Author Topic: Doujin music discussion - General discussion!  (Read 7837 times)

CenturyEgg

• Gentle older sister types are the best!
    • My world cosplay account
Doujin music discussion - General discussion!
« on: May 16, 2016, 01:58:05 AM »
So what have you picked up this time round that was good?

I noticed that Hifuu club has had a strange spike of popularity, probably in reaction to the new ZUN release (Can music circles really make stuff this quickly? Amazing) but the few CDs I've had a chance to sit down and listen to that are good so far on my list are:

A-One's TOHO EUROBEAT 秘
Tokyo Active Neet's 東方フィルハーモニー交響楽団4 永&萃
Ridil's Le Carnaval - Paysage de reve
Iron Attack's Bullet Blitz

I've still got a pile unopened and unripped to get through. But I'll let some comments build first I think
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 08:35:23 AM by CenturyEgg »

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
Re: Doujin music discussion - RTS13 edition
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 05:53:25 AM »
It probably wasn't in reaction to the announcement of the new CD, but the Sealing Club in generally has slowly accumulated in popularity over the last few events.

Also, I probably can't even discuss C86 releases yet since my backlog is that bad, lol orz

CenturyEgg

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 08:31:57 AM »
Also, I probably can't even discuss C86 releases yet since my backlog is that bad, lol orz

That is... quite something. Don't you have something to listen to music on the go though?

N-Forza

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 01:33:35 PM »
I usually listen to them on my computer, while my iDevice is for stuff already listened to once that I like. However, the rate at which I listen to CDs is rather slow, and since I also get regular video game soundtracks and other music, progress in the doujin section is moderate at best.

Toushiro Scarlet

• The Dragon Magician
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 04:46:03 AM »
I'm so jealous that you guys can have CD of Touhou music!
Real Science is when you try your hardest to prove your own theory wrong.

Your Everyday NEET

• Part time Researcher & Let's Player, full time NEET, also an eel
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 02:15:07 PM »
I'm so jealous that you guys can have CD of Touhou music!
Well, you could order it through N-Forza.

Come to think of it, this topic does have a very small scope. There are very few of us who participate in RTS13, and probably even less who bought doujin music.

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 03:21:08 PM »
Well, you could order it through N-Forza.

Come to think of it, this topic does have a very small scope. There are very few of us who participate in RTS13, and probably even less who bought doujin music.
We could expand it to all Touhou doujin music. Then that would be a huge scope for a lot of discussion.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

CenturyEgg

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 08:35:02 AM »
We could expand it to all Touhou doujin music. Then that would be a huge scope for a lot of discussion.

Of course, I'll change the first post : >

Re: Doujin music discussion - General discussion!
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 04:07:51 AM »
Of course, I'll change the first post : >

So we can talk about our huge Touhou music collections now besides those at the previous Reitaisai? Just making sure before I drop huge amounts of names of some awesome circles that make great music.  :V

CenturyEgg

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 11:51:03 AM »
Yes! Feel free to!

One of the genre's I've been tracking since I started listening to touhou music (thanks to immaterial and missing power) was orchestral mixes. It mostly started with Tutti sound, branched out to Wave, kitsune workshop and finally settled to Tokyo active. I'm particularly drawn to non synth groups in general simply because the detectable... imperfections lend the music more character i think.

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 12:25:01 AM »
Live Touhou music? Floating Cloud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpNvGNRlFaE

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 05:51:52 AM »
Judging from my tiny Touhou arrange playlist, my preferences range from J-Pop (Hatsumemiko's - Fragments) to rock arranges (岸田 - YU-MU) to trance/electronic (Yuuhei Satellite, Yonder Voice) to just plain depressing (SOUND HOLIC - Priere).

All of these are really good, but my main gripe with Yonder Voice is the singer's super high-pitched voice. The background is like super intense electronic debsteppy music, while the main lead is this child-sounding vocalist.

Yet another reason why I enjoy Yuuhei Satellite over everything else.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 09:32:23 PM »
I accidentally posted this on the wrong topic at first so I am now posting it where it belongs!

One of my favorite Doujin groups is WAVE. I adore Iris' voice and the almost choir style of music like that. Does anyone know of any other groups that sounds similar or just like her?  I am aware of Kalafina and like them, but they are just not the same as WAVE.

N-Forza

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 01:58:33 AM »
I follow a ton of music circles but one of the criminally overlooked ones imo is After-burner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGXkhDOmbPY

It's a fusion band with a ton of ex-J-Jazz/J-Fusion band members from the 90s (Cassiopeia, T-Square, Dimension) so the level of quality is way beyond what you'll find in most doujin bands, and a lot of them are pretty good to begin with.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 01:31:59 AM by N-Forza »

XvSpitFirevX

• ForsakenSpitfire
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2016, 06:53:41 PM »
CarrotWine's Rockgirl tracks.

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2016, 05:18:22 PM »
there's one of the criminally overlooked ones imo is After-burner.

DAAAYYYUUMM Son! I checked out your Youtube link to the After-burner demo video and that is MAH JAAAYYYMMM!!!

My non Touhou music collection consists of alot of smooth jazz, house, funk and lounge so this band definitely compliments my pallet. Thanks for sharing such an awesome band with us N-Forza, I love it!

I tried searching for more about them to possibly add to my music collection but aside from their main website there is simply nothing else about them anywhere else. I mean, they have a checkout page to buy their music on their webpage but I don't know a lick of Japanese and Google translate can only go so far.  :(

Your absolutely right, criminally underrated yet fantastic band.

N-Forza

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2016, 01:37:33 AM »
I haven't been able to find out more about them either, (they seemed to have another Touhou album but they don't have more than a banner mentioning it) but I was probably going to try contacting their Twitter at some point. At least they're still active from the looks of it.

And if you're interested in buying their CDs, I can definitely help you what that.

(And thanks for your quote, since it helped me realize I had a typo in my post, heh)

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2016, 02:08:52 PM »
I haven't been able to find out more about them either

It's interesting how often the most talented musicians are often the most modest and don't go out of their way to heavily advertise themselves. What a shame... If a beautiful piece of music is played in the woods and nobody was around to hear it, dose it make a sound?

Anyway, lets talk about my doujin music collection. My collection specializes in instrumental only music and it ranges from all different types of music from Jazz, dance, techno all the way to hard rock. Some of the bands I will recommend below are instrumental only but some might have half vocal and half instrumental tracks. It's a personal preference of mine to keep my collection vocal free because 1) I don't understand Japanese lyrics 2) a lot of the female singers in vocal tracks are high pitched and squeaky enough that it hurts my ears 3) it's easier to recommend to my fellow westerners to enjoy if its vocal free and 4) it's more in tune with ZUN's vision of the music if its without vocals because none of ZUN's in game music has vocals.

My recommendations are as follows:

Xi-on
UI-70
Tutti Sound
Black Cat Lounge's Touhou House Sets
Tokyo Active Neet's
Tatsh Music Circle
Swing Holic
Sound Sepher
Sound Online
Sound Holic
Silver Forest
Orange Jam (One of the few actual circles with an English singing vocalist and International spread of musicians!)
Ooedo Express Mail
Magnum Opus
Lime Green (Aka Notzan ACT)
Levo Lution
Kota-rocK
IZMIZM
IOSYS (Yes, mostly famous for vocals but have released albums that are instrumental only such as Faithful Star)
Demetori
DDBY
dBu
Dark PHOENIX
Crazy Voltage
Clear Quartz
Assault Door
Alluvial Comet
=Neutral=
[R.I.N. ft. ガネメ]destrUctioN = resurrectiON
[GET IN THE RING]
Logical Emotion
cYsmix

That is what I currently have as of the date of this post but I am always on the lookout for new talent to add to my collection so it is always steadily increasing in size. I look forward to seeing more recommendations on this thread as it will allow me to be exposed to more bands that I have probably overlooked or didn't know existed.

I would love to share with you links to all this great music but unfortunately I don't want the Mod Tengu to come down from the sky and hit me with the ban fan. Trust me though, if I was able to find it out there on the internet then so can you.  ;)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2016, 09:19:09 PM »
KOMSO needs more love. =[

They arrange Touhou musics to sound like Yellow Machine Orchestra songs, which is the best thing.

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2016, 11:11:57 AM »
I'm currently compiling albums by a band called Dropの小屋。/ Drop no Koya. They make instrumental folk Touhou arranges and I'm telling you, it sounds catchy and sweeeeeeet!  :D

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2016, 11:49:58 PM »
Pizuya's Cell, Unlucky Morpheus, Demetori, Ryu 5150, White Elephant.
I love Unlucky Morpheus, specially "Jealousy".

VIVIT

• Robot maid
  • ow my hand
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2016, 05:26:42 PM »
My favorite 2hu music circle is Konekodakkaiya. I can't get enough of their eccentric, progressive style.

Seriously, this is good shit.
This too (NSFW background image)
This one sounds like an interesting combination of Rush and Pink Floyd.

i think their style of music fits Touhou's weirdly literary atmosphere well.