Author Topic: [DORMANT] Shining Shooting Star Accessibility Patch: Polished Shooting Star  (Read 31159 times)

yoshimo

• Impractical Coder
  • Just your neighborhood-friendly Yoshi!
That's unusual. From what I've seen,the game does not come with any BPics; the BPic folder is empty.
Do you have any files in that folder? If this is so, try removing them from the folder; though, I wouldn't delete them; they could be important.
I will also look to see what I can find in how the game loads BPics. Maybe I'll finally learn what they are.

EDIT: So, "BPic" stands for "BulletPicture." It seems that it was designed to be a generic bullet image that could be colored.
The method which loads BPics -- which is also the one that can throw the LoadBPic Error -- checks for PNG images in the "BPic" folder.
It's very obvious that the method would throw errors for any BPic. It tries to put a casted integer in a 2D array of booleans, which I highly believe would be a type mismatch. :ohdear:
If you continue to experience this problem, I'll consider making changes, but it seems like BPics were not meant to be used, so I highly suspect a PNG image found its way into your "BPic" folder.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 07:38:25 PM by yoshimo »
My perception of my work ethics.

That's unusual. From what I've seen,the game does not come with any BPics; the BPic folder is empty.
Do you have any files in that folder? If this is so, try removing them from the folder; though, I wouldn't delete them; they could be important.
I will also look to see what I can find in how the game loads BPics. Maybe I'll finally learn what they are.

EDIT: So, "BPic" stands for "BulletPicture." It seems that it was designed to be a generic bullet image that could be colored.
The method which loads BPics -- which is also the one that can throw the LoadBPic Error -- checks for PNG images in the "BPic" folder.
It's very obvious that the method would throw errors for any BPic. It tries to put a casted integer in a 2D array of booleans, which I highly believe would be a type mismatch. :ohdear:
If you continue to experience this problem, I'll consider making changes, but it seems like BPics were not meant to be used, so I highly suspect a PNG image found its way into your "BPic" folder.

I've redownloaded the game some times, but it keeps happening.
Where is the BPic folder? I can't seem to be able to find it, it may be the problem...

yoshimo

• Impractical Coder
There isn't a BPic folder? That is a problem. That is another way the error could be thrown.
If there is not a BPic folder in the same location as the game, the THSSS program, then you should make one. That should fix the LoadBPic Error.

Thank you, it works now.
It's weird, the BPic folder was with the download, but for some reason it didn't show up in the installation path of the game (I extracted everything... I know because I even did it and even redownloaded it several times) I tried the game and now it finally works, now the game works both patched and unpatched.

Sorry for the trouble, it seems the problem was completely unrelated to the patch or the need to have the patch. (I was tired of trying chinese, japanese and english locales (Spanish computer))

The patch seems compatible with spanish language systems (Since I think I did read it may not be compatible with all), though I barely had time to start playing, so I may get crashes later, thank you again for the help

EDIT: Patched crashed somewhere mid-way stage 1 (with Marisa), I guess it couldn't last... non-patched with chinese locale lags less with inputs, but still crashes at the same point. I guess I'll give up or try to get help later at this game's thread.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 11:52:01 AM by VierMill »

yoshimo

• Impractical Coder
Since you've told me the locale, I can try to replicate the issue and see if I can identify the problem.

You say it crashes midway through Stage 1 while playing as Marisa. Does this happen with other characters? Is it when the midboss shows?

EDIT: I was unable to replicate what you mentioned; however, I've heard that other people experience a similar problem.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 12:24:59 PM by yoshimo »

Re: Shining Shooting Star Accessibility Patch: Polished Shooting Star RC3.3
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2016, 10:02:44 PM »
Hello! I made an account to ask something regarding a bug that I think is related to the crashing you mentioned earlier.

I recently completed the game with Koishi (as in 1ccd) on Normal and yesterday made it to the final boss with Reimu on Hard. However, I played as Marisa and Sanae today on Hard. Marisa's run crashed when the Stage 2 boss appeared at the end, and Sanae's run keeps crashing when the Stage 1 boss appears. I tried Sanae again on Normal and the same thing happened at the end of Stage 1.

What's strange is that these are only two characters that crash. I tried playing Koishi and Reimu again and they seemed to be fine (I stopped at the beginning of Stage 3 for both though). I'm not sure if it's because of the patch because I did patch it with Polished Shooting Star + the current English Patch. Do you have any ideas?

yoshimo

• Impractical Coder
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2016, 05:11:31 AM »
Did you remember to merge the included BGM and Story folders? The game might be crashing because you don't have the files my patch is trying to load.

Here are some clear illustrations that will tell you if you forgot this step.

Inside these folders...

Inside "BGM" you should have these files (and others not shown, but you should see a pattern)

Inside "Story" you should have these files

If you don't have these files, then the game will crash because it can't find them.

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2016, 07:17:46 PM »
When I did that I had thought it meant just placing them in the folder with the game exe. Was I supposed to put them in another folder?

yoshimo

• Impractical Coder
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2016, 10:19:00 PM »
I posted some pictures in my previous post. Are the files I highlighted there?

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2016, 12:33:20 AM »
Yes, they are all in there.

The game still crashes, I just tried again :/

yoshimo

• Impractical Coder
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2016, 02:06:51 AM »
I have identified the problem.
I forgot to put some commas in some of the conversation files.
I'll push a fix momentarily.
Sorry about the trouble!

EDIT: I can't seem to find anything wrong with Marisa's conversations. Looking into it further...
Nope, doesn't crash for me. Once I push the update, could you tell me if Marisa still crashes on Stage 2?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 02:28:09 AM by yoshimo »

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2016, 05:02:46 AM »
I applied the update and it still crashed, however it managed to get a few lines in with Rakuki before crashing this time. I guess that's a step up.

Just tried with Sanae as well; still crashes as soon as the first boss shows up at the end. Maybe I did something wrong? I could try it on a clean copy of the game later.

yoshimo

• Impractical Coder
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2016, 05:43:39 AM »
Well, if you tried to apply the patch on an already-patched application, that's a problem. Otherwise, I'm not exactly certain what the issue is at this point.

Would you mind telling me your computer's locale? That might help me replicate the crash.
Also, are you trying to install the English patch I made as well?

I'm on Japanese locale, and yes, I have the English patch installed as well.

yoshimo

• Impractical Coder
Alright, I will use what you've told me to try to get the crash to occur when I can. Right now, it's getting late, and I have to focus on college work extensively over this week.

Sorry for this inconvenience. If you want to see the translations, you can find them in the translation tables I have. The link to them is in the thread for my English patch.

OH, THIS IS USEFUL.
I just found that the same typo in the file in the accessibility patch is in the English patch.
Try opening "1-1C.csv" in the "Story" folder in a text editor (Notepad should work) and adding two commas to the end of the first line. See if that fixes Sanae crashing.

Didn't work unfortunately.

yoshimo

• Impractical Coder
So I've found that there are more typos than I originally thought.

I found another issue in Sanae's Stage 1 conversation, but only in the English patch.
I'm currently working on updating the English patch to include more up-to-date translations.
I ask for your patience.

yoshimo

• Impractical Coder
Re: Shining Shooting Star Accessibility Patch: Polished Shooting Star
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2016, 07:33:05 PM »
SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST! :ohdear:

This one's for you, Sonrio!

RC3.3.2 fixes crashing related to Marisa's Stage 2 and Sanae's Stage 1 boss conversations.

Now you can actually play through the game as them! Hooray!

« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2016, 07:21:05 PM »
My game used to crash in the middle of the first stage. Then, I went to Windows Regional settings and changed the date format to English(USA). My former format was Brazilian Portuguese.
The game runs just fine now

yoshimo

• Impractical Coder
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2016, 03:07:10 AM »
I have confirmed the presence of this bug, and HOO BOY this is interesting.

I have replicated the the bug of erratic enemies and bullets AND a crash related to the loading of bosses.

This means that thanks to you, I can now pinpoint exactly what the problem is.

I'm still bamboozled by it being caused by formats of all things.

EDIT: I may have identified the boss-crashing issue. The game converts the time remaining for a given spell or cooldown into a 1-point decimal -- only one digit to the right of the decimal point.
The problem with this is some date formats convert this to a comma rather than the expected period. As a result, the game cannot find a texture for a comma in the spellcard timer and crashes.
I'm currently looking into a fix for this. Afterwards, I'll look into the erratic enemy movement.

EDIT 2: Both bugs have been fixed. Everything was related to the differences in how different number systems use commas or periods to represent the decimal points or "-illion marks."
Crashes at bosses were related to the timer being a number with one digit past the decimal point.
Issues with enemies were related to some data being numbers with digits past the decimal point.
For example, the number "0.8" would be interpreted as "8.0." To get the desired result, it would need to be "0,8."
The number "1,000" would be interpreted as "1.0." To get the desired result, it would need to be "1.000."
This is due to the role of commas and periods in numbers being reversed in certain numbering systems.

I am going to promptly contact those who reported unusual issues to see if they still experience the issues once I have uploaded the new patch.

FINAL EDIT: Polished Shooting Star RC4.0 has been released!
This will hopefully finally fix the pesky problem of enemies and bullets not moving correctly!
It also should fix the game crashing when a midboss or boss appears!
An issue plaguing the patch for three months has finally met its demise!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 06:45:37 AM by yoshimo »

yoshimo

• Impractical Coder
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2016, 05:13:42 AM »
Double posting for an update notice.

After continuing to receive complaints of crashes and other strange issues, taking what philipstrife told me, I set out to see if I could find more related issues. Lo and behold, I found more, and they were issues people had reported in the past.

I am happy to say that all previously reported issues should be ironed out in RC4.1! This even includes a newer bug related to boss health not depleting.
I hope these new fixes will allow a whole new audience to actually play this patch!

yoshimo

• Impractical Coder
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2017, 06:14:43 AM »
I LIVE!!

Many apologies for disappearing for so long! College has been crazy and I've been suffering my usual "demotivation syndrome."

See, what really drove me into the ground was not being able to reasonably get update to you guys, so I'm uploading my content to GitHub! Now I can make hotfixes without having to prepare an entirely new zip for you guys!

For those of you downloading this for the English patch, I will be making a GitHub for that, too.

Now, I am aware of a bug caused on some locales which causes the Extra Stage to still have erratic enemies and bullets. This one is really hidden, so I have not been able to fix it yet. I hope I can get back to finding the source of the bug, but for now, it does not prevent the player from reaching the end of the Extra Stage, so I am putting it on lower priority compared to my other projects. Keep in mind that this means that if you experience this bug, any replays you make of the Extra Stage will be desynchronized!

Give me a moment to update the OP, too!

« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2017, 01:50:55 PM »
Can I use Config.exe with this patch? I want to switch the game from fullscreen to window mode, but Config.exe crashes as same as game without patch itself.

UPD: it can be changed directly through Setting.INI
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 01:54:33 PM by sibgamer »
Easy: PoDD, FW, LoLK
Normal: SoEW, UFO, HSiFS
Hard: LLS, MS, EoSD, PoFW, MoF, SA, TD, DDC
Lunatic: PCB, IN
Extra: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, DDC, HSiFS; Phantasm

« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2017, 04:36:59 PM »
This game doesn't play other people's replays. I broke my scorefile and can't run my replays, because new empty scorefile doesn't contain info about existing replays. Yoshimo, can you fix this behaviour?
Easy: PoDD, FW, LoLK
Normal: SoEW, UFO, HSiFS
Hard: LLS, MS, EoSD, PoFW, MoF, SA, TD, DDC
Lunatic: PCB, IN
Extra: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, DDC, HSiFS; Phantasm

yoshimo

• Impractical Coder
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2017, 06:13:43 PM »
This patch does not affect Config.exe. I do not have plans to support this since I cannot seem to disassemble the program.

As for replays, this does not surprise me. I changed the way conversations are loaded, so it is likely that there will be discrepancies. The only reason there was no warning in the OP is because I was not certain if this did cause desynch with replays. With your complaint, I will add this warning. Unfortunately, there is no way to fix this.