Author Topic: Bravely Second: Mrgrgr'ing all over again  (Read 11139 times)

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
Bravely Second: Mrgrgr'ing all over again
« on: April 16, 2016, 06:53:01 AM »
The original had it's own thread and this came out in NA yesterday [EU since February but no-one told me] so... yeah.

I started playing this morning after an overnight download. Nice to see that the jobs have changed, even if the gameplay system hasn't [If it ain't broke...]

I know of four jobs already; potentially a 5th:
[Unknown name; possibly Bishop]: A character who is an ally has this as a job command in the tutorial. Appears to be a varient of White Mage, notably healing is % based
[Unknown Name; possibly Fencer]: See above. Fencer switches between at least two stances; Damage-boosting Wolf and Defense-Boosting Aurchon [Or something like that]. He also has an MP using move which lets him attack from Wolf and switch forms after doing so.

Freelancer: It's back but it has new abilities. First new ability is at JL2 - Halfsies; which lets you split healing items among the party in a single use. Also; you can see every ability a job gains as soon as you unlock your 2nd job; so it seems Freelancer focuses on item use; since they gain an ability which gives them a 50% chance to use an item without using it; and they have Mimic which lets you replicate an ally's action without using any resources [Lv 10 skill]. Their lv 9 skill also removes all buffs and debuffs [Not Status effects] from everyone in combat. This includes things like Haste and Reraise. Notably there's no JL 11/12 anymore; unless they are hidden [There's room on the screen for them]

Wizard: The first alternate job you unlock. Unique command is 'Spirit Magic' and it seems to be a variant of Black Mage. It claims that you make spells. Lv 1 skill lets you use Heat [Given on job aqu]; Frost; Lightling; Tornado; Soil; Shining; Shadow and Spirit [New elements oh my!] and you gain 4 levels of 'spellcraft' which appears to let you add suffixes.  Lv 1 spellcraft lets you use 'Dart' and 'Needle' for example. So I presume you can make 'Heat Dart' or 'Frost Needle'. You gain more suffixies as you gain Job Levels. [Hammer/Mist; Blast/Wall; Rain/Arrow]. I've only just unlocked this class. Notably to use spellcraft itself you either have to be a Wizard or unlock the support skill. Crafting spells costs extra BP however! The base spells are automatically AoE; you don't get to choose; so be careful!

Warrior: Judging by a cutscene, this is another job in the game. The original BD actually never had a 'Warrior' class; but I'm guessing this is your standard.. well... warrior. [Edit: It's Charioteer. It can TRIPLE WIELD by equipping weapons to the HEAD SLOT. Their lv 10 ability lets them equip a weapon to the body slot for quad weild. And they can throw weapons too. And they gain weapon proficiency every time they attack from B->S [Proficiency seems to work differently. Wizard only has a B in staffs for example]

Even ~45 mins in there's already been a lot happening. As expected.

Also one small new mechanic; enemies can vary in size; which effects their stats. You can see mob packs with different size mobs. Different weapon types also inherently get bonuses attacking certain species [Such as all swords getting a bonus vs demonkind due to 'being righteous' and knuckles 'busting up' non-organics; Axes splitting plants like trees; ect]

So yeah; discuss; share; ect. Just... spoiler tag plot spoilers.

Spoiler:
MOON FRENCHIES. I wonder what Magnolia speaks if you're playing in French...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 08:03:28 AM by Raikaria »

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

CF7

• Can you feel the LOVE tonight?
Re: Bravely Second: Mrgrgr'ing all over again
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 09:52:16 AM »
The original had it's own thread and this came out in NA yesterday [EU since February but no-one told me] so... yeah.
Well i sorta did here.

Anyway some thoughts and tips.
Spellcraft pretty much makes mages super useful and even extremely broken in the lategame.
Most of the
Spoiler:
jobmasters from Bravely Default are back, but this time you have to pick one of the two jobs offered. Starting form Chapter 5 you can redo the side quests and get the other job you didn't pick the first time
Spoiler:
Several old jobmasters and their asterisks are gone, but their abilities were reshuffled into other jobs. Old and new
Spoiler:
Astrologian + Time Mage + Group Cast All (BM level 10 ability)
pretty much breaks the game support wise.
How it starts and what you have to do makes
Spoiler:
Chapter 5
the bestest best thing ever.
One of the late game jobs lets you use Accedia and other similar broken abilities.
You can now chain battles for bonus EXP/GP/JP if you finish a battle in 1 turn, but your BP is not refilled between battles, so it's like high risk, high reward.
Related to the above. If at the beginning of a battle you get the message "Enemies lurk out of sight" there will be  a forced consecutive battle and "your BP not refilled" still applies.

And all in all i quite enjoyed it.

P.S. Here's my FC if anyone wants to cheat. 3754-8266-7380
Maxed out jobs for ablink,
Spoiler:
level 99 yellow buster ship for your Ba'al busting
, 999999 friend summon that will pretty much murder anything.
Sometimes rumors are just... rumors

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 08:41:53 PM »
IT ONLY GETS WORSE FROM HERE ON IN

Just got the second asterisk.  Boy oh boy I can't wait until I see all the members of the Stupid Hat Club this time around  :V

Spoiler:
MOON FRENCHIES. I wonder what Magnolia speaks if you're playing in French...

This is exactly what I was wondering.  Quick someone with the applicable skill/ability report back because I sure as hell am not googling anything in fear of spoilers.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 09:30:48 PM »
I'm still at the beginning. 
Spoiler:
Got my mrgrgr and threw Yew in a wizard outfit, and off on a quest to wake Tiz the fuck up.

The music's not bad but damn, do I miss Revo.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 02:40:10 AM »
The music's not bad but damn, do I miss Revo.
Agreed, hard. :(

Currently finishing up the first sidequest.  The chain battle system is TWEWY again and I love it, though you really need some form of BP restoration in order to get past three or four battles.  Still, rad.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 04:48:02 AM »
This Sure Is A Game.

I'm kind of flinching every once in a while when I have to retread a dungeon from the first game because, y'know, retracing things made me get sick of the first game.  At least it seems to be better overall, and I think that given I assume it's not going to repeat certain plot aspects, it shouldn't make that mistake again.  I hope.  Still has trash tier dungeon design so far.  The new asterisks are plenty interesting though.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 06:38:15 AM »
I finished what might have been the longest prologue in the history of prologues. And I've played Kingdom Hearts 2.

Random encounters seem to have quickly difficulty spiked quite largely. Also the 3rd town's avaliable spells suggests
Spoiler:
White and Black Mage are still in the game; Bishop/Wizard are variants

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 12:02:11 PM »
Ack! I need some time! Yew et al are off to get their level 3 faces punched in. Poor innocent babes. Also noticed right off the bat that DOCTOR EVIL is voiced by Cam Clarke who seems to be in every last game I touch as of late.

Edit: Oh man am I going to miss Revo and his chimes. Chimes everywhere. Still, everything is familiar again and it took all of one fight to remember to start off each mundane random encounter by braving a ton and then bum rushing the innocent woodland creatures to death.
Spoiler:
My snarky buddy and my mild-mannered buddy don't gain experience or JP. My plot sense is tingling.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 02:24:05 PM by Reddyne »

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

triangles

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 09:54:47 PM »
^ Keep me posted of your thoughts as you go I look forward to it  :V :V :V :V

I'm ?% way into Chapter 1.
First sidequest wasn't a problem because
  • Spoiler:
    Red Mage is the snazziest outfit
  • Spoiler:
    I can't beat up the guy who coined the phrase "Stupid Hat Club"
  • Spoiler:
    I can beat up one of the members of the Irredeemable Assholes Club no I don't care what he's yapping about blah blah blah I want to punch De Rosa in the face forever.

Meanwhile a tip for after you fight the really trippy boss:
Spoiler:
Make sure you're topped off before going to the tower at night yeeesh that was not fun on my part.  I don't know if there was some smart strategy I was missing, the aforementioned lack of healing before fighting him or it was a level/gear check like Profiteur was but :rip: my phoenix downs  :ohdear:

Also let's all brainstorm what END LAYER is gonna turn into  :V

Edible

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 09:59:06 PM »
I can't play this anymore, I have to force my party members into child labor and make stuffed animals forever

CF7

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 11:23:52 PM »

Meanwhile a tip for after you fight the really trippy boss:
Spoiler:
Make sure you're topped off before going to the tower at night yeeesh that was not fun on my part.  I don't know if there was some smart strategy I was missing, the aforementioned lack of healing before fighting him or it was a level/gear check like Profiteur was but :rip: my phoenix downs  :ohdear:

Also let's all brainstorm what END LAYER is gonna turn into  :V
There's not really much you can do about it at this point in the game. But blasting him with Withering Ripple with STR down and some elemental weakness could help, i guess.

Oh, and THAT is going to be fun.

theshirn

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 03:06:55 AM »
I can't play this anymore, I have to force my party members into child labor and make stuffed animals forever
I thankfully have not yet fallen into the trap of chomping.  Soon.  But not yet.

Right now I'm busy beating up cats sorry triangles

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Reddyne

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 02:05:15 PM »
v Keep me posted of your thoughts as you go I look forward to it  :V :V :V :V
My current thoughts are that I have a ton of great games to play with only so much free time to do so. It will only get worse and may do so as early as later today. It's the greatest first world whine I have ever personally experienced.

I did snoop about some of the skillsets of the new classes and realized I had no idea how these would work in practice. Prerequisite: Git gud.

triangles

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 12:17:45 PM »
Once again, the invading bonus bosses have stated levels that have absolutely nothing to do with reality.  Boss is level 25 and I'm in the mid-20s let's do thi- oh god why does it have like 160,000 hit points and sometimes blocks all damage under 9999 aaaaaaa

In Ch2 just got the "censored" job class and shit's been getting a little ~anime~ at times especially with the area I just got to
Spoiler:
HOT SPRINGS?? ugh Japan
please don't let me down.  Spellcrafting is hilarious and I love it so much.  Nekomancer is cool beans. 

Also friend codes!  I'm at 1676-5051-9468 I should have a lot of you all added from the first game, don't forget you have to select search for friends from the save menu to get people to show up!  DOC O' CLOCK has made its fabulous return let me tell you.

We're doing an awful lot of 4th wall breaking this time around friends how mysterious~  Also the purple text in the bestiary comments I want it to be Ringabel but it probably isn't :(

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2016, 12:50:23 PM »
The Wizard asterisk is so useful i swear, sure, spellcraft works with spirit magic, but it also works with all other Magical jobs, meaning Black and White mages, Bishop, etc

Ps: Heal + Mist is really useful, its essensially an all party regen you get really early on.
1CC Easy: UFO , MOF, PCB, DDC, GFW, POFV, TD, IN, SA, 1CC Normal: MOF, DDC, IN, POFV, PCB, TD, EOSD, HSIFS
Extra Mode: Ran Yakumo, Okina Matara

triangles

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2016, 03:09:58 PM »
Yeah that and Holy Night.  Being able to dart
Spoiler:
summons, if you took that job
as well really puts the hurt on single target bosses.

Can't wait to see what sort of shenanigans they pull so you can
Spoiler:
"catch 'em all"
I predict that's the ~Chapter 5 twist~ somehow :V

Reddyne

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2016, 02:22:09 PM »
I realized about 90 minutes too late that I missed one of the tutorial sidequests and will now spend the next half hour of game time trudging back to get some inconsequential item that will at best lead to a few other tutorial sidequests that will give me other inconsequential items. Hurrah for completionism! At least it'll give me time to get used to the two new classes.

Saw a horse-man about a man-horse yesterday. My plaudits for the design of the wizard outfit all flew out the window when I saw the design for the charioteer outfit.

theshirn

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2016, 10:56:45 PM »
I realized about 90 minutes too late that I missed one of the tutorial sidequests and will now spend the next half hour of game time trudging back to get some inconsequential item that will at best lead to a few other tutorial sidequests that will give me other inconsequential items. Hurrah for completionism! At least it'll give me time to get used to the two new classes.

Saw a horse-man about a man-horse yesterday. My plaudits for the design of the wizard outfit all flew out the window when I saw the design for the charioteer outfit.
Yeah, I missed that one too >:(

triangles

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 02:12:17 AM »
I had to backtrack to beat up goblins and to go find some stupid hidden passageway which probably had like a potion or something lame I didn't even care to see what it was.
Thank the stars for
Spoiler:
telepigtation

Edible

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2016, 10:02:54 PM »
Thank the stars for
Spoiler:
telepigtation

Spoiler:
Teleporking
:V

I decided to play through by ~ROLEPLAYING~ instead of going with the asterisks I want, which turns out to have been opposites every time so far ;_;

triangles

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2016, 11:54:30 PM »
I'm in a similar boat as all my decisions have been based entirely who I did/didn't want
Spoiler:
to beat up
.  My criteria may or may not be silly.

Spoiler:
Ninjaaaaa
even calls you on it  :V

Reddyne

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2016, 01:12:18 PM »
So I had a spot of time over the weekend to make some actual progress.
Spoiler:
I beat up Janne and Nick. Unfortunately Janne went full jerkface and you never go full jerkface. Nikolai was cool and magnanimous about things even though it feels like he didn't fully explain motivations.

I toyed around with the two new classes for a while. Edea tried out swordguy, which seemed underwhelming. Maggie wound up being notpope, which seems like a slightly gimmicky version of a white mage. It's pretty sweet and a necessity for adventuring though. I've gotten more mileage out of wizard and charioteer which have actually been fun variations on basic mage/fighter classes.

We hopped aboard Kamiizumi's hunk of driftwood in order to cross the ocean and then a cat went super saiyan and it was a thing. There is a baddie in the shallows called Enemy Crab. It's pretty big. It also uses a skill called No Weak Point. Then I accidentally warped myself a quarter of the way around the world by talking to a pig. The game has had it's fair share of sensible chuckles so far.

I then went to a college town and punched DeRosa in the face. Apparently there was some moral quandary and I'm sure if I were paying attention to things I would have fretted over it for a spell before reaching the right decision, but let's be honest here, the face-punching thing is a pavlovian response. On a side note, I'm sorta bummed about the rehashing of different dungeons but oh well. It's far away from a deal breaker.

Also the chomper minigame exists. I hear it's good for making dosh somehow but that's all I know. Now I'm off to see a man about a hole.

Also Yew manages to out-dork Tiz which is an incredible achievement.

Edible

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2016, 02:49:15 PM »
Spoiler:
A girl in a cowboy hat just shot me from another continent.  How rude.

Catmancer is pretty great.  Wish abilities weren't tied to items, though - really limits the regular use of the class.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2016, 07:18:51 AM »
Yeah, the item limiting thing just sort of stings.  Especially right now in the game where I constantly need that money for gear and spells clearly I should be Chompering more.  The skills aren't even necessarily anything that special so far either.

Also I feel almost entirely reliant on the fact that summoner + spellcraft is stupid OP.  It's wrecking mobs my physical characters can barely touch.  This is a drastic contrast to the first game.

triangles

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2016, 03:42:30 PM »
See when I decided to go pick a fight with a Ba'al that had way too many hit points + randomly  went invulnerable to me at my levels I wound up literally farming with Dig when I couldn't attack so I stocked up early on on stuff and sold the excess to buy the ones I needed.  Maybe not the best way to go about it, but it is what it is.  I also took Merchant when that part comes so Mo' Money Mo' Catfood

Once you get the airship you can get to CHOMPTOWN and pawn off your sweatshop goods and boy oh boy you think you're short on money now don't even go to the shop in that town.  I need to buy some of the outfits because some of these job class get-ups are unfortunate and fashion is a terribly important part of saving the world you see and ugh they are so expensive I just want to put people as Horsemancer or Freelancer Tiz  :ohdear:

Since my job has been a complete mess of database failures and I can't do much actual work I played a stupid amount lately and I got to ~the plot twist~  Which while some of it was pretty heavily foreshadowed, the execution is cool beans
Spoiler:
even if I screwed it up the first time before going back to see the NEW TITLE SCREEN and getting the hint
  Which I must say, one of my theories as to what the subtitle changes to was correct but I was going for a completely different angle on the meaning.

Don't worry kids, they learned their lesson about repeating the game 4x times (as far as I can tell)

Edible

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2016, 09:27:53 PM »
Boy oh boy, between Merchant and White Mage I really could not give less of a fuck either gameplay-wise or plot-wise :V

triangles

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2016, 10:23:59 PM »
Search your feelings, you know the right choice

Also something that I realized a little bit ago it's not a spoiler of anything that has happened yet but it's just a musing of mine on something I'm assuming is a plot point to come
Spoiler:
where the fuck is Caldisla??  They shifted the world map over so it's not obvious, and I tried flying/sailing where it should be and nothing.  A picture I cobbled together to demonstrate under the tag

[nsfw]http://i.imgur.com/dMVdnkZ.jpg[/nsfw]

CF7

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2016, 07:15:34 PM »
I'm assuming is a plot point to come
It is. Ironically, i only noticed that, when said plot point actually happened.

Edible

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2016, 04:02:39 PM »
Found a really good grinding spot, so I'm spending time giving everyone some extra job levels.  I suspect I'll make a lot of progress in-game this weekend since I'm travelling.

Search your feelings, you know the right choice

Yeah I went with Merchant, because
Spoiler:
I had no confidence whatsoever that he could actually build a successful port given how frequently he failed at everything
:V

Reddyne

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2016, 01:29:57 PM »
Beat up a professor emeritus for a rock yesterday. It's also time for me to decide between swordmaster and summoner. Based on how things have worked so far, I'm guessing that summoner is better because of its compatibility with spellcrafting. Swordmaster sounds good considering how many spellcasting classes I already have, but swordmaster was heavily dedicated to reducing damage and countering, which is taken up nicely by a single option on the wizard's repertoire of spWHY IS THIS SO BROKEN?!