Author Topic: Will ZUN Create a New IP?  (Read 2498 times)

Will ZUN Create a New IP?
« on: January 02, 2016, 01:54:15 PM »
This got me curious one day.

Will ZUN actually make a new IP other than Touhou all the time? Even though he has said that Touhou is all he can make, I don't think that's true at all. His games are quite creative with a new and fun mechanic in each installment, and I can see him making a new genre of games aswell to expand his universe/multiverse.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 01:58:57 PM by AzureAmulet »

Re: Will ZUN Create a New IP?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 03:56:59 PM »
I imagine that if he really wanted to, he could create a different genre of games still set within the Touhou universe (right now it already includes two very different ones. Fighting and Bullet-Hell)

If he wanted to create a new IP, it would be for a reason separate from wanting to make a different type of game.  Because any type of game genre could easily be adapted to the Touhou universe, as shown by all those various fan games.

That said, the Touhou-verse itself is malleable enough that it would have to be some really off-the-wall inspiration for it to be completely incompatible with Touhou.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 07:36:31 PM »
I reckon that if he wanted to, at this point he could focus solely on manga. I emphasize "could".

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 12:19:49 AM »
Assuming he still does almost all of the development himself, I doubt he really has time to make stuff for another IP without reducing the quality and/or rate of new content of Touhou.

So I'd guess he won't, unless such a time comes that he gets a bit tired of the series, or he's willing to mostly outsource the development of the new IP.

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 09:34:34 PM »
He says anything he makes will become Touhou, and I believe him.