Author Topic: Music CD for Reitaisai 13: 「燕石博物誌 ~ Dr.Latency's Freak Report.」  (Read 66488 times)

Also, a Nintendo vs. Sega battle in itself hasn't been that big of a deal even since the Mario & Sonic at the Olympics series, but admittedly them both being at Reitaisai is new

I know, that crap is soooo late 90's!

Also, this being a Nintendo programme, they were actually drinking barley tea from beer bottles throughout.

Do you think Nintendo reps told them "no alcohol on the stream" or was it just a joke that Nintendo seems to have some aversion to alcohol in their games due to their "kid friendly" image?

Memories are coming back to me of when Nintendo censored the blood in Mortal Kombat with sweat drops. Nintendo and censorship, am I right?  :V

As much as I don't trust Sega with any hand in anything Touhou related, I am also uneasy with Nintendo having any hand in it as well. Considering the crap they have been up to lately.

Woah woah woah, are they trying to poison ZUN? Give the man some alcohol!

InB4 mega corps™ buys out ZUN with a lifetime supply of beer! (but nothing too premium of course, their too cheap to do that)  :V
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 05:11:56 PM by HalfGrand »

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
But was it really barley tea?

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
Memories are coming back to me of when Nintendo censored the blood in Mortal Kombat with sweat drops. Nintendo and censorship, am I right?  :V
Memories? Nintendo censorship happened very recently and keeps happening.

I wouldn't worry though, it's not like they were going to write a story, they're just using songs.

But was it really barley tea?
At this point, I suspect ZUN to be able to turn any beverage into alcohol when drinking it.

Memories? Nintendo censorship happened very recently and keeps happening.

Your right, I mentioned Mortal Kombat because that was probably one of the most famous examples of Nintendo's censorship that pissed off alot of people. I mean, Nintendo has done alot worse since like trying to get a cut of any youtube video's profits that show footage of their games... real underhanded.

I wouldn't worry though, it's not like they were going to write a story, they're just using songs.

... FOR NOW!  :derp:

If Nintendo were to buy out ZUN, then you can kiss your favorite characters drinking alcohol at flower viewing parties goodbye... Nintendo will make them drink cherry blossom tea instead.  :munch:

Pywackett-Barchetta

• Icelandic Elf Inspector
  • G-A-M-E O-V-E-R
    • Tumblr
Licensing a soundtrack to a publisher is nowhere near being bought out. By that logic, music history would've been changed forever when Harmonix bought The Beatles for a video game. Besides, Touhou stuff has been licensed to like eight other arcade games by now, mostly of the rhythm variety. Team Shanghai Alice controls the license and doesn't give up the entire series just when giving the rights to a few songs.

EDIT: Also, I'm pretty dang hyped for September Pumpkin, because despite my "eh" feelings towards the LoLK soundtrack, I did love that one.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 11:23:30 PM by Pywackett-Barchetta »

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
And pretty much every case of "censorship" has been on the US side of Nintendo, which had nothing to do with this Band Brothers thing.

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
If Nintendo were to buy out ZUN, then you can kiss your favorite characters drinking alcohol at flower viewing parties goodbye... Nintendo will make them drink cherry blossom tea instead.  :munch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNZfd3JDFOA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VjWfW6XCNM
https://youtu.be/qRV22eh4LBE?t=34s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdIMBJnahUk

Nintendo of Japan cares less about censorship.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 05:35:28 AM by game2011 »

Has someone recorded yesterday's nikenme radio?
It seems like ZUN played some samples of DLFR

Can't wait for Schr?dinger's Bakeneko, would mash-up it with Chen's theme.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 11:50:06 AM by Chefir »

Can't wait for Schr?dinger's Bakeneko, would mash-up it with Chen's theme.

It's a 50/50 chance when it gets released that it will take on a life of its own or be dead on arrival.  :V

It's a 50/50 chance when it gets released that it will take on a life of its own or be dead on arrival.  :V

Or it just never gets released and we won't ever be able to know if it's good or bad.

Edit: What am I saying? This is ZUN we're talking about, of course it's going to be good.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 09:38:01 PM by appleDoom »

☆ Kana ☆

• Vanishing Dream
  • Lost Dream
    • lololololo tungle
Ooooh, this new CD's release is gonna be super soon, isn't it? Hype be gotten!  :D

I personally have the feeling that "Beyond Planck in an Instant" and "Schr?dinger's Bakeneko" will be new leitmotifs for Renko and Merry, respectively. They're even right next to each other on the track list!  :3

Has someone recorded yesterday's nikenme radio?
It seems like ZUN played some samples of DLFR

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm28755496
^found one~
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 01:23:30 AM by Misfortune's Wheel »
Dream a dream so grand...that it becomes a nightmare.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
Re: Nintendo forbids drinking: In the recent two decades Japan has moved toward not depicting drinking in children's programmes. A Nintendo official stream is obviously meant to be a family-friendly.

Fresh from Reitaisai:

Flyer from ZUN:
Front: Touhou Gairai Ihen Vol. 2, coming June 30

Back: Genji Asai's artbook, coming this summer

(Source: 1 2)

(Source: 1 2)

??限りなく小さいあの世には妖怪が棲んでいた
そんな書き出しで始まる同人誌を二人が作る

上海アリス幻樂団が奏でる、不思議と癖になる音樂第八弾

? The youkai once dwelled in another, infinitely small world
With this line, opens the fanzine they have made

Volume Eight of the Mysterious and Idiosyncratic Music from Shanghai Alice Fantasy Ensemble
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 07:35:03 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

☆ Kana ☆

• Vanishing Dream
  • Lost Dream
    • lololololo tungle
Calling it now, Renko and Merry's fanzine is literally gonna be called "Dr. Latency's Freak Report", or something like that.  :V
Dream a dream so grand...that it becomes a nightmare.

"Let's make a doujin circle, Merry!"

And then Touhou was born.

Drake

Percussion reminds me of Double Spoiler. This is a good thing.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
Re: Nintendo forbids drinking: In the recent two decades Japan has moved toward not depicting drinking in children's programmes. A Nintendo official stream is obviously meant to be a family-friendly.
Though it should be noted that Nintendo of Japan has, for the most part, no issues with legal aged characters drinking alcohol in their games, as evident of the videos I posted here a while back.

Feel like bringing it up again in case people jump to conclusions...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 03:00:14 PM by game2011 »

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
ZUN really tried to hide the really screechy guitars in Pure Furies didn't he. I can still hear them... THEY ARE THERE...

I'm listening to some of the themes at the moment. They're quite nice.

I found booklet scans on futaba (here) and transcribed + did initial translation of them on the wiki. Voila~

The ⑨th Zentillion

• The impeaches were delicious...
  • Now hungry for conviction!
    • Zentillion's Tumblr
Though it should be noted that Nintendo of Japan has, for the most part, no issues with legal aged characters drinking alcohol in their games, as evident of the videos I posted a while back here.

Well, TV and video games ARE different types of media, they'd have somewhat different rules, really.
Did you bring a light?
...No...

Smash the Fash; The far right belongs in the TRASH.

Beyond Planck in an Instant is a perfect marriage of Touhou and scifi. It gives me some wild images about visionaries designing the future in a timelapse spanning centuries. Worth getting the album for this track alone.

Pacing-wise, the first track sets you off on the right foot, and the last three tracks are an excellent climax.
The album is really consistent in style, something that's always been ZUN's strong point. You can definitely date this as "2016-sounding" Touhou music. I mean besides the prominence of synth sounds, there's something different about the overall mixing too. It's all noticeably more... fluid than before.

Warmly waiting for the story translation.
check http://vsoft.life/ for runs & creations
latest stream: Hollow Song of Birds Hard 1cc (OrangeReimu) @ https://youtu.be/eDFd4FHEjXg

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

I found booklet scans on futaba (here) and transcribed + did initial translation of them on the wiki. Voila~
Thank you Gilde ;w;

This is definitely an interesting story. Even though it isn't as action packed as some of the previous ones, it gives a lot of insight into the nature of boundaries, youkai, and alternate dimensions like Gensokyo. We can also see Merry getting a better grip on her abilities, and slowy getting closer and closer to becoming....?

This is super exciting >w<

I don't really understand what they mean when they're talking about youkai existing as different types of particles though. Could someone give their intrepertation of it?

I hope ZUN pulls a Trojan Green Asteroid/Neotraditionalism and releases something else this summer. I'm excited to see where things go with the sealing club now.

As for the music, I'm not fond of the remixed tracks, but the new ones are greaaaaaaaat. Especially Membrane Wall of Taboo. I like Schroedinger's bake-neko, but I think I like Membrane Wall best. The style of this cd doesn't appeal to my tastes, but I think it'll grow on me.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 02:57:03 PM by TresserT »
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
I don't really understand what they mean when they're talking about youkai existing as different types of particles though. Could someone give their intrepertation of it?
The simplest way to think about it is "They're not exactly flesh and blood". Youkai are more of a spiritual thing, so it makes sense that, scientifically, they're made of something... somewhat different than, say, a human or a squirrel. It's been said in ZUN's works that, for example, they're extremely resistant physically, but weak to spiritual attacks; this is because their existence isn't explicitly tied to having a living body like a person, where if our bodily functions are messed with we'll die.

So Merry/Renko are making a scientific justification for youkai existing. Hi, Yumemi!
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
Anyone else think Dr. Latency's Sleepless Eyes could probably work as Renko's boss theme? :V

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
Only slightly related but still kinda interesting, a circle managed to write a last-minute fanbook about the cd and released on the same event.

XvSpitFirevX

• ForsakenSpitfire
I really like the new songs. The remakes are, meh to me.

Plubio

• 宇宙少年
    • Suzunaan
Kinda late but I just noticed that if you invert 燕石 (Swallowstone) into 石燕 you get "Sekien".
It could be only a coincidence, but considering things, I'd say this is not only a pun, but I can't really tell. Wondering if someone has noticed it already but decided to discard it.