Author Topic: Touhou Blogging Thread 2: The Journey Continues!  (Read 27035 times)

Mino ☆

• PCB player.
  • Touhou Hobbyist
Touhou Blogging Thread 2: The Journey Continues!
« on: September 22, 2016, 04:07:50 AM »
Previous Thread

Ahhh! I just realized that the old blogging thread finally hit 1000 posts! I remember when I started that thread three years ago and to see it finally reach that goal fills me with some strange pride. Anyway, as per tradition, here's the new edition of the blogging thread!

So what IS the blogging thread for? Basically you can treat it as your own personal diary of your Touhou endeavors. You can talk about a current goal you're working on, reflect on past goals, talk about future goals, or anything else that's kind of... well... "bloggy".

AKA when you wanna ramble about your Touhou career with long paragraphs (though the post doesn't HAVE to be long) it goes in here!

--

Uh, so where to start. Currently I've been balancing university and a job, so I haven't had TOO much time for Touhou. But when I have played it I've either been: DDC Scoring, PCB scoring, or continuing my LNN(N) journey.

PCB Scoring: Progress is slow but steady. I recently hit 2.6bil about a few weeks ago. My current route probably allows 3bil but it would require extremely good execution. Top notch grazing, all borders intact, all spell bonuses done right (including Resurrection butterfly). I'm thinking I'll try and take it 100mil at a time until 3bil. Which means 2.7bil is the next goal (though if I get higher I'll most certainly welcome it!)

DDC Scoring: I literally picked this up like 2-3 days ago. Well, I have scored with ReimuA in the past, and started experimenting with SakuyaB, but I'd never actually gone in depth with SakuyaB before. Er... my current route probably allows like 1.9bil with good execution. If I improved it a bit and executed it well, I might even be able to reach 2bil. I think 2bil would be a nice a modest goal for this category and I'll probably stop if I get there (I really don't wanna aim for WR in this category because capping spells with SakuyaB sucks and the execution itself seems painful)

LNN journey: Oh boy! I've got 4 games down, and more to go! MoF was done recently. And let me tell you, it was no easy task! VoWG got me 7 times! Not only that. Dying to things like Aki's final, Hina's final, Nitori's midboss, PWG, Momiji, etc. really made this more painful than it needed to be. But thankfully I did succeed despite the rage! My next target is SA! I already have two 1MNB runs of it, so I'm pretty close. It's definitely in reach but due to the unpredictable nature of LNNs, it could take from a day to a year lol. After that I'll go for IN and UFO. Then if I somehow succeed at both, I'll try EoSD. EoSD really seems painful but it can be done with a lot of effort and time.

LoLK? Ahahahaha. No. Just no. I might consider it if and only if I get every other game LNN'd. It just seems really painful and I don't like how the final attack is like super harder than everything else in the game, and making it to said attack is just near impossible. LoLK LNN grinding (even when gobou did it) just ends up being Ringo/Seiran resets and maybe the occasional Doremy (only to be killed by the first non).
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 04:17:44 AM by Mino ☆ »

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
Re: Touhou Blogging Thread 2: The Journey Continues!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 04:16:40 AM »
looking to 1cc DDC

dies on stage 3 with max bombs

WHY
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

Das

• w e w
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 04:37:48 AM »
Currently debating whether my next LNB should be EoSD, or DDC.

a very tense decision.

Chill Observer

• Aimless fanatic
  • haHAA
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 06:28:36 AM »
I'm considering starting my first lunatic soon! It will most likely be SA.

Also, I'm contemplating some no-bomb runs, but I don't know what as of yet. I did a blind SA normal no-bomb clear with 1 extra life remaining, but that's normal mode which to me is piss easy at this point.
Retired Touhou player. Not involved with anything Touhou anymore.

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 08:00:23 AM »
I'm finding that I'm too used to IN's deathbomb window, I usually take way too long to bomb and I keep dying stupidly. I decided to try a Normal NB IN run to see how well I do without bombs, I made it to Kaguya's first nonspell before dying.

Also, I decided to use Netherworld Team for the first time, cleared Normal with 3 lives. From what I understand, Youmu + ghost half does way more damage to bosses than Yuyuko. My problem is that I tend to stay focused during boss battles, staying unfocused for too long scares me. In my run, I tried to stay unfocused during bosses, focusing only to dodge and readjust my aim. Seems this method works :)

Edit: Here's the run if you're interested
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 11:42:05 AM by novice259 »

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 11:59:41 AM »
Probably going to try no bombs run of eosd to see how I do and build some confidence. I have most of the spells memorized except reimu b 's patchouli fight. I've played this game so many times I could get to Sakuya midboss blindfolded. Sadly my problem is making stupid mistakes like losing a life on cirno or something.

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 03:38:09 PM »
I'm having similar problems with EoSD. I got the game eight days ago, and feel I should have got a normal clear by now, but either I do well in the early game and crash and burn to the Patchy/Saki double-whammy, or I make stupid mistakes in the early game, decide to keep playing anyway, get an unexpectedly good Patchy fight but don't have enough resources to finish the thing off.

My other main goal is to clear MoF Hard, which will be my first Hard clear. I got very close to this a while ago -- disappears to check the replay -- in May, but I've just gotten distracted from it. First SSS came out, then I decided to get IN and now EoSD. Well, I don't regret it because SSS and IN are enormous fun, and expanding my repertoire has improved my overall skills, but... yeah. It nags at me that I got so close, I could clear if I keep trying, but I don't have it yet.

And then I have a ton of smaller goals: improving my runs and scores in all the games I have, and clearing more Extras. I feel I should get a few more goals completed, so that I don't have so much unfinished business, before I risk getting another game. At the same time, I'm curious about the other games (9, 11, 12, 14, 15) and I'd love to give them a try. It will have to wait.

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 06:15:00 PM »
I've been trying to get back to Touhou lately, I'm mostly playing just SA and throwing random LNB credits, going back to stage practice to try whatever I failed again.
I'm also thinking of moving touhou back to my old laptop. My current one doesn't have the best resolution to play at and I feel the screen tearing from no Vsync is worse, as it is actually distracting now (or maybe I just started to notice, idk). Really, I'd just be missing out on playing TD, DDC and LoLK without frameskip (and playing EoSD period, which is actually kind of bad).

Other than that, what has kept me from playing touhou is... other games actually, been playing some Pokemon in my wait for SM, and I got Crimzon Clover WI on that Steam shmup sale last month, and it's pretty fun.
Spoiler:
I can't clear any Arcade mode for shit, though

Things I've done (and maybe will improve):
SA L6MNB | SA Lunatic 3b Scorerun | MoF LNB | PCB LNB |DDC LNB

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 11:29:00 PM »
Played a credit of MoF Normal just for fun.

When Nitori appeared for her brief "hi, bye again", my score was paused at the interesting value of 066626660.

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 12:04:48 AM »
I hate it when i do practice and do great but can never do good in a normal run. And im referring to that "debatable" marrionette capture. You can see why i say "debatable" as the spell starts up. I honestly dont know how to explain it in words but im still surprised by how lucky that was. heres the replay: http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=41545

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 04:48:49 AM »
So while most of the Touhou games would run fine on my laptop, DDC would run at 55-58 fps, and LoLK could get down to 40 fps on attacks like Junko's last spell. There was some input lag too. I attributed the problems to my laptop being low-spec for those newer games.

Today I did a search for DDC Vpatch and came across this post by Karisa. There's a setting on input latency for SA and every game after! I set it from Automatic to Fast for DDC and LoLK, and just like that, neither game has input lag anymore :)

And now DDC and LoLK run at a constant 60 fps, which is pretty amazing for me.

Lots of people probably knew about the latency settings in custom.exe already, but I wanted to post about it in case anyone else was in the dark.

Red770

• Instigator
  • Hey mang, Take it easy on the take it easy
    • Soundcloud
Re: Touhou Blogging Thread
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 07:48:36 PM »
I'm feelin' it today, with less ambivalence! Got sick of the repetitive music a while back, still quite good by itself, but I rarely listen to it nowadays.
Got to visit Kanako today, 1cc'd on normal, got stomped flat. :V   Probably because I'm not listening to the music... idk

I'll try to visit someone else today to see how they'll greet me. I'm starting to get back into it too (as if it was not apparent a few weeks back). I'll probably grind on lunatic difficulty and get back to you on that after my normal visit.

Whoops, my bad i didn't see this thread and accidentally bumped the old one   :ohdear:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 07:39:37 AM by Karisa »
double kill, triple kill, overkill, killtacular, killtrocity, killimanjaro, killtastrophe, killpocalypse, killionaire

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2016, 07:44:12 AM »
Whoops, my bad i didn't see this thread and accidentally bumped the old one   :ohdear:
There you go, fixed.

I don't think starting new threads at 1000 posts has been necessary for years, but it's nice to have a new initial post once in a while.

Anyway, today I just discovered that this new Mac that was a gift to me a few months ago (old computer with the unreliable streaming finally broke entirely during the summer), which for some reason broke hardware compatibility with Windows 7, is actually fast enough to run recent Touhou games at full speed through Wine.

Unfortunately it can't run Shining Shooting Star at all-- it simply doesn't open, not even if I try to force Chinese locale (though it doesn't seem to be the same issue, since without Chinese locale the game normally crashes on the loading screen, as opposed to not even starting).

I might go back to scoring an official game (more LoLK Normal 2 billion attempts?) if I ever find the time, though that probably won't be anytime soon.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 07:46:36 AM by Karisa »

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2016, 06:46:01 PM »
Tried doing a no bombs run of PCB. Even though it failed it was super fun and i got some insane dodges. I may or may not have gotten a perfect alice i cant remember. Anyways i only made it to prismriver sisters but it couldve been stage 5 if i hadnt made some stupid mistakes. Might try to do this more seriously sometime but for now back to EOSD to get that 1cc. I keep dying to the same 2 cards on remillia with reimu a. (Red Magic or the Knives version before Red magic)

http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=41561

Zigzagwolf

• Kuruminist Touhou Player
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2016, 11:49:37 AM »
First Touhou blogging thread post of mine on this forum, felt like that would be interesting to note at the start.

I am currently working on a Touhou scoretable for myself, currently got this

I doubt I'll do all of this today; I am doing this with scores of which I can prove that I have them as opposed to scores that are in the files but I have no clue what my actual scores are in them. Feels like I need to mention it, but there's gonna be a lot of empty categories that might be empty forever if I don't feel like doing them. On another note, I'm expecting to fill up some of them in the future.

As of Touhou, I'm not certain wether I'll try to push Reimu and Yuuka to 200M in Mystic Square's Extra stage, my current route for both is strong enough but I have an even stronger route for Reimu in mind (that is harder to execute.) Essentially I tried the things Zil mentioned earlier in the achievement thread for a reroute but this does not seem to work and my conclusion is that it is because most of the items in the mentioned patterns can be collected manually as opposed to the ones which cannot in the patterns I bomb for autocollection (mind that when the manually ones are collected they get me to max dream bonus and Reimu and Yuuka's dream gauge doesn't instant deplete when bombing, that also matters a lot.) In the end I end up collecting more point items in the current route as well as getting more of them at max value. I already feel like Reimu being at 193,6 Million is very strong though... But I'll give it some more shots soon enough. For now I guess I'll work on the scoretable bit by bit; aim for better scores in MS EX. Also might contemplate what I'll do soon too and publish the Vs Zun fangame video I have on private in the maintime. Right now I've got to be ready for an appointment I have in about 10 minutes though, so I guess I'll leave this blogpost at this.
Raid Kappatalism for great Kurumi!

Youtube channel My Youtube channel, I hope you enjoy my Touhou runs.

Mr Jovial

• Commander of the Whale Legion
  • ~Having a whale of a time~
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2016, 09:12:37 AM »
Ok, so I'm going to blog without actually playing Touhou. It's definitely Touhou related though.

So I think the last thing I said I would do was a TD LNNN with Marisa. I got bored before I even started running though, TD isn't very exciting. I took a break from Touhou, played some stuff on steam and found I really liked one game enough to speedrun it (the game is Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight if anyone cares). My best time was 25:55 and WR is currently 23:34 for the category I was running so my time was OK. I wanted to go faster but I found a lot of the additional strategies to be really annoying. For example, the first area of the game is probably the hardest. There's a type of enemy that is really unpredictable and just touching it kills you on this category. It takes me quite a few attempts to get through the area normally. Then the boss fight. I do a slow strategy because the fast strategy is a 2 frame trick and I don't want to deal with that after 20 attempts just to get to the boss.

The way this links to Touhou is that speedrunning is similar to scoring. To get a good score/time in a score/speedrun you normally have to follow particular methods otherwise you lose score/time. I feel the reason I gave up scoring was because I couldn't get a really important score method and there isn't really any alternative without just not doing that method and losing  a lot of points. I prefer to do challenge runs, if I have problem with something in a challenge run I just modify my strategy until it works and Touhou is great for challenge runs (which is stuff like LNB/LNN) because of its enormous skill cap. I really haven't found anything like it. So I might come back and go for another LNN in a couple of weeks, I have a feeling DDC is the game I'll try. Not sure though. Most of the games have something I don't want to deal with. DDC has Seija's flips (honestly I'm just too lazy to learn reversed controls, could get over it) and I'm not really fond of the shot types. Other games have more stuff I find annoying but DDC seems the least annoying hence why I might play that.

On an unrelated note, I'm making a fangame. Going for a 2d action platformer with some bullet hell-esque attacks. Plan is for you to avoid hits using invincibility via rolls and airdashes but it's too early in development to show it off. Only doing it for some serious programming experience and to put on my CV. C++ is hard :C

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2016, 10:34:45 AM »
I find it strange that i can get a perfect stage 4 but not stage 2-3 in EOSD ...
well anyways i think  have my motivaton back for this game

RB

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2016, 01:09:23 PM »
Decided to try an SA Stage 6 practice while I'm at a public place because I was getting bored. Played it on my lap since I couldn't use a table.

After fighting Utsuho on Ultra, Normal feels easier now. 2MNB, one miss to a BoWaP spirit, which was pretty unexpected but I didn't really care about it. It was intended to be a run with an NMNB Utsuho. Another miss to the fourth nonspell, I need to find a way to do it without getting crushed by a pillar that is usually hidden by the bubbles. Replay

None of the spells were threatening, Nuclear Fusion didn't give me trouble, capped Mega Flare for the first time, penultimate is a lot easier than it used to be.

LunarWingCloud

• Private Square
  • ♪ Present World Overhaul ♪
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2016, 03:57:15 AM »
Been a while since I've been here, glad to have stopped by again. Just wanted to say I've been getting back into Touhou VERY hard, and happy to be doing so. I stream on Twitch now, mostly Touhou with some other stuff mostly on PS4 or PC. But it's like 75% Touhou. I even just recently started using my YouTube again for uploading, and I started a Touhoumon 1.8 Enhanced LP on that :V

I also beat Raiko wayyyyyyyyy back in May, finally, so I'm at 6 Extra Clears. I'll get back to official Touhou games eventually. I almost got a No Miss 1cc of Normal TD too.

This is my YouTube channel in case you guys wanna check out the LP of Touhoumon 1.8 Enhanced: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfH3IOzYiREJmBc1Ayg6uww
This is my Twitch channel in case you ever would like to check out my streams (I stream 2 times a week usually, Saturday tends to be consistent): https://www.twitch.tv/lunarwingcloud

Also apparently there was that followup to Dat Youmu Game which has Sakuya, released on PS4?? :V I have Genso Rondo and I streamed that and it was fun, but BRUH, I need THAT game.
I play Touhou on Twitch and YouTube. I'm not that good, but I'm informative when I can be. Follow me.

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2016, 12:10:52 PM »
Oh you mean scarlet curiosity. I beat it the other day it's an extremely beautiful game would definitely recommend playing when you get the chance.

LunarWingCloud

• Private Square
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2016, 06:08:15 PM »
Yes, I'm excited to play it when I get some other games out of the way first.
I play Touhou on Twitch and YouTube. I'm not that good, but I'm informative when I can be. Follow me.

Chill Observer

• Aimless fanatic
  • haHAA
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2016, 01:28:37 AM »
[attachimg=1]

First attempt at a SA easy scorerun. I didn't do any grazes here, and my emphasis was on not dying and reaching 50k PIV as soon as possible.

I will definitely be improving this. 500m is my goal at the moment. I don't know if I want to go any higher.
Retired Touhou player. Not involved with anything Touhou anymore.

LunarWingCloud

• Private Square
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2016, 04:15:37 AM »
So today I recorded 2 parts for Touhoumon Enhanced (I don't wanna have ridiculously long parts like a lot of people have so I have 2 parts roughly 18 minutes each), and gotta say, having a CNazrin is amazing, her Pickup ability really helps in the early game. I uploaded Part 2, and as of this post have uploaded but not yet made public Part 3, but I will before I go to bed. Then I'm gonna record some more hopefully tomorrow.

Also I streamed tonight, played a few hours of Fantasy Maiden Wars, got to the Patchy fight, which was awesome. It sucks the game froze on me after I won trying to load the next part, so I'm gonna have to redo that offscreen before I stream again, but I do enjoy the game a lot so far.

Also I plan to get Scarlet Curiosity sometime before my next stream to replace Genso Rondo, because I'm honestly far more interested in a follow up to Dat Youmu Game than I am Genso Rondo.

EDIT: Part 3 is uploaded. Links to Part 2 and 3 below.

Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzFMfBx60a4
Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPB8ajq2V04
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 06:16:28 AM by LunarWingCloud »

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2016, 09:50:23 PM »

Quote from: #pc-99
[2016-10-01 23:57:48] <Karisa> 729m, getting there...
[2016-10-02 00:41:46] <Karisa> Another 8/7 clear, 731m this time
[2016-10-02 00:42:08] <Karisa> I keep missing a set or two of stage point items-- this time I died to the fairies after midboss Seija, losing her items

[2016-10-02 13:09:09] <Karisa> Just lost a potential ~743m to a death to Shinmyoumaru's 1st...

[2016-10-02 14:28:25] <Karisa> So close... this time I had a very good run up to the start of Seija, and somehow died by not moving out of the way of a lone bullet during her first spell
[2016-10-02 14:29:44] <Karisa> I played played out the rest and finished with 734m, meaning with that spell bonus, and higher spell bonuses from being at 4 power for the next two spells, it could've been ~747m
[2016-10-02 14:32:48] <Karisa> ...wait I forgot to mention that I somehow forgot to ram an orb right before Seija, and missed that 2.0 as a result
[2016-10-02 14:33:08] <Karisa> Which is probably why I wasn't concentrating enough on her first spell
Reviewing Lollipop's replay seems to have prompted me to improve my own score. I haven't succeeded yet, though. So many close runs with a single major mistake.

I've adjusted my route in stage 2 and 5, enough to squeeze out another life's worth of 2.0s, which I've been using to bomb two of Yatuhashi's nonspells like K・G does instead of one. Not sure if it's worth it though-- the suicide to Yatsuhashi gains ~1200 PIV, but costs ~1m from the next spell due to the lower power, and another ~1m from power items.

The record is 747,345,270 by K・G (or the easier-to-type K@G in-game), for anyone who doesn't know.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 03:33:35 AM by Karisa »

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2016, 08:21:57 PM »
I've decided to finally move to take Touhou more seriously than I have in the past, and will looking to do Lunatic clears for the first time on my favorite games.

I'll be starting with Lotus Land Story, Mystic Square, EoSD, and PoFV, which are my favorite games to be my first clears.

In past I was satisfied with normal 1cc clears and runs with continues, but I'm ready to push even further, not getting any younger.

Will hopefully try to upload my clears to youtube as well.

LunarWingCloud

• Private Square
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2016, 02:59:21 PM »
I've been making attempts to 1cc EoSD Hard with default stock. I keep derping up around Stage 4 or even earlier and the best I've done recently is Sakuya, but farthest I've ever gotten was late into the Remilia fight. Eventually I'll pull it off.

Also been trying to No Miss 1cc TD Normal, which has not gone well after the initial attempt where I failed right on Laser of Seventeen Articles :V been unable to replicate anything close to that good since, and messed up multiple times either during Futo, her stage, or on Miko.

And as well, I have been uploading more Touhoumon Enhanced, I beat Brock recently (the gym leader music is good!) and marched through Route 3, and I'm headed into Mt. Moon next time. Playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjvFChQTwRxd-gVa8_oFbBWahXG7tLkG1

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2016, 02:56:44 AM »
I've been trying to get back to Touhou lately, I'm mostly playing just SA and throwing random LNB credits, going back to stage practice to try whatever I failed again.

[attachimg=1]

Guess it was just a matter of time.
The run was kind of meh, no remarkable captures and mostly predictable deaths... except Utsuho's opener, that's literally the first time I've ever died to that, on any difficulty.
Funny enough, it's still my best LNB of this game; the only other two I've done were both 10 misses, and this one was 9, so it's progress, I guess.

Things I've done (and maybe will improve):
SA L6MNB | SA Lunatic 3b Scorerun | MoF LNB | PCB LNB |DDC LNB

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2016, 05:32:49 PM »
Another funny number: EoSD Normal MarisaB attempt (last one I need to have 1cced all shot types). When Remilia appeared, I had 99,998,870.

Emerald Mint

• Gemstone
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2016, 04:53:10 AM »
I've gotten over internal competitive issues over time and can continue playing as long as it's fun in some way or another.
Currently working on UFO progress with a mix of score/survival strats. Can now actually get to Murasa on Lunatic and Ichirin's spell cards aren't as punishing as before, except perhaps #38: Annihilation "Consecutive Hooks Throughout Heaven and Earth", need to work on my dexterity for that one.

LunarWingCloud

• Private Square
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2016, 06:41:53 AM »
So, I was streaming some Touhou over the weekend. I streamed Scarlet Curiosity and Fantasy Maiden Wars, along with some non-Touhou stuff.

But I'd like to share 2 particular videos.

Video 1

First of all, I'm so thankful everyone checked this out, I've never had a video reach as many views as this, even if it's only a few hundred! ;w; In this video from Scarlet Curiosity, I was playing as Sakuya and somehow, she just walked through one of the steps during an attack sequence and dropped into an abyss and died. I've heard of silly stuff like this happening in Scarlet Curiosity, but this is the first time this has happened.

Video 2

In this video I was playing Fantasy Maiden Wars, and it was my first attempt against Flandre Scarlet. She wiped my team and for some reason, after Keine died, I got the Game Over but I SOMEHOW DID NOT GET BOOTED TO THE TITLE SCREEN. Instead, Flandre left me in a purgatory, where I could move the cursor and perform turns, but I had no units. I could even examine everything on the battlefield as normal. Flandre just moved around aimlessly for a few turns, kek. The full moment, which has some commentary from my stream, is linked in the description of the video in case you'd like to see that.

So of course I had to upload those to YouTube because they're both worth a short lol.