Author Topic: It's The Most Zerkerful Time Of The Year! Final Fantasy 5 Four Job Fiesta 2016!  (Read 42392 times)

Axel Ryman

• Fear me
Please don't use the mobile/Steam version of FFV but if you do hate yourself that much it's on sale right now.

(But seriously its only redeeming qualities are the enemy sprites, and having the Amano portraits at a nice resolution. Everything else looks like a shitty RPG Maker game and they "fixed" a lot of things in ways that render a lot of bosses basically impossible for some Fiesta teams that could handle them on previous versions.)

EDIT: My bad why did I think it has fast-forward built in, it totally doesn't. It does have an auto-battle option though.

Also! Regardless of your platform of choice, consider prepping a save up through getting the Wind Crystal jobs to save time when the Fiesta starts (and save it in a separate slot if you think you might do multiple runs).

PC has it's merits. In fact, for early game, it is the best version for a Quadzerker team dealing with Sandworm since you don't need to grind against him to the 40s just to stand a chance. Of course, Neo Exdeath sucks, but when doesn't he with Quadzerker?

BTW I spent way too much time tonight translating Garlyle's handbook from SNES names for everything to GBA names. (And I presume the mobile/PC ports use the GBA translation as well?)

I may make some edits myself (considering adding in steals/drops for a few things you can get elsewhere but might want that way for whatever reason, also considering a proofreading pass on mechanical stuff). Also please point out if there's anywhere my liberal use of find and replace exploded anything hilariously; I did at least have the presence of mind to avoid e.g. "twBlizzard" if only because of how much gear actually does have "Ice" in the name. :V

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
and they "fixed" a lot of things in ways that render a lot of bosses basically impossible for some Fiesta teams that could handle them on previous versions.)

Is there actually a good reference of iOS changes available now somewhere?  I'm interested in digging through if there is.

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
Reiterpallasch on SomethingAwful apparently made this year a nice little tool that condenses a lot of useful hints and tips down to what's potentially available to your job makeup. (Including things to not worry about doing if you don't have the applicable jobs.)
I plugged in my team from last year (Knight, Mystic Knight, Beastmaster, Chemist) and it went "haha you win."

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Axel Ryman

• Fear me
Is there actually a good reference of iOS changes available now somewhere?  I'm interested in digging through if there is.

A guide on CaveOfNarshe lists many of the differences. I'll just post the changes here.

Apart from updates graphics and all that jazz, there are several minor gameplay
changes compared to the GBA game. I've also seen some changes in damage; given
the same situation, it seems certain attacks deal more damage or have a
different hit rate. In general, certain magic attacks seem to do more damage
and blockable magical attacks seem to miss more often. Since I do not have the
same data I have for the Super Famicom and GBA games, and cannot say with the
same amount of certainty what is going on. Information would be appreciated.

- Attacks and Action Abilities:

The Geomancer's !Gaia ability is now able to conjure all four terrain-bound
attacks regardless of the caster's level. The exact mechanics of this new
new feature is unknown. Some testing gave me the theory that rather then
choose a random number between 0 and the caster's level to determine what
attack to perform, it choose a random number between 0 and 99. The new
incarnation of !Gaia seems to heavily favor the attacks your previously

The Samurai's !Mineuchi now works correctly, setting Paralyze while dealing
50% !Attack damage.

The Beastmaster's !Calm functions correctly in that in works against Magic
Beasts.

The Monk's !Kick now ignores Row, both target Row and attacker's Row. This
makes it better. It is however not boosted by Kaiser Knuckles, so that balances
it out somewhat.

Vampire correctly deals ((max HP - current HP) / 2) damage like it did in
the Super Famicom game. It will now miss versus Heavy targets, an illogical
change that is likely a bug.

The Bee Swarm attack that may be used with the Ranger's !Animals ability now
sets Poison to the targets it hits.

Power Drink functions correctly.

Dragoon's !Jump only takes 10 ABP to learn rather than 50 like it does in
the GBA and Super Famicom games.

Several previously unblockable attacks are now no longer unblockable.
Examples include Breath Wing, Blaze, Lightning, Surge Beam, Death Potion and
Dark Sigh.

- Monsters:

The ArcheoAevis fight gives you all five dropped items at the end, not
only one like it did in the GBA game.

Exdeath and Dragon Pod now correclty have Regen set during your boss battles
with them.

Lamia no longer singles out male characters with her Entice attack in the
Flying Ruins.

Tyrannosaur now counters all spells with Poison Breath.

- Items:

Twin Lance now deals damage twice with !Jump, !Focus, !Mineuchi, Sword Dance
and possibly !Rapid Fire. This makes the weapon that much more awesome.
since it already deals doubly damage with !Jump, this thing will deal
tremendous damage with a Jumping Thief or Ninja.

The Dancing Dagger, when paired with Dual-Wield, does not replace the normal
strike of the weapon in the other hand, meaning that a character with both the
Dancing Dagger and another weapon equipped can use any of the four Dances,
followed or preceded by a normal Attack. In the case of Sword Dance, that
means that the weapon can strike twice; once with the 400% damage and once
normally. If a monster is killed with the Jitterbug Dance but subsequently
struck by the second weapon, this can result in a harmless graphic glitch.

The Thief Knife, when using !Capture, will strike with both weapons. Combined
with Dual-Wield, that can mean the off-hand weapon will strike twice; once
as part of !Capture, once with !Fight.

The Defender Knightsword can no longer be used as an item to cast Protect.

The Mirage Vest no longer re-applies Image (1) when you swap equipment mid-
battle.

The Lilith Rod now either makes the user use !Flirt or casts Osmose, rather
then apply a !Flirt-like effect upon a hit, then possibly casting Osmose in
addition to that effect.

The Magic Lamp will can now summon Fat Chocobo when it summons Chocobo's, and
whenever Catoblepas is summoned, it's petrifying gaze targets all monsters.
Egg Chop still displays no graphics...

Battle System:

The ATB Bar no longer resets when Confuse or Berserk is set, and Haste and
Slow no longer affect the starting position of the ATB bar. Instead, these
speed-altering statuses affect how fast the ATB bar will fill. The effect feels
as is Haste and Slow are equally as effective as they were.

MP damage and healing is colour-coded for your convenience; MP damage is
purple, MP healing is blue.

You can tap any character with a full ATB bar and have his or her turn come
up, allowing you to skip characters.

Status ailments and magical status have an effect on enemy sprites, allowing
you to clearly identify if a monster has been afflicted with a certain status
or not.

Resist (elemental) Potions, Dragon Shield and Elemental Power no longer reset
when you touch equipment in-battle.

Berserk status, including innate abilities taught and sported by the Berserker,
will have the character attack enemies from front to back rather than entirely
random.

There's some more undocumented changes though that I found out when playing the game.

1: Aegis Shield isn't as amazing as it used to be. It doesn't block as often, and a number of moves it seems to no longer block, like Shinryu's Tidal Wave.

2: Exdeath's White Hole attack needs to be blocked on both the Petrification side and the Instant Death side to block. No longer can you just block it using an Aegis Shield

3: Neo Exdeath's Grand Cross will always inflict a status ailment on you based around the ones you're not immune to. So if you're wearing a Ribbon, Bone Mail, and Hermes Sandals, expect to be hit by something that can't just be blocked. Like HP Leak.

4: Weapons that cast spells while attacking, like Death Sickle, can still have the spell activate if the attack itself misses. The spell can still hit

5: Spell animations, even when blocked/missing, will still play out.

6:  [The Best Change] SANDWORM IS NOT IN THE BACK ROW ANYMORE!!! [At least in the Front Hole. Can't speak for the other 2]

7: This one might just be me, but I noticed that Dancing Dagger uses Sword Dance more often now.

8: A number of the counters to Omega's counter [1 damage target with 3 Reflect Rings for Thundaga, Reflecting Search back onto Omega and attacking him during it, etc] no longer work, and he will counter your party. HAVE FUN!!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 05:17:54 PM by Axel Ryman »

jester147

• Touhou, Rhythm Game, JRPG fan
Going to join the Fiesta again, but not sure which mode to pick.

Any suggestions? :D

Axel Ryman

• Fear me
Going to join the Fiesta again, but not sure which mode to pick.

Any suggestions? :D

Chaos No 750 Upgrade Berserker Risk

Or you can try to figure out the secret registration command  :V

There's some more undocumented changes though that I found out when playing the game.

The big one that it neither it nor you mention that stone-cold fucks over a lot of team comps is that Omniscient can Return with 0 MP.

And while berserked.

AND ALSO APPARENTLY IF HIS OWN LIBRA REFLECTS OFF YOU?!

(though admittedly I'm never good at remembering which shit you need to get past Fork Tower for and I know a lot of it is magic for magic teams and magic.)

jester147

• Touhou, Rhythm Game, JRPG fan
Nah, I think I will try Upgrade for another run

CHAOS RUN BERSERKER RISK GO!

Edit: Aw shit I accidentally entered Upgrade anyway... It can't be retracted? orz

Edit2: It can, phew.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 07:13:54 PM by jester147 »

Axel Ryman

• Fear me
The big one that it neither it nor you mention that stone-cold fucks over a lot of team comps is that Omniscient can Return with 0 MP.

And while berserked.

(though admittedly I'm never good at remembering which shit you need to get past Fork Tower for and I know a lot of it is magic for magic teams and magic.)

Haven't fought Omniscient on PC, so I wouldn't know, but now I'm curious to test some things out.

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds

And while berserked.

I guess if you need ALL THE WEAPONS for whatever reason.  Or your only mage is White Mage which is very possible (ask me how I know!) so have fun with that kids!

Or your only mage is White Mage which is very possible (ask me how I know!) so have fun with that kids!

To be fair can't you just spam actual Silence then :V

Axel Ryman

• Fear me
To be fair can't you just spam actual Silence then :V

During my PC Quadzerker run, I think someone mentioned he could still cast Reset through Silence. Though I think that might of only be for Silence from Mage Mashers.

During my PC Quadzerker run, I think someone mentioned he could still cast Reset through Silence. Though I think that might of only be for Silence from Mage Mashers.

Yeah I 100% for sure Silence !Spellblade-d him to death last year. Also Silence does not last very long on him so it's really easy to have it wear off on you unless you're applying it every hit like that would.

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
All these mentions of the PC version screwing over boss strategies (especially against Omniscient... ughh, at least for physical teams he's optional) makes me glad I usually stick to the GBA version when I run the Fiesta. Also I prepped my four save slots (just in case I end up being seeing and try to do like four runs or something), ready to pop the wind crystal jobs in a little over a week. :'D
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

Boo.

I've got my save files all ready and set to go with the prologue out of the way.
I've never had to streamline RPG Saves before.

triangles

Oh right so Reddyne reminded me this morning we gotta get our TEAM FIESTA AVATARS rolling. What are you kids all thinking?  Battle sprites or the artwork from.... I want to say 2 years ago?

Oh right so Reddyne reminded me this morning we gotta get our TEAM FIESTA AVATARS rolling. What are you kids all thinking?  Battle sprites or the artwork from.... I want to say 2 years ago?

I'm waiting until my first team rolls in so I can use one of my actual jobs but I'm fine with whichever. :3

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
We used the sprites last year, right? We should use Obstinatemelon's artwork this year. :3c

As for whom I'm gonna use I'm gonna wait until I actually start my game to decide. Maybe I'll get a theme-team like last year? Who knows!

Reddyne

I'm waiting until my first team rolls in so I can use one of my actual jobs but I'm fine with whichever. :3
We used the sprites last year, right? We should use Obstinatemelon's artwork this year. :3c
I was thinking of doing a sort of combination of the two ideas by using Obstinatemelon's artwork and picking out my MVP from last year.

...Which was pretty much everyone, but beastmaster was surprise fave.

Axel Ryman

• Fear me
I'm gonna stick with the one I have now.

#GilgameshRomHackWhen?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
I'm in; doing a Classique Run because I know my roots.

I dare yalls to avatate me.

triangles

I had a batch of avatars from last time around still on my computer and my work was s l o w today so I cranked out a few more hooray!  Last year's MVP?  A class you hope to roll this year?  Or just an outfit that looks snazzy?

Go forth and fiesta my friends!!!!

Reddyne

LET'S DO THE THING

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
This will ensure I get no black mages.

Registered for Chaos No 750 Berserker Risk

Why no upgrade? Because if someone's paying for me to get berserker, I don't want that to go to waste by not having berserker in the final party. Sure, Upgrade potentially lets them get more value for that $10, but Berserker Risk should be a full game thing and not just a possible full game thing.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
Today I realised I've still had the same image since last year's FJF

Time to fix that

Interesting into from the SA FJF thread:
Quote from: the Orb of Zot
From IRC discussion, it turns out that geomancers have some surprising synergy with rapidfire: bells that use the bell formula ignore the Rapidfire penalty.

Unfortunately, the only bell with remotely usable attack that uses the bell formula is the the Tinkerbell (55 ATK, the next best being the Diamond Bell at 24) which is permanently missable and only available at the very end of the game via unbelievable annoyance (1/16 drop from Twintania when it is NOT charging Gigaflare, so that means killing him the hard way!)

Still, if you're willing to go through the amssive tedium of getting it, Rapidfiring the Tinkerbell will actually do about as much damage on a Geomancer as rapid-firing the Chicken Knife.

Unfortunately, the remaining bosses from that point on are Necrophobe and the final boss; you can Tinklefire away Necrophobe once the barriers go down and Tinklefire down Treedeath, but you're not much help for Necrophobe and for Neo-Exdeath you're much better off using Air Knife boosted !Gaia instead.

So all it's good for is making the Geomancer able to contribute to killing Omega and Shinryu, and you don't need their contribution if you have RAPIDFIRE available anyways.

Axel Ryman

• Fear me
I actually posted that discovery last year on the 4JF Reddit, however that thread seems to have missed an important detail. While Rapid Fire does ignore Defense, it doesn't ignore MAGIC Defense, which is what Tinklebell targets. In other words, if the enemy you're fighting has high Magic Defense, Rapid Fire Tinklebell is terrible. Since Omega has 150 Magic Defense, the damage is non-existent.

I actually posted that discovery last year on the 4JF Reddit, however that thread seems to have missed an important detail. While Rapid Fire does ignore Defense, it doesn't ignore MAGIC Defense, which is what Tinklebell targets. In other words, if the enemy you're fighting has high Magic Defense, Rapid Fire Tinklebell is terrible. Since Omega has 150 Magic Defense, the damage is non-existent.

welp. :V

it already comes late enough to not redeem Geomancer at all but it extra-doesn't now lol

At least I was just bringing it here as a "huh this is interesting" anyway. :V