Author Topic: Music CD for Reitaisai 13: 「燕石博物誌 ~ Dr.Latency's Freak Report.」  (Read 66484 times)

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
http://kourindou.exblog.jp/24299864/

ZUN has updated his blog about releasing a new music CD for Reitaisai 13, titled 「燕石博物誌 ~ Dr.Latency's Freak Report.」

The main title, Enseki Hakubutsushi, can be translated as "Natural History of Swallow Stone". See below for further explanation.

Tracklist:
  1.他愛も無い二人の博物誌
  2.凍り付いた永遠の都
  3.Dr.レイテンシーの眠れなくなる瞳
  4.九月のパンプキン
  5.須臾はプランクを超えて
  6.シュレディンガーの化猫
  7.空中に沈む輝針城
  8.禁忌の膜壁
  9.故郷の星が映る海
 10.ピュアヒューリーズ ~ 心の在処
 11.永遠の三日天下

Early translation:
1. Natural History of the Childlike Pair (new)
2. The Frozen Eternal Capital
3, Dr. Latency's Sleepless Eyes (new)
4. September Pumpkin
5. Beyond Planck in an Instant (new)
6. Schr?dinger's Bake-neko (new)
7. Castle of Shining Needle Sinking into the Sky
8. Membrane Wall of Taboo (new)
9. The Sea Where the Home Planet is Reflected
10. Pure Furies ~ Whereabouts of the Heart
11. Eternal Three-day Reign
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 12:16:28 PM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

cuc

Blog translation:

Update on New Album for Reitaisai

We haven't met for some time. This is ZUN.

This year's Hakurei Shrine Regular Grand Festival will be held on May 8 at the end of the Golden Week.
Well, how should I say it, I have been gladly looking forward to all sorts of events.

Anyway, our circle will again attend Reitaisai.
This year, I have made a music CD, something I haven't done in a long while.

The 8th CD album presented by Shanghai Alice Fantasy Ensemble.
Titled:
"Natural History of Swallow Stone ~ Dr. Latency's Freak Report."
The tracklist:
1. Natural History of the Childlike Pair
2. The Frozen Eternal Capital
3, Dr. Latency's Sleepless Eyes
4. September Pumpkin
5. Beyond Planck for an Instant
6. Schr?dinger's Bake-neko
7. Castle of Shining Needle Sinking into the Sky
8. Membrane Wall of Taboo
9. The Sea Where the Home Planet is Reflected
10. Pure Furies ~ Whereabouts of the Heart
11. Eternal Three-day Reign

The price will be 500 yen at conventions.

Fourteen years have passed since making my first music CD (seriously?).
As the times change, CDs have disappeared completely from shop counters.

So, if you are interested in the CD, a medium minutes away from passing into fantasy, please definitely check it out.
(Hmm, some people probably don't even have the device to play it.)

Wait, one more thing.
I will appear in a Nico stream on the 15th, for news on my Chokaigi beer.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 12:15:10 PM by cuc »

Uruwi

• Nightmare of Torrential Precipitation
  • 478 million goober
Wow, I'm excited. ZUN is starting again.

Unfortunately my laptop doesn't have a CD drive.

And Chokaigi beer? I wonder...
foo = foldl $ flip ($)
Highest difficulty 1CCed for each game, by shot type in the original order. (-: never 1CCed on any difficulty, or never used; E: easy, N: normal, H: hard, L / U: lunatic / unreal.)
EoSD [NNNE] PCB [EE--N-] IN [NEEE + Ex Border] PoFV [Mystia N, Mystia E no charge] MoF [EN--H- + Ex Marisa B] SA [N-----] UFO [----EN] TD [NENE] DDC [EE-EHE + Ex Marisa B & Sakuya A] LoLK [PD --N- Legacy ---N] EE [N- + Ex Yabusame] EMS [N-- + Ex Yabusame] RMI [NHN + Ex YaoSuku]
Avelantis (demo) Easy YuukiB 426,077,200

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
Something seems off about that Renko and Marble.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

cuc

OK, let's go over the CD title, because if you are not familiar with the quark proton model on the cover, you can look it up yourself.

Dr. Latency:
Yeah, it seems Renko has got a new nickname. In adition to referring to her tardiness, "Dr. Latency" might be a pun on Freud's concept of latency stage.

博物誌 hakubutsushi:
Literally meaning "Records of Diverse Matters", this was originally the title of one of China's first collections of supernatural and mythological stories "Bowuzhi" from ca. 290 CE by the minister Zhang Hua.

During the introduction of modern Western culture into Japan (and eventually China), 博物学 hakubutsugaku "the science of diverse matters" eventually became the translation for the Western concept of "natural history", with natural history treatises being referred to as 博物誌 — up to Pliny's "Natural History", the book that gave the discipline its name.

(BTW, the much more commonly used word 博物館 hakubutsukan means "museum".)

燕石 enseki:
1. In Chinese classics, 燕山 Yan Mountain is said to produce stones that appear similar to jade. Thus 燕石 "stones of Yan" refer to worthless things, particularly when ignorant fools mistake them for real jade, not unlike the Western term "fool's gold", or as humble language for intellectuals, referring to oneself as untalented and unimportant.

However, ZUN has always shown an appreciation for things that are strange, clumsy, outdated, and useless — this is in the basic premise of Gensokyo, after all. It is conceivable for him to use the term to mean the reverse, that this "Natural History of the Childlike Pair" is something to be treasured despite its lack of material worth.

2. More immediately pertinent, one of Japan's greatest natural historians Minakata Kumagusu had published a paper titled Ensekiko "The Origin of the Swallow-Stone Myth, which is a comparative study of folklore about stones found in swallow nests, common from the West to China, including of course, the Kaguya-hime story.

The "instant" in Track 5 "Beyond Planck in an Instant" uses the same word 須臾 shuyu as Kaguya's ability, a literary term for a short instant (originally a transliteration of the Sanskrit word muhurta).
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 04:10:29 PM by cuc »

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
I was hoping ZUN would release a new Hifuu CD. It's been nearly 4 years after all.

Plubio

• 宇宙少年
    • Suzunaan
As expected from a year with no new games.
This is cool, I really like ZUN's CDs.

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
On a scale from ⑨% to 100%, how likely is that we might get a hint about the relation of Renko and Sumireko in the new CD backstory? Or Yukari and Maribel, for that matter?

hungrybookworm

• Shipper On Board
My money's on another easy going hifuu story about Merry and Renko talking about stuff. Though who knows, it might be another Trojan Green Asteroid!

I can't wait for this. Gonna try and buy this at Reitaisai, if I can...!

Suspicious person

• Just a humble wanderer
  • How suspicious~
More Hifuu content is always good news for me. I am looking forward for this  :)
It's also pretty cool to see that there are gonna be some arranges from DDC and ISC too (these are LONG overdue), although the new tracks are what's this is gonna be about.

Also, "Dr.Latency's Freak Report" is like the weirdest title ever in Touhou, I can't help but wonder what the hell did ZUN drink to come up with that  :X

AAAAAAHHHHHHH HYPE!

I'm surprised though... most of the arranged/remixed tracks are already pretty much perfect imo. I wonder if he can make Pure Furies even better than it already is...
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

Drake

This is the best timeline.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

MetalStudios

• The Paladin of Phantasm
  • One day I'll get better
It's really strange to me to see them drawn in Zun's new art style XD
I've always liked the CD's so I'm excited for this one
My laptop even actually has a disk drive to burn play it
I'll probably throw it in my car too, depends if I like all the new songs
"Do you believe in gravity? That there's a reason why we meet?"

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Great stuff!

This also isn't the first time ZUN has talked about CDs being on their way out. I wonder what media he has planned for his projects when the sun finally sets on CDs.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

I can't be the only one who thinks "Dr. Latency" sounds like it could be the name of some kind of retro comic book villain.

Fulisha of Light

• Also known as Felis-Licht
  • Light and Day Aeon ~C☆

That's quite a pair of yaoi hands Renko has there.

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
ZUN art strikes again. :V

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
While I am exicted to hear all the new songs, I am certainly waiting for that Pure Furies arrange.

CyberAngel

• Retired
I suppose the story will include Renko finally getting her quantum super unified physics degree.

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
While I am exicted to hear all the new songs, I am certainly waiting for that Pure Furies arrange.
The last time I checked, not all old music get arranged.

CenturyEgg

• Gentle older sister types are the best!
    • My world cosplay account
Argh, I would really want to queue for this but I need to get into costume... maybe I should go for Zun's booth first, cause I am sure by the time I change he would have sold out

Maple

• Mukyuu!

That's quite a pair of yaoi hands Renko has there.
When i saw that image, i focused more on the positioning of Renko's hat in relation with her head. Maybe the hat got smaller. Like, you'd need some duct tape to keep it without it falling off.

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
When i saw that image, i focused more on the positioning of Renko's hat in relation with her head. Maybe the hat got smaller. Like, you'd need some duct tape to keep it without it falling off.

It looks like it just fell partially off her head and she's just grinning and bearing it but she really needs to fix it or something.

Still, this is a rather interesting name for a music CD... or anything.
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
It looks like it just fell partially off her head and she's just grinning and bearing it but she really needs to fix it or something.
Clearly she's wearing it that way because she thinks it looks cool, and Maribel hasn't said anything but is giving her a :-J face.

Yes! I knew ZUN would make a music CD while he was on his game making break. I'm definitely going to look forward to this.

Yeah, it seems Renko has got a new nickname. In adition to referring to her tardiness, "Dr. Latency" might be a pun on Freud's concept of latency stage.

Oh no! ZUN is going to start incorporating Freudian stuff into Touhou? This will not end well  :ohdear:

Something seems off about that Renko and Marble.

When I first looked over the cover and onto Maribel I first thought "OMG, what is that sticking up in her dress!?!?". Looking at it further I realized it was just her knee sticking up in her dress...heh. With her hands on the "bulge" in that picture I certainly made a double take.

Is this perhaps ZUN making another subtle reference to Freudian teachings on the cover along with Dr Latency? If so, well played ZUN... well played.

Despite that, I'm still digging the ZUN art. haters gonna hate.  :V 

CyberAngel

• Retired
Oh no! ZUN is going to start incorporating Freudian stuff into Touhou? This will not end well  :ohdear:

Koishi called and told me to say "Hi!" to you.

Spoiler:
RIGHT BEHIND YOU

Hope ♦ Metal

• Royal Flares Can't Melt Steel Beams
  • Donald Trump will make waifus real
That would explain Marisa's kleptomania.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Yeah, SA was a whole lotta Freud and some Jung. One of my favorite things about that game.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Chirumiru-chan

• Destitute shrine maiden
  • Yukkuri shiteitte ne!
    • Megagaga
More Renko and Maribel? I can't believe it. I wonder what the story will be about. Is Maribel cured of delirium?
⑨-chan
1cc: PoDD Rikako (Easy), PoDD Marisa (Easy), LLS Reimu (Easy)

More Renko and Maribel? I can't believe it. I wonder what the story will be about. Is Maribel cured of delirium?

Maribel's delirium is only just beginning!

(....like, really.  Look at her face!)

(if you were actually serious, she was released from the sanctum at the beginning of the last CD, anyways.  Any psychologist put in charge of her probably just gave up or something, I imagine)

On a scale from ⑨% to 100%, how likely is that we might get a hint about the relation of Renko and Sumireko in the new CD backstory? Or Yukari and Maribel, for that matter?

Well, the title of the CD is about Renko, but the songs would imply there's more stuff about the moon, maybe.

I'm not really sure what further hints ZUN could give about either though.  The day he explicitly shows Maribel's relationship to Yukari in one of the Hifuu CDs would likely be the finale to the Hifuu club activities.  Only thing left for him to do would be to find some hints or ties that the two possibly did the same thing like ZUN did in Magical Astronomy, but that would require a lot of set up.  As for Sumireko, I'm not sure if there'd be any time in the story where Renko could just blurt out about her ancestors (if that's what Sumireko is) without it seeming pointless to the current story at hand, at least beyond reiterating what we already know (that Sumireko was the first president of the Sealing Club).  I mean, I guess he could have Renko mention offhand that the club was founded by her great grandmother or whatever, although it'd be up to ZUN's whims whether or not to bother with that :P
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 05:35:45 AM by Tiamat »