Author Topic: Excess input issue Embodiment of Scarlet Devil  (Read 6153 times)

Onion

• Classic era Marisa-like entity
  • Failing at Touhou since 2000-something
Excess input issue Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
« on: December 01, 2016, 08:58:42 AM »
I am having (what I think is) an interesting problem.

When I play EoSD on Windows 10, everything's fine. 60 frames, controls function, no input lag, things look nice.
Except for one thing.
When I hold down the fire button, the PC fires for a little longer than I'd like her to. If I'm holding down for a rather long time, she stays firing. For a long time.
It's not gamebreaking for me, but my typical strategy of holding down the fire key makes conversations and the end of stages annoying. I have to wait for the game to stop thinking I'm holding down the fire key for me to actually move through a conversation (I can skip like normal), or past the results screen, or to make an option on the continue screen. And when I do end a game, my name is put in as AAAAAAA without my consent due to this stuckness.

I have tried:
Other games. No issue.
vSync patch. Issue.
Japanese copy only. Doesn't run (unrelated issue)
All graphic pretties on. Issue.
All graphic pretties off. Issue.
60 fps lock, both on and off. Issue.
Reduced the rasterizer to 1/3. Issue worsened. Worse, game looked awful.

My guess is that by holding down the key, the input buffer fills with fire key, slightly faster than the game gets it (I don't hold a perfect 60, it's like 59.97 or something.). This buffer keeps filling with the fire key, until I let go, and the game works through this backlog. What should I do? Change the key repeat rate? Is this issue known? What is the optimal key repeat rate for EoSD? Can I just get a passive program to limit the size of the keybuffer? Can I just change a setting in Windows? The "stuck key" issue doesn't delay the processing of other, simultaneous keys; why?

This doesn't affect my actual gameplay too greatly; relatively rusty, and I can get to Remilia on normal.

Also, sometimes, EoSD refuses to start windowed, freezing at the loading screen with the title music playing. This affects IN for me too. I don't have PCB, I imagine it messes with games all the way up to MoF. Unrelated issue, I play in fullscreen anyways, but I'm left curious as to why. Why?
Please wait warmly. Girls are intentionally leaving this space blank.

Since everybody has these: 1CC PoDD ez, 1CC(?) EoSD ez, PD LoLK, something something HM ULiL

Re: Excess input issue Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 04:22:52 AM »
Well that's a new one.

Reset all the custom.exe settings to default if you haven't done that already.

Have you changed your keyboard settings at any point? Most people don't ever touch the key repeat rate setting, and I can't imagine that affecting Touhou.
Most importantly, have you tried a different keyboard?

59.97fps is technically not normal; you should be getting a perfect 60.00fps (with maybe some minor fluctuations here and there). What monitor do you use, and what GPU?
Do you use the DX8-to-DX9 converter? What about vpatch?
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

Onion

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 04:53:06 AM »
I use a HP Pavilion laptop, with its built-in monitor, and an AMD A6-4455M APU.

Had just played as Reimu; held 60 frames most of the time, issue not noticeable. When it did slow, the sticking occurred. I think it is now safe to say it has to do with the framerate.

I don't use vPatch. Curiously, I haven't encountered the normal issues that people complain about. I am unsure about the DX8-to-DX9 converter. There's an enbconvertor.ini file in that folder, but nothing conspicuously labeled as a DirectX converter.

I do not have a different keyboard atm.

After resetting custom:
Does not start. Switching to windowed mode- oh wait, that has it's own issues.
Compatibility mode: 16 bit color
Solid 60 frames, occasionally higher. (60.08)
Both characters as above, maybe slightly alleviated.

In keyboard settings, both repeat delay and repeat speed were maxed.
Bottomed out key repeat: No change
Bottomed out repeat delay: No change

Oh hey- I have a PS2 game controller. Using that instead.
Fixed. No button issues. Stupid keyboard. >:(
Now, having to use a joystick to move is annoying. Using JoyToKey.

Results:
I have heard A Soul as Red as a Ground Cherry way too much now.
Reimu feels really slow and weak.
The built in keyboard sucks.
Getting a new keyboard. Please wait warmly or whatnot.

Now why would the keyboard do that to me...?

Since everybody has these: 1CC PoDD ez, 1CC(?) EoSD ez, PD LoLK, something something HM ULiL

Onion

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 08:17:33 AM »
New keyboard: HP USB. Works like a charm for this input problem. Also, framerate dropped to 10. What is even going on here?
Tried it again. Twice. Seems to be a fluke.
Man, solid 60 feels smooth. And fast. I'm going to have to relearn everything, because I gained one frame.
Also, I noticed that the player character drops a fixed amount of P blocks on death, even if they have collected none. Is dying immediately upon starting a good strategy? /offtopic

Drake

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 09:30:53 AM »
It would be a good strategy if the first stage were actually difficult or if there were scoring benefits, but unlike SA (where you do this) I don't think EoSD gains anything from it.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 07:23:03 PM »
Glad to hear the USB keyboard works ok. Sucks to hear that the built-in keyboard has issues.
Consider reverting the keyboard settings to default; repeat and delay are going to affect your typing and other things.

If there's an enbconverter.ini and a d3d8.dll in your game directory, that means you have the DX8-to-DX9 converter, and that's ok.

Are you sure you need compatibility mode? Using 16-bit color instead of 32-bit color is weird.
Are you playing in Windowed or Fullscreen right now?

Framerate dropping to 15-18 happens on my laptop on occasion; it seems to be a Windows 10 fluke.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.

Onion

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 11:32:23 PM »
Dropping compatibility mode has no issues with 32-bit color enabled in settings. I only used compatibility mode after resetting settings; the default was 16 bit color, which caused the game to fail to start without compatibility mode.

I always use fullscreen mode, one because I enjoy the larger viewspace, and two, after I hibernate my computer at least once, EoSD refuses to start windowed unless I reboot. I get the loading screen, and when the title music starts, it quits responding and requires me to kill the task.

There is no revert to default option on the keyboard settings page, and I happen to like the high repeat rate; don't ask why, I don't know.

I'll poke at the DX converter, see if it's connected to my (nonessential) windowing issue. Or if I even need it.

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 04:57:02 AM »
DX8-to-DX9 converter is pretty important for avoiding infinite framerate and fullscreen issues on Windows 10, so I would leave that alone. Not sure why windowed doesn't work for you but w/e, I like fullscreen too.
I highly recommend also setting up the VSyncPatch for less input lag, but that's optional since things are working well enough on your end.