Author Topic: Official print works - where to start/recommendations?  (Read 4443 times)

Official print works - where to start/recommendations?
« on: March 02, 2017, 03:48:57 AM »
Good evening, and Howdy, mates!

I was wondering, does anyone have some good suggestions where to start with the official print works?

The stories and characters that I'm most familiarized with at the moment are the ones featured in EoSD, PCB, IaMP, if this helps with the recommendations.

Thanks in advance!

Drake

Re: Official print works - where to start/recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 04:36:18 AM »
If you're most familiar with the first couple of games then you're on the right track for just going through them chronologically.

Somebody made a chronological guide to following the official works (up to a point) that you can read below. In general, the Touhou works follow real time, and their release order is more or less the order in which they're intended to be read. However this chart does a great job of grouping together releases that don't depend on each other or introduce new elements needed to know.

The most important works to read from here would be getting to know IN and PoFV first, and then reading BAiJR followed by PMiSS. CoLA is also a recommended read but can be a bit dry if you aren't used to ZUN's writing. StB card comments are good flavour too.

Everything in that chart up to MoF is like its own package, the first "arc" of Touhou. In terms of significance, it would probably go Games > PMiSS > BAiJR = CoLA > Fairies > Music CDs.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 04:55:02 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 01:33:53 PM »
Do you happen to know who made that? That is tremendously helpful and I'd like to have it on-hand for the 2hu panel I'll be running at AB this year.
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

Drake

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 02:47:13 PM »
An anon on /jp/. Only a couple of people paid it much mind when they had first posted it but I've been putting it out here and there. I'd like to update it to current at some point but I'm always busy so we all know that's not going to happen.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 09:45:28 PM »
If you're most familiar with the first couple of games then you're on the right track for just going through them chronologically.

Somebody made a chronological guide to following the official works (up to a point) that you can read below. In general, the Touhou works follow real time, and their release order is more or less the order in which they're intended to be read. However this chart does a great job of grouping together releases that don't depend on each other or introduce new elements needed to know.

The most important works to read from here would be getting to know IN and PoFV first, and then reading BAiJR followed by PMiSS. CoLA is also a recommended read but can be a bit dry if you aren't used to ZUN's writing. StB card comments are good flavour too.

Everything in that chart up to MoF is like its own package, the first "arc" of Touhou. In terms of significance, it would probably go Games > PMiSS > BAiJR = CoLA > Fairies > Music CDs.

Thanks a lot, Drake!

WindyKitsune

• Lumin(ifer)ous Touhouism
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 03:16:59 PM »
Thank you for sharing, Drake!
It's always good to have guidance when you are trying to learn more about Touhou universe but don't know how to start while don't want to get spoilers about characters of games you haven't played at!

Rin Satsuki

• Personification of a mythical creature.
  • "I'm not going to be forgotten that easily"
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 12:04:38 AM »
Thanks a lot for that contribution. I was looking forward to start reading them!