Author Topic: New Chinese Touhou fanime  (Read 13817 times)

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
New Chinese Touhou fanime
« on: June 16, 2016, 01:00:56 AM »
Danbooru Link to the PV

According to the comments:
Some backstory:

The Chinese circle niikyouzou is currently working on a Touhou anime called 'Touhou Hakureisou'.
It apparently is going to be a slice-of-life anime set in an alternate universe, in which Gensokyo is an apartment complex, Reimu is the landlady, and the other usual characters are various residents.
The initial release will be of a comic with the main story, and a DVD containing this opening. The anime episode itself will be released at a later date.

The PV is just insane. Look at the tags. SO MANY MEMES.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 01:02:33 AM by Failure McFailFace »
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

Re: New Chinese Touhou fanime
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 03:35:28 AM »
Prediction: this will suck because of all of the really annoying le epic maymays.
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

Drake

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 04:33:03 AM »
I think as long as they stay true to their intentions and just straight up meme the fuck out of everything, they will do well. One big reason people were put off from the Memories of Phantasm episodes is because they tried to have a serious story with some drama, yet also pander with memes and fanservice at the same time, so it felt disconnected and gross. Meanwhile, its PVs were almost all well-received because they were properly focused. This reminds me a bit of how IOSYS focused themselves during their golden age of PVs, and I think there's promise.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 05:28:39 AM »
I'm always seriously off-put by fanworks that throw away the setting, which is arguably Touhou's greatest strength. This sounds more fun than yet another inane Touhou School thing though, so maybe it will justify that weird choice.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 06:18:44 AM »
I think as long as they stay true to their intentions and just straight up meme the fuck out of everything, they will do well. One big reason people were put off from the Memories of Phantasm episodes is because they tried to have a serious story with some drama, yet also pander with memes and fanservice at the same time, so it felt disconnected and gross. Meanwhile, its PVs were almost all well-received because they were properly focused. This reminds me a bit of how IOSYS focused themselves during their golden age of PVs, and I think there's promise.

I disagree, i feel that IOSYS indirectly caused a lot of damage to the western fandom's (And possibly the eastern fandom as well) perception of gensokyo with all those unfunny memes. Tsundere Alice, Short Eiki that sends everyone to hell for the most minor reasons. Ran as a pedophile. Sakuya abusing Meiling. It took years for the fandom to grow out of these stupid perceptions. Thanks to IOSYS.
So, i really don't like what IOSYS did to the fandom, and i really don't want it to happen again with this mess of an fanimie. No matter how "Properly Focused" it is.
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 07:08:25 AM »
Imma agree with Drake, keeping light-hearted and funny will be what keeps it from getting lame.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 07:10:47 AM »
I disagree, i feel that IOSYS indirectly caused a lot of damage to the western fandom's (And possibly the eastern fandom as well) perception of gensokyo with all those unfunny memes. Tsundere Alice, Short Eiki that sends everyone to hell for the most minor reasons. Ran as a pedophile. Sakuya abusing Meiling. It took years for the fandom to grow out of these stupid perceptions. Thanks to IOSYS.
So, i really don't like what IOSYS did to the fandom, and i really don't want it to happen again with this mess of an fanimie. No matter how "Properly Focused" it is.
You're making it sound like IOSYS came up with those memes in the first place, which isn't exactly accurate. They just made PV based on those memes (like almost every other fan circle usually does).

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 07:29:02 AM »
Looks fun, I'll definitely take a peek at this once it's released in it's entirety.

One big reason people were put off from the Memories of Phantasm episodes is because they tried to have a serious story with some drama

I was one of those people. When it came to Hifuu Club Activity Record, I'm not going to bother with investing heavily in something that is lore heavy and political when it is not even something that is an official work. I am sure there is a market for that kind of stuff for those that are really into the Lunarian side of Touhou but for me it was something that was kind of daunting to try and make sense of for a fanime.

I'm going to give this fanime a chance since it looks fun, good for a laugh and it involves all of our favorite characters that are true to their character but are just in a different setting. I'm getting some Excel Saga vibes from that trailer and I thought that Excel Saga was bloody brilliant for what it was... batshit insane comedy anime. I personally love the fan memes for all the characters so this should be good for what it is... comedy anime.

Well, IOSYS and their flash music videos was what got me interested in Touhou in the first place and a lot of the western attention to Touhou as well. The official ZUN Touhou and the fan Touhou side I see as two sides of the same coin and all fans worth their fanaticism can tell the difference and appreciate both for what they are. I mean, the fan side is a legitimate side to have because the amount of fan works out there of varying kinds is in the MILLIONS!!!

Nobody is ever going to take your official Touhou away from you Old Guy. Some of us just want to have fun playing around with the characters and filling in the blanks that ZUN has yet to fill in.

Sakuya abusing Meiling.

Sakuya and patchy beat Meiling awake in Meiling's Hisoutensoku ending. It's not like the abuse thing was something that was 100% made up by the fan community. Kind of like the glutton Yuyuko meme due to her constantly making jokes about eating everything in Imperishable Night.

Drake

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 07:54:06 AM »
IOSYS didn't perpetuate these things in the fandom; the fandom perpetuated them by themselves by liking IOSYS' content and turning them into viral vectors. The fact that many fans were introduced to Touhou from parody videos is a mixed blessing, but that is unarguably a major point of Touhou's success, and the fact that these sorts of parody videos are openly accepted in the first place is a resounding feat of doujin culture.

Obviously I get the concern that tons of people may only know Touhou for memes, and if anyone were to be upset by people's understanding of the Touhou universe being corrupted by viral influence you know I'd be at the top of that list, but that doesn't make these things unfunny or something to be avoided.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 07:56:39 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 08:06:59 AM »
IOSYS didn't perpetuate these things in the fandom; the fandom perpetuated them by themselves by liking IOSYS' content and turning them into viral vectors. The fact that many fans were introduced to Touhou from parody videos is a mixed blessing, but that is unarguably a major point of Touhou's success, and the fact that these sorts of parody videos are openly accepted in the first place is a resounding feat of doujin culture.
Thats why i said indirectly caused damage to the fandom. But otherwise you make a good point.
That said, there are other reasons to dislike IOSYS. I personally find those videos to be really annoying and unfunny for one. Like that Ran pedophile one.

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2016, 09:01:44 AM »
If you don't like IOSYS stuff then I definitely know you won't like Innocent Key's stuff.  ;)

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2016, 09:17:14 AM »
Ah yes. Innocent Key. They also utilize memes but go a little bit further in terms of fan service if I am not mistaking.

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 09:27:12 AM »
One of their album covers has marisa and reimu about to be raped by tentacles.

So fuck them.

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 09:32:44 AM »
Poor, misunderstood tentacles, they merely do what their instincts tell them to.
Рабинович глядит на плакат ?Ленин умер, но дело его живет!?
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2016, 10:45:53 AM »
I'm not the hugest fan of memes, but I think parodies like this have a place, especially as a necessary counterbalance to self-serious (and frankly a bit dull) works like the other Chinese fanime. I would say I'm looking forward to this, after watching the PV. It probably helps that it's so blatantly absurd that you can't take it seriously at all, unlike stuff like Tsundere Alice which you might mistake for actual characterization as a newcomer.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2016, 11:13:43 AM »
It is a good thing these fan animes take a bit more effort and work compared to the IOSYS / IK flash videos with limited animation. Nothing against the actual artistic work and effort. But I am pretty sure when making something more grand, you don't try to fuck it up. Well, Phantasm Memories somehow did as Drake had mentioned.

Perhaps the this fan circle will learn from the mistakes others made so there is absolutely no reason to start bashing it already, lol. (People are so quick to judge and get upset these days).

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2016, 12:20:32 PM »
I dunno, I think it looks fun as hell.

I think a lot of fandoms - Touhou included - can be prone to this kind of overserious gatekeeper mentality; like the fandom is some Sooper Seekrit Klub, or the object of our fandom must be enjoyed in accordance to canon, or it's some kind of bad thing that people get into Touhou because of memes. I think it's pointless to be frustrated about people being drawn to Touhou because of memes. First, because I think even many of today's "serious" fans learned about Touhou through memery, and also, because I don't think most Touhou fans stay locked in the meme stage forever. And even if they did, who cares?

Not everyone's going to enjoy the things you like the same way, and even if I rolled my eyes at some of the Oppai Magic in that PV, I just can't get mad at people making genuine efforts to contribute to the community.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2016, 12:27:56 PM »
People are too quick to call for memes when it looks more like a parody. I see memes as quick, cheap and sometimes effortless humor that concentrates on one aspect of a character blown to oblivion, and I don't think you can create an anime based on that with Touhou, because it would become boring very quickly and people would be angered.

I think these guys are aware that a cheap effort from them would not be appreciated, and I like the setting they made here, so I look forward to it. Supernatural people that try to act normal are among what I like the most in terms of ideas, and Touhou can definitely fit in that concept.

And if you don't like it... Don't watch it, I guess. They put enough effort into it to gain respect for me, at the very least.

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2016, 03:49:16 PM »
I wish they'd tone down the fanservice, but then again I always wish for that in everything. And it doesn't seem like it'll be as bad as Memories of Phantasm was in that regard, anyway, and it looks like it's going to be pretty funny, so I'll be a bit more optimistic about how this will turn out.
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

Reu

• Ambitious Youkai
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2016, 05:37:55 PM »
Danbooru Link to the PV

According to the comments:
The PV is just insane. Look at the tags. SO MANY MEMES.
I will likely watch it if it actually comes out, as far as parodies and memes go I honestly don't have much issue with it. I never did have any issue with Innocent Key and IOSYS's works, and hell some of it was catchy or funny, most memes are just jokes based off of the series iirc, its not their fault people take it too serious in some parts of the fanbase. With something like this it was explicitly stated that this is something that takes place in a alternate universe so its already not taking itself too seriously(not like it needed to be said for most people), so long as it gives me some laughs I'll be fine with it existing, at least its something different from the previous anime releases.
Sometimes Streams at Hitbox.tv/Reu

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2016, 09:05:37 AM »
The trailer has ample cameo of the post-UFO materials. That counts as very cool in my book, even if the post-UFO characters probably won't play important roles in the full story.
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2016, 10:59:35 AM »
There's a story?

But if there is a story, and the trailer can be used at all as a reference to it, then it seems like Sumireko is the villain who they all join up to fight against.

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2016, 12:06:14 PM »
>Alternate universe

They already set up the setting before it even got complicated.

Looks fine, decent and smooth animation, atleast. I'll prolly watch, however I still can't get used with Chinese voices in their animations, even though I watched a number of them already, they're 2squeeky4me.

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2016, 08:20:11 PM »
Looks fine, decent and smooth animation, atleast. I'll prolly watch, however I still can't get used with Chinese voices in their animations, even though I watched a number of them already, they're 2squeeky4me.
I'd be interested to see where I can find other works from them, in order to see what they're capable of, outside PVs and on a longer format. Because for the moment, everything I found was their Bilibili page and it only has short PVs: http://space.bilibili.com/636723/#!/index

Edit, after readling Lunasa's post: I was more specifically talking about animated attempts, since [En]glish Muffin talked about "their animations" (he might have mistook them for another circle). But Lunasa's suggestions can be good enough to gauge their writing skills at least. Thank you for the links.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 02:10:06 PM by Dioxaz »
FM synthesis rocks. My blog.

MetalStudios

• The Paladin of Phantasm
  • One day I'll get better
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2016, 01:15:48 PM »
I can dig it
They already set the tone of the series to be light-hearted and relativity goofy so I think it'll work, unlike MoP which had super serious trailers and then the actually series ended up being...... I dunno? quirky? is that a good word I don't English very good?
Also they've already went and made Sakuya into DIO so 10/10 in my book
Also I like what they're doing with Reimu and Sanae's rivalry
I"ll keep my eye out for this one, hopefully we can finally have a good quality and consistent Touhou fanime
"Do you believe in gravity? That there's a reason why we meet?"

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2016, 08:33:55 PM »
I'd be interested to see where I can find other works from them, in order to see what they're capable of, outside PVs and on a longer format. Because for the moment, everything I found was their Bilibili page and it only has short PVs: http://space.bilibili.com/636723/#!/index
There is the Touhou Hakureisou doujinshi:
http://www.melonbooks.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=IT0000173791
https://www.melonbooks.co.jp/detail/detail.php?product_id=111589
https://www.melonbooks.co.jp/detail/detail.php?product_id=164374

Also, if I'm not mistaken, an "After Story" doujinshi was sold along with the PV and other material.
https://world.taobao.com/item/531768100780.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a1z10.1-c.w4024-10038468751.1.rRgQub&scene=taobao_shop

CenturyEgg

• Gentle older sister types are the best!
    • My world cosplay account
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2016, 01:24:42 AM »
I think the premise for the new animation isn't too bad. If we had every derivative work locked too firmly in canon that would be pretty bad for variety and I doubt we would see the scale of the fandom we enjoy today.

CenturyEgg

• Gentle older sister types are the best!
    • My world cosplay account
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2017, 03:18:31 AM »
This is pretty old news but I thought I would just place this here as a form of archival. There was a short PV released last year for Hakureisou.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz0GdF9eo8A english subs
http://www.bilibili.com/video/av6271638/ original bili bili url

I also ordered the doujins directly from the circle via their taobao account. The content is in chinese but I am really liking what I see. The crown prince in the doujin is hands down one of my favourite renditions of Miko. I really hope they stick close to the storyline established in the doujins. As we expected, it is a pretty light hearted and humorous comic, with excellent artwork and comedic timing.