Author Topic: The Anime Expo aftermath! Dualshockers interviews Touhou guests  (Read 10105 times)

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 04:51:18 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

cuc

That's a good interview with ZUN! The interviewer has a handle on the fan culture surrounding Touhou, and having the advantage of being American, didn't beat around the bush.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 03:59:30 AM by cuc »

Chill Observer

• Aimless fanatic
  • haHAA
A: Is there anything you?d like to personally say to fans?

Z: With the upcoming releases of my fan-made games in the West, I would like the people who have just played the fan-made games to come play the original games.
Well I'm glad even ZUN thinks Touhou fans should play his games.  :V
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 04:02:49 AM by Satorical Komeijist »
Retired Touhou player. Not involved with anything Touhou anymore.

Drake

Re: The Anime Expo aftermath! Dualshockers interviews Touhou guests
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 08:55:16 AM »
A: Would you ever be up for returning to older titles you?ve created and re-release them?

Z: There?s a lot of requests for me to do this. However, I would rather spend my time creating something brand new instead of remaking something.
So many people need to understand this lol

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

ZM

• Overly Eager
  • Sanae~
It was a  solid interview. Glad that good questions were asked this time around. Made up for the train wreck of a panel.

Well I'm glad even ZUN thinks Touhou fans should play his games.  :V

Best part of the interview, right?

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 06:16:49 PM »
That site could really use an editor. The interviews are nice, but they look crazy unprofessional.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 06:11:09 PM »
A: With so many characters in Touhou universe, fans must have a lot of opinions about where their stories should go, how do you shut that out and focus on where you want the story to go?
Z: To be honest, I don?t get too many requests in terms of where the story should go. Usually, I?ll just think of an idea and go with that.
Interesting question and response. Universe of Touhou is vast and ZUN clearly shows he sticks to his own plans while the fans can go Dark Tewi without problems.

A: Even though your titles aren?t usually released in the West, you have a lot of Western fans, did you ever expect that to happen?
Z: I never expected it, even to this day, I don?t understand why there are so many fans. Even though my games are set in Japan, often it?s difficult for Japanese speakers to understand. This makes it even harder for me to understand how I have so many non-Japanese fans.
Because usually we are hugely in debt to our translators who help us at least try to understand the game. So a big shout out to the JP <--> Any Language translators. Not just here on MotK, but anywhere on the world/internet. 

A: Do you support fan-made patches?
Z: As a rule, I would say, ?no touching original stuff!? But on the other hand it makes it more accessible to more people. So I guess I?m okay with it. Yea, I know about it, but I wont go out of my way to do something about it.
This should make the people shut up who claim ZUN is a racist/western hater/xenophobic person.

That site could really use an editor. The interviews are nice, but they look crazy unprofessional.
Sometimes, "Keep it simple stupid" suffices more than enough, though.

cuc

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 03:17:47 AM »
This should make the people shut up who claim ZUN is a racist/western hater/xenophobic person.
Indeed, while he has expressed most of these points before, this interview actually has ZUN laying out his entire logic in one place.

The crucial thing is to understand that ZUN, true to the doujin spirit, sees his doujin publications (the STG games) as entirely his own baby, created, and in an ideal world, put into the players' palms by his own hands. From that perspective, letting anyone else tinker with them, be it hired programmers or fan patchers, can feel like an invasion of privacy.

A corollary is that if the games need to be changed in any way, whether for patching or international localization, he would have to also handle it by himself. And this creates a deadlock, as he often has neither the motivation ("I want to make new things, not fix old ones!") nor the capabilities (new programming techniques or foreign language skills) for the tasks.

Or in other words, he's not a xenophobe, because he hates and distrusts all people equally :).
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 03:34:58 AM by cuc »

Chill Observer

• Aimless fanatic
  • haHAA
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 04:02:15 AM »
Indeed, while he has expressed most of these points before, this interview actually has ZUN laying out his entire logic in one place.

The crucial thing is to understand that ZUN, true to the doujin spirit, sees his doujin publications (the STG games) as entirely his own baby, created, and in an ideal world, put into the players' palms by his own hands. From that perspective, letting anyone else tinker with them, be it hired programmers or fan patchers, can feel like an invasion of privacy.

A corollary is that if the games need to be changed in any way, whether for patching or international localization, he would have to also handle it by himself. And this creates a deadlock, as he often has neither the motivation ("I want to make new things, not fix old ones!") nor the capabilities (new programming techniques or foreign language skills) for the tasks.

Or in other words, he's not a xenophobe, because he hates and distrusts all people equally :).
Very true. That also explains why ZUN has and will always be a one-man army when it comes to creating doujin games. People need to realize that even though one guy alone created the Touhou games, one guy is still one guy and not some omnipotent god capable of doing every single programming technique ever and/or speak every language ever. It is not a smart idea to ask for the impossible.  :derp:

With that being said, fan translation patches (THCrap) and practice tools are great. They've definitely held my interests in the games more as well as motivated me to become a better player. I would probably enjoy it less if fan patches didn't exist.
Retired Touhou player. Not involved with anything Touhou anymore.

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 12:16:41 AM »

He seems to marginally trust Tasofro, at least.

Though I'd be surprised if Futo's super short skirt or Byakuren's bouncy bounce (and lots of other 'animations', really) was his idea.

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 07:31:05 AM »
From what I can tell, he writes all the dialog personally, but leaves the rest to them. Except to insert weird drunken ideas like "what if when Suwako ducks, she goes up instead of down?"