Author Topic: What do you dislike the most about the Touhou games?  (Read 10782 times)

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
What do you dislike the most about the Touhou games?
« on: February 13, 2017, 10:39:07 PM »
See title.

I dislike the amount of RNG that I sometimes encounter while playing. Especially Clownpiece's first survival spell. You can't control the stars that fall during it, so I've run into them while trying to survive Pointdevice with no bombs.

inb4 git gud
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

Re: What do you dislike the most about the Touhou games?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 09:55:45 PM »
Technically not the fault of the games themselves (Or it might be, if they have input delay), but sometimes I SWEAR I DID in fact, press X before getting hit, and I still die. I am not even asking for a Deathbomb, I was fast enough for a regular bomb (As in, the bullet did not even hit me), but meh.

EoSD is a big offender of this. Then again I have heard its Deathbomb period is extremely small.

Also another, more legit complaint:

Having to re-do Stage 1 every single time you screw up your run at some point after Stage 3. Its annoying as hell, especially if you get impatient and die to some early stage that's normally easy to do, making you restart the whole thing again, in turn making you even more impatient, and it just a downhill spiral from there...

That's probably why I tend to play for about an hour an half when attempting runs (more than that and I tend to switch games. EXTRA stages are excepted from this rule and I can tolerate them way more, for some reason), so I don't end up going crazy seeing the stupid Stage 1 again.

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 12:11:43 AM »
inb4 git gud
No, you're absolutely right. That particular spell is a prime example of the common complaint that Clownpiece is, in some respects, easier on hard/lunatic than on normal - the higher difficulties remove the RNG component, greatly reducing the risk of getting walled by a random clump of bullets.
EoSD is a big offender of this. Then again I have heard its Deathbomb period is extremely small.
Most of the Windows games give you a deathbomb window of 8-10 frames per bomb. Hardly generous, and you shouldn't rely on it, but it's enough to save your life on occasion. EoSD, if memory serves (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), gives you 6 frames PER LIFE - any frames you use on one deathbomb will be deducted from the time limit on all future attempts until you die, at which point it resets back to 6. Trying to deathbomb in EoSD is an exercise in frustration.

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 01:12:59 AM »
No, you're absolutely right. That particular spell is a prime example of the common complaint that Clownpiece is, in some respects, easier on hard/lunatic than on normal - the higher difficulties remove the RNG component, greatly reducing the risk of getting walled by a random clump of bullets.Most of the Windows games give you a deathbomb window of 8-10 frames per bomb. Hardly generous, and you shouldn't rely on it, but it's enough to save your life on occasion. EoSD, if memory serves (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), gives you 6 frames PER LIFE - any frames you use on one deathbomb will be deducted from the time limit on all future attempts until you die, at which point it resets back to 6. Trying to deathbomb in EoSD is an exercise in frustration.

I know, I don't try to deathbomb intentionally, I try to make sure I don't die with bombs at all costs...

Heck, if anything, I have the opposite issue; I bombspam to anything that's even remotely threatening and I rarely die with bombs... but sometimes I spam them so much I cant quite get to clear, lmao. Its about as bad as dying with bombs in stock, I think.

But anyway, I was just saying EoSD in particular is actually good at making me die with bombs unused... probably because of what you just said. Or maybe its the more random nature of the game, compared to others. Harder to deathbomb to bad RNG and all that.

Maple

• Mukyuu!
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 10:41:09 PM »
The difficulty curve on the first 2 levels, i feel it too disjoined with the rest of the game, with enemies doing too many aimed shots, or very little amount in general (even on higher difficulties), and when they do use a higher amount, it's often in "bursts". I suspect that it's directly linked to the player's (lack of) power, i think i was spoiled by ido's fangames and the like where you get full power from the start and they gotta do something for the first 2 stages,

RB

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 01:22:54 AM »
UFO's power loss system, especially when going for LNB. Dying once (especially on Stage 5) can easily snowball your run towards its end even if you have many lives in stock.

Oh you died to Greatest Treasure? Have fun having less firepower for the spam section afterwards. You're most likely to die to that once again and be left with either 2 or 1 power. Which will be a lot of fun when you meet Shou. Having to do RTG at low power is just blegh, and if you die to it then the 2nd non will have many, many chances to curbstomp you over. Vajra is also no longer a joke at low power, I usually end it in about 4 seconds left at 1 power.

Edit: also these fairies in LoLK they can go fucking kill themselves
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 04:14:45 PM by RB »

Chill Observer

• Aimless fanatic
  • haHAA
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 02:14:53 AM »
Junko.

I haven't faced her on lunatic yet but facing her on hard was already hard enough trying to cap PDH.
Retired Touhou player. Not involved with anything Touhou anymore.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 01:37:51 PM »
Being confronted with undeniable proof that age is slowly taking my hand-eye coordination away from me.

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 04:28:34 PM »
To be honest, I simply hate that my problems are usually not what should be difficult. I'm having more problems with stage 5 bosses than with stage 6 bosses, leading to me still failing to beat MoF on Normal, I succeeded at beating both Mamizou and Nue, but I can't get past Keine in IN's Extra Stage... (The replays got lost, though. ;_;) I hate how it makes me feel.. silly, and sort of dumb, at the same time.

Uruwi

• Nightmare of Torrential Precipitation
  • 478 million goober
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 06:30:57 AM »
Having to bombspam and use most of your resources in the last two stages, which means that I have to get the first four stages as well as I possibly can.

I'm not good with Extras for the same reason.
foo = foldl $ flip ($)
Highest difficulty 1CCed for each game, by shot type in the original order. (-: never 1CCed on any difficulty, or never used; E: easy, N: normal, H: hard, L / U: lunatic / unreal.)
EoSD [NNNE] PCB [EE--N-] IN [NEEE + Ex Border] PoFV [Mystia N, Mystia E no charge] MoF [EN--H- + Ex Marisa B] SA [N-----] UFO [----EN] TD [NENE] DDC [EE-EHE + Ex Marisa B & Sakuya A] LoLK [PD --N- Legacy ---N] EE [N- + Ex Yabusame] EMS [N-- + Ex Yabusame] RMI [NHN + Ex YaoSuku]
Avelantis (demo) Easy YuukiB 426,077,200

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 06:54:35 AM »
undodgeable RNG walls. absolutely hate undodgeable stuff, feels sloppy and unfair in terms of game design.
speaking of sloppy game design; bosses whose attacks are either trivial or ridiculous based on how high up on the screen they are, which again, is RNG. good examples are yamame 1st non and doremy nons in general.

the fact that there's spell practice in some games but not in other games. it should've been in every maingame starting from IN.
UFO's power loss system
the power system in general (just give me full power in a dodging game thanks)

TD's resource system. seriously, if you're gonna require 18 life pieces for a life it'd be nice if you dropped more than 12 in the game. also it feels very non-interactive to only have to rely on what an enemy drops (which is similar to UFO but in UFO you could decide which UFOs to summon and picking the wrong ones means you have to think of something else on the fly which keeps things interesting and fun)

Mokou's rings of death non which has absolutely no purpose being there and being harder than literally everything else in the game

and lastly the slowdown at the end of Subterranean Sun, which makes it absolutely ridiculous to dodge and feels like it was horribly programmed. ZUN should've deleted bullets from the bottom up, not top-down.

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
  • Just chilling like a hermit.
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 02:32:18 AM »
SURPRISE RANDOM BULLET SPAWN DEATH! OR better yet SURPRISE BULLSHIT BULLET STREAM DEATH! My god it makes my blood boil when one of the two happen to me.
My danmakucopter goes pew pew pew!

Check out my newb PAD box it's a thing right?

Aldnox

• EoSD addict
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 05:40:37 PM »
Nothing really. I even like the RNG. No, Vampire Illusion is not undodgeable if you get bad RNG, that's what macrododging and quick reading is for. The things I dislike the most are probably SoEW and LoLK, but not THAT much.

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 07:44:36 PM »
That I have to play all the games (except the fighters) on easy in order to have a chance to win, but am able to perfect most of IN's extra and Deflation World. That I captured Eirin's last word 1st rry, can't do it again. And last but not least, that I used to be able to Teb Desires stages 1-2 and Kogasa in lunatic with no problem, but now suck at shooters.

MetalStudios

• The Paladin of Phantasm
  • One day I'll get better
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 02:49:04 AM »
I really hate it when bullets are the same colour as the stage backgrounds. Reimu/Marisa in IN is my primary example as when you get to the chase part the background turns red which makes it difficult for me to see the red bullets that are fired, but that might just be an issue I have.
That and the UFO system in UFO, can't tell you how many times I've died stupidly trying to grab one of those damn things.
"Do you believe in gravity? That there's a reason why we meet?"

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2017, 07:53:27 AM »
This one's easy.

Bullet hitboxes not matching up with the bullets. It's not as bad these days; but prime example: EoSD Bubbles.

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2017, 01:50:08 PM »
I really hate it when bullets are the same colour as the stage backgrounds.
My advice to you: never play Mystic Square.

MetalStudios

• The Paladin of Phantasm
  • One day I'll get better
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2017, 04:39:01 PM »

Horrifying
"Do you believe in gravity? That there's a reason why we meet?"

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2017, 11:18:56 PM »

For Touhou 16 ZUN should make an entire stage where bullets blend with the background like that and also make the stage boss have Seija's mirroring gimmick with Junko's bullet patterns.

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2017, 03:31:24 AM »
I hate when I am just playing and I get hit and I don't even notice the bullet that hit, that's why I try to stay focus at all times.

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2017, 02:46:18 AM »
That IaMP never got a proper expansion.

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2017, 11:16:29 PM »
Actually!
I just remembered something that really makes the games LITERALLY UNPLAYABLE to me!!!...

The characters you have for naming a replay are too few. I would like 15 or so. I mean why not?! This isnt an actual Arcade game. I dont understand why are we so limited with like 8 characters for replay names....

Lollipop

• stay woke
  • literally and figuratively dying
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2017, 11:27:12 PM »
when you beat subsun but the gravity sends you crashing into a bullet and you gameover
Touhou 1CCS:
Hard: LLS, EoSD(NB), PCB(NB), IN, MoF, TD, DDC(NB), LoLK
Lunatic: EoSD, PCB, DDC, LoLK
Extra: LLS, EoSD, PCB(Extra&Phantasm), IN, MoF, SA, DDC, LoLK
Current Focus: 1cc SA Hard, or an Extra

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2017, 11:31:12 PM »
small bullets when they blend in the background or hide behind bigger bullets. i died to often to them because i didn't know there was one near me.

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2017, 10:55:07 PM »
The fact that they have status of "official game" for god knows what reason. And as a result there is almost no way to get enough of competitors for other doujin shmups (touhou  related or not) even when they are mechanically superior.
stop shitposting and go play some shmup

Drake

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2017, 02:22:15 AM »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2017, 02:27:23 AM »
The fact that they have status of "official game" for god knows what reason. And as a result there is almost no way to get enough of competitors for other doujin shmups (touhou  related or not) even when they are mechanically superior.

What do you mean by the status of "official game"?

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2017, 08:25:11 AM »
What do you mean
made for profite
stop shitposting and go play some shmup

Chill Observer

• Aimless fanatic
  • haHAA
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2017, 08:48:43 AM »
Except Touhou is not in any way "made for profits".

I understand what you mean though. I've been told too many times "when are you playing the official games again". I play whatever I find enjoyable, official or not.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 08:54:04 AM by Satori Komeijist »
Retired Touhou player. Not involved with anything Touhou anymore.

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2017, 09:11:58 AM »
What do I dislike the most in Touhou?

Dying lol