Author Topic: Touhou developers to be guests of NIS America at Anime Expo (July 1-4, 2016)  (Read 39109 times)

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
In the currently ongoing Nikenme Radio livestream, Uni Akiyama had stated that he and ZUN will be away for Los Angeles from the end of June to July 7.

Given the timing, they will most likely be there for Anime Expo 2016.

We should probably keep close watch on Anime Expo 2016 news for a formal announcement.

UPDATE3:
Fan game panel video and ZUN panel video; collected tweets; an English transcript and Japanese transcript; MotK thread.

UPDATE2:
NISA's schedule, including panels, cosplay gatherings, and autograph sessions. Panel information:
[PANEL] 8:15PM ? 9:15PM, Defining Doujin and Creating Games for the Touhou Universe @ LP3/LACC 408AB
With Touhou Project video game titles headed to a console for the very first time, the creator of Touhou Genso Rondo: Bullet Ballet, Yuro, and the creator of Touhou Genso Wanderer, JYUNYA, will discuss how they first delved into the Touhou Project universe and explain their experiences with creating and developing their games.

[PANEL] 9:30PM ? 10:30PM, One Man, One Universe: ZUN and the creation of the Touhou Universe @ LP3/LACC 408AB
ZUN has created an entire universe?by himself. ZUN is quite the renaissance man, creating a world known as Touhou Project with his company, Team Shanghai Alice, a Japanese doujin game developer specializing in the shoot ?em up genre. So how does one man manage to be a general producer, game designer, character designer, and a music/sound producer? ZUN himself will discuss how his Touhou Project was created and how it has evolved through the years.

UPDATE1:
NISA has announced their special guests for Anime Expo, which include ZUN, Yuro and JYUNYA. More info will probably be released on June 24.
ZUN
Creator of the Touhou Project
ZUN is the founder and sole member of Team Shanghai Alice, and is the designer, programmer, script writer, and composer of the extremely popular Touhou Project series. With more than 15 official entries, the series has become famous for its doujin culture; ZUN allows creative license to the characters and world, which has allowed fans to expand Touhou?s reach into numerous genres beyond its start as a bullet hell game.

Yuro Kyoya
Director of Touhou Genso Rondo: Bullet Ballet, Member of CUBETYPE
Yuro is the director of the highly anticipated shoot ?em up fighter game Touhou Genso Rondo: Bullet Ballet, and a member of CUBETYPE, the studio behind the title! In this bullet-hell action game, players take on the role of a Touhou girl and face off in one-on-one battles against other characters in a colorful display of deadly bullets and melee attacks. This will be the first time Yuro visits America, and he is very excited to share his thoughts on the Touhou Project, as well as his visions of Touhou titles he anticipates to create in the future!

JYUNYA
Director of Touhou Genso Wanderer, Representative of AQUASTYLE
JYUNYA is the director of Touhou Genso Wanderer and the representative for the development team on this highly anticipated title. This Roguelike RPG features tons of content and highly evolved controls that put you directly in charge of the action! Furthermore, for fans of the Touhou Project, the story sequences feature numerous Touhou characters, which all combine to make this a Touhou game that cannot be missed! Since this will be JYUNYA?s first time in America, be sure to visit this exclusive Touhou panel, so you will not only get to know JYUNYA, but also find out what his thoughts and future plans are for new games!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 05:45:26 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

cuc

Yeah like I said.
ZUN also said he "will not be in Japan on July 3". As he mentioned he's "looking forward to all sorts of events" in this blog update, this seems a good reason for leaving Japan.

Could he visit America again for Anime Expo (Jul 1-4), or Anime Midwest (Jul 8-10)? Could it be Japan Expo (Jul 6-10) at Paris, an event that's definitely very interested in Japanese subculture stars like him? There's also Seoul's SICAF 2016 (Jul 6-10).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 01:09:00 PM by cuc »

Drake

You sure you aren't actually a satori?

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
Or a wizard.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
He is a true apprentice of Aya, always in for the scoops and juicy news. Accurate news actually.

commandercool

• alter cool
Hmm,  this is going to be messy.  I semi-resolved to fly to anywhere in the US where ZUN would be making an appearance this summer, but Los Angeles is farther than expected.  I'll have to think on this one.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Start preparing your ZUN cosplay everybody! I hope to see crowds of flowery shirts and flat caps as far as the eye can see!  :V

We should probably keep close watch on Anime Expo 2016 news for a formal announcement.

Has there been any news of him planning to participate in any of the events at Anime Expo? For all we know he might simply go there as part of the crowd and chill (well, if he did do that then he probably wouldn't announce it on radio, would he).

james7132

• Sleepyhead Programmer
http://nisamerica.com/blog/special-guests-anime-expo

Seems like it's confirmed. He's going to be at AX with the NISA folks.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 08:47:40 PM by james7132 »

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
    • Danmaku!! Official Site
I wasn't nervous about going to AX before but now I am.  Help.

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
I wasn't nervous about going to AX before but now I am.  Help.
AWA '13 goer here to help. 

He's totally cool and approachable(though I did not actually speak to him myself I saw his interactions with others).  No need to be nervous or anything.  Just relax, and enjoy the cool opportunity!  = D
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

commandercool

• alter cool
Ah. Fuck. Shit. I'm going through a weird patch at work so I shouldn't spend money right now but I really want to spend money on this aaaaah.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

yomichiyu

• party up in here
Ooh, I'm definitely gonna find him whenever I can, and hopefully get a picture with him. But seeing him in-person is good enough for me. I do wonder if he'll drop by the Touhou Cosplay Gathering on Sunday though. I know NISA will be helping out (or at least from what I heard) with the cut-outs they have so there should be a good chance he'll drop by since he'll be with the NISA people.

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
Welp.  Looks like I'll be at AX then.

cuc

Yup, I've been eyeing NIS America since I noticed that they were not present at this year's E3 (unlike XSEED), but instead already has an Art Show Contest planned for Anime Expo 2016.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 08:22:01 AM by cuc »

RuneDevros

• Professor Dr. Momoneko-sama
    • Lost Sky Project
Ooh, I'm definitely gonna find him whenever I can, and hopefully get a picture with him. But seeing him in-person is good enough for me. I do wonder if he'll drop by the Touhou Cosplay Gathering on Sunday though. I know NISA will be helping out (or at least from what I heard) with the cut-outs they have so there should be a good chance he'll drop by since he'll be with the NISA people.

What's this about Touhou cosplay gathering? I'm planning on being there (as Forbidden Scrollery Mamizou)

1.0.0 is here (2/13/14) |  My Twitter | My Tumblr

AJS

• Danmakufu Scripter
Dangit, why they gotta wait for badge prices to get hiked up so much before announcing the sole reason I'd wanna go to this con.

Welp, no time to complain...*begrudgingly pulls out wallet*

yomichiyu

• party up in here
What's this about Touhou cosplay gathering? I'm planning on being there (as Forbidden Scrollery Mamizou)
It's something they do every year (at least for all the years I've been at AX). This year, it'll be on Sunday, at 3 PM.

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
I don't think I noticed any specific thing about nis america in the schedule, but does anyone know which day and what time he'll be doing whatever he's doing?
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
I don't think I noticed any specific thing about nis america in the schedule, but does anyone know which day and what time he'll be doing whatever he's doing?
NISA has a Monday panel, but ZUN's activity there or elsewhere has not been specifically announced.

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
Oh, well as long as he was officially announced as a guest I'm guessing he's gonna at least do something interesting. However minor.
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

cuc

Drake

Oh god the event lineup is so much better now.

ZUN is quite the renaissance man, creating a world known as Touhou Project with his company, Team Shanghai Alice, a Japanese doujin game developer specializing in the shoot ?em up genre.
lmaooo writers

Oh god the event lineup is so much better now.
lmaooo writers

That.... that's definately one of the more extreme examples of "Technically true but somehow still misleading anyways" things I've seen, lately.

Drake

I'm like 90% confident the writer saw "ZUN belongs to Team Shanghai Alice" and "Touhou is made by ZUN alone" and just filled in the blanks like a noob

TSA isn't a company either  :derp:

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
His wife helps him with the games, so it is a two-man team.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
She doesn't do much more than beta test for the most part though, which he has a few other people do as well. When it comes down to the actual content of the games though, it's all him.

Drake

ZUN is incredibly secretive about his games up until testing and release, to seemingly everyone. Ki-san didn't even know what the game's title was when ZUN had announced LoLK.

Sedrife

• Amateur Touhou Piano Player
  • イケメンFlan is the new hype
    • Touhou Piano Project
I'm like 90% confident the writer saw "ZUN belongs to Team Shanghai Alice" and "Touhou is made by ZUN alone" and just filled in the blanks like a noob

TSA isn't a company either  :derp:

Perhaps as Touhou franchise is becoming more related to major industries, we are seeing the thinning line of ZUN being a sole member of Team Shanghai Alice vs. being a founder of Korindo Co.,Ltd (株式会社香林堂).

Can't help but feel that members of the Korindo Co. Ltd. (Ruw, NKZ, D.N.A., etc) are more and more getting involved in their roles in Touhou as a company franchise and Touhou is becoming more industrialized.

On the other hand, ZUN will have some drink right before leaving to America for the 2nd time.  He will talk about the 2nd release of the magazine and how he feels about going to Anime Expo in his 70th Nikenme Radio. (6/28 20:00 JST)

https://twitter.com/korindo/status/747230129068212225

I wonder what happened to Uni Akiyama going to America with ZUN and he is off the guest list.  Perhaps we will get some answers in the Nikenme Raido.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 04:05:51 PM by Sedrife »

She doesn't do much more than beta test for the most part though, which he has a few other people do as well. When it comes down to the actual content of the games though, it's all him.

As I recall, he actually goes out of his way to avoid having discussions about programming or game design with her, since he doesn't want disagreements over work to spill into his private life.

Drake

In today's Nikenme, mostly reported by @tara_touhou:
ZUN: "After Anime Expo I'm going to to San Francisco. There's a publisher there that has said they want to interview me."
Wonder what this could be about.

ZUN has also noticed that a lot of people are saying his announcement to come to AX was way too late. Oops, I guess? Apparently he's been slacking, as he still hasn't even bought a suitcase either.

ZUN: "There'll be a special edition for the next Forbidden Scrollery. It'll include an artbook by Moe-san and a CD by me."

Okonogi: "Are you getting the feeling to end Forbidden Scrollery?"
ZUN: "That'll be around the time Comp-Ace stops running, right?"
Well, that answers that question. Kosuzu foreverrrr

They showed the second issue of Garai Ihen. Length is about the same, still mostly lots of text (as was briefly made fun of). As we already know, there are articles that focus on the EoSD~IN trio. After each game article, there will be more about the origins of various ideas in the games (e.g. vampires, the monk Saigyou). There is also an interview with U2, as has already been announced in the previous Nikenme.

ZUN: "While we had announced the second issue with the first, we shouldn't be making early announcements about things that haven't been fully planned out yet, so there's no announcement with this one. Well, that doesn't mean there won't be a next issue, either."
this is the face of true irony

@enjou_7743: "The character introductions will be Remilia, Flandre, Patchouli, Meiling, Youmu, Yuyuko, Yukari, Ran, Chen, Reisen, Tewi, Kaguya, Eirin, Alice, and... one last that I couldn't catch"

The second issue's CD will have Occult ? la Carte Occult Attract (new?), Retribution for the Eternal Night, and Last Occultism. Interesting picks. Last Occultism is actually said to be its full version.

And as a closing tweet,
ZUN: "I'll be going to have fun in America; hopefully their energy will rub off on me. And of course, I hope you'll be interested in Garai Ihen's second issue, even if it is just full of words."
wouldn't have it any other way
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 03:28:30 PM by Drake »