Author Topic: ZUN announces PS4 version of Touhou 14.5 ULiL  (Read 207522 times)

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
ZUN announces PS4 version of Touhou 14.5 ULiL
« on: February 26, 2016, 12:05:42 PM »
UPDATE2:
Release Date: Dec 8, 2016
Price:
Physical Edition: JPY 4700 (w/ tax)
Digital Edition: JPY 3800 (w/ tax)
First Printing Bonus Item: OST CD

In the still ongoing Nikenme Radio stream, ZUN and today's guest Unabara Iruka confirmed that Twilight Frontier is in the process of porting Touhou Shinpiroku ~ Urban Legend in Limbo. to the PlayStation 4 console. The game will "not be ported as is", and will have additional content.

No PS Vita port is planned at the moment.

EDIT:
Some details here.

UPDATE1:
Reitaisai 13 reveal of Reisen here.

Tasofro's page for PS4 version:
http://www.tasofro.net/touhou145ps4/

Trailer 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffrMJ-SDctU
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 02:18:15 PM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
Re: ZUN announces PS4 version of Touhou 14.5 ULiL
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 12:12:00 PM »
Hopefully that additional content eventually comes to PC users as well.

Still, wow. Pretty damn big deal.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Plubio

• 宇宙少年
    • Suzunaan
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 12:16:30 PM »
I'm afraid.
I'm so afraid of this.

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 01:05:31 PM »
Oh, wow. Hmm. Hmmmmm.

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 01:14:43 PM »
Well, this is certainly some surprising news! I'll be interested to see how this goes, and what "additional content" will be added.

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 01:15:02 PM »
Neat! Curious to see what this additional content is.

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 01:36:22 PM »
I'm afraid.
I'm so afraid of this.

I can't help but agree. This is a big change in the status quo, and I'm not sure I like it.

Hopefully everything turns out OK. I mean, they'll add extra content (which is very likely to come to PC too) and they might even fix the game's netcode (big if, but an if nonetheless), but I can't stop being nervous.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 02:26:05 PM »
Some choice dialogue from the stream:
ZUN: "What to release at Reitaisai", that's a big deal to me too.
ZUN: Got to secure my childcare leave this year, that's what I've been thinking.
ZUN: I'm hard at work doing all sorts of preparations for Reitaisai.
Okonogi: First you say childcare leave, then you say you are hard at work. You are losing me.

As they kept talking about what Tasofro is developing, they seemed to be building up to something... Until ZUN broke out that they are porting ULiL with addtional content.

ZUN: No voices. It would be a pity if we add voices.
Okonogi: Fully voiced by ZUN.
Unabara: During ULiL's development, "let ZUN-san do the system voices" is a topic that came up many times.

Okonogi: It would be great if you can do the recitation voice.
ZUN: [Mimicking an audio book voice] "... thus Marisa said."

ZUN: No release for Vita?
Unabara: We are not considering that right now.

"Letting ZUN voice all of Touhou" is not as odd an idea as you may think. It may not come through in English translations, but as a matter of fact, all Touhou games' interface messages, descriptions, narrations and manuals are written in ZUN's masculine voice. When you play a Touhou game, you are essentially listening to him narrating the story.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 02:49:05 PM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 03:36:31 PM »
I wonder what it means for future official games.

Plubio

• 宇宙少年
    • Suzunaan
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 03:41:05 PM »
Mmmmm. Mmmm.
ZUN please don't tease us this hard.

EDIT: unless he's talking about ULiL's port.
Seems unlikely at first glance tho.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 03:44:35 PM by Plubio »

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 04:11:44 PM »
Things seems to be changing in Touhou scenes as a whole now. For the better I guess? Well I dunno lol. But let us hope that the next comiket Touhou would at least stand up to the sword guys.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2016, 05:14:14 PM »
"Letting ZUN voice all of Touhou" is not as odd an idea as you may think. It may not come through in English translations, but as a matter of fact, all Touhou games' interface messages, descriptions, narrations and manuals are written in ZUN's masculine voice. When you play a Touhou game, you are essentially listening to him narrating the story.
The way he said Hakurei Reimu and Ocult Ball in English made me lose it. Too perfect.  Didn't they called it a possible DLC as : Sexy Ossan Voice  ? :V

Also Cuc I was curious, what was the think about Reitaisai? Mid-edit: Never mind, after rereading carefully it answers my question

Unrelated to the stream, but in relation to PS4 > I noticed that Adventure of Scarlet Curiosity is being ported to PS4 too. Whoo!

Maple

• Mukyuu!
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2016, 05:22:45 PM »
What's up with the interest in Sony's Playstation and Vita, instead of microsoft or Nintendo products?  Not that i'm complaining, it's all the same for me since i only have a laptop and not any console.

Is it the (Japanese) market share of Sony or the ease to (re-)program software already made for PC, or something else altogether?

Plubio

• 宇宙少年
    • Suzunaan
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2016, 08:00:14 PM »
What's up with the interest in Sony's Playstation and Vita, instead of microsoft or Nintendo products?  Not that i'm complaining, it's all the same for me since i only have a laptop and not any console.

Is it the (Japanese) market share of Sony or the ease to (re-)program software already made for PC, or something else altogether?

Pretty much the Playstation controller, as well as the console's arquitecture.
As far as I know, developing things in WiiU is kinda a pain. And.... XBox? What's that? (at least in Japan, rofl)

EDIT: PS2 as well was a huge success in Japan, so I guess it's something like a "standard"
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 08:03:25 PM by Plubio »

Drake

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2016, 08:54:36 PM »
HAKUREI REIMU

OCCALT BOLL

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2016, 09:52:26 PM »
Can somebody please explain how this is "scary" news because I just don't see it. ???

As far as I know, ZUN still has more-or-less total control over the Touhou franchise and even if he ports an official fighting game to console I honestly don't see how that's suddenly hearkening a total shift in the production and distribution of the series. Sony, Tasafro, and really anybody else cannot force him to do anything that he does not want to do himself; it's made it pretty clear at this point that he works on Touhou purely because he enjoys it and not for any sense of "profit" or "fame" or anything. If anything this is probably him trying to spread a fighting game onto console since last I check the Japanese population on average do not see the PC as a gaming platform in comparison to consoles, so I'd imagine a vast majority of JP fighting game players play on PS4 rather than PC.

Remember how DDC on Playism JP and Playism US were supposed to hearken a new age of Touhou digital distribution? Yeah...

Honestly I think people need to chill out. I have no idea what is spooky about this news, but if there's even a chance that it's sparked by some fear of ZUN "selling out" or something then trust me, he's probably the last famous indie developer you have to worry about at this point.

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

Plubio

• 宇宙少年
    • Suzunaan
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2016, 10:30:20 PM »
Honestly I think people need to chill out. I have no idea what is spooky about this news, but if there's even a chance that it's sparked by some fear of ZUN "selling out" or something then trust me, he's probably the last famous indie developer you have to worry about at this point.

I know ZUN won't "sell us" or something like that but you know I still have the right to worry a bit, even when I know nothing will happen.
Look at it in perspective ? is the first official Touhou game that gets released in a platform different than PC. That's huge.
Of course I believe this is not a problem at all but is impressive.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2016, 12:16:05 AM »
ZUN: No release for Vita?
Unabara: We are not considering that right now.

kek
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2016, 12:49:03 AM »
I mean, they'll add extra content (which is very likely to come to PC too) and they might even fix the game's netcode (big if, but an if nonetheless), but I can't stop being nervous.
I hope for the same as well.  The prospect of Touhou being console-exclusive just doesn't sit well with me, and possibly many others.

MetalStudios

• The Paladin of Phantasm
  • One day I'll get better
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2016, 03:16:21 AM »
I wonder if one day we all will fondly look back to the time when Touhou was just a doujinshi series
It'll be interesting to see where the series will go here on out, hopefully in a successful direction and ZUN seems pretty damn smart, I don't think we have to worry about any buy-outs or things as drastic as that.
"Do you believe in gravity? That there's a reason why we meet?"

Lollipop

• stay woke
  • literally and figuratively dying
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2016, 03:49:09 AM »
I'm okay with this. The more fans, the better!
Touhou 1CCS:
Hard: LLS, EoSD(NB), PCB(NB), IN, MoF, TD, DDC(NB), LoLK
Lunatic: EoSD, PCB, DDC, LoLK
Extra: LLS, EoSD, PCB(Extra&Phantasm), IN, MoF, SA, DDC, LoLK
Current Focus: 1cc SA Hard, or an Extra

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2016, 04:39:26 AM »
The prospect of Touhou being console-exclusive just doesn't sit well with me, and possibly many others.

This made me chuckle because when you really think about it, Touhou is a "console" exclusive. I consider PC to be a console and since Touhou is basically for the PC, it's a console exclusive. I welcome the move for TasFro to port their game to Playstation. Good on them for branching their game outside of the PC community.

To all you people who are worrying that ZUN is going to go big business because an official game is being released on Playstation, your worries are for naught. I don't see how releasing a game onto the Playstation store makes you a sellout. If anything, I hope that one day ZUN releases all of his games to mediums other than PC... spread the love and let Touhou grow bigger!

P.S - InB4 PS4 ULiL is only available on Japan Playstation store.  :V

Shadowlupus

• Crimson Blade Hidden Amidst the Darkness
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2016, 05:11:56 AM »
This is definitely a BIG news. I also want to see what this additional content is. Maybe a new character/Urban Legend? That would be cool since IIRC,
Spoiler:
the Urban Legend is still continuing in the manga.
Or we might get a challenge mode, or any interesting stuffs.

However, I have to bring up one interesting point.

IIRC, ZUN says that Touhou fighting games like IaMP, SWR, HM are considered to be semi-officials. Yes, he is the one making the story, dialogues, spell card names and other stuffs but Tasofro is also the one making the in-game background, animating characters' sprite and attacks so some of the in-game elements in the game cannot be used as reference (unless ZUN says so) like stages' appearance or what the skill/spell looks like.

So, this means ZUN is still circumventing the whole "bringing official Touhou game on the PS4" for now, as the fighting games are semi-official ones. I'm not saying this is bad thing. Who knows? he might be testing the water before moving on to bringing the genuine offical game on the PS4 in the future.

Drake

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2016, 05:20:10 AM »
P.S - InB4 PS4 ULiL is only available on Japan Playstation store.  :V
It likely will be exclusive, at least to start. There's a reason none of the other Play,Doujin! material is currently available outside japanese PSN. I think it's safe to assume ULiL will go through the same if not similar channels.

Both, apparently. The PS4 devkit reportedly plays nicely with PC development, and just in general the Playstation userbase is large in Japan.

Remember how DDC on Playism JP and Playism US were supposed to hearken a new age of Touhou digital distribution? Yeah...
We still haven't seen the results of this experiment, really. It's hard to say what will happen, but I don't think it's a realistic expectation for things to be released digitally right away, and nobody knows if releasing old titles was ever a plan.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2016, 09:05:38 AM »
We still haven't seen the results of this experiment, really. It's hard to say what will happen, but I don't think it's a realistic expectation for things to be released digitally right away, and nobody knows if releasing old titles was ever a plan.

We haven't seen the results, but I think it's reasonable to assume that if they were any good we'd have seen them try to release LoLK at some point after it was released. I doubt it takes that long to prepare for distribution, especially since it didn't seem to have any real changes.

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2016, 09:25:46 PM »
"Letting ZUN voice all of Touhou" is not as odd an idea as you may think. It may not come through in English translations, but as a matter of fact, all Touhou games' interface messages, descriptions, narrations and manuals are written in ZUN's masculine voice.

What do you mean by "masculine voice?"  I haven't heard any voice acting in Touhou.  Does Japanese have masculine and feminine ways of speaking?

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2016, 01:41:32 AM »
Does Japanese have masculine and feminine ways of speaking?

Yes. It's usually pretty easy to tell. For the record, Marisa's famous "ze" is a masculine particle, so it makes her sound like a bit of a tomboy.

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2016, 01:44:01 AM »
Yes. It's usually pretty easy to tell. For the record, Marisa's famous "ze" is a masculine particle, so it makes her sound like a bit of a tomboy.

I read the translations, so it's not easy for me to tell.  Waht should I look out for, assuming that comes through into English?

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2016, 02:18:29 AM »
The "voice" that cuc mentioned was referring to ZUN's narrative tone.

For translations though, Marisa is written to talk more casually, like she'll drop "g"s from the ends of words. (talking = talkin', etc.)

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2016, 02:26:53 AM »
I would say it's impossible to tell in most existing translations, both because English doesn't have any obviously gendered language markers and because the translations have been made by a variety of people with a variety of skill levels over the course of more than a decade.