Author Topic: Pokemon Sun and Moon are out! Alola, MoTK!  (Read 122564 times)

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
Re: Pokemon Sun and Moon (minor official reveal spoilers)
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2016, 05:51:17 PM »
inb4 z-moves get blocked by protect

Actually that would be awesome. It would make Protect a lot more useful than 'I am Toxicstalling'. Also they effect the whole battlefield so in multibattles [Doubles/Triples] you'd probobly NEED to run Protect.

Also Apparently there's some 20 year old art with someone who's popped up today in it...

That is the girl outside Mt.Moon talking about Muuna levels of what.

Also I for one am happy to see pokemon adapting to different environments; and hope they do it for the inevitabl;e Sinnoh remakes if they're going down the Diamond/Pearl remake route instead of remaking Platinum to fix the godawful D/P pokedex.

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2016, 05:52:34 PM »
ICE FAIRY NINETALES :*

« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2016, 06:08:20 PM »
crawling in my skin

these wounds will never heal

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
    • Danmaku!! Official Site
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2016, 06:14:15 PM »
Perhaps mankind was not meant to pet this much

https://twitter.com/hayama_syoko/status/760112259620155393

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2016, 06:16:04 PM »
GOOD: no gyms
UHM: totem bosses

Bosses always had Pokemon and teams that you could get yourself given the time and trading. I don't know about the totems. But a lot of this is rad cool.

Waiting for the Gumshoe crossovers.

« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2016, 07:00:00 PM »
Looks like HMs are being replaced by the Pokemon mounts too, so lots of interesting format changes this time

« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2016, 07:09:44 PM »
let the dream be true

let me Fly on wings of fat

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2016, 07:26:10 PM »
Wow, so many changes! I like the idea of changing up how boss battles work throughout the game (wild Pokemon bosses that aren't legendaries? Yes please). Not that I hate Gyms or anything, but after 20 years of the same formula, it's about time things got shuffled up a bit. It actually feels like Pokemon is taking a few cues from more traditional RPGs in that regard. Hell, they're even doing the equivalent of palette swaps with some of these new Alola Formes lol. I've been waiting since Gen 4 for an Ice/Steel type, though it remains to be seen if the Alola Formes get different stats to make them relevant in the context of Gen 7. Also glad to see the mystery of that 5th move slot solved. They say there's a Z-move for every type, but is there one for every Pokemon as well, or just certain key ones, like how the Pledge moves and Hyper Beam clones were only for the starters? Overall I'm really liking the direction these new games seem to be going in, especially as a veteran.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2016, 07:28:49 PM »
I might actually get back into the series with these.  I'll have to keep an eye on this.  They're not New 3DS only or something, are they?
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2016, 02:15:59 AM »
From other sources, there will be one Z-move for every type, requiring the Pok?mon to hold the corresponding crystal and have a move with the corresponding type. Reminiscent of the special type contest moves.
If this crystal is actually a held item, this eliminates my concern that the move could be used to break down a potential check with mo downside. The activation condition still is a mystery - if it's a held item then megas can't use a Z-move.

The abilities on these new form releases are also disappointing.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2016, 02:43:41 AM »
Oh yeah, if this is a held item then it's going to have to be completely amazing for it to be a problem competitively. Which I'm okay with frankly. If Z-moves are just huge damage then I can't see them being worth an item slot most of the time. They're basically just replacement gems at that point. Gems were great in doubles and niche in singles, so Z-crystals would basically just be gems that are limited to one per team (possibly with additional restrictions? Can you only use a Z-move that matches your type, or can a water type use Z-ice if it knows Ice Beam?).

If they have additional effects though I guess I could see them getting silly. They've got the potential for stuff like guaranteed burn/paralyze/flinch/maybe even freeze, stat boosts on hit, healing etc., which could make them actually different from each-other rather than just being different types for the same big damage cannon.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2016, 08:28:40 AM »
ICE FAIRY NINETALES :*

I will be upset if regular Ninetales doesn't get Fairy second type.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2016, 02:45:52 PM »
words words words all that matters is
ICE VULPIX
MY FAVORITE POKEMON SINCE FOREVER
:* :* :*

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2016, 03:02:45 PM »
words words words all that matters is
ICE VULPIX
MY FAVORITE POKEMON SINCE FOREVER
:* :* :*

Vulpix has ways been hovering just around my top ten, but this isn't fair. What can compete with TWO Vulipixes? Not much. I think this may have rocketed it up to like, second place.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2016, 02:01:19 AM »
Pokemon can use any Z-move as long as they have a move of the corresponding type, the example given is Pikachu with Grass Knot.
It's rumoured they might be not continuing with megas, but I think that would be quite strange to drop that all of a sudden, not to mention I wanted a few gen 5/6 megas.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2016, 03:23:25 AM »
Pokemon can use any Z-move as long as they have a move of the corresponding type, the example given is Pikachu with Grass Knot.
It's rumoured they might be not continuing with megas, but I think that would be quite strange to drop that all of a sudden, not to mention I wanted a few gen 5/6 megas.
If that's the case, that opens up a lot of possibilities for Z-moves to be used as coverage. They could essentially be like a stronger replacement for Hidden Power, assuming they match the offensive stat that Pokemon is using. I imagine this also applies to status moves, so mons that don't get many strong moves for a certain type could get a Z-move this way to fill that hole. One example I thought of is Pokemon that can learn Sandstorm/Hail but don't get strong moves of those types like Rock Slide or Ice Beam. I certainly think there could be enough merit to using Z-moves in place of some other held items for this reason, though we'll have to see what each Z-move does first.

And this would be the first I've heard of them possibly dropping Mega Evolutions. I agree that this does feel a little quick if it's true, but I was never the biggest fan of them to begin with (mostly because of how they just perpetuated the series' massive power creep), so I wouldn't mind too much. We'll see, I guess.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2016, 03:54:34 AM »

Hikarin

• 別に意味はない。
  • 本当にメイドですね。。。
« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2016, 02:51:43 PM »
Watched a newer Japanese teaser. There's Battle Royales :3

PADherder <3 Updated 8/13/2017!

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2016, 10:11:46 AM »
Corocoro reveals happened. This is kinda a thread about spoilers but I'll spoiler tag stuff anyway:

Spoiler:
Aloan Marowak; which was strongly hinted at by Gamefreak as being the ace of the Fire type Trial guy; is confirmed. Fire/Ghost.
Spoiler:
Dark-type Alolan Mewoth.

I really; really; really hope some non-Gen 1's get Alola forms. Gen 6 Gunwun pandered enough as it is.

Spoiler:
New evil team partially revealed. Team Skull. Wait... that sounds familiar... PMD?

Spoiler:
Ghost/Ground line based on sandcastles. Seen a lot of hate on them because obligatory inanimate object pokemon hate that conveniently ignores stuff like Magnemite, but I like them because they're... EARTHBOUND Spirits. Get it?

Spoiler:
Wimpy-looking fish pokemon revealed. But it's ability apparently makes it call a whole school of it's friends and it turns into GIANT SUBMARINE-LOOKING FISH OF TERROR

Spoiler:
Also baby Bewear
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 10:13:18 AM by Raikaria »

I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2016, 02:26:33 PM »
The latest trailer is out. Most of this info was revealed in the latest CoroCoro release, but strangely, not everything from there is in this trailer, and we even get some brand new info, such as the Grass/Fairy Morelull and Alolan Psychic Raichu. The new Pokemon/Alolan forms aren't quite as exciting as in previous updates imo, though the real highlight of this trailer is arguably meant to be Team Skull. You can always count on Game Freak to make their evil teams visually distinctive lol, though their description on the Pokemon website seems almost stereotypically gang-ish. :/ I'll need to see more of them in action before I can really make any judgment.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2016, 03:17:01 PM »
I'll take a gang over genocidal idiots [Flare]; an Omnicidal idiot tricking a load of thugs [Galatic]; or stupid eco-terrorists who almost immediately go WHAT HAVE I DONE when they succeed.

Rocket's weakness was a lack of character and defined goal except 'money' or 'Get Giovanni back'. If Skull is gangsters; like Rocket was; and they actually have a better character than Rocket did and more clearly defined goals, they could be the best villain team ever.

That trailer already makes it look like the Admin is a mother-figure to the lesser grunts and protective of them. Which is cool. She's not a total jerk.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 03:18:47 PM by Raikaria »

« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2016, 05:46:30 PM »
Psychu best chu

In b4 Aloha Pikachu is just Pikachu wearing a Hawaiian skirt

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2016, 07:53:46 PM »
Oh god Team Skull are actual thugs. Or rappers or something, it's great. This will either be hilarious or regrettable.

I love Wishiwashi's concept. GET SCHOOLED. Psy-surfing Raichu is also legit.

Hikarin

• 別に意味はない。
  • 本当にメイドですね。。。
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2016, 10:08:51 PM »
All this cool stuff, right? Well, I bet you they aren't ever bringing up the difficulty.
I also bet that they'll story-lock us again.

Jq1790

« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2016, 10:11:35 PM »
All this cool stuff, right? Well, I bet you they aren't ever bringing up the difficulty.
I also bet that they'll story-lock us again.

That last part.  What do you mean, the part where they make you complete the story before some areas/things are accessible?  Or is there something else I'm missing?  Have not played one of these games  in years so I could be forgetting something obvious but I'm curious due to the changes rekindling my interest in giving it a shot.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 10:15:45 PM by Jq1790 »

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2016, 11:37:34 PM »
I'm failing to notice how "story-lock" is necessarily a bad thing-- every game in the series has done that, if I recall.

Jq1790

« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2016, 11:39:43 PM »
Yeah, the story's the main thing I play for anyway so I'm ok with some stuff being stuck behind it.

I just treat it like postgame, anything afterwards.

Hikarin

• 別に意味はない。
  • 本当にメイドですね。。。
« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2016, 12:29:38 AM »
I guess I worded that very poorly. I was referencing how, whenever if they give us a choice in dialogue, it makes no significant difference in the story (e.g. XY's endgame and [i think] B2W2's postgame content). Either way, the other person says more or less the exact same thing, albeit with minor word changes. I just feel it would add to the game a lot more than simply more text. In every game, I feel that they add more and more dialogue, to the point where it's just a huge text-skipping scene. Personally, I feel it would be nice if they gave at least a few dialogue choices, just to keep the longer cutscenes engaging. If they do it well, it would even give the game some more replay value, beyond "let's focus on the details this time around", or "let's Nuzlocke this".

But then, I come from hours and hours of (dynamic) VNs, so maybe I'm just more prone to disliking lack of choices. I play more for the Pokemon than anything else, now.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 12:36:43 AM by Hikari »

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2016, 07:29:07 AM »
I don't know how text heavy the games are now, but I'm assuming it's a bunch of fluff that they're better off dropping in favor of the gameplay, which is the reason people play the main games. Leave the story to kick-ass spin-offs like you used to please Nintendo.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2016, 11:39:33 AM »
I don't know how text heavy the games are now, but I'm assuming it's a bunch of fluff that they're better off dropping in favor of the gameplay, which is the reason people play the main games. Leave the story to kick-ass spin-offs like you used to please Nintendo.

X/Y had semi-pointless forced conversations every route or so. They added a lot of this sort of thing to ORAS too.

Probably the most egregious example being on Route 14. Where aside from a random rival battle it's literally all there is between Gym 5 and 6. A completely pointless 'lets go visit a hunted house and hear a story' that means absolutely nothing; has no significance to the lore in any way; shape or form; has no character development; and is never brought up again and is literally nothing but a waste of time.

It's also the primary example of how out of whack the paceing in X/Y is when literally 1/3 of the game is between Gyms 1 and 2 and there's less content between 4 and 6 than that and what content there is is completely pointless fluff.

For crying out loud Gym 1~2 is a 13 level jump. Korrina to Valerie is a 10 level jump. With Clemont and Ramos inbetween! And you get the Lucky Egg just before Ramos too so you even have an XP boost... that's the difference in content between these sections of the game. There's a lot great about X/Y but the paceing is not one of them and I sincerely hope the game's pacing is a lot better in Sun/Moon.

Literally 4 Gyms are crammed into a smaller segment than the gap between Gym 1 and 2.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 11:46:13 AM by Raikaria »