Author Topic: Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them: It's Like Canon Fan Fiction  (Read 2165 times)

commandercool

• alter cool
Just got back from the new Harry Potter movie. After hour weak the trailers were my expectations were low, but I liked it a lot. The first half hour or so is rough as hell as a metric fuckton of exposition gets rolled out, but as it picks up steam it really turns into a thing.

It's unfair of me to keep ribbingly calling the more recent Harry Potter fiction "J.K. Rowling's fan fiction of her own property" because frankly there are a ton of new ideas and concepts in it and that's not very fan-fictional at all. I mean it more as a reference to how endearing I find how invested she is in her own work to be. I think Rowling is the world's biggest Harry Potter fan, and that's kind of amazing.

So yeah, the new movie is worth a watch. Not being adapted from an existing piece of fiction is stands up on its own much better than any of the others, and while it does lean heavily on some kind of shaky CG and has an incredibly dreary palette for the most part it's still plenty of fun to look at.

Anybody else seen it and have thoughts?
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.