Author Topic: Dragon Ball Z: Dokkan Battle  (Read 3054 times)

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
Dragon Ball Z: Dokkan Battle
« on: May 23, 2016, 07:13:09 PM »

So; this is an App Store/IoS/Mobile thing game I've stumbled upon about a month ago. And... well; it's kinda addictive and if PAD has a big thread and has ~50 million downloads as of Sep 2015; and this game has 60 million as of this week... it might be threadworthy maybe?

Anyway; what is Dokkan Battle? I'm pretty bad at explaining but I'll try.

- In essence; it has similarities to Puzzles and Dragons in the sense that it is a gatcha game. You farm points and pull characters. Except they're Dragon Ball characters.
- You can train; awaken and 'Dokkan Awaken [Read: Evolve] these characters to make your ultimate team!
- It's Free to Play but you can buy extra gatcha stones

The gameplay has you move around a board; using 3 dice numbers that show up [Pick one; keep 2]. Every level has a boss at the end. Simple enough.

Where the real addiction of this game is, in my veiw is the mixture of the gatcha aspect and the combat.

The screenshot at the top is an example of the combat. Your goal is to acquire as much Ki as possible.  You do this by selecting an orb at the bottom, and lining up orbs. Linda like reverse pachinko. The orb you select at the bottom will rise up with orbs of the same color or rainbow orbs. If you collect an orb the same color as your character is, you get 2 points. You also pop any orbs of the same color adjacent to the orbs you collect. So if I pick the left-hand blue with my Green Vegito in the screenshot; I pop the 4 blue orbs and the rainbow orb for a total of 5 ki.

In the top right you can see a pentagon, each color has an advantage and a disadvantage. Enemies will attack as well; and you can move around your 3 characters you get each round so you can 'block' with a character who has an advantage to lessen the damage you take.

Moving the characters around also matters because if two characters are side by side; they may activate a link skill which gives them a bonus ; if both characters have the same skill. In this example; my centre and rigt-hand card both have the link skill 'Super Sayian' which gives them an attack boost.

You also have a leader; who adds an extra aura skill which is active even if the character is not; and choose a friend each mission who gives another leader skill. Your team is 6+friend.

You obtain characters in several ways:
- Main Quests - Only a few characters are obtained here; but they are pretty useful and free! I highly suggest powering through the Normal Mode questline to get Android 13, it's not that hard to get through Normal you don't need strong cards.
- Strike Events - Limited-time levels which have a boss which has a chance to drop based on the difficulty. You can farm these characters!
- Dokkan Events - Harder than strike events; but if you clear the 20 stamina Z-Hard mission it can drop a character who can Dokkan Awaken [These events have a 40 stamina mission which drops the material to do so; and also awakens a specific gatcha character too]
- Special Events - Sometimes there's other events which can give free characters; such as the World Tournament [Which not only directly gives characters but gives tickets for special summon banners]
- Friend Point Summons - Generally training fodder; but it can do for Normal Mode and sometimes you get something better. Also drops money. You grind FP by... well... doing missions.
- Dragon Stone Summons - These are your big gatchas which rotate every so often. Uses the premium currency; but you can farm that too.

So... yeah. If you play this game, share your pulls; your teams; what you're doing and so on. If you're interested I'll try to answer any questions.

If you are new; now's a good time to start playing due to the 60 million players events; which last quite a while:
- x2 quest EXP = faster leveling up
- Every Medal event is open; so you can awaken easier
- There's a good gatcha for new players right now; which has a really good chance at giving you characters who are already awakened and start at Lv 40. I wouldn't dump too many stones into this event; but it's good for getting a couple of good characters to start you off and carry you through Normal Mode quests, and you can use the TEQ characters you get to farm for Pikuhan in the current Strike event. Especially since almost every enemy except 1 in Normal Mode is unawakened; and Awakened characters have bonuses against unawakened. A couple of Super or Extreme characters can easily carry you through Normal; especially starting at lv40! Do the first couple of chapters; do a few summons on this banner; and then save your stones as you power through Normal. There's some discount multi-summon events coming so once you have a couple of guys to help you farm stones save 'em.

For those of you worrying about Pay2Win; I have not spent a penny and I've assembled this:

3 max rarity characters and several other solid ones. [Note; you can't have two characters with the same name on a team. But 'name' is kinda subjective. You can't have two Gokus, but you can have Super Sayian Goku and Goku.]
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 07:17:04 PM by Raikaria »

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
Re: Dragon Ball Z: Dokkan Battle
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 08:11:02 PM »
I'm not sure if I should be surprised DBZ is the main anime cash in mobage to come to the states :v

I might try it out on buttstacks since my phone is BEYOND FULL

XvSpitFirevX

• ForsakenSpitfire
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 06:39:18 AM »
there is a similar game to this relating to Hunter X Hunter.

XvSpitFirevX

• ForsakenSpitfire
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 06:57:17 PM »
Also, TEC and INT teams tend to do really well for supports, And the TEC Perfect Cell is a good Nuker with using some TEC Support Items, mainly the Oolong, It would take out event bosses pretty quick.