Author Topic: Touhou Blogging Thread 2: The Journey Continues!  (Read 26999 times)

Nim

Re: Touhou Blogging Thread 2: The Journey Continues!
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2017, 02:29:49 PM »
1cc'd four games on normal by now.
Attempting to beat an extra boss for my very first time. Never made it to a survival spellcard yet though.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2017, 08:31:20 PM »
So something else I've started picking up alongside my recent DDC practice has been attempts at a full perfect 1cc of MoF. My first Lunatic no-bombs 1cc of the game years ago ended up perfecting every stage but Stage 4 (5 deaths), something that greatly surprised me at the time because I was coming off a month-plus hiatus (computer issues, so I didn't even have a choice) and I was still super rusty. The fact I did so well regardless of that has certainly made a LNN more feasible to shoot for in my eyes, and given the recent groove I've gotten into, I figured I could get started on it here. Two days ago I got my first no-bombs 1cc since that first one years ago, also 5 deaths but most of them to the usual suspects rather than all in one stage. And today I set a new personal best, a 4MNB 1cc with deaths on Momiji, PWG, Yamato Torus, and Source of Rains. Kinda wish I could take back those last two deaths, but Kanako has been proving surprisingly hard to get re-used to, so that's gonna take some more work. At least I'm mostly back to my old skills on VoWG. Obviously a run like this is gonna take some luck to put everything together when you have attacks like Momiji's nonspell and PWG, but this still oughta be an interesting challenge.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Chill Observer

• Aimless fanatic
  • haHAA
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2017, 06:07:23 PM »
I beat MPP Lunatic the other day, but my replay desynced... on the final spell. Quite a shame, really.

So naturally I did it again. It was irritating, but it's nice to see that I don't suck as much at the game as I did when I first started out and had to make sense of everything.

MPP Lunatic 1cc (recorded live)
Nice. I did the same thing too but it was a replay recording. Not sure why your first replay desynced, my first extra clear which was my second ever replay saved also desynced.

I'm honestly quite glad this game has this sort of system, because it gives an incentive for me to learn the bosses and route the stages in order to do well at it. I don't think any other game benefits you this much from capturing spells. I wish to see a future Touhou give an incentive to capture spells and such.
Retired Touhou player. Not involved with anything Touhou anymore.

« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2017, 03:31:44 AM »
How the heck do you go on about seriously planning to do an LNNN guys.

This is getting stupid. SO MANY RESTARTS. THERES ZERO ERROR TOLERANCE AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I don't know what to do. Should I start to try to dedicate ALL my time purely and exclusively on trying to get PCB LNNN or should I just take it easy and mix it up with some other goal to not burn out and just casually use some credits every now and then?

The best/worst thing is that I actually feel like I can do this. I just need the one run that has good luck/good play on all hard sections. And there arent many, but playing perfectly for 25 minutes is not easy.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 03:34:35 AM by ILikeBulletZ »

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2017, 04:30:47 AM »
Expanding this beyond PCB to just general LNNs, the main reason I would ever consider a challenge like an LNN is because I'm familiar enough with a game and generally find it fun enough that grinding through the inevitable one or two "really hard attacks" doesn't feel like a chore. Keeping anything that could become a mental block (like restarts or repeated near-misses in this case) in check is important to reduce the amount of stress I might put on myself - basically it's a matter of making sure my mindset is in the right place in the first place. I don't know much about your history with PCB, so I defer to you on how well you think you know the game, and I assume you like it enough to go for a LNNN. But if all the restarts are becoming grating, I'd definitely try something to mix it up a little, like a different goal (perhaps briefly, so you don't get too absorbed into that instead), or even just not restarting a failed run so you can get more comfortable playing through the whole game. Variety is the spice of life, as they say. But yeah, these challenges are hard for a reason, and they usually take a while to get "the one run", but that doesn't have to be a bad thing if you approach it well.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Jimmy

• Shameless spender
  • gaining big pounds
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2017, 02:55:32 PM »
Already managed to Normal 1cc UFO with three playables...
[attach=1]

...but still struggling with SA Normal regardless of shottypes.
Normal 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC, LoLK Legacy, HSiFS, WBaWC
Hard 1cc: IN, DDC, HSiFS
Extra clears: MoF, DDC, HSiFS, WBaWC

Goals: Going Extra Hard!

« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2017, 03:56:07 AM »
Expanding this beyond PCB to just general LNNs, the main reason I would ever consider a challenge like an LNN is because I'm familiar enough with a game and generally find it fun enough that grinding through the inevitable one or two "really hard attacks" doesn't feel like a chore. Keeping anything that could become a mental block (like restarts or repeated near-misses in this case) in check is important to reduce the amount of stress I might put on myself - basically it's a matter of making sure my mindset is in the right place in the first place. I don't know much about your history with PCB, so I defer to you on how well you think you know the game, and I assume you like it enough to go for a LNNN. But if all the restarts are becoming grating, I'd definitely try something to mix it up a little, like a different goal (perhaps briefly, so you don't get too absorbed into that instead), or even just not restarting a failed run so you can get more comfortable playing through the whole game. Variety is the spice of life, as they say. But yeah, these challenges are hard for a reason, and they usually take a while to get "the one run", but that doesn't have to be a bad thing if you approach it well.

OK, thanks. I do definitively love PCB enough for this, its my favorite Touhou game after all. I generally don't mind grinding too much so that's fine, I think I will be alright. If it gets too annoying I will try to do the NMNBNF EoSD Extra run I had in mind or something else.

Because of this, I started to try to seriously go for an LNNN, and this will be my main goal for the following weeks at least.

So far, I have this to report from all of the grinding done so far:

PCB NBNBB6M 

Yes, this is a new personal best!
Its a 6 Miss, as opposed to my previous 8 Miss... its not that much of an improvement, but its a start.

Literally all of the deaths except one were pathetic though, lmao.

Someone who pretends to LNNN cant die to stuff like:

Alice?s White Russian Dolls (Never die to this wth)
Prismriver?s Concerto Grosso (Its not that hard)
Yuyuko?s Village (The heck? This is very easy how could I die to this!), second non (What), Sumizome (For some reason Yuyuko moved in the opposite direction she always moves to even though my movements were the same... she NEVER did this before).

Oh well. Some positives, first time I manage to perfect Stage 5 on an actual run (I did it tons of times before on Practice, but somehow doing it on an actual run gives me more confidence), and RB cap was a nice surprise- too bad it was wasted on an otherwise kinda meh run.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 04:04:19 AM by ILikeBulletZ »

« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2017, 06:34:54 AM »
I did my first attempt to LNB LoLK in a long while a few days ago.
It didn't happen, I was on my last life at Junko and I accidentally bombed on her third spell, and ended the fight on no conditions (I didn't really care for that, though. It was a deathbomb, it would have been game over anyway). Now, on one hand it shouldn't bother me that much, my early game was ass; but on the other, stages 4 and 5 were really good, then I really fucked up on Junko. I entered with two lives, enough to cover my PB on her (accounting for mid-fight extends), but I just die instantly to her first two attacks. Great going.
I'll have to polish my early game, and get more comfortable with Sagume's fight as Reimu to time stuff down for graze, as my single miss on her was offset by getting only two pieces in the entire fight.

And I gave up on XNB for now. I already got Hecatia's fight NB on Martin's boss rush patch, and honestly that's enough for me, the stage is kind of boring to grind it and then lose to those dumb nons
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 06:36:25 AM by Mero »

Things I've done (and maybe will improve):
SA L6MNB | SA Lunatic 3b Scorerun | MoF LNB | PCB LNB |DDC LNB

« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2017, 12:57:15 AM »
So I finally, FINALLY got a new computer today. I haven't been able to play any games, Touhou included, for months and holy crap it feels so good to get back into it again.

That's also why I kind of stopped coming to MotK, everyone always posting about Touhou (of course they were, it's a Touhou board!) just made me feel worse about not being able to play.

But I'M BACK AGAIN. Oh, and I broke in the new computer by checking if I'd gotten rusty. Took me like three tries but I made it to Boundary of Humans and Youkai in PCB Phantasm.

...at 75 fps.

...no vertical. :]

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2017, 04:57:49 PM »
Been reading up on PoFV on the wiki, and found these lines:
6. Number affecting lvl 2 and 3 spells
7. Number affecting lvl 4 spells

I see these in game, but there's no explanation anywhere about how they work.

Similarly, the gameplay pages for StB and DS have pretty vague information about how the base scores are calculated, using "presumably" on both pages. There's no technical information or anything, just that big = more score, but small = more bullets = more score.

Makes me wonder whether or not if anyone has decompiled StB and DS to find how the picture scores work.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2017, 04:02:30 PM »
Is there anyone among the English-speaking players who knows StB/DS well enough to document those? Hard to tell if anyone plays them beyond clearing scenes, with no scene-based scoreboard, and rarely accomplishment thread posts about them.

Actually, that's a good question. Would there be any interest in StB/DS/ISC scoreboards? The problem with those is the sheer number of replays would make it tedious to update, but it could be worth a try...?

« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2017, 09:10:40 AM »
Is there anyone among the English-speaking players who knows StB/DS well enough to document those? Hard to tell if anyone plays them beyond clearing scenes, with no scene-based scoreboard, and rarely accomplishment thread posts about them.
I don't know if you've heard of him but chum is an english-speaking player right? Last I checked he dominates the DS royalflare scoreboard and has very good scores in STB aswell. I don't think it's right to say no one plays scenegames for score in the west.

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2017, 11:36:58 AM »
Yes, he's known for sure, though I thought mainly for GFW. And for elitism. Didn't he disrupt a replay showcase stream not too long ago?

Doesn't seem to be the sort of person who'd document scoring mechanics (if he was willing to, it probably would've already been done by now), but feel free to ask. I wouldn't bother, though.

« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2017, 02:32:51 PM »
Elitism doesn't make your knowledge invalid, also from what I remember chum is unrelated to the replay showcase.

If he's unwilling I think that's because deep documentation of STB and especially DS is impossible, the mechanics are very deep and vary somewhat depending on character. Making notes that are understood by other people for every scene is just too difficult and time-consuming. chum does give advice if you ask about a specific scene atleast (speaking from personal experience here), if you want a more general grasp of scoring mechanics isn't the wiki good enough?

Even if someone did all of this documentation I doubt that would generate any interest for the games, if there's no interest in it by now there won't be a sudden surge of new players just because someone posted notes about it.

Now that I think about it aren't all the other games just as dry in scoring information? Your best bet would be the wiki but it's riddled with inaccuracies (for the ones I've looked at) and doesn't actually tell you how to do anything in their respective games.

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2017, 05:04:16 PM »
Wait, are you referring to the "Gameplay" pages or the "Strategy" pages? Since I wouldn't expect a scene-by-scene breakdown on something that'd document how point calculation works-- or are you saying that every single scene uses a different calculation formula? The strategy pages are well known to be so inaccurate they aren't useful; they'd likely need to be entirely restructured. The gameplay pages, however, tend to document the mechanics of the main series pretty well in my experience. They didn't always, though; there was a time when they were filled with copy-pasting from the wrong game articles. StB/DS probably never went through that kind of update due to a lack of players.

Also, first you seemed to imply chum could document the mechanics if he cared to. Now you're claiming no one can?

« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2017, 05:59:31 PM »
It was pretty rude of you to so bluntly dismiss me in your initial post, as you should be well aware of my existence, as the photo games are some of the rare Touhou games to have a "western" player at the top and in addition, I can't remember ever offending you so. In fact, the one conversation I recall ever having with you seemed pleasant enough. The only two points I'll accept are that I'm more known for GFW, which is likely true, and that I'm an elitist, which is depending on your definition possibly true. I've long since come to accept that I'm more geared towards elitism than the average player. However, you should think a bit about the implications behind these points. If you're saying that I'm an elitist and that means I'll never contribute or help anyone else, and that's why they shouldn't bother to ask, then that is wrong. It's pretty clear you haven't been around the same places I've been around because I'm very open about everything I know about the games I play, and I've actively helped... I would go so far as to say I've coached a few players. I've done numerous photo game streams and I openly answer questions and explain mechanics, tricks, subtleties, techniques and anything. To assume that someone who believes in elitism (which to me is the basis of the STG genre given that a higher score generally means a higher quality performance) is automatically out of the question since they would never help anyone or contribute is utterly ridiculous, and that's what I've been getting out of your first two posts. This seems like some kind of guilt by association thing, or possibly because I've long since disliked MoTK. You do realize that a Mod bluntly dismissing myself who has done a lot for the community isn't exactly going to make myself like MoTK any more than I do currently? I can assure you that I really dislike this place and how it's been run, always have, but that's my business and I'm not letting that get to my head when I evaluate others.

Now, as for the reality of my relationship with the photo games, I've put about twice as much time into them as GFW (About even efforts with all 3 games). So being more known for GFW is actually not something I've wanted, since I've worked hard on all 3 games, and nowadays I'm just focusing on Double Spoiler. As for the Touhou Wiki page, expecting any of the game pages to be very helpful on more than a cursory level is simply wrong to begin with, not just in the photo games. I'll give you that I'm not going to just create a Wiki page, because I've long since viewed the Touhou Wiki game pages to not even attempt to do some kind of decompile TAS tools thing to begin with, and I know I'm not the best person for extracting DATA, I don't have any tools to do this. Otherwise I'd have already looked into for example the base value of each kind of bullet, not just for others sakes, but for my own as well and try to find some exact data about how speed affects this value. Because I don't know, and I don't have the tools to find out, I can't help. However, you couldn't know what I'm able to do and not do, you just assumed that I'm not even going to bother even if I was able to with your strange reasoning, glossing over my existence no doubt out of a personal dislike of myself.

Touhou Replay Showcase is always disrupted by various things, every single stream. I may have uttered the occasional meme at some point or said something flippant, but what are you holding against me here for exactly...? Do you even know what's happened or what I've done? Is this just something you heard somewhere? If you ask me, the commentators themselves are disruptive and even incredibly hostile sometimes. There was one time where a few people got themsleves banned from TRS, but I wasn't and you'd have to be actively looking to be offended if you'd say I disrupted the stream that time. I've submitted quite a few photo game replays and with rough explanations of the scene. Noone's told me I'm doing anything wrong other than an exploding ZigZagWolf who has been by far the worst presence on TRS (I'm assuming he had a bad day that time) Absolutely tearing apart anyone who he deemed to have contributed to a small mess of the stream that day, including myself for unknown reasons. Compared to him or Sakurei, I'd say whatever remarks I may have made are very light and hardly disruptive. If I was really a problem then it doesn't seem like anyone really thinks so, for so far I've refrained from starting arguments in the stream chat, like about how more people should try to score for instance (more than 90% of runs submitted are survival runs)

Leaving that be, though, for I have faith you understand now that your initial thoughts and assumptions were somewhat illogical and that it is actually reasonable to get pure game related information out of me when asked, as for how the games works on a cursory level, are you sure the wiki doesn't explain that already, because that shouldn't be that hard to fix, particularly not with Shoot the Bullet which is more simplistic. It all depends on what kind of information someone is really after, I don't think anyone who wants to play for score is going to get a lot of help out of the wikipedia, regardless, but I'm certainly for any and all improvements in that area, it's nice to put your favorite games on the map. I've just assumed the Wikipedia usage to have declined in general and that scoreplayers have no need of it.

If you actually want exact and thorough data then you need a TASer because I'm not really able to provide enough meaningful information about STB or DS.

« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2017, 06:15:28 PM »
Karisa: My point was that there are infact photogame players in the west, but it ended up looking like I was contradicting myself with another point entirely.

Chill Observer

• Aimless fanatic
  • haHAA
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2017, 06:23:51 PM »
I can vouch for Touhouwiki not exactly having the best gameplay strategy pages. In fact, the strategy pages almost never match up with what high scoring routes actually do.

I can also vouch for photogame strats. He has backlogs of many scenes and is willing to explain the utilized strategies in detail. I'm sure the same holds true with plenty of other high scorers.

What we can agree on, though, is no one scores ISC seriously now. :V

Zigzagwolf

• Kuruminist Touhou Player
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2017, 09:16:09 PM »

Touhou Replay Showcase is always disrupted by various things, every single stream. I may have uttered the occasional meme at some point or said something flippant, but what are you holding against me here for exactly...? Do you even know what's happened or what I've done? Is this just something you heard somewhere? If you ask me, the commentators themselves are disruptive and even incredibly hostile sometimes. There was one time where a few people got themsleves banned from TRS, but I wasn't and you'd have to be actively looking to be offended if you'd say I disrupted the stream that time. I've submitted quite a few photo game replays and with rough explanations of the scene. Noone's told me I'm doing anything wrong other than an exploding ZigZagWolf who has been by far the worst presence on TRS (I'm assuming he had a bad day that time) Absolutely tearing apart anyone who he deemed to have contributed to a small mess of the stream that day, including myself for unknown reasons. Compared to him or Sakurei, I'd say whatever remarks I may have made are very light and hardly disruptive. If I was really a problem then it doesn't seem like anyone really thinks so, for so far I've refrained from starting arguments in the stream chat, like about how more people should try to score for instance (more than 90% of runs submitted are survival runs)

No, you and others utterly misbehaved, the rest of the TRS crew didn't even want to join the call anymore; in CopperMarten's Discord chat people were complaining about how vile some of you were behaving, that I've called out people who did this is not something you should then complain over later on; I had even asked politely before but apparently you cannot realise that if you create a bad atmosphere; are utterly misbehaving you will be called out for that; yes, that can happen; it should. I've indeed gotten quite mad, but mainly because you weren't even able to acknowledge that the sheer toxicity of this particular TRS episode was caused by the way some of you acted, literally mocking people's runs; continuing this behaviour even when asked to stop.  That you then go on to portray it as a "small mess" shows that you didn't understand the way it came over to quite a lot of people, if you always behave in this manner you may get the impression that is "normal" and something you can just do each; every time, but that is not the case. That you went on, when I had calmly asked before to stop it, to do that honestly crossed the line; if you want to know, it was not me who got the people who misbehaved banned, first and foremostly that is to be thanked upon yourself; others who contributed to that misbehaviour; secondly, it was something discussed and some people in the particular Discord server I had mentioned were for it. I was not the person to compile the list nor to even add any name on it, Martin decided to do that himself; to be quite frank with you, the TRS staff stands behind this decission entirely; that does include me. We want to create an atmosphere in which people can enjoy chatting and also enjoy to actually commentate.

I do acknowledge that I've gotten a bit too mad and that my frustration drove my reaction, lately I'm indeed full of that frustration; I know that's not a justification for the way I've personally behaved and I do apologise for that. What I want to say though, is that I'd really have wanted things didn't go this way and that we could just've had a fun and friendly atmosphere during the stream; it did honestly become a bit too much for me, to at a constant pace see the people providing this event which is supposed to be a cheerful stream in which anyone, whatever their skill-level may be, can contribute and have their run to be seen, be complaining in Discord over the way this happened. I know that Maribel for one was so mad and frustrated at one point he left and couldn't even stay calm anymore; if you constantly hear that people just dislike the sheer toxicity in what they personally invest their time into, to make sure the place stays nice; people enjoy what happens there, that honestly shouldn't have been the case in the first place. Such chats over occurrences were quite normal on Discord; while it is not much of a justification for how angry and frustrated I personally got, I hope you can understand that sometimes things get to people over time; that they then can sometimes respond a little bit irrational, so with that said, I disagree with you but I do apologise for me reacting in a rather unprofessional manner, that was undeserved and I can understand that.

this was in response to "Friend", apparently I can't quote well.
Raid Kappatalism for great Kurumi!

Youtube channel My Youtube channel, I hope you enjoy my Touhou runs.

Chill Observer

• Aimless fanatic
  • haHAA
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2017, 10:54:33 PM »
Alright, I will come to light about everything that has happened during that particular day of TRS.

First of all, I must emphasize that the incident wasn't just due to the events of that day. It was a build-up over several streams. The bannings and the subsequent post that followed was a group decision and also the final straw to these successive events. This decision was a last resort - I preferred to stay away from having to do so. When this was enough to make several stream commentators leave the stream, I knew this problem had to be dealt with promptly.

Copper's server did not have any part in deciding who should be banned and who shouldn't be. The only people who are involved in making these decisions are me, ZM, Maribel, Yats and Obama. No more, no less. Zig was not involved in any way, shape or form in coming up with the potential banlist. Pearl was also not involved in any way either. Bans are also decided as a group, not from any individual. I explicitly told everyone that shadow banning will NOT be tolerated.

The following people are banned: Sakurei and dxk.
The following people have been banned, but undone: Nameschonvergeben.
The following people have been considered for a ban, but were ultimately denied: Chum, Satis, Morth, Star King, Grayst, MegaPulse.

Sakurei was banned mainly because of his particular attitude towards certain individuals' runs (although after discussion it was found that it wasn't as toxic as I thought). I talked about reversing the ban but he said not to do so, and thus I left it as is. Dxk was banned due to coming into the stream only to shitpost, i.e. "sanny is a sloot xdddddddddd". NC was initially banned due to associating him with people who only came onto TRS to troll, but later decided that he didn't really do anything to that extent, and same with the rest of the people on that list more or less. To be honest, a lot of negative rationality was flying about on that particular day and I felt that both sides did things wrongly and I do sincerely apologize for that. I hope that something like this will not happen ever again.

I must also emphasize that elitism was never the intent of my stream. I am very open to players of all kinds of skill level regardless of the game you play or whether you score or survive. Don't let a bunch of ignorant people give you images about what my stream environment is like, especially considering most of the jabs are banter-like in nature, particularly towards Lollipop and Dass.

I hope this clears up all misconceptions about everything moderation-related to TRS. I wish to improve the way I do things and I feel that being fully transparent with my decisions is the way to go from here.

Thank you for your support.

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2017, 12:27:37 AM »
Woah that went from 0 to 100 very quick. Could you guys give some context on this? I'm not familiar about the existence of TRS.

Among other things, I've gotten too used to SA ReimuB's item collection perk to the point where I can't do ReimuA reliably.
and that sa is ridiculously difficult i guess that counts too
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2017, 02:34:29 AM »
(Has no idea what actually happened on above with TRS either)

Anyway...

Progress!

(No Border Breaks)

Yep, that's a run that was NBNBB3M, beating my previous best of NBNBB6M!!!

This was QUITE unreal to me- the farthest I have gotten playing perfectly  before (Read: Before the first death/border break)
 was up to Alice's Chalk-White Russian Dolls (I know, stupid place to die on).

In this run, I somehow managed to NMNBNBB up till freaking Youmu?s Asura Sword!!!!

I couldn't believe I actually got up to most of Stage 5 without making a single mistake! Hell, I still cant believe it tbh. I also perfected Stage 4 in the process- something I never actually did before O_o

Anyways, deaths were on:

The already mentioned Asura Sword (The nerves of merely getting to that point NMNBNBB got me and I died stupidly. Very avoidable death)
Components of Konpaku (I don't even know what happened here. This spellcard likes to kill me for literally no reason at all sometimes).
Resurrection Butterfly (Again, very stupid death. I actually managed to dodge most of it flawlessly).

That's all! Literally just those 3 spots. Everything else was done perfectly...
Oh, well, actually, I power canceled the Stage 6 spam, however, it was at the last second or so and I was dodging it well, I could have potentially captured it anyway- but if you want to be cynical, I could have died there, and the run would have been a 4 miss, which is still not bad at all.

Soo... everything seems to be done here. Its gotten to a point where I don't even think stage practice is needed anymore- I already practiced enough.

All I have to do is to keep trying, until all pieces fall into their place, and I finally get THE RUN.

Chill Observer

• Aimless fanatic
  • haHAA
« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2017, 05:15:24 AM »
I picked up RSS again in an attempt to get an Overdrive 1cc. Game overed on Yato (extra stage boss).

I deathbomb too often and that causes me to lose lives. Deathbombs in Overdrive consume all of your bomb stock. At least enemies drop enough items to give lots of lives. The boss attacks are quite difficult though...

Chill Observer

• Aimless fanatic
  • haHAA
« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2017, 08:37:03 AM »
Now that I've cleared RSS Overdrive, I went back to Hard/Lunatic and decided to explore the stages and how to route them. Honestly, from the looks of it, RSS is probably one of the more doable fangames at a LNB or even LNN perspective.  Everything in the game can be routed to an extent,  particularly all stage portions, and there are only a couple of things that can be real LNN killers. From Vierne's no miss without hyper use, he stated that he only needed four bombs to get through the game, and two of them go to Momohime's first spell (understandable, it is the hardest spell in the game). This implies there's only up to three spots in the game that can really kill LNN's.

From just the boss attacks, these seem to be the only threatening ones. I listed other attacks that also tend to get me quite a bit.
  • Himemiko first non.
  • Himemiko survival.
  • Tarumi third non.
  • Tarumi second spell.
  • Tarumi final spell.
  • Momohime first spell.
  • Momohime fourth non.
  • Final card.
From a LNB standpoint, that's only 9 potentially dangerous attacks in the game, probably even less if you decide to do Hard instead. The game itself also lets you have up to 9 lives if you don't hyper (passive item-collection and capturing boss attacks), so it's adequate for a no bomb run. I imagine with some practice, you can build consistency on all the difficult parts of the game and route the entire rest of it. Plus, hitboxes in this game tend to be generous for the most part, asides from a few bullets; the ones in the stage 4 midboss spellcard are particularly nasty for instance. I feel like the reason why everyone thinks the game's too easy is because they only spam hypers and don't bother actually learning the game. Of course, this is all easier said than done, building consistency is difficult.

Honestly, if I were to pick a fangame to LNB, it would be this one. MPP also looks like a fangame that is similarly doable for LNB, but there are quite a few more RNG spots in the game that are prone to taking lives. It's probably a similar difficulty. Makes me wonder why most other fangames don't even have known LNB's yet, let alone LNN. SSS seems to be the only fangame that has a LNN, which is pretty disappointing to be honest.

It also makes me wonder if I'm really making the right choice, because none of the ZUN games interest me LNB and beyond wise, as of now... Fangames seem more interesting right now because far less people have actually done it.

« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2017, 06:09:33 PM »
Unpopular Opinion:

Youmu's first spellcard is not that bad. Its not even her hardest spellcard, that goes to Asura's sword. Components can also be a major danger at times. I am honestly more scared of those 2 than her first.

Also for some reason when playing, I feel so much safer and comfy while the border is on... Even though I am going for a LNNN and it literally does not matter whenever I get hit with the border or not, I will still have to ESC + R anyway. This also happened back when I was doing NBNBB...I wonder why that happens?

« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2017, 03:20:05 AM »
...And I know I said I pretty much did not need to practice anymore, but I went ahead and did some more practice today anyway because I did not felt like doing the whole "infinite downhill spyral of Stages 1-3" at the moment.

Found a couple of improvements:

*Found 2 sweetspots on Alice?s first spell;  I do slightly more DPS on both spots and I pretty much memorized all 3 (?) possible patterns with me starting on either spot. It ends it a bit faster and its slightly safer/consistent.

*Found a way to kill Concerto Grosso faster than before, I noted the exact time the boss armor runs out (53 secs), and changed route according to that. I kill it like 3-4 seconds faster as a result (Every second counts).

*Noticed that the "Safe area" on Asura Sword is actually a fair amount bigger than I though it was, now its way easier for me to dodge the bullets at the bottom- since now I use all the area that is safe as opposed to literally hugging the very bottom (You have more space than that). WAY safer and more consistent, almost never die to it now.

*I do Human God Sword in a mostly streaming way now, as opposed to just following Youmu very aggressively all the time. This is safer and it actually kills the spell almost as fast anyway.

*Found a more consistent Deadly Dance & Flowery Soul routes.

*I am getting noticeably more consistent at Resurrection Butterfly. Now I actually cap it about 6-7 times out of 10 by playing more aggressively and going towards the red waves (I still don't QUITE do the top strat, though, I don't think I will ever do that). Current Caprate is 40/99, I think thats good enough.

Bonus: Set SpoilerAL Frame Warp to 700 at Stage 6 for insant Spam practice.

So basically that's a more solid endgame... but I will have to actually reach Stage 4 to apply most of this though LMAO.

...I love how I have 170+ hours of gameplay time on PCB and I STILL cant LNNN it.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 03:27:45 AM by ILikeBulletZ »

RB

« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2017, 11:41:48 AM »
...I love how I have 170+ hours of gameplay time on PCB and I STILL cant LNNN it.
170 hours isnt average for any lnnn at all, even pcb, it should be much higher

« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2017, 11:54:39 AM »
I have 160 on MoF and I'm just getting towards starting to think that, maybe, getting a Lunatic 1cc isn't a completely unreasonable ambition..... :)

Oh, right, I should blog. At the moment I have a few separate things I'm going for, but since I've come pretty close to clearing PCB Phantasm, I feel a compulsion to keep at that until I get it. And it's really brutal, much worse than Extra. Ran's spells are no problem, but her nonspell is horrible (which is maddening, considering that Chen's was really easy). The second half of the stage is just an endless series of death traps. The first time I got a run as far as the eighth spellcard, I felt pretty confident that I would get the clear soon, but I haven't got that far again for a while now.

EDIT: Just had my first run with a no-miss stage portion. I'm getting the hang of this.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 03:21:10 PM by Mikuru »

« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2017, 06:10:37 PM »
170 hours isn't average for any lnnn at all, even pcb, it should be much higher

What?
No, actually I think that if I really focus and don't let nerves get me (and get lucky with the spam), I definitively have a chance of getting this about now. Its may take its time... But I doubt it will take THAT much more.

It wouldn't be the first time I did something earlier than "intended" anyhow. I did ISC all scenes no items back when my only Lunatic 1cc was PCB, which looking back, means I was quite unprepared for some of the hardest scenes- you probably want to have a good amount of Lunatic 1ccs for ISC No Items lol.

Also although it is indeed my most played game, I don't have only 170hs of touhou experience...plus someone mentioned PCB stats are not trustworthy because they only register when you clear the game/stage so theres that. For all I know, I might have played more than the time displayed.

« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2017, 08:00:18 PM »
i got around  90 hours in UFO (with some very close lnb attempts) but i doubt i'd be able to get a LNN before 170. Maybe LNBNV......