Author Topic: Boomer's random Touhou art. Latest: Hina Kagiyama and Gengetsu Fan Art  (Read 3964 times)

Boomer

• Lifeless Energy
  • Attributes and weaknesses are the same.
It has been a while since I took interest in drawing again.  After getting inspired by animators and manga artists, I have recently started to practise drawing once again.  I am very much impressed with my progress as of late, and you can definitely expect more from me in the future.
http://pre00.deviantart.net/811e/th/pre/i/2016/065/b/1/touhou_fan_art___rin__orin__kaenbyou_by_boomerbro-d9u3mhs.jpg
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 07:13:01 PM by Boomer »
I just know what I know...

Aoshi-shi

• Back at it again in the Land of Origin
  • maior e longinquo reverentia
Cute!

If I may add: Her hand is a little large and the waist area is a bit thin. It would help sell Orin's confident attitude if she had her other hand on her hip rather than behind her back (You already got one decently hand drawn, don't stop there!). There shouldn't be a gap between her thighs if her right leg is bending back; it gives the illusion of an extra joint.

Overall it's pretty solid. You've got potential to make some really awesome shading with graphite, so keep up the good work! Looking forward to more.  :)
Art Thread -->
Well gee, I have a Tumblr now.  | Twitter
 What a nice day to complain about mobage!
 |PADherder

Boomer

• Lifeless Energy
http://img09.deviantart.net/d996/i/2016/069/d/9/touhou_fan_art___yuuka_kazami_by_boomerbro-d9un2w9.jpg
Already, a new one from me.  This one I started drawing around 2 days after posting my drawing of Orin, and it took me 2 days to finish (actually 2 hours if you remove the break times).  I would definitely consider this my best one so far.

In any case, I want to learn to draw better backgrounds along with the characters, so advice on that wouldn't hurt; what things I should consider and the like.

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
There's actually no rule to this and people did a lot of this like years ago it seems looking back, but generally people find it convenient to collect their art in one thread. It makes it easier to view everyone's comments about your stuff too. Makes things less cluttered though... may give the impression of AAA being a bit more 'inhabited' I suppose.
About your art, I'm looking at the Orin pic and thinking that that hand is drawn really nicely, good job!
(Why don't you post that Hina pic too? She gets like no love)
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

Boomer

• Lifeless Energy
With the amount of drawings that I plan to post on this site, collecting a series of them in one thread does sound like a good idea.  It was actually what I planned on doing, but I didn't really have enough drawings to do so.

As for that Hina drawing, I deliberately held off on that one because I don't a suitable background yet.  Though the character is obviously the main focus, I want to add more content to the drawing.

Aoshi-shi

• Back at it again in the Land of Origin
  • maior e longinquo reverentia
With the amount of drawings that I plan to post on this site, collecting a series of them in one thread does sound like a good idea.  It was actually what I planned on doing, but I didn't really have enough drawings to do so.

As for that Hina drawing, I deliberately held off on that one because I don't a suitable background yet.  Though the character is obviously the main focus, I want to add more content to the drawing.

You should also consider experimenting with line thicknesses in your drawings; it might give your drawings that extra pop! to it.

@Perspective:

One thing I'd suggest to get started on perspective is to make great use out of perspective grids. They might take a while to make depending on the complexity of your scene, but it makes everything look so much better. I have Pat Quinn's Perspective book and it seems pretty decent. I'm not sure what other books would be best about the subject, maybe other people here can help with this?

Use of foreground, middle ground and background would be another thing to think about when learning about this stuff as well.
Art Thread -->
Well gee, I have a Tumblr now.  | Twitter
 What a nice day to complain about mobage!
 |PADherder

Boomer

• Lifeless Energy
I was originally going to wait until I finished a third drawing before making this thread, but I ultimately decided against it because I was impatient (yea, I'll work on that).  In any case, I experimented quite a bit with these two drawings (more so with the Hina drawing) and I am mildly impressed with the result.

Hina: http://pre15.deviantart.net/7a5e/th/pre/i/2016/071/b/6/touhou_fan_art___hina_kagiyama_by_boomerbro-d9usedi.jpg
For this particular drawing, I wanted to base it off of the "spin, Hina, spin" meme, so I tried to draw her in a pose representing such.  The end result was okay but a lot better than I expected; I have much to learn about foreshortening.  I don't know what it is about Hina, but I found myself rather attracted to her since I first played MoF.

Gengetsu: http://pre13.deviantart.net/e772/th/pre/i/2016/072/c/5/touhou_fan_art___gengetsu_by_boomerbro-d9ux7r1.jpg
I used a new pen to ink this one and frankly, I think it turned out quite well; I will probably use it for a while.  I also attempted a new drawing method which I will also probably use for a while.  This drawing I think may have turned out even better than my Yuuka drawing.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 08:14:58 AM by Helepolis »

Whatever 'new drawing method' you came up with, it doesn't fix the fundamental mistakes that you make in every single drawing. You clearly lack understanding of form and anatomy and should be working on those lines instead of whatever 'experimentation' you've been doing. If you don't like to do studies, then the very best you can do is to try as many times to construct a head properly without tacking on animu symbols on a vaguely conelike shape.

Basically do http://i.imgur.com/hXG6mZZ.png or http://i.imgur.com/SzlpNXG.jpg instead of http://i.imgur.com/bzzMK0X.png

You can also improve by sticking to updating a single thread instead of posting one for every single drawing you've made. This is the third one in two weeks. It's not funny anymore.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
@NotaPirate Let us refrain from outputting harsh toned feedback or unnecessary words. Constructive criticism or crucial feedback isn't a problem when done in a mature and civil way. We don't expect people to hug-kiss + output feedback at the same time but we don't appreciate harsh toned posts.

I can understand what you're pointing out but the tone is unnecessary. Your last line is a valid point but again the tone is poor. Leave such things to us mods by using the report button.

I'll merge all threads from Boomer into a single thread and give it a generic name. Feel free to modify as you wish but please stick to a single thread when posting random personal art.

--Helepolis

Edit Merged and done.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 08:17:02 AM by Helepolis »