Author Topic: The X-Files  (Read 1970 times)

commandercool

• alter cool
The X-Files
« on: February 09, 2016, 02:32:40 AM »
Anybody else watching the new season? I'm a big X-Files fan, but virtually nobody is a fan of all of the X-Files. Like most people I trailed off in the later seasons, and personally I never really cared for the "mythos" episodes, preferring the standalone ones.

I just finished watching the third episode. The first two were closely tied into the story arc, and frankly they didn't do much for me. Parts of them are really well-done. They spend a lot of time addressing how a 2016 X-Files is different from a 90s X-Files and a lot of that is very interesting. Technologically, politically, and culturally the old show doesn't make sense in modern day, and the new show knows that. In large part that's addressed by a flip-flopping of Mulder and Scully's characters, and that's kind of interesting. But ultimately nothing in those episodes felt important enough to justify why the show was back. Even if a lot of stuff technically happened it was just same old X-Files stuff. And the effects were surprisingly not up-to-date, as small of a problem as that is. Or do most TV shows have effects this bad?

The third episode though really did it for me. Just as I was about to write the show of as mediocre and a little pointless along comes a Darin Morgan episode to make everything super fun.
Spoiler:
Rhys Darby is in it and he's just Murray from Flight of the Conchords, but he plays a lizard man who can shoot blood out of his eyes who gets bitten by a human and turns into a were-human.

The cast, which is the main thing anyone watches this show for, is as great as always. And Kumail Nanjiani's small role is a lot of fun. I've been listening to his X-Files podcast since it launched, and it's nice to see such a huge fan get to participate in his favorite show. That's rare and cool. So I'm still not totally sold on how necessary this all is, but it's certainly not a horribly botched affair like that second fucking movie was.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
Re: The X-Files
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 03:31:12 AM »
The first episode was whatever.  It felt like more of the x-files movie.

The second episode was really solid.

I also just watched the third episode and
Spoiler:
I can't stop laughing.

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 06:04:27 AM »
I actually liked the second X-Files movie. And I really liked the COPS/X-Files crossover (well, fake COPS). Haven't seen the new series, though.

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 05:45:34 PM »
Second episode was basically "everyone liked Home / F. Emasculata right?" and totally spot on return to Sunday nights in  junior high for me.  Third episode was just amazing 
Spoiler:
Scully has a puppy again!!!

Also,  it's been a while but I thought the whole big to-do they made over Gibson Praise was because of
Spoiler:
him having alien DNA
which was seems to be not nearly the same level of specialness now?  Would be a shame if they completely dropped that thread given episodes 1 and 2.

Totally lost track of time last night and missed  the episode so I'll have to catch up later today.