Author Topic: An idea for a possible Touhou 12.3 rework with most random elements removed  (Read 3323 times)

As much as I love Touhou 12.3, there's no denying that it's way too reliant on random elements, even more so than Smash Bros. The following is an idea I had for long time: a rather large scale mechanic modification that would make fights free from the Random Number Gods. Despite that, the only changes to moves would only happen because the relied on the original mechanics. This might be subject to change based on feedback.
  • Weather has been removed entirely. Most of its effects have gone into Equipment (inspired by Smash 4).
  • The deck system has been replaced with a more traditional super meter. It still retains a max limit of five stocks, however, Spell Cards can now be performed with traditional fighting game commands which can be set by the player. Possible commands include 236236, 214214,2363214,2141236,41236 or 63214 followed by any of A, B or C. Up to six spells may be assigned at any given time.
  • Speaking of custom moves, the Skill Cards have been replaced with Smash 4's custom move system, meaning you get to replace your default special for each command your character has with two alternatives if you want. Since Suwako's Mishaguji Scourge is meant to be a passive effect, it will activate at the start of the match if chosen as her 22+B/C special.
  • Some system cards are turned into universal mechanics, while others became Equipment Effects.
     -Spiritual Strike: All four main buttons. Costs one stock and crushes one of your orbs.
     -Hakurouken(Renamed into Dash Cancel) D during an attack. Costs two stocks. Only usable twice per Combo
     -Left-Handed fan(Renamed into Guard Crush):A+B. Costs one stock
     -Yesterday's Money (Renamed into Advancing Guard) D while blocking.
     -Dragon Fish's Rainment(Renamed into Guard Reversal) 6A+B while blocking. Affected by Iku's Veils Like Time. Costs one stock.
    Due to the lack of weather, Tenshi's Sword of Neither Perception ot Non Perception now disables those mechanics on the affected player, in addition to negating Equipment passive effects.
  • Specials can now be powered up for the duration of the match by performing the Special's command with both possible buttons at the cost of two stocks. At base power, they behave as if they were level 2, but powering them up brings them to level 4. You also perform the B version of the special, much like when activating a skill card.
  • At last,we get to equipment. It's basically Smash 4's Equipment System, where there are three general types (Attack,Defense, Speed) each increasing one stat while reducing the one after it. Unlike ]Smash 4, it's more easy to share non-universal equipment among players, and universal equipment doesn't have the penalties to modifiers. Also, you can choose whether you want both your equipment and custom moves to be active, or just your custom moves. I almost forgot to mention that like Smash 4, each character has three equipment slots.

Equipment by type:http://pastebin.com/DChQwCU9
Equipment by effect:http://pastebin.com/2gp8Yxb0
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 01:15:34 PM by RoamerB »

Is no one really going to comment on this? Has everyone here moved on from 12.3 to ULiL? I honestly want to know what you think about my proposed changes...

Is no one really going to comment on this? Has everyone here moved on from 12.3 to ULiL? I honestly want to know what you think about my proposed changes...
Spouting ideas like this is easy. Actually getting shit done is the hard part.

There are hundreds of people out there who talk about dream projects like this one that would be nice to have but nobody wants to do the work and in the end nothing happens. Talking about projects which aren?t going to happen anyway isn?t very interesting. Unless you implement all these ideas yourself you?re not likely to grab anyone?s attention this way.

Gameplay mods for fighting games get very few players. It's better to just play another one of the hundreds of fighting games out right now than trying to make changes to a low tier airdasher that's pretty much only played because it has Touhou characters in it.

Honestly, I'd expect some actual criticisms on my ideas and whether the concept would be good or bad but I digress... I should've seen that coming too...

Those who say fighting game mods aren't played by many have never heard of Project M (a mod for Smash Bros. Brawl)...And in unreleated news, there's a mod for Soku that replaces some of the cast with different charaters named SOKU2.

But yeah, I guess in the end, unless I somehow start cracking into Soku's code myself, this will remain, as Creation said, a dream project...

Project M is an extreme outlier. Good gameplay and balancing mods for fighting games many times more popular than Soku barely have any players, and interest on them quickly dies off. If you think turning this into a reality will be fun then go ahead, I'm just warning you that it may not be worth the effort if you expect people to play it.

Drake

As a Smash player, even mentioning PM as a point of comparison is almost insulting to the immense time and effort the PMDT put into their work. Citing Smash as a series that is reliant on random gameplay elements is also just factually incorrect.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

As a Smash player, even mentioning PM as a point of comparison is almost insulting to the immense time and effort the PMDT put into their work. Citing Smash as a series that is reliant on random gameplay elements is also just factually incorrect.

Well, the point raised was how often mods based on fighters were being played...I wasn't trying to sound egotstical, but I'm sorry if it came as such. As for randomness in Smash, I was talking when playing normaly with items and unpredictable stages, but I guess you do have a point in that most random events here are perfectly avoidable.

I'm starting to regret posting my idea here...

Drake

Discussing the idea itself is fine, it just wasn't something that interested me. I also share the opinion that you should get into implementing your ideas (if at all possible) if you're passionate about it and you aren't too concerned with whether such a thing would get popular. I'm not trying to shut down your ideas or anything, you just kinda bolstered your post with poor comparisons and that bothered me.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -