Author Topic: Why is the creation of new threads so preferred to necrobumping?  (Read 5573 times)

VIVIT

• Robot maid
  • ow my hand
Why is the creation of new threads so preferred to necrobumping?
« on: September 05, 2016, 05:02:52 PM »
I know that different forums handle this differently, but I'm curious about the reasoning behind the policy. Other forums I've been on always prefer necrobumping, while still others have threads automatically lock after 30 days of inactivity. This is the only one I've seen that has manually-inforced policies against necrobumping, though. Can I ask why that choice was made? It seems like it would make it more difficult to browse old posts.

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
Re: Why is the creation of new threads so preferred to necrobumping?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 11:18:45 AM »
In the past, MotK used to have auto-locks as well, until a certain font just went and disabled them.

The initial reason was that the longer a thread is, the harder it is for a database to operate on. For this same reason, all threads are manually locked once they reach 1000 replies.
On the other forum, there used to be a couple of active 30K POWER LEVEL threads. Needless to say, the site was lagging horribly until they were closed and put to rest.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 11:25:35 AM by 'ω' »

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

VIVIT

• Robot maid
  • ow my hand
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 02:37:04 PM »
Ah, alright. The forum I was thinking of with a huge preference for necrobumping and megathreads used different BB software -- that might have been what made the difference.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 06:00:10 PM »
I should mention that there is some flexibility where this is concerned. Some threads can be necrobumped with important updates or useful information. But like 90% of necrobumps are just a low-content reply or a response to a user who isn't even around anymore.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 05:15:39 PM »
We prefer the natural flow of the forum to be doing our job. If a thread loses interest, it slowly "dies" to other pages and eventually forgotten. No locking required.

Usually, (note, usually) , bumping threads disrupts this flow. Especially when people quote/answer to others in that thread who may or may not be around any more. It can confuse new readers as well.

Of course it all is a huge grey area when it comes to modding. We prefer people to remake threads on most forum sections. The exceptions are present when for example being in Rika & Nitori's section. The thread creators themselves are allowed to bump up old threads only if they have something constructive/informative to add.

Only new people who quickly want to get few random posts off usually bump up those threads. Which is odd because there are plenty other threads for that reason.

TL DR:  Bumping up old threads is not preferred.

Candra Software

• D-Blaster user
  • Hello, maidens!
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 06:00:19 PM »
I personally don't like it when someone bumps a thread made by a user who hasn't logged in a long time ago, without any meaningful information. I've seen it happen a few times on another forum.