Author Topic: USgamer Interview with ZUN  (Read 7316 times)

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
USgamer Interview with ZUN
« on: October 19, 2016, 01:20:15 AM »
USgamer (the American branch of Eurogamer) has published an interview with ZUN.
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/interview-zun-on-20-years-of-touhou

You may also want to check out their recent feature report, "The Story of Playism".
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/the-story-of-playism-part-1-indies-in-japan
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 02:24:12 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
Re: USgamer Interview: ZUN on 20 Years of Touhou Project
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 01:24:00 AM »
It's a decent interview.

I lol'd when I noticed the author seemed to have avoided using "Team Shanghai Alice" throughout the article, so when the name of ZUN's circle is brought up, he just wrote "ZUN Soft".
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 01:48:42 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Re: USgamer Interview with ZUN
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 07:14:00 AM »
The interviewer didn't really probe too deeply, huh. The coverage seems a little shallow and introductory.

Still an interesting read though. Thanks for the share!

I liked the part where ZUN brought up the reasons behind Touhou's longevity, when compared to more traditional shmups. The focus on the setting and storytelling, as opposed to strictly gameplay elements, helps foster a fandom I suppose.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 07:20:54 AM by akj »

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: USgamer Interview with ZUN
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 10:39:16 AM »
The interviewer didn't really probe too deeply, huh. The coverage seems a little shallow and introductory.

I think most interviews with him in English are going to be like this for a long time. It'll be a while before someone decides to dispense with the usual background info questions and get more in-depth. They also could have used better copy-editing with ZUN's answers. Even if he did begin nearly every answer with "So," it's clumsy to read. But now I'm just getting into stylistics.

I liked the part where ZUN brought up the reasons behind Touhou's longevity, when compared to more traditional shmups. The focus on the setting and storytelling, as opposed to strictly gameplay elements, helps foster a fandom I suppose.

Yeah that was the best part of the interview to my mind.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."