Author Topic: Favorite Touhou music artists that retired or disband?  (Read 5730 times)

Favorite Touhou music artists that retired or disband?
« on: January 09, 2017, 07:27:09 AM »
Does anybody have any favorite Touhou music artists or groups that you like but retired or disbanded?

For me it was Liz Triangle. I only RECENTLY discovered this but I read that Liz triangle disbanded in July 2016 due to Lily-An's time constraints and health.  I followed the circle for a VERY long time and if I had to make a list of my most favorite touhou music artists or circles. Liz triangle would be 1# on my list. Provided kaztora who seems to make all the music arrangements is now going to focus Shinra-bansho, which is what the group is called before they were known as Liz Triangle.
While I'm really glad that Kaztora will continue to make music that sounds like Liz Triangle. But on the other hand. I'm REALLY gonna miss Lily-an's vocals and artwork. She was my most favorite vocalist.

I'm glad Silver Forest is still making music and  I still listen to them and while it's probaly old news I miss Sayuri's vocals.

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
Re: Favorite Touhou music artists that retired or disband?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 04:19:40 PM »
Liz Triangle will retire next summer. They've just released a new album.

I'm hoping for a new Sally album, but it doesn't seem likely. NSY and Wani seem to be doing their own thing now.

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 02:47:47 AM »
JXL subtitles. Not really a doujin but they do make great subs and animations. Shutting down due to copyright, though, such a shame.

CenturyEgg

• Gentle older sister types are the best!
    • My world cosplay account
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 03:38:58 AM »
One of the more recent ones which I tracked was Machikado Mapoze. Bit of a shame that they stopped making stuff.

Drake

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 06:29:45 AM »
Machikado-Mapoze rebranded with a few of their members as Ringing Volcano. It's Nakazako and Chabatake, plus a new member Cy who does instrument maintenance. They released a fantastic album at C90.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 06:52:47 AM »
mokku stopped drawing anything for almost 2 years now. I miss his Yuuka.

CenturyEgg

• Gentle older sister types are the best!
    • My world cosplay account
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 08:44:59 AM »
Machikado-Mapoze rebranded with a few of their members as Ringing Volcano. It's Nakazako and Chabatake, plus a new member Cy who does instrument maintenance. They released a fantastic album at C90.

Ohhh Thanks for the info, will check them out

DeityDiz93

• Arahitogami of Contribution
  • Geez, Touhou and real life are set to hard mode...
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 07:23:47 AM »
I admit, out of the 8 or so years I've been a Touhou fan, I have not really got that deeply invested in circle music from a multitude of artists, which I admit is a shame because there are some stellar tunes out there, and probably some coming from those that have disbanded or just pulled their works off the table. One day I ought to sit down and take a serious look at the albums out there to hear, but at least I know a few mentioned like Liz Triangle.

One doujin music circle known as FORCE FIELD had two major albums:
  • 東方真奏曲 壱 ~ Theme of Reimu | Released at Winter C78
  • 東方真奏曲 弐 ~ Theme of Marisa   | Released at Summer C78

The genre is chiptune, but make no mistake, what came from these two albums is absolutely beyond stellar and beyond the limits of true chiptunes. The music aimed to do a few awesome things like combine different instrumentations heard in various versions of an existing themes in Touhou, such as combining the original Witching Dream from Touhou 4 and adding elements from the .mid ZUN arrangement found of ZUN's old website, and thus it would add great additions to already solid tunes, and I have not seen many music albums do something like this, so it's still unique.

The artist behind the compositions, Sin, was an active composer from the looks, but sadly, I don't believe any onlooker has seen hide or hair of Sin since the blog they had has been inactive since 2012, and all the blog's song that were on there have invalid downloads that suggests they were pulled offline. All of those blog songs I, unfortunately, did not have the pleasure of listening to, but I'd imagine they would be of the kind of stellar quality that came from the albums here.

The only easily accessible finds of these two albums is on Bilibili for Theme of Reimu, and YouTube for Theme of Marisa; so if you want to hear these, search 'em out with the Japanese in album title, and I'd highly urge those here to check them out, especially Dichromatic Lotus Butterfly ~ Final Dream from Theme of Reimu and Vessel of Stars ~ Casket of Star from Theme of Marisa.
I'm a decade-old Touhou Project fan. I heavily advocate for what's obscure and less popular in this series such as the PC-98 era, not-often-heard ZUN music, and the much of unpopular/unused characters.

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 07:56:40 PM »
Foreground Eclipse will always have a place in my heart.  I admired so much how they made songs because that's what they enjoyed, whether it is good or bad.  That kind of spirit made listening to their music fun for me.

Shadowlupus

• Crimson Blade Hidden Amidst the Darkness
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 03:52:28 PM »
CROW'SCLAW has ended.

https://www.reddit.com/r/touhou/comments/5ysg8m/newscircle_discussion_crowsclaw_has_officially/

Another one of my favorite circle has disbanded. Today is a very sad day.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 04:56:36 PM »
Reading their notice, they aren't disbanding entirely, just halting all "offline" activities like making CDs to sell at events and holding concerts. In its place, they're going to do more stuff online (iTunes, Soundcloud, and Youtube were mentioned).

While I honestly found most of their catalog a bit on the samey side, Frozen Frog was one of the first Touhou rearrangement CDs I ever bought so for that alone I am grateful they stuck around for as long as they did.

In other news, there was a circle called Rythmique that touted itself as one that focused on R&B, soul, new jack swing and stuff in that vein. Their last release was a best-of compilation released in 2012. It's a shame to see unique circles fade away like that, but in this case, there was Orange Jam and Karento to fill that gap soon after.