Author Topic: 東方三月精 ~ Visionary Fairies in Shrine. "Gensokyo's Weakest Are Back."  (Read 88095 times)

I like the mix of light hearted and dark. Heartwarming and cynical. It's all good. Also, I'm not really the hugest fan of the original fairy comics, but Sunny is the best fairy and I will brook no argument. Unless you think Star is the best fairy, which is also acceptable.

And for what it's worth, the Comp Ace magazine (which runs FS, and the new fairy manga starting January 26) can be purchased in ebook format as of last month, so you can finally read the comics outside of Japan without paying huge shipping costs.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
After yesterday's (Jan 20 in Japan) editorial meeting with ZUN, Hirasaka tweeted, "It seems the next chapter of VFiS will be quite lively!" Guess we'll have the chance to see a lot of cameos.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 01:34:32 PM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

CyberAngel

• Retired
Sunny is the best fairy and I will brook no argument. Unless you think Star is the best fairy, which is also acceptable.

Amazing. How is it even possible to get something like this wrong twice in a row?

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Star Saph > literally all other fairies.

It's not complicated.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
In reality, Luna Child is the best in the trio.

Aaah just when I've felt I didn't praise them enough. As my standar goes, and generally speaking, I "don't like" faires... Still, the way the manga ended (Oriental Sacred Place) made me feel... weird. I've realized how lovely the trio were to the Touhou verse... late, and I regret it, I regret not fully enjoying them. That's why this makes me happy! I wanted them to "update" themselves to the new characters and stuff, the lovely Koishi and Kokoro comic Makoto did made me realize that...
 So yeah, I'm excited for their adventures and potential. I'm ready for more.
(hope to see some DDC cast)

My inner self desires more Luna Child...

cuc

This is the current live ZUN-related news thread, so I'm posting here to ensure people can see it.

In yesterday's Nikenme Radio, ZUN said, "This year I'll take a rest. Got lots of work to do..." ("Work" here refers to ZUN's formal contract-abiding jobs - writing the Touhou manga.) When Hojo (president of Reitaisai Committee) wanted him to confirm whether he has anything new to release at Reitaisai...
ZUN: There isn't.
Hojo: Is it like a surprise you can't show us until the last minute?
ZUN: The surprise is "no new release".

In short, he is unlikely to release a new main game this year.

Meanwhile, the list of registered circles for Reitaisai 13 has been released. We still have Team Shanghai Alice and Twilight Frontier on the list by default. A total of 3752 circles have applied, which should be down from Reitaisai 12 by a little bit. However Hojo told ZUN the number of circles has increased. Why? I don't get it. Hojo further stressed that the number of young applicants have increased.

Anyhow, here's a leaked VFiS spoiler for a new character. View it at your own discretion.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 03:00:56 PM by cuc »

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
sadface.jpg

Do we happen to have any knowledge on how closely ZUN supervises the creation of the official mangas?
Considering that the bulk of the work surely falls to Hirasaka, is it plausible to blame VFiS for the lack of games this year? Not that I need ZUN to explain himself for any reason, just asking out of curiosity and to refute such arguments, should they pop up.

Tengukami

Anyhow, here's a leaked VFiS spoiler for a new character. View it at your own discretion.

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of weebs suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

cuc

Do we happen to have any knowledge on how closely ZUN supervises the creation of the official mangas?
Considering that the bulk of the work surely falls to Hirasaka, is it plausible to blame VFiS for the lack of games this year? Not that I need ZUN to explain himself for any reason, just asking out of curiosity and to refute such arguments, should they pop up.
The only supervision he does is those editorial meetings. He is good at procrastinating until the deadline though.

I don't think the manga work is the real reason. He also said he wants to focus on raising his son this year. Really, that's the only thing he needs to say.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 04:00:26 PM by cuc »

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
The obvious choice.

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
The only supervision he does is those editorial meetings. He is good at procrastinating until the deadline though.

I don't think the manga work is the real reason. He also said he wants to focus on raising his son this year. Really, that's the only thing he needs to say.
Fair enough. Makes me feel better about the whole deal too.

kevin1127

• 古明地こいし is cute and beautiful!!
They say there is no guest character in new FS, but it's ok bacause THIS totally makes up for it.
I think this is the first LoLK character who is officially (not cameo) introduced in the manga

I thought that ZUN wrote the mangas. Or was I mistaken?

You know what? I am strangely okay with ZUN taking a year off to focus on ZUNior. Children develop at a accelerated rate when they are in their infancy so this is the time when ZUNior is going to need both his parents attention the most in his life. Lets have ZUN tell stories of Reimu and co to ZUNior while he tucks him to bed so that the seeds of interest are planted and ZUNior could possibly continue the legacy when ZUN retires.  :derp:

Also, who is to say that ZUN won't experiment on his keyboard, create more character art and just generally throw ideas around his head for the next game in his down time? He is an artist so he will always be thinking of something to create next. The more time he has to plan and tinker for the next game, the better it will be!  :D

... I just hope that with a year vacation that ZUN wants to have from game making, his desire to create games doesn't fade until he simply doesn't want to do it anymore and focus on something else. He might wake up one morning and go "SCREW IT, I WANT TO CREATE BEEEEEEEEEEEEERRR!".  :V

Tengukami

I don't think there's anything strange about being okay with a guy taking time off to care for his only child. "Strange" would be being angry about it.

Ok, maybe not "strange" given the levels of entitlement in this community sometimes. Maybe more like "disappointing". Being okay with it is kind of what you'd expect of a decent human being.

Plubio

• 宇宙少年
    • Suzunaan
I hope nobody is really angry for this. In fact I'm quite happy ZUN decided it ? you know, he deserves a rest.
What's more, is not like there won't be any Touhou this year. We have the three mangas, as well as the upcoming two issues of SCoOW.

C'mon

Well, its a waiting game to read the new fairies manga.

Side topic:  I wonder if ZUN ever told her the canon reason why Sunny Milk hates Lilly White.

I don't think Sunny Milk hates Lily White, she just fears her.

*sigh*... I feel as though I have to read all of Sangetsusei before I can really start this new addition properly. So much backlog reading to do!  :X

I don't think there's anything strange about being okay with a guy taking time off to care for his only child.

What I meant was that I expected myself to feel disappointed when hearing there would not be any new games coming soon. On the contrary; ZUN deserves his break and considering the wealth of content we have available already, the fans can hold out for awhile before needing another Touhou fix. He pushed himself hard with making LoLK and meeting deadlines for it as a one man team so so I say let him go.

I don't think Sunny Milk hates Lily White, she just fears her.

Who doesn't fear Lily White when she comes for you in PoFV? The last thing I want when dealing with Shiki and her huge bursts of RNG bullets is Lily coming out of nowhere and slapping my hitbox around... It's ALWAYS when your screen is at its busiest moment.  :V

Meanwhile, the list of registered circles for Reitaisai 13 has been released. We still have Team Shanghai Alice and Twilight Frontier on the list by default. A total of 3752 circles have applied, which should be down from Reitaisai 12 by a little bit. However Hojo told ZUN the number of circles has increased. Why? I don't get it. Hojo further stressed that the number of young applicants have increased.

Shouldn't someone tell ZUN about this?

UTW

I thought that ZUN wrote the mangas. Or was I mistaken?

He writes the manga in name, but leaves it to the artists a lot, as well. His involvement varies.

In SSiB I don't think he had much oversight. He just hit on important plot points and script, but with not very much detail, and left Aki Eda to her own devices otherwise. Inaba x Inaba is essentially just ascended fanon with ZUN's blessing. Since that one is just a gag comic there isn't as much need to exercise control. I want to say he also trusted Makoto Hirasaka with a lot, giving him more control over what the fairies do and just giving him basic plots to work with.

In WaHH and FS I feel like he retained much greater control. This is based on something either of their artists said, something about ZUN being pretty controlling with certain panels and the expressions in them. I'm almost certain he writes a larger portion of the script than he ever has and details more of what should be done, though still with input from the artists (see the heavy use of males in FS, which I'm almost certain is something Harukawa wanted to do).

In essence, I think he does manga the way he does the fighting games, entrusting a lot to Tasofro/the manga artists based on his basic scripts and plots. If they go too far off track on review then he dials it back or nixes what he doesn't like, which goes on until they reach the final product.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 03:13:25 PM by UTW »

He said in an interview or something (been a long time. I forget what) that he just suggested who should appear next in Inaba x Inaba.  So you can at least chalk up some of the character appearances to him.  That's about it though

Doki-Doki

• Oki-Dokie!
  • Ooh, scary, scary!
Apologies if I didn't understand this correctly but, do main games = the spinoffs too? So there wont be any 2hu 15 spinoffs this year?

Drake

"Main games" do not usually mean spinoffs (hence "main"), but judging by what he said it seems likely that there won't be any new releases regardless. This was in response to asking about releasing something at Reitaisai in May, so perhaps something could change later in the year, but ZUN never releases new work at Winter Comiket anyways.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Plubio

• 宇宙少年
    • Suzunaan
But ZUN never releases new work at Winter Comiket anyways.

We had PCB's demo (well it doesn't count) and first Bunkachou on Winter tho.
Who knows, actually. Anyway you're kinda right: aside from CDs he doesn't launch full games on Winter ket anyway.

EDIT: UNLESS you mean "new work" as "not a .5" game. Then my bad.

PCB's Trial+ was released at Winter Comiket because there was no Reitaisai back then, and ZUN began work on PCB way earlier than usual since EoSD was already mostly done by early 2002.

kevin1127

• 古明地こいし is cute and beautiful!!
Spoiler:
Apparently Clownpiece is going to stay with the three fairies

I would buy this without a second-thought if i can read Japanese. ;A;  Really want sometime to study the language.

As a last year college student who recently got into touhou, it gladdens me that this series is still pumping out new things for fans and will stay for sometimes to come.

Espadas

• You're gonna have a bad time
Spoiler:
Apparently Clownpiece is going to stay with the three fairies

If by that you mean
Spoiler:
that she will take residence in that vague spot near the Hakurei Shrine and actually live there with the 3 fairies
i'll be a really happy skeleton! More food for fanfictions and fanarts *_*

As for ZUN not releasing a new game, well to be honest i was kinda expecting this since the day they announced the birth of the child. He works alone and maintaining a stable schedule for basically a decade is no small feat, with a baby in the equation it would be unreasonable to expect no changes....

Spoiler:
She does not live with the three fairies, she lives separately underneath the shrine (without Reimu's knowledge).