Author Topic: ZUN is expecting a second child! (Update: Born!)  (Read 35905 times)

Drake

ZUN is expecting a second child! (Update: Born!)
« on: September 28, 2016, 02:00:13 PM »
So, today's Nikenme Radio was more interesting than I expected. I went to go do something halfway through and came back to a chat full of congratulations. I tuned back in not even a minute after the reveal itself, but the gist is that ZUN and his wife are expecting a second child. Unfortunately I couldn't record the stream because livestreamer is bunk so I couldn't double-check, but judging by various tweets here and there congratulating him, I'm fairly confident this is the case, and we'll see more on this in the future.

Here's a copy of the chat at the relevant time:
http://pastebin.com/jNvJyHT3

Congratulations, jokes about "releasing a new work", and a question about whether ZUN wants many kids, to which ZUN replied "two or maybe three" (after which he started talking about reasons some families have many kids and why some don't).

Additional post on Touhou Memory

Also a funny tidbit, was this:
Quote from: https://twitter.com/tiroryu/status/781112858809540609
ZUN: [About Q&As] I'd sure like a question that really wakes me up... stop asking me stuff like "are you going to port the PC-98 games" already lol
you heard it here folks stop asking

As noted in the following tweet, this came from him saying that he prefers answering questions that are about what he's thinking, rather than what he's doing. So asking "are you gonna do this bla bla" is less engaging, whereas asking about his thoughts or opinions are more satisfying. I think most people acquainted with ZUN's interviews would agree that these kinds of questions tend to have better answers.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 02:56:16 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Re: ZUN is expecting a second son!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 02:22:59 PM »
Ha, hearing about this caught me completely off guard. Congratulations to them.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: ZUN is expecting a second child!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 02:34:36 PM »
Awesome! Good for them.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 04:15:14 PM »
Nice, all the more happiness wished to them.

Plubio

• 宇宙少年
    • Suzunaan
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 05:32:10 PM »
Ah, I really like this type of news.
Congratulations to both :)

Chill Observer

• Aimless fanatic
  • haHAA
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 06:00:00 PM »
Very nice, congratulations to ZUN and his family!
Retired Touhou player. Not involved with anything Touhou anymore.

ZM

• Overly Eager
  • Sanae~
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 06:17:13 PM »
Hmm, kinda worried about the fate of future games in the series. But if ZUN's happy, we're happy.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 06:28:13 PM »
<Thunderdome Joke>

This is pleasing news. Good for him =]

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 09:48:47 PM »
That's awesome news! So much love and happiness to them <3

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 10:29:41 PM »
A big congrats to the happy family.

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 04:43:23 AM »
ZUN is setting good example for Japanese youngsters. Don't be afraid to make a big family.

Drake

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 04:54:56 AM »
He's very much become a family man. Notable excerpts (taken from tara's tweets linked on Touhou Memory) were things like "siblings are a valued thing, so once you have one you tend to want another", "when you have a kid, every day at home is fun", "when your kid is born your whole perspective changes for the better", "people with plenty of money not having kids will ruin our country"

CenturyEgg

• Gentle older sister types are the best!
    • My world cosplay account
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 08:29:31 AM »
A second inheritor is born! But seriously though, congratulations to Zun

Tengukami

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 01:36:00 PM »
He's very much become a family man. Notable excerpts (taken from tara's tweets linked on Touhou Memory) were things like "siblings are a valued thing, so once you have one you tend to want another", "when you have a kid, every day at home is fun", "when your kid is born your whole perspective changes for the better", "people with plenty of money not having kids will ruin our country"

ZUN layin' down some hardcore truths here.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2016, 02:53:14 PM »
We really need more Japanese people with this mindset. Though I may have disagreements with some parts of their culture, I'm honestly very concerned about their population problem.

Drake

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2016, 03:00:56 AM »
It's two-fold (well, many-fold). First that the population issue obviously isn't helped when the people with enough money to sustain a family don't have children. It's also allocation of resources; having many children only in lower-income families creates a generation where most of the young population grows up disadvantaged, and positions of influence largely stay with wealthy old people.

DeityDiz93

• Arahitogami of Contribution
  • Geez, Touhou and real life are set to hard mode...
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2016, 11:21:08 AM »
I may not be able to speak Japanese just yet, but I'd certainly offer more direct congratulation if I could. Even if it isn't direct here, I still very much wish him the best regards in raising two kids; I'm certainly assured that he will be an wonderful example and source of inspiration to them both. ^^
I'm a decade-old Touhou Project fan. I heavily advocate for what's obscure and less popular in this series such as the PC-98 era, not-often-heard ZUN music, and the much of unpopular/unused characters.

NaCl

• Salty bitch
  • I'm very salty. Sometimes.
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2016, 12:51:00 PM »
Congrats to him! He and his wife must both be overjoyed.

I'm just wondering: how are ZUN's kids going to react when they realize their father is pretty much the all-father of doujinshi?  :D

Drake

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2016, 12:01:56 AM »
I'm pretty sure ZUN would not appreciate being called that lol

NaCl

• Salty bitch
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2016, 07:13:19 PM »
But... it's kind of true, right? In a sense.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2016, 02:00:24 AM »
Only if doujinshi didn't exist before him, but it did.

☆ Kana ☆

• Vanishing Dream
  • Lost Dream
    • lololololo tungle
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2016, 01:13:18 PM »
Whoa, another kid on the way~ Congrats to ZUN and his family~! ^w^
Dream a dream so grand...that it becomes a nightmare.

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2016, 07:05:56 AM »
Congrats to him! He and his wife must both be overjoyed.

I'm just wondering: how are ZUN's kids going to react when they realize their father is pretty much the all-father of doujinshi?  :D

I've said this before, but I think the most natural reaction is for them to think their father is nerdy and embarrassing.

Tengukami

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2016, 01:24:36 PM »
I've said this before, but I think the most natural reaction is for them to think their father is nerdy and embarrassing.

Ha! Yeah, I'd say that's a pretty safe bet. All fathers are a source of embarrassment for their children once they reach a certain age. Though I'm sure they'll grow to appreciate just how awesome he is, with time.

NaCl

• Salty bitch
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2016, 09:10:45 PM »
Ha! Yeah, I'd say that's a pretty safe bet. All fathers are a source of embarrassment for their children once they reach a certain age. Though I'm sure they'll grow to appreciate just how awesome he is, with time.
Just you all wait around 18 years for a picture of all three of them each with a big 'ol jug of beer in hand!

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2016, 03:51:08 PM »
A few other choice quotes from the same stream:

On the December release date of ULiL PS4:
Okonogi: "Could it be the day has finally come for Touhou to overlap with the Christmas business competition season."
ZUN: "There's no way [ULiL] can be a Christmas gift! It's got a high CERO rating. Can't be used as a Christmas gift for children."

ULiL received a fairly normal CERO rating of B (age 12 and above). I take it as ZUN momentarily putting up his "Touhou is for adults" attitude again.

- On PC-98 games:
ZUN: "I really wish people can stop asking questions like 'can you port the old games?'"

- On the future:
ZUN: "If it comes down to choosing between extinction of mankind and me running a bar, I will give up the bar to save mankind."

- On the foundational contributions of 鈴木龍道 Suzuki Ryūdō, former head executive of Reitaisai:
ZUN: "Thinking back, many things would be impossible without Ryūdō."

Suzuki Ryūdō was one of the founders of Reitaisai, later ousted when the other organizers realized his spinoff convention "Reitaisai SP", despite the name, was his private outfit for profit entirely controlled by his own firm. From then on, Reitaisai's top management would be replaced by a committee of three.

- There may be some new announcement in October.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 04:43:09 PM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Tengukami

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2016, 04:09:32 PM »
- On PC-98 games:
ZUN: "I'd like people to stop asking questions like 'can you port the old games?'"

Heh.

Drake

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2016, 03:01:39 AM »
I commented on that in my original post, but after moving to a new thread nobody read that post, so I moved my comment back to the OP here

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2016, 12:14:36 PM »
Wow, congratuation on ZUN! May there be peace and prosper for the Chief Priest's family

ZM

• Overly Eager
  • Sanae~
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2016, 02:49:54 PM »