Author Topic: Samurai Jack  (Read 2061 times)

commandercool

• alter cool
Samurai Jack
« on: March 13, 2016, 04:52:41 AM »
I've never seen Samurai Jack before, but recently I've been watching it while I do other stuff around the house (mostly playing Fire Emblem). I can't remember what caused me to want to watch it after not paying attention to it for years, but something did so I am.

It's pretty great. I'm a little over twenty episodes in and I don't think there's been one yet I didn't enjoy at least some. It's interesting and funny, the animation is great, and Aku's voice is the best thing I've ever heard. I seriously want his voice actor to narrate my life and every audio book from now on. There's also a surprising amount of classic sword and sorcery beefcake, with Jack getting stripped down to his underwear through various and battling dudes all ripped and half naked and shit like every other episode. That kind of thing would come off as ridiculous with a female hero, but it's refreshing to see with a male character every once in a while.

So I'm extremely late to the party on this one, but I can see why this show is so highly regarded. I never really watched Cartoon Network as a kid so I think I probably missed some stuff. But I love Adventure Time today and there's definitely a common thread between them. And I just found out this morning that apparently there's going to be a new season on Adult Swim later this year, so there's going to be more to watch. Pretty good.

Also, that episode where he wanders around in the ruins of his old village straight up has a cameo from Ogami Itto in it, which is cool.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
Re: Samurai Jack
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 08:59:31 AM »
Yesssssss. Lots of memories from this show. I mean it's a sgow that leaves an impression on you as a kid because it's different and focuses on atmosphere and showing not telling and all that good stuff.

One fight off the top of my head I remember fondly is the one in the tower of lights and shadows against the dude clad in all black, where Jack in turn covers himself in white and they jump between shadows as the sun sets and light becomes more and more scarce. So great.

EDIT: Fooooound it.
EDIT2: Bonus content. Goddammit now I'm just watching random crap.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 07:26:33 PM by BT »

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 09:18:59 AM »
The same section of CN (not sure specifically which; animation? director?) did the Clone Wars animated series as well, which I highly recommend. Provides Anakin some much needed character, gorgeously animated like Samurai Jack, and in general makes the prequels more tolerable.
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 01:33:48 AM »
And its coming back. Curse the fact that I have no access to Cartoon Network right now.

This was without question one of my, if not my absolute favorite peace of western animation during my highschool years, and I have been eagerly awaiting its conclusion; I hate when shows end without a real ending. Hell, in the 'last' episode, Jack wasn't really the focus. If only Mako (voice of Aku) was still alive; he and his voice were a treasure. :(