Author Topic: Charlotte wrecked me and I need help T~T (spoilers duh)  (Read 6166 times)

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
Charlotte wrecked me and I need help T~T (spoilers duh)
« on: January 03, 2016, 01:54:46 PM »
I made a terrible mistake. I marathoned Charlotte last night and idk what to feel anymore. Jun Maeda why do you do this to me T-T. I knew coming in it was going to have typical Key-isms but it didn't soften the blow. Yes the pacing was kinda dumb at the end, but ugh it hurt so much. I love Nao to pieces and Yuu went from typical invincible teenager and slowly gained a soul, then had it ripped out and crushed only to redeem it again. AND THEN EVERYTHING UGH I'm so sad there are no winners in this T-----T.

I want more. I want him to make a VN with this, I want to know every minor detail of every character and see all the crazy routes and good/bad ends he could come up with. I wish he had been given 26 episodes or a second season but I am still mightily satisfied by it and I would be thrilled if he would expand on it further, anime or VN wise.

Also I still absolutely adore Lia, she is my favorite I've Girl <3. Jun Maeda can compose an amazing soundtrack.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 01:56:58 PM by helvetica »

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
Re: Charlotte wrecked me and I need help T~T (spoilers duh)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 03:43:07 PM »

yuyukos

• ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give Techies
  • ༼ つ ◕◡◕ ༽つ Techies were given.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 04:00:05 PM »
After Angel Beats, I have a standing prohibition against any Key/Maeda Jun anime. The only thing I can offer you is second-hand pizza sauce memes. :V
TF2Items | TF2B | Steam | Twitter
3DS FC - 2165-6416-7852

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 05:24:48 PM »
Hey now, dissing Angel Beats?  >=|

As an aside, if it had this kinda effect perhals I should watch this anime too.  Would be good to have another to binge on sometime!
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 07:32:12 PM »
After Angel Beats, I have a standing prohibition against any Key/Maeda Jun anime. The only thing I can offer you is second-hand pizza sauce memes. :V
Spoiler:
Imouto is kill
Spoiler:
??

While it's not Jun Maeda, Rewrite adaptation is coming up this summer. Soooo you have that to look forward to.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 09:24:31 PM »

Same

Hey now, dissing Angel Beats?  >=|

As an aside, if it had this kinda effect perhals I should watch this anime too.  Would be good to have another to binge on sometime!

It has its problems but it is very good imho. The only thing I feel disappointed about is the fact he really needed 26 episodes to truly flesh things out (there's a lot of material they only briefly covered) but like everything Maeda his characters are engaging and very human and make you feel extremely attached to them.

If this is any sort of endorsement, normally I can't binge shows anymore. I will get bored about 4-5 eps in regardless of how good it is. My ADD is awful. This show I had to finish in one sitting it was so good and it hooked me so strongly. I still haven't stopped thinking about it and I want moooooooreeeeeee.

I cried, a lot. Just watch it and enjoy the ride.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 09:30:12 PM by helvetica »

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 10:53:57 PM »

Personally, I think the entire drama portion of Charlotte was handled poorly.
A few of my random complaints include:
  • I didn't like how waited until the next episode to officially announce Yui's death, it should have been done as the last bit of that episode.
  • The concepts introduced at the end aren't fleshed out at all, which kind of sucks.
  • Nao is too perfect, I was kind of expecting a better arc for her. (At least she's cute?)
  • Given the length of the series, I feel like too much time was spent establishing MC-kun's power.
There's more that I can't think of right now since it's been a while since I've watched it but yeah.
The slice of life was entertaining though, so I'll give it that.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 10:58:51 PM by Dormio Ergo Sum »

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 12:05:08 AM »
This is where I think he needed more episodes. There's nothing particularly wrong with the concepts and the set pieces he put into place in the dramatic part, he just didn't have time to flesh it out.

Like Nao getting beat up is never really explored, or realistically any of their lives before being sheltered by the school. Then their older brother is introduced and any character development basically stops because he has too many things he has to resolve.

The problem is moving the drama set pieces earlier and getting rid of some of the ESPer of the day episodes would destroy any character development Nao and Yuu had. Ayumi's death wouldn't have hurt nearly as much if it had happened in episode 2-3, which is where it'd need to happen to give enough time for the drama to work out with 13 episodes.

Basically.... Maeda needs to go back to VNs, and let other people adapt a specific route to anime. It's clear he knows how to write a story and do serious world building, he just doesn't know how to do it within the limitations of an anime show.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 12:06:45 AM by helvetica »

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 02:49:06 AM »
The problem is moving the drama set pieces earlier and getting rid of some of the ESPer of the day episodes would destroy any character development Nao and Yuu had. Ayumi's death wouldn't have hurt nearly as much if it had happened in episode 2-3, which is where it'd need to happen to give enough time for the drama to work out with 13 episodes.
I don't think that we needed to waste an entire episode on the camping trip just to establish that MC-kun is familiar with Zenith and hinting towards his ability to make use of other's powers by having him break the guy's fall towards the end of the episode. It could have easily been done in half the episode. It's things like this I have an issue with when it's clearly known that they have a very limited amount of time to work with.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 02:51:43 AM by Dormio Ergo Sum »

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 08:01:25 AM »
Which is why Maeda needs to stick to VNs where he can afford to spend episodes on camping and baseball

Or even an entire VN about baseball! :V

That said, I do wonder how the Rewrite anime will be, considering they had to basically cram all of Little Busters' routes into two seasons somehow.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 03:18:11 PM »
If this is any sort of endorsement, normally I can't binge shows anymore. I will get bored about 4-5 eps in regardless of how good it is. My ADD is awful. This show I had to finish in one sitting it was so good and it hooked me so strongly. I still haven't stopped thinking about it and I want moooooooreeeeeee.

I'm the same way and watched this because of this thread. Just finished it.

God, it had so much potential but the pacing was just absurd. Definitely needed to be 26 episodes. Still p great for me to shotgun the whole show in a couple days.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 05:41:04 PM »
Yeah I'm just gonna say, I did like the characters and idea of the whole thing, but in the end I felt the anime kinda left me to be desired. And just like you said, it's because 13 episodes was too little to flesh things out.

This is just like Angel Beats and AIR. Both of those needed more episodes to flesh out more of the material. I didn't like how it just felt like they skipped all the potential character arcs in Angel Beats at the latter half with just a half-assed reasoning for all of them to just suddenly move on so easily, and I didn't like the pacing of AIR compared to the amount of source material they have in the VN apparently, especially with the other character routes.

I guess that's why I absolutely loved Kanon 2006 and CLANNAD. He had twice as many episodes to adapt the VNs into an anime and I think he gave the characters sufficient time to connect to them more because of this (Kanon 2006 is still my current absolute favourite anime, bar none). They really need to give him another 26 episode slot for him to work with.

Btw, I know it's minor and cheesy as all hell, but I did really like how the final power Yuu discovered was the simple power of courage. It made me smile at that and I thought that was a good way to end that "arc". Still gonna watch that OVA though!

EDIT: Then again, I was one of the people who watched it as it AIR'd (heh getit? :V), so maybe my experience with the anime varies greatly with those who binge watch it? I binge-watched the other Jun Maede anime so maybe that's why I thought anime like Angel Beats were so much better.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:03:39 PM by Gpop »

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2016, 06:48:34 PM »
I definitely think Charlotte ought to be binged. It's generally the case with these shows that are usually really stupid but you get used to it if you're watching consecutively. I remember when I binged Guilty Crown. I thought the first few episodes were the worst things ever and then I got used to it and finished it all in a day and a half.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2016, 10:07:28 PM »
My biggest issue was the pacing, to be sure. I liked the characters, but they could have stood to flesh Yusa/Misa and Takajo out a bit more, since I felt they were a little one dimensional. I really liked Nao, and Yu was am interesting character too.

But the pacing... It spent 5 episodes being lighthearted for the most part but then just slams you down to despair. It was too sudden and the impact was lost, I felt. And the fact that Ayumi's death wasn't announced until the episode after the event ruined its impact. The ending was extremely rushed too. Obviously you know the stakes are high, but you never get the emotional payoff, the following results of all Yu did to save everyone with abilities by taking them away. All you get is him in a hospital bed with destroyed memories. Does he ever get them back? Does he ever understand what he did? Does he get worse? Does he lose his abilities so they're all gone for good? Does Nao's brother ever fully recover?  It annoys me that there were so many loose ends.