Author Topic: [Art] Caterpie's Perler Beadsprites/Pixel Art  (Read 3541 times)

[Art] Caterpie's Perler Beadsprites/Pixel Art
« on: June 26, 2016, 11:55:47 PM »
Trying to use these forums more. Hope it's okay to post my art after several months of inactivity :V

So I make Perler/fuse bead/whatever beadsprites. Started out making copies of video game sprites, am now using my own pixel art. Much more fun in my opinion, though I still make some copies of video game sprites when I feel like it (or when I'm blanking on a holiday gift for a friend and don't have time to design my own sprite).

Anyway, this thread will only feature beadsprites I made with my own pixel art designs. If you see someone else claiming the art as their own, either they copied it, we came up with the same design, or it's me under a different name on a different website (the likeliest possibility).

Here's a link to my imgur album! I plan to update this album whenever I make something good enough to share, so it should have all my latest work even if you're from a few months in the future. Got some 3D work, some Touhou character sprites, some other character sprites... that's it, mostly!

If you have any ideas for more characters to make, feel free to suggest them! I plan to start working my way through the rest of the Touhou cast once I'm done making props for a project I'm doing. I tend to give these out at conventions (if I can work up the courage to go up to someone/can get someone to give them out for me), so don't worry about me making too many.
well I haven't been here for a while

My avatar was commissioned from this fine person here!

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
Re: [Art] Caterpie's Perler Beadsprites/Pixel Art
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 12:19:47 AM »
Trying to use these forums more. Hope it's okay to post my art after several months of inactivity :V
Don't even worry about it. AAA, more like Seiga's Necro Morgue  :V

Those 3d rooms are pretty cool. I bet you could make a neat diorama of, say, the hakurei shrine, if you put little triangles on the back of characters to stand them up.

e: or clear little prop-up disks, would probably be better for re-using and flexibility and to keep them 2d
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 12:21:55 AM by Mеа »
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 12:55:58 AM »
Those 3d rooms are pretty cool. I bet you could make a neat diorama of, say, the hakurei shrine, if you put little triangles on the back of characters to stand them up.

e: or clear little prop-up disks, would probably be better for re-using and flexibility and to keep them 2d

That'd be fun to make! Haven't really done any fannish stuff in a while, the most recent fan sprites I've made are from January, and the Touhou character sprites are years old (2013/2014-ish). I wanted to make a Junko sprite after LoLK came out, but never followed through with that. Anyway, yeah, dioramas with the character sprites would be super fun if I figured out a way to make them stand up.

I was going to add more images to my album of the 3d props disassembled after it occurred to me that it'd might be interesting for people to see how they were made, but imgur appears to be down for me, so that'll have to wait until I can fix that.

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 04:37:26 PM »
Updated the album. I've adjusted it so the pics from the most recent batch are on top. I've got the disassembled 3D figures plus the human children from Undertale.

Unfortunately, I've been having neck and back pain that is most definitely from hunching over a table putting beads on pegboards, so I'm not gonna be able to make much until I know how to fix my posture. I've always had nasty posture and been OK despite it, but now I've been getting a tingly feeling and pain in my spine, which freaks me out, so I definitely need to change something.

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 04:09:55 PM »
New album! This one for gifts and requests and whatnot that I don't necessarily want people to see before I finish them. None of the people I'm making gifts for frequent these forums (to my knowledge anyway), and if I'm gonna make a gift for someone who does come here I won't put it in this album. So far it's got Hank from Finding Dory, and Soldier 76 and Mei from Overwatch. A movie I haven't seen and a game I haven't played.

And yeah, this is for Christmas/winter holidays. I'm getting a 6 month head start :V

I'm supposed to be on vacation, but I've made 8 beadsprites since getting here on Saturday. Some of them didn't turn out too well, but I can probably post like, 3 more of them if I take decent pictures.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 05:08:41 PM »
Man, those graph paper sketches remind me of what I used to do when I was in high school. Reproduce game sprites with colored pencils; take thing from manuals and Nintendo power screenshots and shits.

Also them some pretty pearlers. I like Mei =]

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 01:51:13 PM »
Thanks! I really like how Mei turned out. I may not play Overwatch but she's my favorite lady.

Updated the holiday gift album with three more sprites I made during my vacation. I burned out around Wednesday, after making nine total, and didn't make any more for the rest of the week. Probably won't make more for a little while now that I'm home, since I need to unpack all my supplies and I'm a terrible procrastinator.