Author Topic: Let's bring back the PC-98 Touhou games!  (Read 3926 times)

98digger

• The Master of 9801
  • What? Windows? What's that?
    • The 98th Dimension
Let's bring back the PC-98 Touhou games!
« on: June 27, 2016, 03:20:50 AM »
Hi guys, it's been a while since I last posted here.

A few weeks ago, I wrote up a page on my personal site regarding the future of the original 5 Touhou games for the PC-9800 series of computers. As you guys know, I'm a huge fan of the original Touhou games; I've gone so far as to actually import a PC-9821 just to play the demo versions, since I don't want to pirate the full games. The problem is, the full games have been unavailable for about 14 years, and it is currently impossible to legally play them in any form. I have noticed that several other Touhou fans also do not want to pirate the games, and are waiting for the chance to one day play them legally. For that matter, I have decided to launch an effort to bring back these original Touhou games. Here's the link:

http://themasterof9801.neocities.org/98thdimension/operationtouhoupc98.html

With ZUN's recent announcement that he will be attending Anime Expo, we now have a great opportunity to ask him about these games. If any of you guys are willing to ask the man himself the question mentioned on my page, me and many other PC-98 Touhou fans would be greatly appreciative.  :)

Thanks,  :D
-98digger

^Notice: I'm bad at writing replies :)    Also: Check out my personal site here: https://themasterof9801.neocities.org/

Arcorann

• hey catgirl
  • Surprisingly unkempt
Re: Let's bring back the PC-98 Touhou games!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 12:35:16 PM »
This is something I'll definitely be following, though from a distance.

Actually, I may try playing around with the new FreeDOS(98) you linked in the meantime. If I can get it working I'll write up a tutorial for it.

DeityDiz93

• Arahitogami of Contribution
  • Geez, Touhou and real life are set to hard mode...
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 02:07:27 AM »
Your call to action with this is something I especially appreciate. I've been a fan of Touhou PC-98 ever since I've been a Touhou fan eight years ago. The very core idea of having my own physical copies of these PC-98 titles makes me extremely giddy. Let's hope we can get the question you have answered!

I myself don't speak ZUN's native language, nor am I going to be able to attend Anime Expo... ;﹏; Either way, best regards to getting this done. I really would like to know what happens should this effort goes somewhere!
I'm a decade-old Touhou Project fan. I heavily advocate for what's obscure and less popular in this series such as the PC-98 era, not-often-heard ZUN music, and the much of unpopular/unused characters.

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 12:14:44 PM »
Now let's hope for a remake or just a windows port or something. pls ZUN

yoshimo

• Impractical Coder
  • Just your neighborhood-friendly Yoshi!
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 03:08:12 AM »
While I really appreciate the idea of this, if I recall correctly, ZUN seems to react negatively to mentions about the PC-98 games towards him.

This does not mean this is not worth asking, especially if he does not need to be in charge of it, but I have my doubts.

Regardless, if this does get the okay, this could throw us into a new chapter of Touhou gameplay interest, and it would be interesting to see where that leads.
My perception of my work ethics.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 08:36:55 AM »
I dunno, he did do a demo of them a while back.