Author Topic: Music CD for Reitaisai 13: 「燕石博物誌 ~ Dr.Latency's Freak Report.」  (Read 66676 times)

Koishi called and told me to say "Hi!" to you.

Yeah, SA was a whole lotta Freud and some Jung. One of my favorite things about that game.

I-I haven't beaten Koishi yet on Extra stage to get to the Freudian content. >.<''

Renko could just blurt out about her ancestors (if that's what Sumireko is)

This means Sumireko gets herself a husband. Such romance.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
NicoNico just streamed a tasting party of this year's ZUN beer (to be sold at April 29's NicoNico Chōkaigi), with members of A-One, Buta-Otome, COOL&CREATE and other usual suspects like Hojo, Tasofro and Okonogi as guests.

ZUN's beer is a barley wine with a "100% Made in Japan" theme, using hops produced in his home Nagano Prefecture. He said barley is grown in 畑 hata (dry farmland, as opposed to rice paddy), so he named it 「超畑のビール」 Chō Hata no Beer (Super Farmland Beer).

ZUN also said he "will not be in Japan on July 3". As he mentioned he's "looking forward to all sorts of events" in this blog update, this seems a good reason for leaving Japan.

Could he visit America again for Anime Expo (Jul 1-4), or Anime Midwest (Jul 8-10)? Could it be Japan Expo (Jul 6-10) at Paris, an event that's definitely very interested in Japanese subculture stars like him? There's also Seoul's SICAF 2016 (Jul 6-10).

Ah but don't get your hopes too high, he might be doing something totally unrelated to anime subculture too lol.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 01:17:28 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
That sounds like an interesting beer. I wonder how Japanese hops compare to the European variety, in terms of taste.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Guess this means no demo at reitaisai? Oh well!

Chirumiru-chan

• Destitute shrine maiden
  • Yukkuri shiteitte ne!
    • Megagaga
Guess this means no demo at reitaisai? Oh well!
Maybe Comiket?
⑨-chan
1cc: PoDD Rikako (Easy), PoDD Marisa (Easy), LLS Reimu (Easy)

Plubio

• 宇宙少年
    • Suzunaan
Maybe Comiket?

Unlikely.
If something, maybe he will release another CD, as he did on 2006 and 2012.

Oh man, that picture with ZUN surrounded by Youmu, Hong, Sakuya and Satori.

:smug: ... Like a boss...

Who/what is the girl on the top left suppose to be though?

Aya, I think.

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
Oh man, that picture with ZUN surrounded by Youmu, Hong, Sakuya and Satori.

:smug: ... Like a boss...

That's Amane from COOL&CREATE.

Best possible news. I figured it would be too soon for a new game, and it's been a while since the last music CD.

As a physicist, I'm also curious about ZUN's approach to quantum mechanics 'n' shit.
check http://vsoft.life/ for runs & creations
latest stream: Hollow Song of Birds Hard 1cc (OrangeReimu) @ https://youtu.be/eDFd4FHEjXg

cuc

ZUN: I let my son listen to the finished CD. Since he's waving his arms to the music, I guess my work is really done.

ZUN: Natural History of Swallow Stone, master disc complete.

I let my son listen to the finished CD. Since he's waving his arms to the music, I guess my work is really done.

That's the way ZUN, indoctrinate him while he is still young.  :V

Plubio

• 宇宙少年
    • Suzunaan
EDIT: thread here.

U-oh.
As this seems to be the new "Touhou & ZUN status" topic, looks like Forbidden's tankobon 6 is being released at 12/10. Seems like the special edition comes with an art book from Moe and a little CD by ZUN (think about fairy's manga CDs).

Info coming fro Toho Memory.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 07:02:59 PM by Plubio »

I'm very glad the DDC Stage 5 theme is on here- it's my favourite stage theme.

Drake

https://twitter.com/supponhousou/status/724433256876138496
http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv260439658

ZUN to show up at the Carefree 9129 Big Ensemble show (how am I supposed to translate 気ままに9129大合奏) on Suppon Broadcasting again today at 22:00 JST; the last being in March. Shuzo and hellnian from Sekkenya will also be present.

Suppon Broadcasting will be selling a CD at Reitaisai that is made up of fan-submitted arranges made using Daigasso! Band Brothers P on the 3DS. They might get ZUN to write a tune using it as well, today.
EDIT: According to a Toho Memory post, last time ZUN played Necrofantasia on it. If it's anything like that this time, it's probably worth watching.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 02:40:49 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Maple

• Mukyuu!
Is that supposed to be some Mugetsu cosplay or just a generic maid?

In what game does Mugetsu have Sakuya silver hair, Sakuya twin braids and PCB Sakuya scarf?

Maple

• Mukyuu!
silver hair
u wot m8?
I could have sworn that was blonde hair.

cuc

Show's over. Most relevant info from today's stream:

- For people who do not plan to visit Reitaisai 13, DLFR will be available in stores by late May. The preorders start today.
- ZUN: The existing songs in DLFR "are not arrangements, they are complete editions."
- ZUN on the CD booklet: "I can't win against downloadable music if I don't put in some enigmatic writing."

You can safely ignore the rest of the post if you are short on time, because they are mostly about explaining the background of the stream.

The show is also about revealing the cover of the 東方鼈曲集 Touhou Softshell Music Collection album:

What's this softshell deal? First of all, Nintendo has this Daigasso! Band Brothers a.k.a. Jam with the Band franchise of handheld music games, the latest version being Daigasso! Band Brothers P for 3DS. They have robust support for users to make and upload their own playable songs to the server.

Now the franchise has quite a few mascot characters, and the mascot of their official online radio is a suppon, a softshell turtle.

Last December, ZUN had officially given Nintendo a license, allowing Band Brothers players to upload music based on all Team Shanghai Alice albums, i.e. the PC-98 Touhou OST, and ZUN's music collections. They followed it up with a Shanghai Alice Remix Contest for players, with ZUN as a special judge. The winners were announced in the previous broadcast ZUN attended; their compositions will be collected in a CD sold at Reitaisai, marking Nintendo's first ever appearance at Reitaisai.

For old-time fans, this contest is fascinating, because ZUN had only given praise to other people's Touhou arrangements publically at his website, back when he was an unknown amateur, and anyone who made Touhou arrangements were just fellow geeks, not worshipful fans. Since the Touhou fandom blew up, he had avoided commenting on fan works. If anyone ask him about fan music, he would normally respond with "my own composition is better". Yet the contest had him actually appraising these arrangements.

Oh by the way, this is how Sega wants to sell their CD. These are not Touhou characters, they are mascots for the arcade game CHUNITHM in cosplay. We have a most curious Sega vs. Nintendo battle at Reitaisai 13.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 03:46:59 PM by cuc »

Wow.  Er, those sega mascots don't normally dress like that and instead are cosplaying, right?  ...I hope  :blush:

Edit:  Ah, yea, it's cosplay.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 06:50:02 PM by Tiamat »

Oh by the way, this is how Sega wants to sell their CD.

Wait, so is Sega trying to make a deal with Zun to sell a different CD or distribute the one that is already going to be distributed by Nintendo?

Sega better not get any rights to do anything Touhou. I mean, they are using the Touhou license in that poster to blatantly market their OWN creations using Touhou as a cosplay for their characters. Disgraceful!

Not to mention that Sega can't even get their own mascot, Sonic, right. Never forgot Sonic 06/Sonic Boom!

CyberAngel

• Retired
Wow. Even the gaming megacorps want a piece of Touhou? If this isn't a sign that it's the best series ever then I don't know what is.

We don't require mega corps? wanting to get their greedy, grubby hands on our Touhou to know that it's the best series ever.  :D

InB4 multi million dollar buyout.  :ohdear:

Also, I just checked out CHUNITHM on Youtube and it looks to me like the biggest ripoff ever of guitar hero. Do you use fingers to drum the screen or something? It's hard to tell through a Youtube video that only shows playthroughs of songs. Still, looks lazy and I don't trust Sega would do an adequate job representing Touhou with whatever they do with it!

Leave it to the mega corps? to pander to the lowest denominator and give their Eirin cosplayer a boob window.  Even the girl wearing the costume seems upset about it.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Also some weird pantsu action going on in that flyer.

Christ.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

cuc

This joke is pretty decent.

ZUN: Thank you for watching. My thanks to Suppon, no, Nippon Broadcast for allowing us to wantonly drink, no, broadcast whatever we wanted. I'm in my no-no phase.
First of all, the show's name 9129 Suppon Broadcasting is a parody of 1242 Nippon Broadcasting, one of Japan's major radio stations.

"No-no phase" イヤイヤ期 iya-iya ki refers to children's so-called "first rebellious phase" from age 2 to 4.

Also, this being a Nintendo programme, they were actually drinking barley tea from beer bottles throughout.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 01:50:00 AM by cuc »

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
Also, this being a Nintendo programme, they were actually drinking barley tea from beer bottles throughout.
Woah woah woah, are they trying to poison ZUN? Give the man some alcohol!

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
While I don't approve of what's Sega's done with that Irodorimidori promo in the least, Touhou characters and songs in music games is certainly not new. Pretty much every major game company with a rhythm game has Touhou in it:
Konami's Bemani series (with Sound Voltex first having licensed and original Touhou remixes as well as avatars, leading up to a full-blown crossover album where Konami artists did their own Touhou arrangements: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4R9GeRrYRY )
Namco's Taiko Drum Master (no one cares about Synchronica)
Taito's Music Gun Gun and later Groove Coaster (where Zun's namesake ZUNTATA even did a few rearrangements)
Sega's Maimai and Chunithm (which is more of a piano-style game and it's way more fun that you'd think just watching it. And the charts are actually really clever, as this shows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZVnmTkCOxw )
AndaMiro's Pump It Up.

Reimu and Yuyuko are even characters in Square-Enix's MOBA-style crossover-fest card battle game Lord of Vermilion, but that was because Zun had a friend working there.

(Also, a Nintendo vs. Sega battle in itself hasn't been that big of a deal even since the Mario & Sonic at the Olympics series, but admittedly them both being at Reitaisai is new)

So yeah, point being (besides the fact that Chunithm is amazing if you ignore the terrible moe high school idol/band whatever) is that Touhou's been in the mainstream for a good while now.