Author Topic: Anime Suggestions for a newcomer ?  (Read 27275 times)

Monarda

• Tactician that has a soft spot for cuteness.
  • Art by Amibazh
Anime Suggestions for a newcomer ?
« on: February 03, 2016, 08:09:30 PM »
So i've been thinking about starting to watch some animes, but i don't have any ideas as to what, anyone can help me ?
My last anime was Girls Und Panzer (it's written like this if i'm not wrong, i don't watch much anime).
I like something storydriven, nothing lewd if possible, cute stuff>hot stuff for me, or something with mysteries and such.
Anyone can suggest any ?

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
Re: Anime Suggestions for a newcomer ?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 08:22:49 PM »
I like something storydriven, nothing lewd if possible, cute stuff>hot stuff for me, or something with mysteries and such.

Hyouka satisfies all of these requirements, while also being absolutely gorgeous.  The show's stories are broken into miniature segments (better for the show's particular brand of mysteries) and the show has very strong character development as well.

Edit: I guess the ED is kinda lewd, but you can skip that if it's not your thing <_<
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 08:27:08 PM by Edible »

Drake

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 08:50:03 PM »
seconding hyouka because very yes

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 09:11:23 PM »
When I hear "cute, story-driven, mysteries and such" the first thing that comes to mind is Yuri Kuma Arashi. It's a short, bizarre show from last year that's a little hard to describe succinctly, but if you can put up with strangeness you might like it.

And even though it only fulfills two of your criteria (and has been described by the creators as deliberately, aggressively un-cute) I always recommend people who are new to anime check out Psycho-Pass. It's a mostly-straightforward sci-fi crime drama that I think is worth looking at if you're new to the medium because it gives a nice contrast with cutesier schoolgirl-centric fare and presents a spectrum of the kinds of anime that are out there. And it's not dissimilar to western movies and TV in a lot of ways, which makes it a nice stepping stone from American media into Japanese media. And, you know, it's really good.

And finally while I'm usually hesitant to recommend it to people who are new to anime it's going to get spoiled for you prerry quick if it hasn't been already, so you should probably try Puella Magi Madoka Magica. It's a short series, technically fulfills all of your criteria, and is probably the most influential anime from the last few years. I won't say too much in a futile attempt to avoid spoilers, but if you like it you'll love it.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Edible

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 10:00:33 PM »
:getdown:

I guess, yeah. I don't know, it's kind of meta-lewd. I probably shouldn't make that distinction here, but it's not filed under "lewd" in my brain index.

Monarda

• Art by Amibazh
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 10:05:58 PM »
I guess, yeah. I don't know, it's kind of meta-lewd. I probably shouldn't make that distinction here, but it's not filed under "lewd" in my brain index.
Then what is lewd for you ? ?3?

Thanks for suggestions, and Edible why is your avatar gif so hipnotizing ?!?
 I waste so much time every time i see it.
And btw how do you say "Enemy spotted!" In japanese anyway ? Tenki Haken ? I can't remember.

Edible

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 10:10:23 PM »
Everyone loves saber lion and her eating habits.

And btw how do you say "Enemy spotted!" In japanese anyway ? Tenki Haken ? I can't remember.

If you're talking about the oft-repeated phrase in Valkyria Chronicles, it's teki hakken / 敵発見

MetalStudios

• The Paladin of Phantasm
  • One day I'll get better
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 11:19:31 PM »
Jojo is cutest anime
but no seriously Jojo has an awesome story
Manime for life
"Do you believe in gravity? That there's a reason why we meet?"

Monarda

• Art by Amibazh
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 11:29:10 PM »
If you're talking about the oft-repeated phrase in Valkyria Chronicles, it's teki hakken / 敵発見
Thanks i know (kinda) how to pronounce it but not how to write, i really liked that game, obviously, i hunger for strategy, cute stuff and beauty without late-gen graphics.
I will learn a bit of japanese this way. ~(^w^)~

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 11:36:38 PM »
Then what is lewd for you ? ?3?

To me lewdness implies an intent to just arouse or shock, whereas Yuri Kuma uses bouncing anime breasts and girls pouring honey on their naked bodies as a thematic device (which has come up surprisingly often lately). But I get that that's an insane distinction to make, so in retrospect, maybe don't watch it. Or maybe still do and just quit if it gets to be too much for you, since it isn't that much of the show. But yeah, it is still obviously titillating even if there's an ulterior motive for it.

CenturyEgg

• Gentle older sister types are the best!
    • My world cosplay account
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 01:02:26 AM »
Gakkou gurashi is really good for visual storytelling and features some cute characters. I reccomend rewatching it once you are done to see all the visual cues dropped in by the animation team.

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 02:03:36 AM »
Death Note and Ghost in the Shell: SAC are two big favorites of mine that I'd recommend to any newcomer.  These are the closest ones I could think that are story driven.  Maybe Gungrave would qualify too, another one I really like.  I'm not sure what qualifies as story driven or not, some examples would be helpful of what you want or maybe don't want.  I usually think in terms of action vs comedy vs drama, the setting or main activity and finally the type of cast (especially, e.g., traditional anime teenage characters vs not).

Do you want something with cute characters or were you just reinforcing why you didn't want fanservice?  If you want cute, there's lots of stuff to like but I tend to assume newcomers to anime aren't interested.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 02:10:10 AM by dosboot »

DNAbc

• mafia is suffering
  • but I don't exactly hate that
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 05:23:12 AM »
Please

Idolm@ster rocks everything you needed, animation, story driven and cute but without lewd stuff.

The last arc can get pretty damn depressing thougj
>Link to my Steam Account: Add me! http://steamcommunity.com/id/9898981-02
--------------------------------------

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 05:54:54 AM »
It took this thread to make me realize that I haven't watched a lot of stuff that's both cute and story-driven. ;>;

If you're ever looking for a good comedy, slice of life anime though I would recommend Nichijou, Acchi Kocchi, and Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!

Also, I'm not sure if it counts as cute or not, but I thought that Classroom☆Crisis had a pretty good story.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2016, 07:16:04 AM »
Gotta put Shirobako on your queue after you've watched a few shows. It's about anime girls making anime so you'll just be confused if you're new, but it's totally up your alley and by the same guy who directed Panzer.

Watch the Ghibli movies if you haven't. Kiki's Delivery Service was cute and story driven.

If you'll take romance over mystery, there's always Toradora.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 07:22:46 AM by BT »

CF7

• Can you feel the LOVE tonight?
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 03:22:15 PM »
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!
Kinda second this.
Sometimes rumors are just... rumors

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2016, 04:20:06 PM »
The fact that it took this long to suggest Card Captor Sakura is saddening.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2016, 05:07:31 PM »
If you're ever looking for a good comedy, slice of life anime though I would recommend Nichijou, Acchi Kocchi, and Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!
I second all three of these, however I only recommend S1 of Chuu2. Season 2 is.......eh.

I would also heavily recommend Kanon (2006). That is still probably my favourite anime of all time and it does fit your not-lewd, cute, and story-driven anime (tons of funny stuff and definitely drama).

I also recommend Little Witch Academia. Just two OVAs but really good stuff.

I would finally recommend a classic, Toradora!! However this is mostly if you're into the Kugyuu tsundere trope. If you are or you're okay with it, I would heavily recommend it.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 05:14:10 PM »
Oh man, Little Witch Academia is a great suggestion. Yeah I second that.

Monarda

• Art by Amibazh
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2016, 08:01:08 PM »
Commander, i'm not sure, but that avatar seems awfully like a person of a Start Screen of a friend's PSVita game. Is it the same one ? Maybe i'm just imagining stuff.

Edible

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 08:05:48 PM »
Commander, i'm not sure, but that avatar seems awfully like a person of a Start Screen of a friend's PSVita game. Is it the same one ? Maybe i'm just imagining stuff.

Danganronpa.  Will be on Steam soon!

Monarda

• Art by Amibazh
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 08:39:35 PM »
So it is a visual novel with murders, trials and a mastermind trapping a group of people to play a deadly game.
So basically Phoenix Wright + Zero Escape fused together.
(Virtue's Last Reward was my only Visual novel btw and i loved it, is there any prequels or sequels ?)

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2016, 08:51:55 PM »
I'm playing Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney for the first time right now, and I think it's fair to say they're similar. Danganronpa has many years of UI refinement though, so it's a much smoother game, and the trials get much more convoluted (in a good way).

I don't know how it compares to the more recent Phoenix Wright games, but I finished each Danganronpa game in less than 48 hours because I couldn't put it down, whereas I'm finding it to be a painful chore to finish up the last few scenes of Ace Sttorney. Can't comment on Zero Escape.

Monarda

• Art by Amibazh
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2016, 10:04:15 PM »
I'm playing Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney for the first time right now, and I think it's fair to say they're similar. Danganronpa has many years of UI refinement though, so it's a much smoother game, and the trials get much more convoluted (in a good way).

I don't know how it compares to the more recent Phoenix Wright games, but I finished each Danganronpa game in less than 48 hours because I couldn't put it down, whereas I'm finding it to be a painful chore to finish up the last few scenes of Ace Attorney. Can't comment on Zero Escape.
It's true but you must take in consideration that the first game was a GBA version, so there wasn't much room for tweaks and such, the later games refined those formulas, an example would be Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright.
As for Zero Escape if you don't know it's a visual novel about a group of people who were abducted by a person named Zero, who put them to play the Nonary Game, and the people that reached 9 points could leave, but would have to let the others trapped forever if they did so.
It uses a lot of philosophical and scientific material, such as Schrodinger's Cat, the Prisoner's dillema, a TON of diverging timelines, and much more. Hope this helps.
Long post is long
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 10:06:10 PM by Starlighthawk »

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2016, 11:19:08 PM »

I don't know how it compares to the more recent Phoenix Wright games, but I finished each Danganronpa game in less than 48 hours because I couldn't put it down, whereas I'm finding it to be a painful chore to finish up the last few scenes of Ace Sttorney. Can't comment on Zero Escape.
Dood, Ace Attorney and Danganronpa have different appeals. You play Danganronpa for the plot and quirky anime characters and the game prods you through every gameplay element by spelling out what you have to do or what's going on. Or drops in random minigames for no discernible reason. Ace Attorney is story-centric too but definitely takes its gameplay more seriously. If you don't play Ace Attorney for the mystery solving it'll obviously be a slog.

And Zero Escape is just a huuuuge block of text "take ALL the branching paths until you 100% it" with some puzzles in the way, though I'm probably doing it a disservice with that description.

Monarda

• Art by Amibazh
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2016, 11:32:45 PM »
And Zero Escape is just a huuuuge block of text "take ALL the branching paths until you 100% it" with some puzzles in the way, though I'm probably doing it a disservice with that description.
I think that's a bit radical but i know what you mean, i played it because i wanted to know everything about the story and because i connected with the characters, especially Lua Luna. I also liked how the last ending is like a representation of what the player would be thinking after playing the game.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2016, 11:49:17 PM »
It's true but you must take in consideration that the first game was a GBA version, so there wasn't much room for tweaks and such, the later games refined those formulas, an example would be Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright.
Long post is long

Yeah, I get that. And that's why even though I honestly didn't really enjoy Ace Attorney I'm going to give at least the next game a try. I understand that it's old and they've probably improved a lot. I like the core characters at least even though I found most of the cast kind of annoying, so as long as they're the main thing carried through to the next game I'll probably enjoy that one more. Especially if the navigation gets tightened up.

Dood, Ace Attorney and Danganronpa have different appeals. You play Danganronpa for the plot and quirky anime characters and the game prods you through every gameplay element by spelling out what you have to do or what's going on. Or drops in random minigames for no discernible reason. Ace Attorney is story-centric too but definitely takes its gameplay more seriously. If you don't play Ace Attorney for the mystery solving it'll obviously be a slog.

I'm not quite done with Ace Attorney yet and I haven't played any of the other games, but I don't think there's a significant difference there. Neither game will let you miss any evidence (as far as I know), so you get railroaded through the detective parts either way. But in Ace Attorney you always know what's going on in the trials unless the game is deliberately tricking you or withholding information, whereas in Danganronpa sometimes you can actually get thrown for a loop, especially in the second game where I honestly didn't know what was going on a couple of times.

Both of them are much more story-based than gameplay-based, but I find the gameplay segments in Danganronpa to at least be easier to power through. Being fed all of the information all of the time at least means no wandering around clicking on things at random trying to figure out how to trigger the next story progression. But yeah, as of right now I don't agree at all that Phoenix Wright takes its gameplay more seriously.

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2016, 02:41:28 PM »
Chuunibyou, but I recommend Season 1 only. Season 2 kind of ruined it for me a bit.
Hyouka
Pretty much any KyoAni anime...

Little Witch Academia
Shirobako
Yuru Yuri

Are you by any chance into Magical Girls that is somewhat mysterious and deep, and romance/drama?

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

Monarda

• Art by Amibazh
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2016, 04:25:43 PM »
Are you by any chance into Magical Girls that is somewhat mysterious and deep, and romance/drama?
If it doesn't have too much romance, fire away.