Author Topic: Touhou Accomplishments Thread 23: Legacy of Amazing Achievements  (Read 166769 times)

Re: Touhou Accomplishments Thread 23: Legacy of Amazing Achievements
« Reply #180 on: September 28, 2016, 11:25:21 AM »
I NMNBed SA Stage 5 on Lunatic :) I've been wanting to do this for a while.
I did the late streaming part without gapping but I streamed it too fast and it ended up being a bit of a fluke capture.

http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=41587

DarkPermafrost

• Wandering Lone Wolf
« Reply #181 on: September 29, 2016, 08:49:22 AM »
I can't believe I spent 80 attempts across two shottypes just to get this. Ugh.

DDC Perfect Extra (ReimuA)

Grrr.
---
YouTube

LunarWingCloud

• Private Square
  • ♪ Present World Overhaul ♪
« Reply #182 on: September 30, 2016, 04:02:10 AM »
Been a long while since I was last around the boards, but I finally beat Raiko with SakuyaA. Here's a video of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbELi9pl4ec

I apologize for not being very good, but at least I'm clearing stuff again :V
I play Touhou on Twitch and YouTube. I'm not that good, but I'm informative when I can be. Follow me.

« Reply #183 on: September 30, 2016, 04:11:59 PM »
I know compared to other people's accomplishments it isn't that incredible, but I just got my first Lunatic 1cc!! It was in SA and while it could have gone a lot better, *cough* Stage 4 *cough*, I am very happy about it!

http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=41602

« Reply #184 on: September 30, 2016, 07:18:34 PM »
Hey. Remember me from page 1 of the topic? The guy who almost got an IN Normal 1cc? Well after a long time of not playing Touhou, I decided to give it another go. And guess who almost got a 1cc?

Not me, because I actually DID it this time. No continues used, beat Kaguya's last spellcard with no extra lives and no spare bombs.

I'm rather amazed because my run was horrible. Like, we're talking deathbombing-on-midboss-Wriggle horrible. Though Marisa didn't mess me up as badly as she did last time, so I guess it all evened out.

Didn't capture any of Kaguya's Last Spells though. Actually, it was 4 a.m. ingame when I got to her, so after losing the first two I didn't even get a chance to try the others... but I always sucked at those spells so I think I know how that would've went lol

I know it's not too impressive to most of you, but remember I used to play only on Easy. So this was a pretty big jump for me.

« Reply #185 on: October 01, 2016, 03:13:28 PM »
Finally my first clear of ddc !  With Some of my favorite characters and shotypes in touhou. yea I played on easy mode and normally i play on normal. The idea of playing easy mode was i was originally playing normal mode but kept dying to stage 4 or on lucky runs 5 so i decided to play easy just to if it was really "easy". Honestly it felt almost as difficult as normal i was surprised how i had so many lives left. Anyways dont feel ashamed for playing easy mode at first. Ive been playing touhou since UFO released and honestly i still reaaaallly suck. Sorry for talking so much lol heres the replay: http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=41609

On another note score runs sound fun... (to be continued)

Zigzagwolf

• Kuruminist Touhou Player
« Reply #186 on: October 02, 2016, 12:01:56 AM »
I did a No Miss No Bombs No Trance fight against Miko in TD Lunatic, I do have a video of that up here Lunatic Miko NMNBNT with Reimu Kind of happened pretty fast too.
Raid Kappatalism for great Kurumi!

Youtube channel My Youtube channel, I hope you enjoy my Touhou runs.

LunarWingCloud

• Private Square
  • ♪ Present World Overhaul ♪
« Reply #187 on: October 02, 2016, 06:23:30 AM »
I did a No Miss No Bombs No Trance fight against Miko in TD Lunatic, I do have a video of that up here Lunatic Miko NMNBNT with Reimu Kind of happened pretty fast too.
That was a fun watch. Also I really like how you put pictures of the characters on the sides to give something to look at. You got yourself another sub, friend.
I play Touhou on Twitch and YouTube. I'm not that good, but I'm informative when I can be. Follow me.

Zigzagwolf

« Reply #188 on: October 02, 2016, 08:12:52 AM »
That was a fun watch. Also I really like how you put pictures of the characters on the sides to give something to look at. You got yourself another sub, friend.
I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it, yeah I tend to think that it fills in the emptiness of the 720p bars, thank you! c:

« Reply #189 on: October 03, 2016, 05:28:12 PM »
Adding EoSD to my collection of cleared games. Scored 107m, which apparently isn't bad for a first clear. When Daiyousei appeared, I had 104 power, 4 graze and 44 point items -- considering Japanese superstition about the number 4, I did wonder whether that was a bad omen for me or for my opponents :)

For some reason, I've been struggling to get into this game, and kept having bad runs for a while -- this was the first time I've got beyond Scarlet Netherworld. But after good runs yesterday and the day before, I felt sure the clear was going to be soon. Still, coming back home after a long day, I really didn't expect it to be now -- that's why I didn't restart after two deaths before the end of Stage 3. But I got the clear, and that's what matters!

« Reply #190 on: October 04, 2016, 12:08:36 AM »
Sorry for the double post, but I did unexpectedly get a second achievement on the same day: MoF 75fps 1cc on my very first credit. I've had it in mind for a while that once I finally got the EoSD clear, one of the next things I'd try would be higher fps, never tried it before. It's great fun :) and certainly gets rid of that feeling of the early stages being a bit tedious.

As for the run itself, I had 1 miss in the first five stages (Sanae's opener), then it all went to hell in stage 6. Fortunately, I only just scraped through.

Zigzagwolf

« Reply #191 on: October 04, 2016, 02:13:35 PM »
Something I did out of nostalgia yesterday, another 90 FPS clear of Mystic Square's extra stage. Really strong 90 FPS clear too. (ended with the same resources as I started and with 104 Million with Reimu.) Also got really close to capturing the purple laser spam (purple pattern 2) and the final pattern, both which, are the hardest to do. (granted the semifinal would be tough to do too but the safespot helps a ton for that.)

I got my run up here 90 FPS Mystic Square Extra clear w/Reimu

I might do this again for LLS too, it does give me quite a bit of nostalgia as I did this on my old channel too back in the day, but this run really is a whole lot better so I'm glad I got that run.

Lollipop

• stay woke
  • literally and figuratively dying
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 02:47:50 AM by Lollipop »
Touhou 1CCS:
Hard: LLS, EoSD(NB), PCB(NB), IN, MoF, TD, DDC(NB), LoLK
Lunatic: EoSD, PCB, DDC, LoLK
Extra: LLS, EoSD, PCB(Extra&Phantasm), IN, MoF, SA, DDC, LoLK
Current Focus: 1cc SA Hard, or an Extra

ZM

• Overly Eager
  • Sanae~
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 05:55:28 PM by ZM »

« Reply #194 on: October 08, 2016, 10:30:59 PM »
Congrats ZM, it was a nice watch.

[attachimg=1]

SA 6-miss LNB
It's not much, could have been a 4-miss, but I'm pretty happy with this regardless

Things I've done (and maybe will improve):
SA L6MNB | SA Lunatic 3b Scorerun | MoF LNB | PCB LNB |DDC LNB

ZM

• Overly Eager
  • Sanae~
« Reply #195 on: October 08, 2016, 10:53:41 PM »
Congrats ZM, it was a nice watch.

[attachimg=1]

SA 6-miss LNB
It's not much, could have been a 4-miss, but I'm pretty happy with this regardless

Thanks, and grats on your miss PB.

Lollipop

• stay woke
  • literally and figuratively dying
« Reply #196 on: October 09, 2016, 12:30:58 AM »
more clears

« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 06:27:22 PM by Lollipop »
Touhou 1CCS:
Hard: LLS, EoSD(NB), PCB(NB), IN, MoF, TD, DDC(NB), LoLK
Lunatic: EoSD, PCB, DDC, LoLK
Extra: LLS, EoSD, PCB(Extra&Phantasm), IN, MoF, SA, DDC, LoLK
Current Focus: 1cc SA Hard, or an Extra

« Reply #197 on: October 10, 2016, 05:11:56 PM »
1MNB run of UFO Extra with SanaeB. So close!

Neptune

• :D
  • kms
« Reply #198 on: October 10, 2016, 06:58:24 PM »
Got my Normal NMNBNT two days ago.

http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=41667

Even if TD is really easy, this still makes me pretty happy~ Time to work on Hard NMNBNT, which shouldn't be too bad. I hope.
i like cute stuff

« Reply #199 on: October 10, 2016, 11:19:58 PM »
So I got bored and decided to play through some of Riverbed Soul Saver's Overdrive mode.

After making an unexpected character change, I finally completed the mode - from Stage 1 to Phantasm.

Looks like I have gotten better by playing both the fangames and official series.

« Reply #200 on: October 11, 2016, 05:22:39 PM »
My three big achievements may not seem that big compared to some other people's, but they're still moments that I myself am quite proud of.

First Ever Clear: The first time I cleared a Touhou game was about a year after I had started playing. I had been trying for that whole time to get through EoSD 'cuz I wanted to open up the Extra Stage and fight Flan for myself. To this day, I still haven't unlocked it, but I'm still satisfied with my one successful clear of the game. I had been playing as MarisaB because... well... Master Spark. Why else? Anyways, I had just started on my last continue right as I got to Remilia, so I had a full stock of lives and bombs. By the time I reached her final spell, I was out of both. It was either capture the spell or lose yet again, and I had gone into the fight completely blind. Every time a bullet even so much as approached me, I clenched hard, and I was on the edge of my seat the whole time, sweating nervously. When I saw her health hit zero and the final results screen pop up, I jumped out of my seat and celebrated. It was a feeling of exhilaration I very rarely get anymore, and I doubt I'll ever forget it.

First 1cc: My first 1cc was on Mystic Square. It was on Easy (Yeah yeah, laugh it up. Just know that I despise easy mode mockery.) as Mima. It had been a few months after clearing EoSD, and I had been playing the crap out of MS. It quickly became one of my favorite Touhou games ever, and I just kept getting better and better at it. One morning that Summer, I got up and decided I'd do another run. The farthest I had gotten on one continue at that point was Yumeko, so I hoped to at least beat her that time. Much to my surprise, I actually made it to Shinki, and I was making solid progress through the fight. The longer it went on, the more excited and nervous I got. As I was doing the fight, my dad came down and started watching. He asked a bit about the game, and I answered his questions while trying not to break my concentration. When I won, I had to try not to cheer since the rest of the family was still asleep. It was an even greater feeling than the one I got from clearing EoSD.

Blind (almost) 1cc: Then there was that time a few days later when I nearly did a blind 1cc of Lotus Land Story on Normal. I went in as ReimuA, and absolutely demolished my way through the game. I only expected to reach Stage 3, 4 if I was lucky. I made it all the way to Yuuka's final attack in Stage 6 before losing my last life. She had only a sliver of health left. It was my most painful Game Over yet, but it gave me the determination I needed to try again. On my second attempt, I pulled it off, bringing Yuuka down and getting that good ending.

To this day, those are my three proudest achievements in any Touhou games. I have yet to open any Extra stages in Windows games, and I haven't cleared any of the ones in the PC-98 games yet. Even after I do, however, these three moments will be forever ingrained in my memory, fondly remembered as great milestones of my progress.

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
« Reply #201 on: October 11, 2016, 09:00:18 PM »
Welcome to MotK! It doesn't matter how your achievements compare to others-- you're clearly proud of them, which is what matters.

First 1cc: My first 1cc was on Mystic Square. It was on Easy (Yeah yeah, laugh it up. Just know that I despise easy mode mockery.) as Mima.
Nothing wrong with playing Easy, only with the people who mock it.

It's hard for me to recall my initial Easy clears 6 years ago, but I think MS Easy was actually one of my last 1ccs since the bullets seemed faster than most, and MS doesn't change as much between difficulties compared to later games.

If you're wondering, you can unlock Extra with Easy 1ccs in Touhou 2 (all shot types), 5, 7, 8 (FinalB), 12.8 (1cc all routes), 14, and 15, if you'd like to unlock more. I'm not sure it matters that much though-- Extra tends to be either the difficulty of a Normal stage 7 or Hard (depends on game), so you'd probably 1cc Normal first anyway.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 09:37:09 PM by Karisa »

Chill Observer

• Aimless fanatic
  • haHAA
« Reply #202 on: October 12, 2016, 02:48:29 AM »
I'd also like to add that boss attacks in extra stages tend to be more puzzle-like in nature, meaning that it's not the bullet speed and density that kills you, it's attempting to figure out how the attack works. Not to mention, you don't get very many lives to begin with.

Once you are familiar with the extra stages, they're not that bad to get a basic 1cc. You just need to familiarize yourself first.
Retired Touhou player. Not involved with anything Touhou anymore.

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #203 on: October 12, 2016, 09:50:43 AM »
I'd say it's the combination. Normal attacks tend to be less puzzle-like; Extra's difficulty comes partly from more difficult dodging, and partly from expecting you to be able to multitask enough to figure out the many patterns with tricks to them. They do tend to also be more memorization-based than Normal, though.

Similar to why I wouldn't recommend scoring to players who aren't at least at Extra or Hard level of play, because of the multitasking-- you need to know the controls intuitively enough to also focus on the scoring system. (As much as I'd like to encourage players who are at least at that level to try it out, it's not for everyone.)

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #204 on: October 12, 2016, 10:51:23 AM »
Similar to why I wouldn't recommend scoring to players who aren't at least at Extra or Hard level of play
Do you mean feeling comfortable on Hard/Extra, or just single lucky clears?
Рабинович глядит на плакат ?Ленин умер, но дело его живет!?
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #205 on: October 12, 2016, 11:21:03 AM »
I don't know, just that scoring takes more planning, and more ability to analyze the patterns and stage portions (whether it's learning how to dodge more puzzling/memorization-based patterns found in Extras, or learning how to optimize them according to the scoring systems), that I wouldn't expect players to have if they're only clearing Normal, but they might pick up when learning Hard/Extra well enough to 1cc.

There's also a level of control to your movement needed for grazing, though when first starting out you can get away with focusing on collecting point items and the game's main PIV gimmick for a while, assuming said gimmick isn't grazing itself.

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #206 on: October 12, 2016, 07:55:54 PM »
I don't know, just that scoring takes more planning, and more ability to analyze the patterns and stage portions (whether it's learning how to dodge more puzzling/memorization-based patterns found in Extras, or learning how to optimize them according to the scoring systems), that I wouldn't expect players to have if they're only clearing Normal, but they might pick up when learning Hard/Extra well enough to 1cc.

There's also a level of control to your movement needed for grazing, though when first starting out you can get away with focusing on collecting point items and the game's main PIV gimmick for a while, assuming said gimmick isn't grazing itself.
That's certainly true for Extra stages. Some Hard modes give you enough resources to pretty much spam your way to a 1cc, just like my PCB and IN Hard clears where I bombed through almost every single boss pattern past Stage 3. Not that it stopped me from scoring IN Easy a bit when you encouraged me to do so.
Рабинович глядит на плакат ?Ленин умер, но дело его живет!?
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #207 on: October 13, 2016, 12:40:07 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, in many games playing for score means making the game a lot harder on yourself, even on lower difficulties.  If you're having trouble with standard clears, etc.

Continuing the "if I'm not mistaken" bit, games where scoring and survival play aren't particularly far away from each other include MoF, TD, and DDC.  These are also, if I'm not mistaken, considered the easier games anyway, so etc.

« Reply #208 on: October 13, 2016, 12:42:17 AM »
Not sure whether to file this under Achievements or Rage. A bit of both, I guess.

In the last Replay Showcase there was a MoF no bombs run, and I thought, I haven't done this yet but there's no reason why not, I know I can. Having a bit of time to kill tonight, I gave it a go. The rage part: when Shrine Hunting Ritual came up, I panicked and bombed instinctively, invalidating the run. Then I finished with 3 lives to spare anyway.

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #209 on: October 13, 2016, 10:45:10 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, in many games playing for score means making the game a lot harder on yourself, even on lower difficulties.  If you're having trouble with standard clears, etc.

Continuing the "if I'm not mistaken" bit, games where scoring and survival play aren't particularly far away from each other include MoF, TD, and DDC.  These are also, if I'm not mistaken, considered the easier games anyway, so etc.
I'm assuming beginning scorers would be scoring Easy-- players at the level I'm trying to describe should be able to capture all the patterns on Easy without any trouble (maybe with a few rare exceptions like Yuyuko's 5th or Kanako's final), and therefore focus on learning the scoring mechanics without having to worry much about survival.

Depends on what "survival play" you're comparing to. Are you referring to capturing spells (as implied by MoF and DDC)? Or how in TD you can route the game to 1cc with little to no dodging, and in DDC you can route 2.0s for a ridiculous number of lives (if so LoLK should also be included by similar reasoning)?

I'd say MS and MoF, anyway. MS is the most survival-oriented scoring system in the series by far, since the penalty for bombing (even more so for dying) is high enough it's not worth it except in Extra, and rarely in Easy. MoF is also very survival-based, where dying in a scorerun is an automatic restart, and bosses drop more point items at 5 power, but it's still better to bomb for the PoC or PIV at times. There are other examples, such as IN where several shot types optimally would perfect the game, but it's more of a side effect of the scoring mechanics (dying/bombing rarely helps toward the main goal, time orbs) than a survival-oriented scoring system.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 10:47:19 AM by Karisa »