Author Topic: For those interested: new THfont links  (Read 5882 times)

For those interested: new THfont links
« on: March 31, 2016, 05:56:13 PM »
Because links present in that topic are all dead now, I thought it was a good idea to hunt for THfont again and post valid links.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find ZUNPackage anymore so here's the best I found:
---
---

I only tested the "drum kit" one with help of BASSMIDI and it sounds okayish. I'd say... why not. The only good alternative if you really want the MIDI soundtrack to shine would be the Sound Canvas VA softsynth ($150), which I have to test yet. Either, have fun with those.

Also, special for that person on Reddit for reminding me this indirectly.

Also, I posting this topic because I'm not sure if bumping old threads is okay here (I swear I posted a reply on that other topic some time ago but it looks like I never posted there which is odd).
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 01:13:25 PM by Helepolis »
FM synthesis rocks. My blog.

Re: For those interested: new THfont links
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 04:09:31 AM »
You did post there, but your post was deleted because distributing rips of sounds from ANY sample-based synthesizer is illegal. That should be common sense.

And here we go again since you completely ignored what was said in that thread: Soundfonts are incapable of properly recreating the sounds of any synthesizer released after 1990. Most synths modify the sounds dynamically in some way (sometimes quite heavily) based on how you're playing. With soundfonts you're stuck with a dull, static snapshot of the sound. If that wasn't enough, 95% of the sounds in that soundfont don't even come from any Roland synth. You could grab a bunch of ripped Yamaha and/or Korg sounds, replace the trumpet with that poorly recorded thing from thfont and claim you have made a new Touhou/ZUN-style soundfont. It would be basically the same thing. It would sound nothing like what ZUN actually uses, but then again neither does thfont. Reuploading this thing doesn't really benefit anyone besides deaf posers and attention whores on YouTube who are so obsessed with spamming trumpets that they don't realize that everything else is way off.

Besides, the whole "lol I'll download thfont now all my random MIDIs will sound like touhou music" thing (which I believe is what you're doing) is just really silly. Things don't work like that even if you actually bought all of the synths ZUN has. Most of the sounds ZUN uses (which again aren't even in thfont) were originally made for Roland's JV, XP and XV series synths and their expansion boards. These are among some of the most overused synths of all time, but how many 90's and early 2000's games have tracks that could be easily mistaken for Touhou music? It's the way ZUN uses his instruments and effects that makes his style stand out. The same goes to almost any synth used by a well known video game music composer with a distinctive style.

There are dozens of better soundfonts you could be using instead of thfont if you're really just listening to random MIDIs. All equally illegal of course, even if the author doesn't mention where he got the samples from.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 06:02:11 AM by Romantique Tp »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Re: For those interested: new THfont links
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 01:15:11 PM »
I have no idea what happened to the previous, will look into that with the mod team. Although we don't remove such posts, but lock them so they can be an example.

As Romanitue TP had mentioned, these resources cannot be shared here nor we will keep the discussion about it here.

Locked.