Author Topic: STOP! Hammer Time! Let's Play Rabi-Ribi! (Mostly Blind Video LP)  (Read 18934 times)

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
In ancient times, I have attempted (and failed) to make decent LPs here on this forum. But times have changed. New technology is now available to make recording PC gameplay easier, and I have decided to take advantage of it...

...By making an LP about a rabbit girl beating up folks with a hammer and a magical fairy. This, fellow Meidos, is Rabi-Ribi:

It's a Metroid-like platformer with some light RPG elements, cute characters, bouncy music, decent-but-somewhat-questionable pixel art, and surprisingly enough, danmaku. Both enemies and bosses will flood the screen with bullets, but thankfully our protagonist Erina has an appropriately tiny hitbox to evade most of the pain being flung in her direction. "But why?" you might ask, as you read this summary and look at its accompanying Steam page. Well, to be frank, I'm not sure myself. Erina's a rabbit turned human, and our job is to figure out why she turned human, while beating up rabbit-obsessed cultists and a slew of boss characters out for Erina's head.

As the thread title implies, this is a mostly blind LP, so forgive me if I'm doing something wrong or if I miss a valuable pickup somewhere in my playthrough. Any advice concerning gameplay or production (how I handle commentary, video recording, etc) is greatly appreciated, since this is my first (public) video playthrough. If you have played through this game, please use a little common courtesy and tag your spoilers. Mostly anything purely gameplay-related is fine to spoil, but stuff about the plot, whom I'm gonna fight or anything I should discover on my own should be tagged.

With that out of the way, here are the videos! I'll try and crank out at least one video a day, maybe two if I'm feeling really motivated, but don't be surprised if I slip up now and then. LPs are hard work.

Part 1: Rabbit Beats Fairy
Part 2: Civilization at last!
Part 3: Operation Fairy Rescue
Part 4: Exotic Vanillas
Part 5: Frozen Chocolates
Part 6: Ancient Egyptian Computers (trigger warning: creepy otaku stereotype and butt shots)
Part 7: What The Plurk?!
Part 8: Plant-tastic Item Hunting!
Part 9: City Trial
Part 10: Sky-High Princess
Part 11: Succubusted!
Part 12: Journey's End? (END OF MAIN STORY)

Part 13: Polar Bear Club Initiation
Part 14: Deep Sea Sonata
Part 15: Now With Extra Salt!
Part 16: Burning with Laughter
Part 17: A Trip Down Memory Pain
Part 18: Little Shopkeeper of Horrors
Part 19: Explosion of Magic
Part 20: Boss Crush
Part 21: Rumi-nations (END OF STORY PROGRESSION)

Part 22: Forest Cleanup
Part 23: Riverbank Cleanup
Part 24: Riverbank Cleanup Part 2
Part 25: Subterranean Area and Sky-High Bridge Cleanup
Part 26: Tundra, System and Beach Cleanup
Part 27: Graveyard and Sky Town Cleanup (END OF ITEM COLLECTION)
Part 28: The Not So Long Library (TRUE FINAL BOSS)

Bonus Video 1: Boss Rush
Bonus Video 2: Fairy Feast
Bonus Video 3: Ashuri's Analysis
Bonus Video 4: Cuckoo Cocoa
Bonus 5: Another Boss Rush
Bonus 6: Beta Content (THE END?)

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
Re: STOP! Hammer Time! Let's Play Rabi-Ribi! (Mostly Blind Video LP)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 06:01:15 PM »
For anyone reading this, I seem to have come down with a cold today...So I won't be able to do any more videos until I get better (unless you want to hear a sniffling, sneezing, coughing Lemming commentate over this game). What a way to start an LP, huh?

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 01:08:20 AM »
After a week of technical difficulties and political nonsense (plus a lack of motivation in general), I present to you, Rabi-Ribi Part 3. Watch as I trip over my own words and multiple laser beams in this episode!

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 03:37:02 AM »
The developer wanted a character with fin funnels, so Kotri was created.

The easter eggs will give you a new shot type for Ribbon, but the charged shot costs money (and heals you). Collecting more eggs increases its damage.  Its boost attack gives you the Amulet Cut and Bunny Lover buffs when you stand in its aura and can damage bosses that can't be hit during certain attacks/phases (the final boss of the main game and the final boss of the post game come to mind).

It's possible to get the Rabi Slippers without going through the UPRPRC hideout, but there is an easter egg in there in addition to the Mana Up.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 08:48:39 AM »
The developer wanted a character with fin funnels, so Kotri was created.
Interesting to know! Thanks for the trivia!

The easter eggs will give you a new shot type for Ribbon, but the charged shot costs money (and heals you). Collecting more eggs increases its damage.  Its boost attack gives you the Amulet Cut and Bunny Lover buffs when you stand in its aura and can damage bosses that can't be hit during certain attacks/phases (the final boss of the main game and the final boss of the post game come to mind).
Yeah, I kept hitting
Spoiler:
Seana
during one of her attacks and I did like no damage. Didn't help she was on her last sliver of HP...And yes, I did do a bit of scouting around to see what areas I could access and what the bosses felt like, so I guess this LP is a bit less blind now. ^^;;

It's possible to get the Rabi Slippers without going through the UPRPRC hideout, but there is an easter egg in there in addition to the Mana Up.
Is the Egg hidden behind the wall near the second Heal Point? That's about the only place I'd assume it would be.

Barrakketh

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 02:33:11 AM »
Is the Egg hidden behind the wall near the second Heal Point? That's about the only place I'd assume it would be.
No, it is on the same floor as the Mana Up. A carrot bomb on the far left side will break part of the floor.

The wall to the right of the second heal point opens up during the final chapter of the game. Hopefully the final area and True Last Boss will make up for the lack of challenge from playing on casual >:D
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 04:17:32 AM »
No, it is on the same floor as the Mana Up. A carrot bomb on the far left side will break part of the floor.
Noted! I'll go check it out when I go item hunting near the end.

Hopefully the final area and True Last Boss will make up for the lack of challenge from playing on casual >:D
I have a hard enough time beating most Touhou games on Easy... @__@ On a scale of 1 to 10, how boned am I?

CF7

• Can you feel the LOVE tonight?
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 09:24:45 AM »
I have a hard enough time beating most Touhou games on Easy... @__@ On a scale of 1 to 10, how boned am I?
Final area is IWBTG lite. True Last Boss has some fun spellcards attacks and she was kinda hard, but manageable, once you learn the patterns.
I'd say 3 to 5.
Sometimes rumors are just... rumors

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 12:28:07 AM »
I'd say 3 to 5.
Ok, I should be fine then. Whew...

I didn't update this last week, and since Thanksgiving's in a few days I figured I'd start cranking out videos this week. Here, have some Vanilla and Chocolate to make up for the lack of videos. ^^;;

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 01:07:33 AM »
I...Uh...Words can't describe this next part. I spend a good amount of time just bumbling around before...Well, you'll see.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 11:29:21 PM »
Our adventures in the woods are not done yet! In Part 8, we fight a boss, and...I start meandering around again. :V

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2016, 12:32:43 AM »
Part 9 is up, and Part 10 is processing. Lemme know if the second link doesn't come out right.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2016, 08:00:06 AM »
In this episode, we fight a succubus named Lilith. Obvious Darkstalkers reference or generic sexy monmusu? YOU DECIDE!

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2016, 12:17:13 AM »
Part 12 is still processing, but in this episode, we find out what happened to Miru and fight the final bosses of the game! This was totally planned and not at all accidental, no sir. :V

CF7

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2016, 07:35:59 AM »
In this episode, we fight a succubus named Lilith. Obvious Darkstalkers reference or generic sexy monmusu? YOU DECIDE!
Hm... Weird. She either didn't use it or somehow you wasn't hit by it, but you didn't see her sorta signature attack, where she stuns you and then hit you for a fixed 69x3 times for a total of 207 damage.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2016, 11:31:52 AM »
She tried it at around 5:17. Luckily, Lem's moving forward was enough to evade. I'm already too used to encountering her early, at points where that's either instant death or activates Survival Instinct, so I've learned to recognize how that attack works.
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2016, 08:04:43 PM »
Hm... Weird. She either didn't use it or somehow you wasn't hit by it, but you didn't see her sorta signature attack, where she stuns you and then hit you for a fixed 69x3 times for a total of 207 damage.
Oh wow, I guess I should be thankful then. I hate attacks that lock you in place and hit you while you can't do a darn thing to help yourself. Maybe I'll see it again in the boss rush?

In any case, here's a new video. You might wanna bundle up for this one, because it's about to get much colder around here.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2016, 12:00:36 AM »
Having successfully passed her initiation, Erina decides to take a dip in the freezing cold waters off the coast of Rabi-Ribi island! Much meandering! Such item hunting! Wow!

CF7

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2016, 09:22:05 AM »
Having successfully passed her initiation, Erina decides to take a dip in the freezing cold waters off the coast of Rabi-Ribi island! Much meandering! Such item hunting! Wow!
So, Seana is officially a post-game boss. Ha-ha-ha. It all makes sense now.
In my first blind playthrough on Normal i ended up fighting her in Chapter 1. Her fight was *~-.special.-~*

Barrakketh

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2016, 06:37:07 PM »
Did you get the water orb first?

You do get an achievement for skipping it, but I only bothered because it was part of my 0% file.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2016, 02:35:24 AM »
...Youtube did an excellent job of picking out a thumbnail for this episode.

Your Everyday NEET

• Part time Researcher & Let's Player, full time NEET, also an eel
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2016, 05:25:36 AM »
Happy Halloween everyone! Oh wait, it's nearing Christmas.

I would like to give you sone tips:
- If you have enough stamina, you could chain your full combo into Bunny Strike (YYYYY + Slide Y). This will deal ludicrous damage to bosses (and you can charge Ribbon's attack and immediately blast the opponent after you done your combo).
- If the enemy is airborne, you should switch to Healing Staff (Green shot) as its charged attack has slight homing and goes through wall. Plus, it's boosted attack heals you. Perfect for annoying platforming section.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 07:09:40 AM by Your Everyday NEET »

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2016, 03:42:06 AM »
- If you have enough stamina, you could chain your full combo into Bunny Strike (YYYYY + Slide Y). This will deal ludicrous damage to bosses (and you can charge Ribbon's attack and immediately blast the opponent after you done your combo).
I can do that in theory, but it'd require a bit of muscle memory on my part. Thanks for that though!

- If the enemy is airborne, you should switch to Healing Staff (Green shot) as its charged attack has slight homing and goes through wall. Plus, it's boosted attack heals you. Perfect for annoying platforming section.
Yeah, I tried to use that in the final boss' second form, but...Either I have the clumsiest movement or the attacks do so little damage. Seriously, some of these bosses have way too much health for that sort segment... (shrugs)

I dunno when I'll get my next video out, probably Wednesday at the earliest. I'd like to finish this game at *some* point in the near future. :V

Your Everyday NEET

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2016, 12:11:37 PM »
Kotri said she doesn't excel in any elements despite her fire form is definitely the strongest. I fought her 2nd to last just before the final final boss, got wrecked badly like you.

The other shots you haven't got are Explode Shot and Carrot Shot. Explode kinda sucks and don't suit your playstyle. Carrot deals more damage the lower your HP is, even then, Ribbon's regular shot outclasses it. You get Carrot Shot just before the next boss.

You seem to be extremely reluctant to get close to the boss. After a barrage of danmaku, most bosses don't attack for a while, and that's your chance to quickly approach them, preferably with Bunny Strike (Slide + Y) since it dashes you forward really fast. Also, you seem to lost your original combo of YYYYY, up + Y, up+Y.

After a while, I just don't bother fighting illusion bosses, you can just skip them with no repercussion.

You equipped the badge that prevent collision damage (Pure Love) right? If you do, I suggest you unequip it before the next boss (And also your poison badge as well). And also, spend whatever money you have. Trust me on that.

Healing Staff's charged attacks goes through wall, it's better to quickly saps enemies' health if they're behind solid object and if they're in different height.

There's 2 Teleport Stones you haven't touched right? That's mean there's 2 stages left?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 03:54:59 PM by Your Everyday NEET »

Barrakketh

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2016, 05:28:01 PM »
You equipped the badge that prevent collision damage (Pure Love) right? If you do, I suggest you unequip it before the next boss (And also your poison badge as well).
I'd recommend ditching the Armored, HP, and Hex Cancel badges as well.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2016, 06:03:00 PM »
Kotri said she doesn't excel in any elements despite her fire form is definitely the strongest. I fought her 2nd to last just before the final final boss, got wrecked badly like you.
I'm guessing the Burn damage scales with your HP or something, then. Sorry to hear that. My first try at Red Kotri ended with a bit more HP.

The other shots you haven't got are Explode Shot and Carrot Shot. Explode kinda sucks and don't suit your playstyle. Carrot deals more damage the lower your HP is, even then, Ribbon's regular shot outclasses it. You get Carrot Shot just before the next boss.
Shame, I thought I Explode would be useful for stationary targets like X's plasma ball in X4.

You seem to be extremely reluctant to get close to the boss. After a barrage of danmaku, most bosses don't attack for a while, and that's your chance to quickly approach them, preferably with Bunny Strike (Slide + Y) since it dashes you forward really fast. Also, you seem to lost your original combo of YYYYY, up + Y, up+Y.
I...Don't even remember my thought process during those fights. @__@ I DO know you can get behind Kotri's six-laser barrage, at least, but in the heat of the moment (no pun intended), all strategy goes out the window in my mind and I just devolve into a flailing mess of jumping and button mashing. :V

Also how the Hell, Michigan do you dodge that six-shot homing laser attack? Kotri wouldn't stop spamming it >.<

After a while, I just don't bother fighting illusion bosses, you can just skip them with no repercussion.
A real lemming bunny does not run from his her fights! Besides, they're fun and they change up their attacks slightly the second time.

You equipped the badge that prevent collision damage (Pure Love) right? If you do, I suggest you unequip it before the next boss (And also your poison badge as well). And also, spend whatever money you have. Trust me on that.
I'd recommend ditching the Armored, HP, and Hex Cancel badges as well.
Noted. Thanks for the advice. Also, I go on a huge shopping trip at the end of Part 17, I'm as prepared as I can get barring any more item hunting.

Healing Staff's charged attacks goes through wall, it's better to quickly saps enemies' health if they're behind solid object and if they're in different height.
It's something I keep forgetting because laser is just too good.

There's 2 Teleport Stones you haven't touched right? That's mean there's 2 stages left?
It seems to be the case; I'm also missing a certain witch, so I'll probably tackle her once I complete this dimensional whatzit zone.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2016, 10:37:02 PM »
What do Link's Awakening, Castlevania 64 and Spelunky all have in common? They have shopkeepers that double as bosses/things that can kill you fast. Miriam joins them in the Hall of Pain as one of the most heavily armed shopkeepers of all time!

Your Everyday NEET

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2016, 02:35:49 AM »
Burn saps 3% of your health every tick.

Shame, I thought I Explode would be useful for stationary targets like X's plasma ball in X4.
It does, but like you, I never use anything beyond Ribbon's regular shot and Healing Staff. I think Explode Shot is in Sky High Bridge.

Also how the Hell, Michigan do you dodge that six-shot homing laser attack? Kotri wouldn't stop spamming it >.<
I don't know, I just got lucky with it or just use Bunny Amulet.

A real lemming bunny does not run from his her fights! Besides, they're fun and they change up their attacks slightly the second time.
It's just that their damage skyrocketed to 100-200 damage late in the stage. So I died there... about 6-10 times.

Miriam fights exclusively with hypercharged version of your currently owned items. So this means that in 0% run, she has barely any attacks to use while in normal playthrough, she becomes hell. The reason for our previous advice is that she uses Badge Copy. She can copy most general buffs badges have, but she can't copy badges that only strengthen Erina or Ribbon (EX: Piko Hammer +15%, SP boost, Hitbox reduction). Pure Love, when used by Erina it eliminates collision damage, when used by Miriam it translated to Bunny Lover (reduces damage by half). You don't want to make the battle become even longer do ya?

During her special attack/ hypercharged Bunny Amulet, just forget about attacking since she takes very little damage from you and focus more on dodging the illusion's attacks since they deals double damage and/or heal yourself with Healing Staff or try to pierce them both with Sun Beam. Miriam, remember when you said you could give Erina your items for free? Yeah, me neither.

Healing Staff is pretty useful when fighting a really long bosses. I spent the last 3rd of Boss Rush keeping my HP at 33%.

Heh, you're asking about a certain room in Spectral Cave when Ashuri gave you the answer shortly after that.

I expected 2 part video for Forgotten Cave II because very long stage is very long. Also, if you thought Miriam's battle is long, just wait what the next boss is going to bring on the table. Oh well, at least the boss music is pretty nice.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 02:37:51 AM by Your Everyday NEET »