Author Topic: Touhou Blogging Thread 2: The Journey Continues!  (Read 27042 times)

Re: Touhou Blogging Thread 2: The Journey Continues!
« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2017, 11:18:58 PM »
i got around  90 hours in UFO (with some very close lnb attempts) but i doubt i'd be able to get a LNN before 170. Maybe LNBNV......

Lol, you are comparing the easiest game to LNN with one of the hardest ones. It most likely will take more time.

Then again it also depends on what has everyone been doing in THAT time- I know I did a lot of Extra/Phantasm grinding and mess around with useless stuff that contributed absolutely nothing to an LNNN, I only recently started trying to actively get it.

I will also have to test how PCB gets it time stats- as in, whenever it actually counts the time on incompleted runs (When you ESC + R) or not. Because if it does NOT, then I should def. Have way more time than 170hs.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 11:21:17 PM by ILikeBulletZ »

DarkPermafrost

• Wandering Lone Wolf
« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2017, 11:23:30 PM »
I have 160 on MoF and I'm just getting towards starting to think that, maybe, getting a Lunatic 1cc isn't a completely unreasonable ambition..... :)

If you do intend on going for that, please just get a patch and practice VoWG until you're comfortable with it first. Trust me. It's crushing to lose multiple runs going in with multiple lives otherwise.

Grrr.
---
YouTube

HistoryoftheMoon

« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2017, 12:35:53 AM »
Here's my Touhou story, from around August to today:

I got interested in Touhou around August, when I was recommended the song Septette for the Dead Princess. Cue musical explosion. About a month later, I got Imperishable Night.

After much failure, I finally managed to 1CC Imperishable Night around late November, doing the Stage 4B and Stage 6A route. After this, I got Mountain of Faith, mistakenly (at the time) believing that it was the next easiest game. The same person who recommended Septette to me suggested Perfect Cherry Blossom instead, but I found this one just as hard.

The next couple of months, I skipped around, and eventually got SA and TD as well, spending a lot of time trying to master TD with no luck. A while later, I turned back to MoF, which I found much easier. After miraculously reaching the final stage on Normal with little practice, I decided to defeat the game. About a week later, I managed it.

This left me with a couple more months of skipping from game to game, and I eventually tried every game in the series from 6 to 15. I even managed to defeat LoLK on Easy in pointdevice, a feat I was particularly proud of. I tried my hand at TD again, but once again, no luck. I went into a small Touhou lull around March-April, but eventually decided to come back.

Once again, the Final Stage Phenomena hit me, this time on PCB. I mastered that game within a week, and got another 1CC under my belt. This was around 2 weeks ago. Someone online recommended I give LoLK Normal Pointdevice a whirl- which I proceeded to defeat within two days, on my first try. After that, just for fun, I cleared Stage 6B of IN on Normal with little to no practice, just for completion's sake.

With two spontaneous victories leaving me in shock, I was once again adrift in the sea of Touhou, wondering which game to attempt next. DDC finally appeared to me, two days ago, as the next easiest option, with Sakuya A being particularly useful. To my own surprise, with less than two days of practice, I defeated Shimyoumaru- albeit with no lives and a bomb left.

At this point, I've 1CC'd 5 out of the 9 standard windows Touhou shmups. (EoSD to LoLK, with PoFV being an exception as it's not a standard shmup.)

So... where should I head next now? I'm so used to it taking months to beat a game that the last two weeks bringing me 3 Normal 1CC's is still leaving me surprised. Here's what I think about the remaining games:

EoSD: Pretty simple with a focus on dodging and not gimmicks, being probably the most educational but still a difficult option
SA: I've practiced this game a surprising amount, and I still struggle to reach past Stage 4 on Normal. The main barrier in my way is picking a shot type- they're all so useful!
UFO: Hella hard, I'm pretty bad at managing multiple things at once, so a gimmick-intense game such as this, coupled with genuine difficulty, is probably the worst option for me right now
TD: I know this particularly well from getting it early on in my Touhou career, so this is the likeliest option, except...
HSiFS: Another option is for me to practice the demo to perfection, making clearing the whole game a lot easier once it comes out. I'm particularly interested in the fact that scoring = lives, so learning scoring techniques would be an asset to the practice. The release system is also really cool, being a nice blend of UFO and DDC's gimmicks.

Suggestions would be useful!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 02:57:29 PM by HistoryoftheMoon »

« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2017, 12:55:51 AM »
TD is probably the easiest option, comparable to the difficulty of IN (it's less generous with resources and deathbombs, but the patterns are even easier). EoSD is a good next step - I'd recommend practicing the spam segments in stages 4 and 5, and Sakuya has a few tricks that can be rather nasty if you're not prepared, but the game is fairly manageable overall.

The general consensus is that SA and UFO are much harder, though for some reason I actually didn't have much trouble with SA Normal. For a first clear, I'd strongly recommend Reimu/Yukari, or maybe Marisa/Alice if you like having lots of bombs available for a last-second panic button. UFO is the harder of the two, and will require some memorization and routing, as well as a decent amount of practice against Shou and Byakuren.

You might also want to try some of the PC-98 games. They're rather archaic, but they're also a lot of fun. LLS is the easiest of the bunch, but all except PoDD are fairly reasonable in terms of difficulty balance (and PoDD isn't exactly a standard Touhou game anyway).

HistoryoftheMoon

« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2017, 01:24:01 AM »
TD is probably the easiest option, comparable to the difficulty of IN (it's less generous with resources and deathbombs, but the patterns are even easier). EoSD is a good next step - I'd recommend practicing the spam segments in stages 4 and 5, and Sakuya has a few tricks that can be rather nasty if you're not prepared, but the game is fairly manageable overall.

The general consensus is that SA and UFO are much harder, though for some reason I actually didn't have much trouble with SA Normal. For a first clear, I'd strongly recommend Reimu/Yukari, or maybe Marisa/Alice if you like having lots of bombs available for a last-second panic button. UFO is the harder of the two, and will require some memorization and routing, as well as a decent amount of practice against Shou and Byakuren.

You might also want to try some of the PC-98 games. They're rather archaic, but they're also a lot of fun. LLS is the easiest of the bunch, but all except PoDD are fairly reasonable in terms of difficulty balance (and PoDD isn't exactly a standard Touhou game anyway).

Thanks. If I were to try getting a PC-98 game, would I need some kind of emulator? I don't exactly have a PC-98 sitting around.

Chill Observer

• Aimless fanatic
  • haHAA
« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2017, 02:12:13 AM »
Thanks. If I were to try getting a PC-98 game, would I need some kind of emulator? I don't exactly have a PC-98 sitting around.
You'll have to, yes. Every single PC-98 player uses an emulator. Ask Zig or Kirby about what they use.
Retired Touhou player. Not involved with anything Touhou anymore.

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2017, 07:41:35 PM »
Spent 30 minutes messing with the LoLK stages patch for TH16.

The season system is so hilariously broken when LoLK-levels of bullets are on the screen.

Some notes from me:
  • Unless the bullets come from a single point on the boss, Autumn isn't as broken.
  • Spring has become the best season to use. Clearing an entire screen of bullets on Lunatic is able to get you back up to level 6.
  • Ringo's 2nd card is great for farming PiV. Just release when the dango rings appear, and you'll get tons of PiV and be back to level 6.
  • The max PiV is 500 000 points per item.
  • The hard limit to the PiV might make it hard to get higher and higher scores/lives, unless ZUN uncaps it for the full version.

tl;dr it's hax
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 07:44:50 PM by Failure McFailFace »
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

RB

« Reply #97 on: May 18, 2017, 12:33:51 AM »
After downloading RSS and taking refuge in fangames for a while (getting an LNB on RSS and SSS in the meantime) I decided to come back to LoLK LNN attempts. I put in practice and here's what I got:

- 14/25 Lunatic September (ringo final)
- NMNB Doremy pacifist with all nons timed out after resetting like 5 times to opener; it gave me pretty good RNG here
- NMNB Stage 5 on my first try
- 3MNB Stage 6 (2 to 2nd non and 1 to the end of PDH) on my first try

Once I practice PDH more to get the hang of it again (because i'm starting to get used to fangame hitboxes cough cough) I think that's enough derusting before I do runs...

(my LoLK playtime is around 205 hours by the way, I think it'll probably hit 250-300 or something before I get it)

« Reply #98 on: May 18, 2017, 04:09:58 AM »
I've been playing EoSD Lunatic on and off for the past two years now, and haven't gotten a 1CC yet.
The other day I stumbled across a Youtube video of a first-time EoSD Lunatic 1CC, and realized I was much closer to a 1CC than I expected.

Today I had a really good (and lucky) run, and died to Scarlet Gensokyo. Really the only thing I need to do is not accidentally die at silly places.
Gotta love the adrenaline and nerve-racking of Touhou.

I wish EoSD had a gameplay timer like the later games. But given that I've attempted Night Bird 143 times and Silent Selene 45 times, I'd wager I've put in roughly 60 hours, which is...actually much less than I expected. Huh.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 04:22:49 AM by shockdude »
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

« Reply #99 on: May 19, 2017, 12:47:40 AM »
Well this LNNN stuff is getting depressing. I think I will take a short break from it and do some more relaxing goal(s) I had in mind earlier, such as IN Solo Alice Lunatic 1cc or the EoSD Extra NMNBNF I was attempting to do previous to this repetitive hell. I am SO freaking tired of Stage 1 I cant see it anymore.

It feels more repetitive than in the earlier years when I tolerated IWBTG and Hotline Miami 2 (Both quite HEAVY restart intensive games), but this is just stupid because of the retarded Stage 1 thats boring af and it just pissed me off.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 12:50:37 AM by ILikeBulletZ »

« Reply #100 on: May 19, 2017, 05:05:10 AM »

HSiFS scoring is even sillier on LoLK's patterns, go figure

I wouldn't be surprised if Aya/Autumn got something like 3b, you can get around 350K PIV from stage 1 without spending a single piece of resources

Things I've done (and maybe will improve):
SA L6MNB | SA Lunatic 3b Scorerun | MoF LNB | PCB LNB |DDC LNB

Emerald Mint

• Gemstone
« Reply #101 on: May 19, 2017, 06:43:54 AM »
Here's a cheat table for adjusting PIV cap and starting PIV.
I wouldn't be surprised if the full game reaches the 10bn score limit.

Zigzagwolf

• Kuruminist Touhou Player
« Reply #102 on: May 19, 2017, 08:32:04 PM »
Alright, so I think I've only once posted something here before? But yesterday I made an userpage on the Touhouwiki for myself and my achievements: Wiki userpage

So that is the first thing I wanted to post about, I've wanted to make an userpage for a longer time but never got to it; now I decided to actually do so. It is quite nice I have most of my survival/score achievements more professionally documented nowadays, I also use another google spreadsheet page for my current achievement page: Google spreadsheet achievement page

Now a few other things, since the DRC is set to start tomorrow; I've selected Phantasmagoria of Dim. Dream lunatic scoring as my category, I am hoping to reach 90 million during this competition. I don't have much experience prior to scoring in the lunatic category but have practiced a bit and gotten 75 million (the goal I set and wanted to reach before the DRC would start), so hopefully I'll be capable of pushing this up to 90 million during those two weeks.

I think I may end up doing more posts here, I kind of should.
Raid Kappatalism for great Kurumi!

Youtube channel My Youtube channel, I hope you enjoy my Touhou runs.

« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2017, 11:55:05 PM »
Today, I got a run to cap the spam section. I think its the first time I got a run to actually cap that section (At least since I started with the whole LNNN thing)...

Unfortunately it was already a complete crap 7 Miss run or something that was pretty much for practice at that point... So it was pretty freaking useless.