megaman 8 )

#4) Mr. Gaberson - Skylight Overseer - Yoroza Karafuruna (Len'en Starry Sky Bridge)
#5) TTBD - The Grandest Requiem - Grand Dad (7 Grand Dad)
#6) Wish - The Death-Dealing Elevator Attendant - Elizabeth (Persona 3)
#7) Ashthmagician - Supersonic Speed Machine - Metal Sonic (Sonic the Hedgehog)
#8) Python - I HAVE CONTEST ENTRY - Fawful (Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story)
#9) Dark - Moonlight Butterfly - Moonlight Butterfly (Dark Souls)

HERE is the document with the individual scores and comments. Congratulations to the winners! Thanks again for participating, everyone!

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
  • printf("h*ck");
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2017, 02:09:39 AM »
Congrats to all the participants!  I'm personally glad I didn't get last place, I knew I could do better!
Looking forward to the next one!  :3
Return of Eastern Wonderland! Made by a PC-98 fan FOR fans!
1ccs: SoEW (N), LLS (N), MS (N), EoSD (N, H), PCB (N), IN (N, H), PoFV (N, 5 char), MoF (N), SA (N), UFO (N), TD (N), DDC (N), LoLK (N), HSiFS (E, N, L), WBaWC (N)
Extra: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, HSiFS, WBaWC
Scoring: HSiFS Easy (PB: 1.1b), Barrage Musical Hard (PB: 28.?b)

Trickysticks

• What am I? TRICKYSTEAKS I AM!
  • A stick of the tricky variety.
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2017, 02:34:57 AM »
Congrats to everyone invovled! I'm really happy that Porygon and I's work made first place. Good job, everyone, and I too am looking forward to the next contest.
Interested in playing some boss fights I made? Have Danmakufu? Then check out my Danmakufu creations!

TTBD

• The Terrible Bullet Dodger
  • ^ This is a meme. Praise it. ^
    • I have a Youtube account!
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2017, 07:51:49 PM »
Congrats to everyone! I'm glad I finally got higher than second to last place this time around :3
See you all in the next contest~
Looks like I don't need a signature either...