Author Topic: 東方無色郷 ~ Phantasmagoria of Nonexistent Colors  (Read 5424 times)

東方無色郷 ~ Phantasmagoria of Nonexistent Colors
« on: January 03, 2017, 09:44:04 AM »
This will be a topic for my Touhou fangame, Phantasmagoria of Nonexistent Colors. I need help on:
* Music
* 3D Backgrounds
* Player Sprites and Scripts

Touhou Mushokukyou ~ Phantasmagoria of Nonexistent Colors will be a game with the following features:
* Color-themed gameplay inspired from Gore's Frantically Forbidden Fruit
* Routes packed with new bosses
* Playables featuring original and fanmade Touhou characters
* Subterranean Animism's switching shot types
* Tutorial Mode for those not used to Touhou
* Unique, anime-like art style

If you want to have a little introduction to this game, read this:
http://peppermintcandyart.deviantart.com/art/Introduction-to-Our-Fangame-647284224

Here is the list of bosses that will appear, along with their spellcards:
http://peppermintcandyart.deviantart.com/art/PoNC-Bosses-With-SPOILERS-647552779

And here are the players:
http://peppermintcandyart.deviantart.com/art/PoNC-Playable-Characters-more-updates-coming-652078087

"A new incident has taken place. Will you solve it?"

Nebulae--Addict

• hatsune the fuck
Re: 東方無色郷 ~ Phantasmagoria of Nonexistent Colors
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 08:15:26 PM »
oh hey peppermint

anyways this fangame is basically just a idea that me and her created and might never be finished,,
pls rember that wen u feel scare or frigten
never forget ttimes wen u feeled happy
wen day is dark alway rember happy day

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 09:41:06 PM »
Hello and welcome to RaNGE! I see that you're working on a large-scale Touhou fan game with 6 Stages + Extra + multiple routes.

As a rather longtime resident here who has worked on multiple projects and large-scale games, I'd like to share my 2 cents.

Firstly, I see that you are planning for your assets, including music and art. Do note that creating these assets takes a lot of time, especially given the sheer number of characters and stages you have. In general, making cutin images isn't too hard for artists (I assume you are capable of making your own cutins and boss/player graphics since you're coming from dA), but creating and animating sprites takes a lot of time. If you're not familiar with sprite sheets, I suggest that you start working with those. As for music, music is a very important part of the experience and you will want to ensure that the tempo and feel of the music work well with the stage/boss.

As of the time of writing, you have not specified which engine you are planning to use. If you decide to use Touhou Danmakufu ph3, we here at RaNGE have a number of people who can assist you. There are also quite a few resources. However, if this is your first Touhou Danmakufu project, I highly highly recommend that you do small script first to gain experience with the engine and how to code well, especially in regards to writing well-structured and refactor-friendly code, creating fun and enjoyable danmaku patterns, and providing a good user experience to the player.

Finally, before you start any real work on the project, I estimate that a project of this size will take about 2-3 years to make for an experienced coder and more for less experienced coders. Assuming your entire team works well together, you could bring the time frame down significantly, but this requires constant communication, a well-organized workflow, and good project planning + milestones + actual deadlines for when you want to have tasks done by.

For example, once I have a stage planned out, I can theoretically complete the code for the entire stage in about a week, but it usually takes 1-2 months due to various problems that arise, as well as life in general taking up time.

Anyways, good luck! Make sure to check the stickied posts for resources to help you on the project!

Nebulae--Addict

• hatsune the fuck
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 10:14:09 PM »
Hello and welcome to RaNGE! I see that you're working on a large-scale Touhou fan game with 6 Stages + Extra + multiple routes.

As a rather longtime resident here who has worked on multiple projects and large-scale games, I'd like to share my 2 cents.

Firstly, I see that you are planning for your assets, including music and art. Do note that creating these assets takes a lot of time, especially given the sheer number of characters and stages you have. In general, making cutin images isn't too hard for artists (I assume you are capable of making your own cutins and boss/player graphics since you're coming from dA), but creating and animating sprites takes a lot of time. If you're not familiar with sprite sheets, I suggest that you start working with those. As for music, music is a very important part of the experience and you will want to ensure that the tempo and feel of the music work well with the stage/boss.

As of the time of writing, you have not specified which engine you are planning to use. If you decide to use Touhou Danmakufu ph3, we here at RaNGE have a number of people who can assist you. There are also quite a few resources. However, if this is your first Touhou Danmakufu project, I highly highly recommend that you do small script first to gain experience with the engine and how to code well, especially in regards to writing well-structured and refactor-friendly code, creating fun and enjoyable danmaku patterns, and providing a good user experience to the player.

Finally, before you start any real work on the project, I estimate that a project of this size will take about 2-3 years to make for an experienced coder and more for less experienced coders. Assuming your entire team works well together, you could bring the time frame down significantly, but this requires constant communication, a well-organized workflow, and good project planning + milestones + actual deadlines for when you want to have tasks done by.

For example, once I have a stage planned out, I can theoretically complete the code for the entire stage in about a week, but it usually takes 1-2 months due to various problems that arise, as well as life in general taking up time.

Anyways, good luck! Make sure to check the stickied posts for resources to help you on the project!

hhhhey !! Thanks for the tips !! i am the one that works on the story's script and character creation, And also the one that originally made PoNC/MoNC/RoNC/the names keeps changing

Well, here's some stuff i need to tell.

Originally, there was no routes, but then stuff happend and routes were made, we might erase the "Gray" route and make kioku the only final boss again, just for the easiness sake.

We aleardy have the players!
we only need a aya player with orange hitbox, and a satsuki player with pink hitbox.
And also player spritesheets for those focused partners (the game also has some Imperishable Night stuff):
Tenshi
Suika
Momiji
Kosuzu
Patchouli
Nitori
Kanako
Suwako
Hina
Tojiko
Meiling
Flandre
Kaguya
Eirin

We aleardy have someone to work with the music, luckily.

Peppermint knows how to draw actually! she did the sketches for the Stage 1 Boss of the White Route, Yuki and Kasai, and made some danmakufu scripts for them, it's not finished tho.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 10:33:46 PM by Nebulae--Addict »

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• CEO at Team Eternal Desire
  • ??? X
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 11:12:42 PM »
So after going through the links posted. Which by the way, it is best to provide summaries in the thread rather than shooting links to offhand sites. There's a lot wrong with your ideas and I can easily tell that very little thought was put into them. So rather than addressing that (not in the mood for the giant wall of text explanations), I'm just going to give you some general advice on getting through the planning stage and being able to judge what is a good idea and what is a bad idea.

Starting out with the plot of the game. So the one thing about Touhou plots is that you luckily don't need anything too complex and there are definitely some wacky and weird stories across all of the games. However, what you seem to have for a plot suggests that you came up with it on the spot but don't really know where to take it.

Ask yourself before continuing: "Why is this a problem for the heroines?", "Why is this a problem for Gensokyo?", "What are the motives for the ones causing this issue?", "How can I formulate all of this into an acceptable plot?". These are good questions to reflect on as it gets you thinking deeply about the story and plot of the game and how everything eventually adds up. Right now, you have no plot or story, just an idea for one so you should go back, take some time to elaborate on what your game is essentially about because right now, I'm not seeing it. I'm not seeing why the characters are involved, I'm not seeing who is the cause or antagonist etc... It takes more than a few sentences to explain these things. Or rather, it should take more.

As for the gameplay mechanics, you have a lot of players it seems. You need to make sure that they all have unique and interesting play styles. The gameplay gimmick suffers from the same problem as your story does. Lack of explanation, possibly because you have not gotten far enough to really think about what the color stuff is going to do to enhance the gameplay in a positive way. You mention basic details but never actually went into depth on that part.

So yeah, if you really want help you need to show promise, show people that your project is worth their time. Yes that means you have to sit down for hours even, to think of a good plot, a good backstory, gameplay mechanics, etc... No one is going to be interested if you don't give them anything to be interested in. No one is going to want to help you if you don't show them that their efforts won't go to waste.

These are things I have learned from working on my own game as well as collaborating with others.

Nebulae--Addict

• hatsune the fuck
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 11:23:45 PM »
So after going through the links posted. Which by the way, it is best to provide summaries in the thread rather than shooting links to offhand sites. There's a lot wrong with your ideas and I can easily tell that very little thought was put into them. So rather than addressing that (not in the mood for the giant wall of text explanations), I'm just going to give you some general advice on getting through the planning stage and being able to judge what is a good idea and what is a bad idea.

Starting out with the plot of the game. So the one thing about Touhou plots is that you luckily don't need anything too complex and there are definitely some wacky and weird stories across all of the games. However, what you seem to have for a plot suggests that you came up with it on the spot but don't really know where to take it.

Ask yourself before continuing: "Why is this a problem for the heroines?", "Why is this a problem for Gensokyo?", "What are the motives for the ones causing this issue?", "How can I formulate all of this into an acceptable plot?". These are good questions to reflect on as it gets you thinking deeply about the story and plot of the game and how everything eventually adds up. Right now, you have no plot or story, just an idea for one so you should go back, take some time to elaborate on what your game is essentially about because right now, I'm not seeing it. I'm not seeing why the characters are involved, I'm not seeing who is the cause or antagonist etc... It takes more than a few sentences to explain these things. Or rather, it should take more.

As for the gameplay mechanics, you have a lot of players it seems. You need to make sure that they all have unique and interesting play styles. The gameplay gimmick suffers from the same problem as your story does. Lack of explanation, possibly because you have not gotten far enough to really think about what the color stuff is going to do to enhance the gameplay in a positive way. You mention basic details but never actually went into depth on that part.

So yeah, if you really want help you need to show promise, show people that your project is worth their time. Yes that means you have to sit down for hours even, to think of a good plot, a good backstory, gameplay mechanics, etc... No one is going to be interested if you don't give them anything to be interested in. No one is going to want to help you if you don't show them that their efforts won't go to waste.

These are things I have learned from working on my own game as well as collaborating with others.

I thought she would put a entire summary of the story instead of using links.

We still have a lot of stuff to update.

..I think you got something wrong tho, there are only seven players. (Reimu, Aya, Marisa, Sanae, Youmu, Sakuya, and Reisen.)

And also, you should have said some stuff to me instead, i am the one that works on the story, after all.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 08:53:52 AM by Nebulae--Addict »

PhantomSong

• The Ghost Living through Everyday Life.
  • Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 11:27:21 PM »
I find your idea quite ambitious! I like it for the most part.

However I do have a couple of my own questions:
- What program do you intend to do your game on? Is it Danmakufu? GameMaker(I believe Wishmaker does stuff in that)? Your own engine?
- How experienced are you in said program?

From what I gathered, you have boss sprites and such? Being you aren't asking for them, or a person to assist in coding is there any way we could see some kind of progress lik screenshots, videos, etc? Some people[ get very skeptical when an very ambitious project comes around with nothing to show.

Nebulae--Addict

• hatsune the fuck
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 11:31:25 PM »
I find your idea quite ambitious! I like it for the most part.

However I do have a couple of my own questions:
- What program do you intend to do your game on? Is it Danmakufu? GameMaker(I believe Wishmaker does stuff in that)? Your own engine?
- How experienced are you in said program?

From what I gathered, you have boss sprites and such? Being you aren't asking for them, or a person to assist in coding is there any way we could see some kind of progress lik screenshots, videos, etc? Some people[ get very skeptical when an very ambitious project comes around with nothing to show.

Yes! we are using danmakufu!

PhantomSong

• The Ghost Living through Everyday Life.
  • Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 11:34:58 PM »
Yes! we are using danmakufu!
Is there any potential way we could see any form of progress being on the game? Screenshots? Videos?

Nebulae--Addict

• hatsune the fuck
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 12:11:54 AM »
Here is some of the non spells.

"Yuki's easy nonspell"
I dislike this a bit for some reason.
Sure, it's just a nonspell, but...

"Yuki's normal nonspell"
Now this looks better, we need to update the boss image tho.

"Yuki's hard nonspell"
Those colors does not fit at all, needs to be changed, pink is not a cold color.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 12:13:27 AM by Nebulae--Addict »

Nebulae--Addict

• hatsune the fuck
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 09:26:54 AM »
hey y'all, we have a bad news

Peppermint does not feel like posting this idea on MoTK worked and won't update it, well, atleast i'm still here.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 09:53:00 AM by Nebulae--Addict »