Author Topic: 東方天華楼 (Touhou Tenkarou) ~ Frantically Forbidden Fruit  (Read 72552 times)

Maple

• Mukyuu!
Gore is at it again. Catching up with the times, the link can be found at bulletforge. I'm starting to find more and more japanese-speaking people uploading to bulletforge, but i digress.

He translated the description and readme with Google translate, but i do appreciate his honesty.

Plot
(Taken from here)
After the events of LoLK, we see Gensokyo on summertime. It is unusually hot, and fruit started sprouting everywhere. The girls decide to chill out making juice with all that fruit. After finally deciding that there's a new incident, Reimu, Marisa, Sakuya, Sanae, Youmu, and Reisen try to investigate a bit. Yuuka was watching them, and although it's the usual to leave the solving of incidents to humans, she decides to have some fun.

Gameplay
It has elements from TD, DDC, and LoLK.

Like LoLK, the game has two gameplay modes, Paradise and Legacy; and stages and boss fights are separated in chapters. Bullets can be grazed for some time and you'll get multiple points.

The special mechanic of the game is the inclusion of fruit, collected from some enemies, after ending chapters, or collecting a number of items in the Point of Collection (DDC-style). In Paradise mode, collecting fruit fills a jar of juice, if the jar is made mostly from an specific fruit, you'll get a jar of that fruit and the related power-up. You can have up to 3 filled jars, and use them (all at once) by pressing C. Power-ups are double items (apple), bullets get turned into power items (orange), bullets instantly give multiple graze points (instead of needing to wait) (banana), fiercer/denser player shots (watermelon), bomb gauge up (melon), slower bullets (grapes), life gauge up (peach). Filling a jar with star fruits (given at the end of chapters) will give a random power up. Items get instantly collected while the juice effects are activated, and spell card bonuses are doubled. In Paradise Mode, you have a health gauge, allowing you to get hit multiple times without losing a life. When getting hit, you'll hear a SFX and a number will be shown detailing the amount of health lost.

Legacy Mode lacks the juice and health bars mechanics, and because you can't start to autocollect during the juice trance or double the spell card bonuses, this gameplay mode has a lower score potential.

Commentary: gore's previous game (Phantasmagoria of Imagine Breaker) had a notorious amount of slowdown, notably when bosses where preparing their attacks. Here the game has a lesser amount of slowdown, which happens due to bullet amount. The game features less danmaku that has an extremely high speed but can be avoided simply by maintaining yourself in one place. The difficulty (at least in the demo) seems to be mostly at stage 1, because you lack the firepower, and it gets easier when you reach 2.00, 3.00, and then 4.00 and 5.00. The juice mechanic is begging us to abuse it to get high scores.

ZM

• Overly Eager
  • Sanae~
Re: 東方天華楼 (Touhou Tenkarou) ~ Frantically Forbidden Fruit
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 12:51:36 AM »

Sanae~

This was a fairly enjoyable Friday. Game is solid, it definitely feels like what LoLK should've been. It's like...a combination between DDC and LoLK, and it WORKS. My only complaints are the imput lag and the wonky hitboxes, but overall I really enjoyed this demo.

Das

• w e w
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 01:16:47 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK19bBXLCgI

some lunatic clear on Paradise mode.

this game is fun as balls im hyped for full game

Uruwi

• Nightmare of Torrential Precipitation
  • 478 million goober
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 04:51:17 AM »

Abused the fuck out of the fruit mechanics and got this.

I'd honestly like to know which effects are the worst offenders so I can disable them.

Edit:

Should be quite easy to beat, especially since my grazes were poorly optimized, especially with Stage 1.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 05:27:15 AM by Fluffy8x »
foo = foldl $ flip ($)
Highest difficulty 1CCed for each game, by shot type in the original order. (-: never 1CCed on any difficulty, or never used; E: easy, N: normal, H: hard, L / U: lunatic / unreal.)
EoSD [NNNE] PCB [EE--N-] IN [NEEE + Ex Border] PoFV [Mystia N, Mystia E no charge] MoF [EN--H- + Ex Marisa B] SA [N-----] UFO [----EN] TD [NENE] DDC [EE-EHE + Ex Marisa B & Sakuya A] LoLK [PD --N- Legacy ---N] EE [N- + Ex Yabusame] EMS [N-- + Ex Yabusame] RMI [NHN + Ex YaoSuku]
Avelantis (demo) Easy YuukiB 426,077,200

Das

• w e w
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 06:39:42 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8Eckia5RAI&feature=youtu.be

Hit 1 billion on Hard Paradise.

enjoy the aids music because the audio died.

also the slowdown is aids

also this but im going to give this game a break til the full game comes out
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 01:20:38 PM by Das »

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 06:54:19 AM »
Oh man, I've been waiting for the demo to come out! I already loved PoIB's take on each character's danmaku and the work that went into reproducing the canon aesthetic, but FFF's gameplay mechanics feel drastically improved on top of that. (The stage portions are suitably hard for Paradise Mode compared to PoIB's cheesability, and the bosses have enough health to fully show off each danmaku pattern.) Kasen's danmaku style is my favorite so far; it's a great adaptation of her moves from ULiL while still feeling fresh.

Characters' gameplay effects:
  • Reimu: Small hitbox, homing shots, apple juice x2 (double item value)
  • Marisa: Very fast, piercing shots, low autocollect line, large grazebox, banana juice x2 (super graze)
  • Sakuya: Items fall slowly, shots bounce off walls, grape juice x2 (slow enemies and bullets)
  • Sanae: Slightly fast, fruit effects last twice as long, high-cost bombs, melon juice x2 (fill bomb gauge)
  • Youmu: Slightly fast, free bomb at the end of each stage if you have none, watermelon juice x2 (hyper shot)
  • Reisen: Piercing shots, L2 bomb grants barrier, peach juice x2 (refill life gauge)
  • Yuuka: Slow, no power loss from taking damage, 360 degree aim, orange juice x2 (bullets convert to power items)

Extends in Paradise Mode are tied to score; they come at 150 million, 300 million, 600 million, 900 million, then 1.25, 1.5, 2, 2.5 and 3 billion points. In Legacy mode, they simply come from collecting several fruit items. The heart icons will fill up to show how close you are in either mode.

Pressing X with no bombs in stock will activate any juice you have on hand. It's also possible to deathbomb with juice instead, even if you have bombs in stock. e: The manual also says that bombing will use the higher-cost bomb by default if you have enough for it, but that it's possible to still use the low-cost one based on whether you're focused or not. I think?

Some bullets also cause status effects in Paradise Mode. I think the trial version only has burns (reduce firepower and deal damage) and paralysis (slows you down and deals damage), though poison, super poison, freezing, confusion and sleep are also in the manual. Effects can be canceled early with juice activation.

edit: do note, tho, that the readme's 'do not inquire absolutely' isn't an exaggeration. gore may make suuuper good games but if you try talking to him he's bound to get pointlessly mad over like nothing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8Eckia5RAI&feature=youtu.be

Hit 1 billion on Hard Paradise.

It's funny you should use that bgm bc the game concept literally did start out as 2p touhou gourmet race
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 08:06:03 AM by gilde »

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 02:51:39 PM »
Actually gave this a shot despite not really being a big fan of PoIB... and so far I'll have to say I think it's interesting (haven't given Paradise mode a shot yet, only Legacy, but I should probably also give it a shot). I like the fact gore kept LoLK's "grazing slows down item falling speed" and combines it with DDC's "collect a bunch of items for all the bombs and lives", but seems to tone that aspect down as well so it's not "BOMBING EVERYTHING GIVES YOU ALL THE LIVES". Still wish the slowdown wasn't as nuts but it is a little better than PoIB's I think, so maybe turning off enough of the effects will help (it actually does seem to help this time around unlike PoIB where it... doesn't, really, I don't think I went under 50 FPS and that's with a few options still on).
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

Das

• w e w
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 03:04:38 PM »
I think the trial version only has burns (reduce firepower and deal damage) and paralysis (slows you down and deals damage),

Freeze is in the trial, If you kill midboss Nitori fast enough, groups of fairies will spawn and if you hit their bullets, you'll get the freeze effect.

It deals about 5 damage in total (1 every second of so) and greatly increases your speed. Also I believe if you're at 0 hp while the freeze effect is on you wont die, it'll deal 1 damage but wont kill you. I could be wrong though.

Mino ☆

• PCB player.
  • Touhou Hobbyist
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 05:57:13 PM »
Man what is it with danmakufu games being so laggy? I disabled all effects and I still find myself reaching as low as 20-30 fps on some things. What kind of computer is expected to be able to run these games?

I mean, ZUN's games never lag for me. Most games don't. But Danmakufu.... ugh

The game itself is very enjoyable though. I like the patterns and the mechanics.

ZM

• Overly Eager
  • Sanae~
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 08:27:08 PM »

Sanae is so fucking broken.
  • She has double the fruit duration.
  • Orochi bomb coverts bullets into fruit as well as barely damaging boss nons, which means she can spam her bombs on nons and get full gauge back.
  • Her melon juice increases the fastest, which means she gets bombs back quickly.
  • Her unfocused shot is very powerful, which means she can take out spells quickly.

The demo is super broken, I love it. XD
Also there's a glitch in the game I found. I somehow started Stage 1 with an automatic supergraze that seems to last the entire game. The result is this:

Uruwi

• Nightmare of Torrential Precipitation
  • 478 million goober
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 09:16:43 PM »
And I thought Marisa was the best for score.
foo = foldl $ flip ($)
Highest difficulty 1CCed for each game, by shot type in the original order. (-: never 1CCed on any difficulty, or never used; E: easy, N: normal, H: hard, L / U: lunatic / unreal.)
EoSD [NNNE] PCB [EE--N-] IN [NEEE + Ex Border] PoFV [Mystia N, Mystia E no charge] MoF [EN--H- + Ex Marisa B] SA [N-----] UFO [----EN] TD [NENE] DDC [EE-EHE + Ex Marisa B & Sakuya A] LoLK [PD --N- Legacy ---N] EE [N- + Ex Yabusame] EMS [N-- + Ex Yabusame] RMI [NHN + Ex YaoSuku]
Avelantis (demo) Easy YuukiB 426,077,200

ZM

• Overly Eager
  • Sanae~
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 09:35:12 PM »
Marisa's probably still the best for score, but Sanae's no slouch, either.

Zigzagwolf

• Kuruminist Touhou Player
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 09:39:49 PM »
Since we're apparently scorerunning the demo, I guess I'll just post my Marisa score so far. :p
This run was done in Paradise Mode - Lunatic difficulty, Paradise mode is a lot of fun too; definitely the scoring mode of the game.
Sorry in advance for the huge pictures, I'm not too sure if there's a manner of resizing them when posting.

Replay

Quite a silly run, was in a call with ZM and PearlescentX in Skype when we did this, ZM had that supergraze bug going on which was hilarious; I had this run going on which did rather well. I didn't expect to get 1.285b but then I was able to use supergraze bottles to graze a ton out of Kasen's final spellcard, at which I got a whopping 17.7k graze, that was very amusing. I think I'll take a look at other shots tomorrow, I can imagine Sanae being a lot of fun to play with..
Raid Kappatalism for great Kurumi!

Youtube channel My Youtube channel, I hope you enjoy my Touhou runs.

ZM

• Overly Eager
  • Sanae~
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2016, 11:22:07 PM »

1.318bil with Sanae. That's a good ending point. Unfortunately failed Nitori's final spell, but at least I didn't have any fruit!
 Paradise mode is actually pretty fun. It's actually quite fun to score in.

Totalheartsboy

• The Hidden Truth
  • Dreams are your hidden futures.
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2016, 02:01:48 AM »
Is it me or Yuuka's shot is very broken specially with the juice upgrade?
And have to say this game is very interesting, it was worth to play it~.

ZM

• Overly Eager
  • Sanae~
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2016, 02:48:30 AM »
Trial Legacy Lunatic 1cc with Reimu, all spells captured.
Trial Paradise Lunatic 1cc with Sanae and a score of 1.318bil.

Had some struggles with trying to record, but thankfully Pearl helped me figure out how to record these replays without annoyances.
FFF is fun~
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 02:56:34 AM by ZM »

Zigzagwolf

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2016, 08:11:17 AM »
Just like ZM I also had a hard time recording this fangame, although I noticed that Bandicam does the finest so I ended up using that.

Trial Paradise Lunatic 1.285bil 1cc wit Marisa Kirisame and all spellcards captured.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 09:08:32 AM by Zigzagwolf »

Zigzagwolf

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2016, 11:50:45 AM »
1.387bil Sanae Paradise Lunatic 1cc Replay

Failed Nitori's final spellcard, made some pretty silly mistakes in this run, but I think 1.5b is possible with Sanae. She is definitely a better scoring shot than Marisa although my thoughts are they're not too far away from each other. Probably going to try more Sanae scoreruns and maybe Marisa again later, want to play with more shots too.

Das

• w e w
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2016, 03:55:49 PM »

Dont think I'll improve this further. (wtf the numbers desynced it should be 200k more points oh well)

Video
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 04:28:07 PM by Das »

ZM

• Overly Eager
  • Sanae~
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2016, 09:56:59 PM »

1.820bil with Sanae.
I'm done, just done. XDDDD Amazing luck like what I've gotten is going to be super tough to get. Supergrazes in all the right places, capturing all the spells with the fruit bonuses added to them, and basically...just really good fruit RNG.

I'll record the run later. Heading back to uni since Spring Break is over.

Zigzagwolf

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2016, 09:59:19 PM »
Been working on scoring with each shot today, figured out that you can graze literally everything without dying as long as you have the power of fruit activated, I knew that being healthy proves to be fruitful in the end.  :V

So far all my progression: Sanae 1.728b Marisa 1.727b  Sakuya 1.496b  Reimu 1.106b Youmu 1.100b Reisen 1.080b 1.045b Yuuka

Also ZM and Pearl (Das) have been in a call the whole time playing this a ton, I'm still gonna improve some scores considering I did not know of the fruit invincibility grazes, I wonder if 2b is possible in this demo. Regardless of that, the fruits of our journey has shown themselves as of now.

Das

• w e w
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2016, 10:01:11 PM »

this game is a meme

Maple

• Mukyuu!
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2016, 10:38:43 PM »
PSA: Consider using quote tags to hide images.
Code: [Select]
[quote][img][/img][/quote]Example
(Source)

BBCode allows the resizing of images, but i can't make it work in this forum, maybe for the same reason we can't embed youtube videos.

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2016, 12:03:43 AM »
Man what is it with danmakufu games being so laggy? I disabled all effects and I still find myself reaching as low as 20-30 fps on some things. What kind of computer is expected to be able to run these games?

I mean, ZUN's games never lag for me. Most games don't. But Danmakufu.... ugh

The game itself is very enjoyable though. I like the patterns and the mechanics.
Mostly because ZUN's engine has been in development for years (well, Danmakufu is too), but ZUN's is significantly more optimized. I think Danmakufu doesn't optimize anything; it's up to the script maker to optimize their scripts. Compare the performance of ido's Mystical Power Plant and Riverbed Soul Saver. ido got help from Lan, who helped optimize the game. The result is better frame rates (mostly) in RSS than in MPP. And worse is The Last Comer, which lags whenever there's a large number of bullets in the screen.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

Zigzagwolf

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2016, 10:29:09 PM »
2.047bil Lunatic Paradise Run with Marisa Kirisame Pretty strong run, think Marisa is the main scoring shot of this game too, also kind of hoping that fruitgrazes will still exist in the full game as the possibilities seem endless, would be even nicer if there's no PiV cap too. Also have a replay here Replay

I rekt this demo to the future by getting 2.047b with Marisa, I think I'm kind of done with it now too. Maybe that I'll try to see how far I can get Sanae later on.

Arcorann

• hey catgirl
  • Surprisingly unkempt
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2016, 12:46:07 PM »
Been working on some wiki stuff. Spell card pages are up. Story mode scripts will be up at some point - surprised no-one mentioned that Paradise Mode and Legacy Mode have different dialogue.

While I was at it I added some records to my records page, go have a look. Do you think this game is worthy of its own scoreboards?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 12:51:56 PM by Arcorann »

Zigzagwolf

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2016, 01:13:29 PM »
Been working on some wiki stuff. Spell card pages are up. Story mode scripts will be up at some point - surprised no-one mentioned that Paradise Mode and Legacy Mode have different dialogue.

While I was at it I added some records to my records page, go have a look. Do you think this game is worthy of its own scoreboards?
Didn't really notice the different dialogue between the two modes, may I ask where I can see the recordpage? I think this game would be worth it to have it's own scoreboard page as far as I've seen, taking into consideration how much there seems to be to scoring this game; how I think the full game will be very interesting in terms of paradise mode atleast (kind of hoping that Legacy also has fruitgrazes, but I think it won't have those.)

Arcorann

• hey catgirl
  • Surprisingly unkempt
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2016, 11:12:33 AM »
This is the page I was talking about before.

Anyway, I want to make sure there's interest before putting a scoreboard in the High Scores forum. After all, even Phantasmagoria Trues only has a handful of posts.

Finally, gameplay page will be up shortly.

EDIT: Has anyone else had an issue where the game crashes during gameplay? I just went through Stage 3 and it crashed on me during the waterfall.

EDIT 2: Gameplay page is delayed. Story page has been started though. Any transcription help for the in-game text would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 01:51:30 PM by Arcorann »

ZM

• Overly Eager
  • Sanae~
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2016, 04:16:18 PM »
I say go for making a high score board. This game is just too fun.

Arcorann

• hey catgirl
  • Surprisingly unkempt
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2016, 09:09:03 AM »
Done. Working on Gameplay page now. Will post spell card comments soon.