Author Topic: Touhou 15.5: 東方憑依華 (Eastern Blooms of Possession) ~ Antinomy of Common Flowers  (Read 519804 times)

CyberAngel

• Retired
Actually, it does make some sense for Tenshi to be a young child. That's how she was when her family ascended to heaven. And odds are immortality comes with halting any further aging. ...I do have to admit I also considered her to be in late teens. Oh well, guess she's my Angel Daughter now.

That said, using GoM illustrations as proof is probably a bad idea. Half the characters are drawn way too young and cutesy there, almost chibified in some cases.

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
Tenshi being a child explains her "flatness," if you know what I mean.

AndyPyro

• Dangerous Stranger
  • Hi Hey Hello Hai Hola
Whew.

Was not prepared for Tenshi's return.

Although it's already been said by others, I do admit that I'm a bit disappointed that someone who's been in a fighter before is appearing again.

But hey, that HAARP thing is pretty cool!
I also am just excited to see the interactions and how the story goes with these few!

If I may ask, are the remaining slots for the character roster only for the final boss(es)?
If anyone knows, I mean.

I think we're taking Tenshi's portrait at face value cuz Harukawa can definitely draw adult proportions. Byakuren, Mamizou and Kasen all come into mind. So unless it's an imitator then there might be reasons why Tenshi's draw like that.

Or I'm just looking way into it, which happens many times with touhou lol.

Drake

You guys seriously care way too much about stuff that literally does not matter at all.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

game2011

• mineiptXD
Whew.

Was not prepared for Tenshi's return.

Although it's already been said by others, I do admit that I'm a bit disappointed that someone who's been in a fighter before is appearing again.

But hey, that HAARP thing is pretty cool!
I also am just excited to see the interactions and how the story goes with these few!

If I may ask, are the remaining slots for the character roster only for the final boss(es)?
If anyone knows, I mean.
Either they really are for the two final bosses, or those two will have their own slots once you've obtained them, so the remaining two slots are for other established characters.

How do I use second spellcard? In old demo you have to press A while first attack, but now it isn't working or I'm doing something wrong  ???

The ⑨th Zentillion

• The impeaches were delicious...
  • Now hungry for conviction!
    • Zentillion's Tumblr
You guys seriously care way too much about stuff that literally does not matter at all.

Pretty much this.
Did you bring a light?
...No...

Smash the Fash; The far right belongs in the TRASH.

game2011

• mineiptXD
I think this affects artists the most.  They'll be wondering how they should draw Tenshi from now on.

The ⑨th Zentillion

• The impeaches were delicious...
  • Now hungry for conviction!
    • Zentillion's Tumblr
When has that honestly stopped artists before, though?

...And before someone pulls the "it's different than reinterpreting ZUN art" card, it really isn't.
Did you bring a light?
...No...

Smash the Fash; The far right belongs in the TRASH.

CyberAngel

• Retired
How about you people stop telling everyone what they should or shouldn't care about. Sure, this isn't anything groundbreaking, but it's still new information, even if it's new in the sense of "something nobody paid any attention to before". Besides, this does paint events of SWR in a new light - Tenko acted like she did because she literally IS a spoiled child, and not out of any conscious arrogance which you'd expect from an adult acting like that.

Drake

I think this affects artists the most.  They'll be wondering how they should draw Tenshi from now on.
Not really. Zent's reply summarizes it enough. New official art, whether it's new artists, outfits, hair styles, body figure, etc; everything strictly increases the pool of design material people pull from to create derivative works. People concerned about using any specific designs will pull from that material, but generally people draw from their understanding and envisioning of a character based on the combined material of that character (even including other derivatives). Adding new artistic detail, even when some aspects are changed to be different than previous material, doesn't erase the previous stuff. This is particularly important for Touhou; malleability of character design even in official works is part of why the designs are so appealing.

Additionally, people already portray Tenshi as young. No new artistic details are really even added here to pull from. The slightly derpy face she's making is legitimately the most detail that's being gleaned.

Besides, this does paint events of SWR in a new light - Tenko acted like she did because she literally IS a spoiled child
This was explained in her profile though? And the fact remains that she's arbitrarily old anyways; her behaviour is all you have to talk about apparent age. Whether her body might have stopped aging or not is neither here nor there, especially since anything that's not a normal human can be designed to look however old.

Anyways, the main reason I say this doesn't matter (not that people "should" stop caring about it) is because artistic detail in Touhou generally does not infer setting detail. How an artist chooses to portray a character does not "make" them something different. If e.g. Tenshi is supposed to be young, she is young because the writing and author intent shows as such, and the art is informed from that depiction or direction, not the other way around. This art by itself doesn't actually inform people that Tenshi is meant to be young. Without the other existing cues already suggesting that, there's no reason to say it's anything but artist choice. She could be given massive tits just because the artist wants to; it does not matter. At least stuff like random massive breasts gets to bring up the question of how it got past ZUN.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Another goddamn character who was already featured in a previous fighter? Lame.

She wasn't just featured in an existing Touhou fighting game; she was introduced in and represents one. As always, the roster appears designed to show off the full spectrum of Touhou characters, so having one to represent the earlier series of fighting games makes sense. I think Suika is cooler but Tenshi is fine too, I can see her fitting the game's style.

At this point every mainline Touhou game post 7 is represented (with 9 as an understandable exception), plus the print works with Kasen and even arguably the sealing club with Sumireko. The roster covers a lot of ground.

Welp, 10 days to go! I highly suspect that that currently empty box may be being left for perhaps dumping a character in a later patch, as 19 characters is sort of akward. We did have Meiling in IaMP v1.11, so there's precedent.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 03:46:26 AM by CapTengu »
Je pense, donc je suis.

AndyPyro

• Dangerous Stranger
  • Hi Hey Hello Hai Hola
If we go along the whole 'representing a previous game' shtick...

I feel there's a few I'd like to point out that could be possible.

Do correct / slap me if I pull out a character that is from a game that one of the characters from the current roster is from.

I would include the PC-98 games, but I honestly am not expecting anything from here.
Although I won't scratch out the possibility.
I was going to go entirely with characters who haven't been in fighters before, but I feel that's a bit more challenging with Tenshi hopping back on the roster.

If I have to guess :

EoSD - Either Rumia or Flandre.  I honestly doubt Rumia will appear, or Flandre as well.  But hey, these two have yet to shine anywhere else too besides their respective games.

PCB - Alice or Youmu (Perhaps Yuyuko?).  I honestly do doubt Alice will be coming back.  For one reason.  Her play style.  Which I feel has been sort of taken by Futo.  But otherwise, I feel the whole 'Doll = Possession' thing fits.  Sorta.  Do slap me, like I said.
As for Youmu, I feel it's probably to include somebody from PCB.
I also want to say the Prismriver Sisters (Mainly Lunasa), but I can't exactly see them anywhere else besides PoFV... < <

PoFV - Medicine or Yuuka.  Both of them are involved with Flowers.  Otherwise, I feel Medicine fits with the possession stuff. (Man, I cannot get that whole 'Related to Dolls = Related to this game' out of my head, huh?)  There are also a few urban legends that involve dolls that I've mentioned before in this post.
As for Yuuka...  And as many have said before...  She's the flower master, come on!

Lebon14

• 椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!
Andy, if people can play Rosalina in Smash 4 or the Ice Climbers in Melee, I think people could play Alice and control a few dolls at the same time. ;)

Well, you also have to think about the sort of Urban Legend that would fit them, and right now, I can't think of any for dear old Flandre to have here.

The urban legend isn't a problem at all. I seriously doubt any of the characters were chosen with an urban legend in mind: they were chosen first and the legend was chosen to (loosely) match them afterward. Does Shinmyoumaru really make you immediately think "little green men"? Does Nitori make you think "Loch Ness Monster"? If so, I'd have to say that's a little weird.

game2011

• mineiptXD
Alice's urban legend could've been the Mary the Doll, but that's taken by Koishi of all people.  Even that UL fits Medicine better.

#JUNKO4TH15.5

• 見えない満月
  • [LoLK is best touhou]
after the game comes out, how long will it take for us to get an english patch?
normal 1cc: every game, shitton of times
hard 1cc: legacy of lunatic kingdom
extra: flandre, ran, yukari, mokou, suwako, mamizou, hecatia, okina

Since it's a fighting game, it'll take longer than HSiFS, so expect about a week i guess.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 12:55:09 PM by CapTengu »
Je pense, donc je suis.

AndyPyro

• Dangerous Stranger
  • Hi Hey Hello Hai Hola
Andy, if people can play Rosalina in Smash 4 or the Ice Climbers in Melee, I think people could play Alice and control a few dolls at the same time. ;)

That's true.

Although I meant as in her play style in SWR / Hisoutensoku.  Where she would deploy dolls to use.  And Futo would deploy plates and such.  Although both function differently in the end... so I'm still unsure if what I said is valid.

But the play style you brought up would definitely be pretty fun, honestly.  Playable Shanghai when?

Well, you also have to think about the sort of Urban Legend that would fit them, and right now, I can't think of any for dear old Flandre to have here.
Hmm... the Jersey Devil?
Je pense, donc je suis.

Now I wanna see Remillia or Flandre with El Chupacabra as their legend, but they just chuck Tupai in the opponents face.

Well, maybe more than that. I think the ULiL English patch took 12 or 18 months. With everything I did to support the fighters with thcrap, 1 week seems possible if they don't change anything in their engine. But we already know they changed it to add some characters, and I'm sure I'll have to fix a few small things for that. There is also Steam support - I wasn't the one working on the HSiFS Steam support, so that will be my 1st time working on bypassing Steam DRM. And it they decide to change their file format once again... For ULiL, I spent 6 months trying to understand the new file format, until I found someone who already wrote an unpacker. I hope I would be able to do it myself now, but it would still take time.

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
  • I am still here. Sometimes.

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
Aaaaaand, there goes my hope they went with Ran instead if they wanted to involve Yukari.

Do they plan to port all Soku characters eventually or what?

CyberAngel

• Retired
Wow, something important enough to wake her up is going on after all? Color me interested.

I always wondered what's her opinion on the major newcomers. Guess that question will be answered soon!

Wooooooooow I wasn't even expecting another character, let alone her. But wait, Reimu took a lot of stuff from Hisou Yukari and made it her own. I wonder what they're going to do with her now... Jeez, I really didn't care at first but I'm getting super hyped for this game now.

Of course, google translate is NOT helpful whatsoever. But it seems like her urban legend has something to do with some entity from another dimension....? Excited to hear from someone who can say for sure.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 09:52:49 AM by TresserT »
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

☆ Kana ☆

• Vanishing Dream
  • Lost Dream
    • lololololo tungle
what dimension am i in

Well I guess now I can make a Yukari and Tenshi team if I want.  :V
Dream a dream so grand...that it becomes a nightmare.