Author Topic: PSA: LocaleSwitch and Windows 10's Anniversary Update  (Read 6914 times)

DarkPermafrost

• Wandering Lone Wolf
PSA: LocaleSwitch and Windows 10's Anniversary Update
« on: December 24, 2016, 02:37:04 AM »
(I apologise if this is in the wrong subforum.)

Some of us may have been getting by using the LocaleSwitch utility to run our Touhou fangames, such as Shining Shooting Star. However, as of the Windows 10 Anniversary Update (build 1607), LocaleSwitch stopped working and now throws up "can not open nls file extension" errors instead. There are alternatives to LocaleSwitch, such as Locale Emulator and NTLEA, but none of them work as well (at least, in my experience).

After digging about trying to find what was changed in between Windows 10 build 1511 and build 1607, I discovered that several locale files (the .nls files that LocaleSwitch is complaining about not being able to open) present in the C:\Windows\SYSWOW64 folder in the old builds are no longer present as of the Anniversary Update. This causes LocaleSwitch to be unable to find and thus open the relevant locale files to run these games in another locale.

Attached is a small zip file containing 4 of the more relevant locale files taken from the same directory from a previous Windows build. Unzip them into the C:\Windows\SYSWOW64 folder and LocaleSwitch should no longer complain about missing nls files again (at least, for the time being). You may need administrator privileges to do this.

There's also a readme in there that reflects most of what I said above.

Do inform me if something breaks.

Grrr.
---
YouTube